Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

incoherent posted:

2008 R2 is supported till 2020 or some such it's still a valid platform to learn.

2008 though, yeah forget it.

Server 2008 & 2008R2 have the exact same support lifetime, they drop off mainstream support (so no more hotfixes outside of security stuff unless you have the $$$ contract in place) next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Frag Viper posted:

I just passed ICND1 (100-101) using the Lammle book and CBT Nuggets.

The test itself wasn't that hard and I probably over prepared for it. I was expecting something a little more difficult. I did the crappiest in the security sections because I encountered a few simlets that were asking questions that weren't covered in the book or nuggets.

I didn't encounter a single IPv6 question either which I thought was strange. There were a ton of subnetting questions, and a bunch of other random trouble shoot this connectivity scenario questions/simlets. I'll knock the second part out in a month or so.

Did your work pay for CBT Nuggets or did you :filez: the videos?

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Work did. They're even paying for the testing which is pretty cool.

Too bad we use HP for our switches though.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

incoherent posted:

2008 R2 is supported till 2020 or some such it's still a valid platform to learn.

Right, my fault - I'm talking about 2008R2/2012R2 certs and their relevant tests.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Frag Viper posted:

Work did. They're even paying for the testing which is pretty cool.

Too bad we use HP for our switches though.

Nice, my work will reimburse me for the test provided I pass, although I'm 99% sure I can convince my manager to front the cash and, in the event I do fail, not have to pay it back and they'll pay for a second. They won't pay for study materials, although the lammle book is only like $30 or something (I forget if I got it on sale or if that was the actual price), but CBT Nuggest I'll probably :filez: if it's possible.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Mad Wack posted:

A typical PM's day ... is several days worth of back to back meetings with stakeholders at various levels, calls and text messages to executives ... very late night (think 1AM) and early morning calls to testers in other countries, overseas outsourced programmers, etc.

Reaffirming for me my complete lack of interest in pursuing a PMP certification/career. Kudos to the people who can do it but man, that is not for me.

Regardless, thanks very much for the reading list, I noticed the same (people's questions going unanswered).

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Mad Wack posted:

Hey I noticed the PMP question :words:

That's incredibly impressive, how'd did you end up in project management?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Tab8715 posted:

That's incredibly impressive, how'd did you end up in project management?

It sort of snuck up on me. Every job I took I just ended up with a side IT project even though I originally started out doing Pharmaceutical Marketing. It crept over my career like a slowly rising tide of icy doom until at some point I realized it had consumed me and I was more PM then marketing guy. I think I just have the sort of personality type that makes people assume I'm the PM even if I'm not.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How'd would you describe your personality type?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Frag Viper posted:

I just passed ICND1 (100-101) using the Lammle book and CBT Nuggets.

The test itself wasn't that hard and I probably over prepared for it. I was expecting something a little more difficult. I did the crappiest in the security sections because I encountered a few simlets that were asking questions that weren't covered in the book or nuggets.

I didn't encounter a single IPv6 question either which I thought was strange. There were a ton of subnetting questions, and a bunch of other random trouble shoot this connectivity scenario questions/simlets. I'll knock the second part out in a month or so.

IIRC the IPV6 stuff might be concentrated in ICND2, but don't quote me on that. from my experience it was mostly stupidly easy stuff like "which one of these is a properly shortened address" or whatever. Might be EIGRP6 or OSPF3, but those are actually easier to configure than the IPV4 versions, funny enough.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I just finished my CNA150 class before the holidays. I have about 11 days to study for CCENT exam. Whats the best way to study with that much time? I was thinking of getting the Lammle book and using the 7 day free trial of CBT Nuggets. Is that too much material for 11 days?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

incoherent posted:

As an MSP, we're seeing alot of customers move to 2012 r2 now. They've realised there is little point in asking us to build servers today, that they will ask us to rebuild again in 3 years because its almost out of support. 2012 has been out coming up for 3 years, and r2 has been out for a year and a half. Its matured to the point where it is stable enough, and a majority of applications support both OS's now.

I'd say go straight for the 2012 certs. Especially with the amount of time it can take to get an MCSA whilst learning around a full time job/real life/etc.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 8, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for answering the PM questions - after sleeping on it last week I realized that the sheer amount of meetings would basically put an end to me as a human and your post reaffirms it. At least with the nuts and bolts I can be at my desk doing stuff, not wasting time in a room.

Ahdinko posted:

As an MSP, we're seeing alot of customers move to 2012 r2 now. They've realised there is little point in asking us to build servers today, that they will ask us to rebuild again in 3 years because its almost out of support. 2012 has been out coming up for 3 years, and r2 has been out for a year and a half. Its matured to the point where it is stable enough, and a majority of applications support both OS's now.

I'd say go straight for the 2012 certs. Especially with the amount of time it can take to get an MCSA whilst learning around a full time job/real life/etc.

