Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

CzarChasm posted:

My wife and I were having a discussion the other day, and neither of us could come up with an answer. We were wondering why Boba Fett was seen as such a cool character in the movies? Ok, yeah, there's all the 'cool' stuff he does in the EU books, but he doesn't do a drat thing in the movies that anybody else could have done.

He mouths off to Darth Vader, who is, like, the epitome of Disappointed Space Dad. You just know Fett should be sent to his room without dinner, but he's not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
He's the same reason The Plague are awesome in Hobo With a Shotgun - blank slate mysterious/masked bounty hunters who have awesome armor and batman gadgets. The details that you do find out about the Plague are loving hilarious, though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I always liked Boba Fett because he's this peripheral character who walks in to this universe. Like, he doesn't really get an introduction, he's just sort of there. And it hints at this bigger world outside.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I would go so far as to say the one of the main reasons the EU exists is that there are a ton of interesting looking characters just hanging around in Star Wars not doing anything, like IG-88. He looks cool enough that you wonder "what's that guy's deal?"

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

As well as everything else mentioned, Boba Fett used to have a cool voice, before Lucas changed it for no reason.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I would go so far as to say the one of the main reasons the EU exists is that there are a ton of interesting looking characters just hanging around in Star Wars not doing anything, like IG-88. He looks cool enough that you wonder "what's that guy's deal?"

Apparently the answer is "to get uploaded into the second Death Star".

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
There's a lot of history behind the action figure and character which I think explains the reason why he was so popular.

http://www.retrojunk.com/article/show/2002/star-wars-figures-a-history

Also the aforementioned cool design and jet pack.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Since I have no cell phone (for a couple more days), no transportation, and three straight off days starting tonight, I'm going to watch Ken Burns' Civil War, La Commune (Paris 1871), and A Grin Without a Cat. This oughta be interesting.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Criminal Minded posted:

Since I have no cell phone (for a couple more days), no transportation, and three straight off days starting tonight, I'm going to watch Ken Burns' Civil War, La Commune (Paris 1871), and A Grin Without a Cat. This oughta be interesting.

There are days when I'll call The Civil War the greatest film ever made.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

penismightier posted:

It's really inexcusable for me to not have seen any Burns at this point in time, especially given my vague fascination (which is to say I've never really tackled the subject with any seriousness) with the Civil War. So I'm pretty loving hype.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

penismightier posted:

Yeah. It's pretty perfect.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

penismightier posted:

It's the only TV show I've ever bothered to rate on Criticker because I'm comfortable labeling it a 'movie.'

And yeah it's soooooo loving good. Sometimes I'll just go back and watch the first 20 or so minutes because it's been too long since a movie gave me chills.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Criminal Minded posted:

Peter Watkins is a really good filmmaker. I tell myself that one of these days I'm going to sit down and watch The Journey over a week or something but then I just think about it and it seems so intimidating

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

penismightier posted:

I like his Jack Johnson movie better.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Slate Action posted:

It's the only TV show I've ever bothered to rate on Criticker because I'm comfortable labeling it a 'movie.'

And yeah it's soooooo loving good. Sometimes I'll just go back and watch the first 20 or so minutes because it's been too long since a movie gave me chills.

I remember I did some internet thing once about "best opening lines in cinema" and I chose "By the summer of 1861, Wilmer McLean had had enough."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Civil War breezes by really quick for something so long and dry. I blew through it in like two days

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Criminal Minded posted:

That's a hell of a lineup. That's three one hundreds on Criticker!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's a hell of a lineup. That's three one hundreds on Criticker!

You're most of the reason I'm watching La Commune.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CzarChasm posted:

We were wondering why Boba Fett was seen as such a cool character in the movies?

Good posture, confident and no-nonsense direct voice, bonus cape et al. He's like a nonchalant Darth Vader.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Criminal Minded posted:

You're most of the reason I'm watching La Commune.

I'm proud of that, then.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

My wife and I were having a discussion the other day, and neither of us could come up with an answer. We were wondering why Boba Fett was seen as such a cool character in the movies? Ok, yeah, there's all the 'cool' stuff he does in the EU books, but he doesn't do a drat thing in the movies that anybody else could have done.

Mouthing off to Vader was already covered. In addition to that, Vader has to tell Fett specifically out of all the bounty hunters there, not to be his usual destructive self. This is coming from a guy who has spent the previous two movies killing or threatening admirals and generals.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

The same reason most people fawn over any character that didn't do that much in Star Wars: they looked cool.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

penismightier posted:

I remember I did some internet thing once about "best opening lines in cinema" and I chose "By the summer of 1861, Wilmer McLean had had enough."

