Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strong Style Liger
Mar 10, 2013
I watched Den-O through TV-N before I really knew much about the wider fan subbing community. I can see how they're flawed and how people take sides, but it's really not worth going to insults over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Literally The Worst posted:

And this is why you're dumb.

Seriously, I've been trying to have a civil discussion. I've stated my case, and even explicitly said that I can totally see/agree with the opposing argument. Stop being a dick for no reason.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

Seriously, I've been trying to have a civil discussion. I've stated my case, and even explicitly said that I can totally see/agree with the opposing argument. Stop being a dick for no reason.

I have plenty of reason. The reason is you have dumb opinions that are wrong and facilitate idiots like TVN.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Look I totally get why it's lazy garbage but I still want it to happen. Don't make fun of me though I'll get my boxers in a wad and cry about it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I have plenty of reason. The reason is you have dumb opinions that are wrong and facilitate idiots like TVN.

Look I totally get why it's lazy garbage but I still want it to happen. Don't make fun of me though I'll get my boxers in a wad and cry about it.

I'm getting frustrated because you've taken it upon yourself to personally attack me, rather than my argument. Yes, I can understand why someone would want the honorifics translated and relationships contextualized rather than revealed via forms of address, and I have no real problem with O-T and other sub groups removing them. But I personally, as someone who understands enough about Japanese culture to get the nuance, appreciate having the honorifics in the subtitles, as I often don't catch them aurally (at least on first watching).

And I really don't see how "having an opinion" facilitates TVN, especially since I've also pointed out the other flaws of TVN's work. They just happen to do one thing I appreciate.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Your argument is dumb and so are you.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I agree with jivjov. I think honorifics are pretty cool and personally prefer them, but also get why others would rather they not be included.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WickedHate posted:

I agree with jivjov. I think honorifics are pretty cool and personally prefer them, but also get why others would rather they not be included.

You're also an idiot though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You know what's great? Having things obfuscated behind a language that the viewer doesn't speak. Really makes translating shows worthwhile

- a smart opinion held by smart people

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So you really like to live up to your own user name and also double post, 'eh?

OK cool. You keep doin what you're doing I'm sure it'll work wonders for you in the long run.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

So you really like to live up to your own user name and also double post, 'eh?

OK cool. You keep doin what you're doing I'm sure it'll work wonders for you in the long run.

Oh no people with bad opinions don't like me whatver shall I dooooooo

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
You seem like an awful pleasant guy.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Waffleman_ posted:

No, TVN called them Braves. There was a whole onoretvn post about how it was actually kinda unintentionally offensive.
Somebody explain this one to me please, genuine question. (European here)

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I thought that all the posts in the thread meant everyone had come around to admitting that ToQGer is amazing and maybe better then Kyoryuger.

I was wrong

Zedd posted:

Native American Warriors were called Braves, off of the French Bravo. I think. That was how it was explained to me when I asked about the origin of the term.

It could be taken as insulting to the Native American Tribes to take their wording for their Warriors. I think? I'm not entirely sure myself but that's my best guess.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Zedd posted:

Braves is a term for a kind of Native Americans.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

You seem like an awful pleasant guy.

I actually am! I just have zero tolerance for bullshit nerd masturbation and this thread has some posters who delight in it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Tae posted:

Braves is a term for a kind of Native Americans.
Ah right, I figured something like that.
Might be me being really insensitive but I would think the heroes being called the same as a genocided population is well, brave.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

I actually am! I just have zero tolerance for bullshit nerd masturbation and this thread has some posters who delight in it.

Man I even agree with you about honorifics but IMO you should take it easy. A bad opinion about fansubs for a TV show aimed at kids isn't really worth getting feisty over

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Man I even agree with you about honorifics but IMO you should take it easy. A bad opinion about fansubs for a TV show aimed at kids isn't really worth getting feisty over

Nah yelling at dumb people is a fine thing to be feisty about it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Well really that's up to you, things are just generally better when everyone is chill and gets along if you ask me

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I have never, EVER heard of this Native American brave thing. Its not a big deal.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

RBX posted:

I have never, EVER heard of this Native American brave thing. Its not a big deal.

That's kind of a lovely way to approach things like this.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I don't think the word "brave" is as intrinsically racially charged as certain other words...and context matters too, I can't imagine anyone (either in Japan or on TVN staff) are referencing Native American peoples.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

RBX posted:

There's literally a major league baseball team called the Atlanta Braves, just cause you're ignorant of it doesn't make it obscure

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

jivjov posted:

I don't think the word "brave" is as intrinsically racially charged as certain other words...and context matters too, I can't imagine anyone (either in Japan or on TVN staff) are referencing Native American peoples.

'Brave' isn't racially charged just as a word, but when it's being used as a noun it has some pretty unfortunate racial connotations. They really should've researched it and its history before slapping it in to try and be clever but I guess if they bothered to do more than the barest minimum of effort they wouldn't be TV-Nihon

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
"Brave(s)" as a derogatory for Native American(s) has fallen out of use nowadays but that doesn't mean it no longer carries the connotations it once had.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RBX posted:

I suggest living in a house instead of under a rock.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Stallion Cabana posted:

I thought that all the posts in the thread meant everyone had come around to admitting that ToQGer is amazing and maybe better then Kyoryuger.