It's definitely beneficial for smaller companies - basically any MSP client that only wants stable, outsourced technology - to go straight to 2012. But I'd say that covering all your bases with four exams - which are definitely doable while working a full-time job, just spend an hour a day studying, or study/practice during work downtime/lunches - is a far better investment of your time than being short on what's still the current realistic standard vs. being up on the bleeding-edge.

Again, just my opinion. Budget 3 months study per exam if you're really uncertain and going through the books for the first time ever, and you'll be on track.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Of our supported companies, the one that wanted to adopt 2012 R2 the most is around 2000 users big, so YMMV.

2003 is coming out of support in 6 months time, and alot of businesses are looking to migrate all the old poo poo they never bothered to migrate or never had the budget to, and are making alot of noise to get said budget before they get stuck on an unsupported OS. We've had quite alot of leads recently from companies that want to go from 2003, straight up to 2012 r2 because they are realising that going to 2008 r2 will give them 3-4 years before having to do this again, or they can go all the way up to 2012 r2 and get a good 8-10 years of lifespan.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 8, 2015

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Alain Post posted:

IIRC the IPV6 stuff might be concentrated in ICND2, but don't quote me on that. from my experience it was mostly stupidly easy stuff like "which one of these is a properly shortened address" or whatever. Might be EIGRP6 or OSPF3, but those are actually easier to configure than the IPV4 versions, funny enough.

I took the ICND2 about a month ago and finally passed it. Took the test a total of three times, I think I had a total of one IPV6 question on all three of them.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mad Wack posted:

Great PMP stuff...

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. Whats your background before you started in Project Management?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure I convinced my boss to purchase a department subscription for CBT Nuggets. He said he'll have to talk to someone but seemed pretty certain we'd get it. :peanut:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Tab8715 posted:

How'd would you describe your personality type?

I'm a person who likes interacting with people and seeking consensus. Lots of change and uncertainty in my work environment is exciting for me. I enjoy planning things down to the last detail, as well as investigating things that don't make sense (Why is this tester taking 90 person hours to do a test that the other testers were able to complete in 4? Am I confident my vendors aren't lying to me when they give me dates? Is this budget going to be enough or do I need to start the process to get more money... 3 months before I need it?)

I'm effective but I wouldn't say my style is the norm. universally respected project managers tend to be very cool customers. They never get emotional, document everything that happens around them, and escalate any issues they can't personally handle in a quick and professional manner.

I've seen many different personality types work but the most respected/effective PMs are either the type I just mentioned, or aggressive "bulldog" types who are so drat smart nobody can call them out when they get upset. The latter personality type works better in Non-IT project management, e.g. construction.

[quote="Hughmoris" post=""439951364"]
Thanks for taking the time to write that up. Whats your background before you started in Project Management?
[/quote]
"Non-traditional" - I have a BA in Psychology, and I was working retail pharmacy until a pharma company directly recruited me into a sales support role. From there I worked various projects until I ended up in Marketing. I wanted to move into a less pharma dependent role because the industry is shedding jobs like crazy so I went back to school while working and got an MS in Predictive Analytics and started applying to data scientist type jobs. While I was working on that I leveraged the degree and my project experience to spend a year and a half as a director of project management in a smaller company, then went on into the program management role.

I've found that if you are vocal about what you're passionate about you start to find opportunities that move you in that direction. Also don't hesitate to try out new things and leave your comfort zone, it's how I've moved into roles that are better aligned with who I am.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What info do nuggets provide that the course books don't?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Bigass Moth posted:

What info do nuggets provide that the course books don't?

None. It's just a different style of presentation that lots of people (myself included) find to be helpful. They aren't really a replacement to a book (or a class, if it's that type of certification), but they're a good supplement that may help to shorten how long you take to prepare for an exam and/or enhance your understanding and retention of it.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

None. It's just a different style of presentation that lots of people (myself included) find to be helpful. They aren't really a replacement to a book (or a class, if it's that type of certification), but they're a good supplement that may help to shorten how long you take to prepare for an exam and/or enhance your understanding and retention of it.

I beg to differ on that one, I passed my ICND1, ICND2, BCMSN and ROUTE using only CBT Nuggets, GNS3 and £200 of lab equipment that I got on Ebay.

CBT Nuggets seem to have alot of high quality video training that's just a hell of alot more interesting to sit through than reading a book. Im only speaking for stuff done by Jeremy Cioara here as its the only stuff I've watched, but he puts enough personality into it that I actually don't mind sitting there for 2 hours straight just watching his videos, whereas a book is normally so dry that I want to put it down after 10 minutes.

My coworkers speak highly of their latest MCSA & VMware training too.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 8, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Registered for the CCNA: Wireless in two weeks. Been sitting on the knowledge for the better part of 6-7 months, so just need to do a quick review. Any tips?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Ahdinko posted:

I beg to differ on that one, I passed my ICND1, ICND2, BCMSN and ROUTE using only CBT Nuggets, GNS3 and £200 of lab equipment that I got on Ebay.