God Damm if that's not my favorite civil war story to boot. David McCullough should have won something for his narration. It's loving perfect.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

In The Godfather, when Kay comes to the house and tries to give Tom a letter to send to Michael, there's a wrecked car and she asks, "What's that?" Tom replies, "That's an accident, but no one was hurt."

What is the point of this moment? They wouldn't have gone to the trouble of setting up a wrecked car for just a throwaway line.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

In The Godfather, when Kay comes to the house and tries to give Tom a letter to send to Michael, there's a wrecked car and she asks, "What's that?" Tom replies, "That's an accident, but no one was hurt."

What is the point of this moment? They wouldn't have gone to the trouble of setting up a wrecked car for just a throwaway line.

I assume that the "accident" was mob-related and it's to demonstrate that Kay is shut out of and oblivious to that world

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Also to show that the war is going on.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

He's also the only bounty hunter smart enough to know about the sneaky trick Han pulled by stapling the Falcon to the back of an ISD and releasing with the trash. So he demonstrates his skills pretty quickly.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

It has a very specific callback of sorts. When Michael is asking Tom about Kay and his son, Tom tells him he bought his son a little car he could drive around for Christmas, and then tells Michael that Kay "had an accident".

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I was listening to the We Hate Movies episode about Mystery Men and they mentioned that there's a fairly long-standing rumor that Mystery Men was originally directed by Tim Burton but at some point he was unsatisfied and left the project and the movie was finished by and credited to Kinka Usher who was originally working on the movie in a smaller capacity. I'm usually skeptical of rumors like that but in his biography Tom Waits also says that Burton worked on the movie, is this a commonly-accepted thing?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

The script says it was a bomb. CTRL F "bomb" http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Godfather.html

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

I was listening to the We Hate Movies episode about Mystery Men and they mentioned that there's a fairly long-standing rumor that Mystery Men was originally directed by Tim Burton but at some point he was unsatisfied and left the project and the movie was finished by and credited to Kinka Usher who was originally working on the movie in a smaller capacity. I'm usually skeptical of rumors like that but in his biography Tom Waits also says that Burton worked on the movie, is this a commonly-accepted thing?

It's more likely that it was ghost-directed by Burton. Sometimes when an unproven director is on set they'll have the more accomplished one as a standby. When John Woo was directing Hard Target Sam Raimi was on the set everyday just as an insurance thing. It's certainly not something he walked away from unsatisfied, but the way I understood it it's that it was a Poltergeist situation, with Burton being present and approving shots.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

DrVenkman posted:

It's more likely that it was ghost-directed by Burton. Sometimes when an unproven director is on set they'll have the more accomplished one as a standby. When John Woo was directing Hard Target Sam Raimi was on the set everyday just as an insurance thing. It's certainly not something he walked away from unsatisfied, but the way I understood it it's that it was a Poltergeist situation, with Burton being present and approving shots.

Yay! I wanted more bad movies to be made! Add another chapter to the What Could Have Been Great book by GL!

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 8, 2015

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

DrVenkman posted:

When John Woo was directing Hard Target Sam Raimi was on the set everyday just as an insurance thing.

That... that actually explains a lot about Hard Target. Especially Ted's bizarre cameo.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

DrVenkman posted:

Nah, Waits' biographer apparently just got fooled by a spoof.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CzarChasm posted:

Because Darth Vader points at him specifically and says "No disintegrations!"

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Trying to watch Cast Away since I remember loving it but, my god these pre-crash scenes are just unwatchable.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

marktheando posted:

As well as everything else mentioned, Boba Fett used to have a cool voice, before Lucas changed it for no reason.

I remember laughing out loud when I first heard the redub. Oh George.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

penismightier posted:

Trying to watch Cast Away since I remember loving it but, my god these pre-crash scenes are just unwatchable.

Why are they unwatchable? I like Cast Away, but it's been a long time since I've watched it and genuinely want to hear your opinion.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

poonchasta posted:

Why are they unwatchable? I like Cast Away, but it's been a long time since I've watched it and genuinely want to hear your opinion.

It's just so screwball schmaltzy, and the Fed Ex product placement is pretty exhausting now. Plane just crashed though, things are picking up.

I think part of it is that Cast Away was the first film of its type in about 30 years, and now that we have Cast Away we also have a dozen or so ones like it, which means the 30 minutes of preamble before the crash feels a little luxurious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

To be fair it's been a rumour since the movie came out. It would certainly explain how an unknown director suddenly got to make that movie before vanishing again. I think it's most likely just that Burton was on set and he oversaw production as insurance. It's not that uncommon (Paul Thomas Anderson worked on Robert Altman's latter movies in the same capacity, mainly because Altman was very ill at the time).