ToQger is amazing though. Like, if you told me I'd like ToQger or even that I'd see it as anything other than mediocre (if watchable, unlike Goseiger's brand of mediocrity) I'd call you an idiot, but holy poo poo ToQger is really, really good. Yasuko Kobayashi, I should have never doubted you, I know you're talented but I doubted you, and I am sorry.

In retrospect, doubting the person behind Shinkenger and Go-Busters, two of my favourite Sentai (the former basically my Nš1 Sentai) was a really weird move from my part, but TQG really started boring. Now though? Zed is one of my favourite villains ever (perhaps not as good as Enter...another Kobayashi villain, go figure, but really good), Akira added what the heroes needed and they've become more enjoyable (although really it's mostly Tokacchi and Akira who are likable, Right has his moments, the other three are there and mostly forgettable, not exactly the Shinkengers), the villain team in general is just insanely good and I'd watch a series about them (Schwartz's death is the saddest moment in the series in my opinion)...man, TQG is just really good.

I hope Toei keeps sticking to good writers. Sanjo and Kobayashi are just really, really good, and having Urobuchi for the previous Kamen Rider was also super enjoyable, not to mention Kazuki "Gurren-Lagann" Nakashima on Fourze before him. I can name series outside Toku from all of these that I enjoy a lot too, like I'll tell everyone here to go watch Garo the Animation right now because that poo poo is great and Kobayashi's writing shines as per usual. Plus it's related to toku, so you know, it makes sense to promote it in this thread even if it has a thread of its own.

Anyone know anything about Kento Shimoyama, by the way? He's the writer for Ninninger, but unlike all of those names I typed I have no idea about him. I want to believe though, after so many good Sentai (hell, good Super Hero Time series in general) in a row it'd be sad to get a bad one.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Oh no people with bad opinions don't like me whatver shall I dooooooo

I think you need to calm down, Literally the Worst-chan*.

*translator note: Chan (ちゃん [t͡ɕaɴ]) is a diminutive suffix; it expresses that the speaker finds a person endearing. In general, chan is used for babies, young children, grandparents and teenagers. It may also be used towards cute animals, lovers, close friends, any youthful woman, or between friends.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Neowyrm posted:

I think you need to calm down, Literally the Worst-chan*.

*translator note: Chan (ちゃん [t͡ɕaɴ]) is a diminutive suffix; it expresses that the speaker finds a person endearing. In general, chan is used for babies, young children, grandparents and teenagers. It may also be used towards cute animals, lovers, close friends, any youthful woman, or between friends.

Sorry I can't follow this if its not in flashing fancy font

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sorry I can't follow this if its not in flashing fancy font

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh my God, this is the best derail. :allears:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Poison Mushroom posted:

Oh my God, this is the best derail. :allears:

I was hating it for a bit but nope it turned around super loving fast please continue :allears:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

ToQger is amazing though. Like, if you told me I'd like ToQger or even that I'd see it as anything other than mediocre (if watchable, unlike Goseiger's brand of mediocrity) I'd call you an idiot, but holy poo poo ToQger is really, really good. Yasuko Kobayashi, I should have never doubted you, I know you're talented but I doubted you, and I am sorry.

In retrospect, doubting the person behind Shinkenger and Go-Busters, two of my favourite Sentai (the former basically my Nš1 Sentai) was a really weird move from my part, but TQG really started boring. Now though? Zed is one of my favourite villains ever (perhaps not as good as Enter...another Kobayashi villain, go figure, but really good), Akira added what the heroes needed and they've become more enjoyable (although really it's mostly Tokacchi and Akira who are likable, Right has his moments, the other three are there and mostly forgettable, not exactly the Shinkengers), the villain team in general is just insanely good and I'd watch a series about them (Schwartz's death is the saddest moment in the series in my opinion)...man, TQG is just really good.
Goddammit you have the exact same tastes as me now I loving have to watch ToQger.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Goddammit you have the exact same tastes as me now I loving have to watch ToQger.

ToQGer is really good god damnit! I say it every week! :argh:

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 8, 2015

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Anyone know anything about Kento Shimoyama, by the way? He's the writer for Ninninger, but unlike all of those names I typed I have no idea about him. I want to believe though, after so many good Sentai (hell, good Super Hero Time series in general) in a row it'd be sad to get a bad one.

He wrote some episodes of Goseiger, Go-Busters, and Gokaiger.

So I unno. Maybe he'll be good.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Scratchman Apoo posted:

He wrote some episodes of Goseiger, Go-Busters, and Gokaiger.

So I unno. Maybe he'll be good.

He wrote the episode of Gokaiger where Joe and Luca disguise themselves as Dump Troops using buckets, foil and duct tape. Ans what gives them away is them being too good at card games.
He also wrote the Go-Busters episode where Gorosaki makes the heat alarms for Ryuji, and the Eraserroid episode.
And he wrote Go-Busters Returns.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Well, 79 posts, wonder what derail happ- :stonk:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

http://www.orendsrange.com/2015/01/japanese-spiderman-makes-his-official.html

gently caress yeah SUPAIDAMAN!

Too bad he's going to get killed off like every other spider in this dumb event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Dexie posted:

http://www.orendsrange.com/2015/01/japanese-spiderman-makes-his-official.html

gently caress yeah SUPAIDAMAN!

Too bad he's going to get killed off like every other spider in this dumb event.

Yeah he was in it for like 2 pages before Leopardon got owned by some old guy and the other Spider-Mans left him to die. gently caress Spider-Verse

• Locked thread