CBT Nuggets seem to have alot of high quality video training that's just a hell of alot more interesting to sit through than reading a book. Im only speaking for stuff done by Jeremy Cioara here as its the only stuff I've watched, but he puts enough personality into it that I actually don't mind sitting there for 2 hours straight just watching his videos, whereas a book is normally so dry that I want to put it down after 10 minutes.

My coworkers speak highly of their latest MCSA & VMware training too.

If you liked Jeremy Cioara I'd love to hear what you think of James Conrad (MCSAs) - he seems to be completely divisive. I quite like him personally.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

If you liked Jeremy Cioara I'd love to hear what you think of James Conrad (MCSAs) - he seems to be completely divisive. I quite like him personally.

I see James Conrad as someone teaching a comedy defensive driving course. You are tasked with learning something that may or may not be kinda dull, but he tries his best to liven it up as best he can. I think he's alright, even with his overly perky attitude

Solo
Mar 25, 2003
Funny text here
I find he tries a bit too hard with his weird metaphors. Sure he makes things a bit lively, but some of his jokes are toe-cringingly bad.

My job is a MSP, and they pay for everything, and gives payrises for each exam passed. Not just for full certs, flat payrise for each part of the cert. And they have a corporate CBT accounT. I'm in cert-heaven. On my way to Win8 and Win 2012 MSCA's, and gonna do Sec+ next.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Solo posted:

I find he tries a bit too hard with his weird metaphors. Sure he makes things a bit lively, but some of his jokes are toe-cringingly bad.

I sorta found that endearing though, those "Heh... heh heh...s" he'd make whenever the joke petered out were hilarious.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Work paid for the class, so now it's up to me to pass VCP5.5-DCV. I just ordered 16 extra gigs for my esxi box for labbing it up, and grabbed every manual mentioned in the objectives. The veeam study guide seems to be pretty decent as well. Short of buying something like the Brian Atkinson book, are there any other free resources/guides i'm overlooking?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
You've got mastering VMware 5.5 by Scott Lowe, right? That's going to be your best resource.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Passed the CISSP today. Woo. Took a little over 4 hours.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

DirtyFalcon posted:

Passed the CISSP today. Woo. Took a little over 4 hours.

Congrats! How was it? And how did you prepare?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Can anyone recommend a good CCNA video series to complement the book? I just hit VLSM material and I don't think the Youtube INETraining series is really helping compared to what I'm learning in Lammle's book.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

psydude posted:

Congrats! How was it? And how did you prepare?

I bought the Eric Conrad book and his 11th hour review and used those primarily. I bought the Shon Harris tome and ended up not even opening it.

Read the Conrad book two weeks prior to the test and watched some of the cbd nugget videos (you can sign up for a free seven day trial) and read the sunflower guide the day before the exam.

My exam experience is pretty much the same as others here. Read the questions carefully and you will be alright. I marked 70 or so for review and went back and changed my answers on a lot of them.

Overall opinion: it's a long expansion of the security+.

Dr. Kayak Paddle fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 13, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

How heavily did it hit on the governance/framework/policy stuff versus the technical stuff? Or was it all evenly distributed?

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Without going into detail (NDAs and whatnot) I'd say mine way 80/20 non-technical/technical...But that supposedly can vary wildly from test to test.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Bigass Moth posted:

Can anyone recommend a good CCNA video series to complement the book? I just hit VLSM material and I don't think the Youtube INETraining series is really helping compared to what I'm learning in Lammle's book.

CBT Nuggets are very good.

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

Bigass Moth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmdYg02XJt6QRQfYjyQcMPfS3mrSnFbRC

My process was to read a chapter of the Lammle Book and then watch the corresponding video from this guy. He also walks you through some labs on packet tracer so you can get a feel for what the command line will spit back at you.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Anyone take the CCENT exam recently? Did it have many questions involving ACLs and NAT?

The Interpolator
Jan 20, 2004
Unorigional Bastard

Charliegrs posted:

Anyone take the CCENT exam recently? Did it have many questions involving ACLs and NAT?

Yes.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I have about two months before my CCNA expires, so I need to bust something out. I'm brushing up on what I've forgotten from the last few years of not tooling around with Cisco kit, and I think it would be pretty painless to just resit the CCNA. Of course if I'm shelling out the cash I'd rather pick up something shiny and new for the resume.

What is the relative difficulty of CCNA Data Center / Security / Voice? Or maybe just knocking out ROUTE or SWITCH?

Voice is the one I'm most interested in, but also seems to be the one that would require the most $$$ in physical kit to lab, and I mostly just have GNS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
CCNA Security was pretty easy when I sat it- took a month of study and probably could have been less. I've heard CCNA DC is easy too, but doesn't that require two tests to get?