Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cowslips Warren posted:

...but I saw it worse in poo poo like The Patriot, where, so we like the main characters, who are usually white people, who have modern views on poo poo like slavery, like they might HAVE slaves but they teach them to read and pay them and etc.

They made it even worse in that movie by having the slaves insist to the British soldiers, "We're not slaves, we're freedmen! We choose to work this land!"

Really? In the southern part of the colonies in the 18th century? gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They made it even worse in that movie by having the slaves insist to the British soldiers, "We're not slaves, we're freedmen! We choose to work this land!"

Really? In the southern part of the colonies in the 18th century? gently caress you.

lol that sounds like the end of Uncle Tom's Cabin.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Slavery was legal and practiced in all of the colonies in the 1700s, it wasn't just a Southern thing yet.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Byzantine posted:

Slavery was legal and practiced in all of the colonies in the 1700s, it wasn't just a Southern thing yet.

I'm well aware of that, I was pointing out that the movie being set in South Carolina makes that idea even more ludicrous. If it were Massachusetts, maybe you could buy that there were a few enlightened folks that felt "Sure it's legal, but I'm not comfortable owning a person" even in the 1700s.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I'm well aware of that, I was pointing out that the movie being set in South Carolina makes that idea even more ludicrous. If it were Massachusetts, maybe you could buy that there were a few enlightened folks that felt "Sure it's legal, but I'm not comfortable owning a person" even in the 1700s.

Georgia banned slavery until 1749, while New York City hanged ~100 slaves in 1741 for an alleged conspiracy to burn the city down.

I don't mean to attack you or anything, but I'm tired of the Northern revisionism where they keep going "oh we were always against slavery, honest! it was only those dirty stupid southerners doing it, we tried to stop them!"

Most Enlightened people of the time were like Thomas Jefferson; outright abolitionism only showed up in the Quaker community. Having an "enlightened" Northerner spouting those views who's NOT a Quaker is just as anachronistic as if the character was a Southerner, maybe even moreso, if the Southerner is a Georgian.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't NCIS that show where the 2 people attempted to stop a hack by both typing on the keyboard at the same time?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well, free negroes did exist in the south, and have since the 17th century, but how fortuitous that the designated villains happen upon just such a group of people! As I recall, it's really just trying to play up the British as villains by having them do bad things to "free" people, essentially ignoring how many thousands and thousands of slaves the British freed during and immediately after the war. Honestly I find that more distasteful. It's basically saying "you can safely ignore all the brutality we inflicted on hundreds of thousands of people because you can feel comforted by the fact that some blacks were legally free (though they often were legally limited by the precursors to Jim Crow laws that we're not going to talk about); those guys over there are the real bad guys!"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Wasn't NCIS that show where the 2 people attempted to stop a hack by both typing on the keyboard at the same time?

It was posted a few pages ago but goddammit I don't care I will post it again because every human being who watches TV needs to see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

And of course there are people that defend it with "uh, it's SO OBVIOUSLY A PARODY you guys, they're just trolling you" and I can't help but wonder what those people thought of Far Cry 3.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:20 on Jan 8, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yes, then the super-cool "common sense" main lead unplugged the monitor's powercord which immediately stopped the hack.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Aaah, yeah. My mother absolutely loves that show, and so does every woman in the office in her age group, and he's the big reason.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Byzantine posted:

Georgia banned slavery until 1749, while New York City hanged ~100 slaves in 1741 for an alleged conspiracy to burn the city down.

I don't mean to attack you or anything, but I'm tired of the Northern revisionism where they keep going "oh we were always against slavery, honest! it was only those dirty stupid southerners doing it, we tried to stop them!"

Most Enlightened people of the time were like Thomas Jefferson; outright abolitionism only showed up in the Quaker community. Having an "enlightened" Northerner spouting those views who's NOT a Quaker is just as anachronistic as if the character was a Southerner, maybe even moreso, if the Southerner is a Georgian.

I understand you're not trying to attack me, but at the same time, I was talking about South Carolina and Massachusetts, not Georgia and New York.

Lotish has the idea I was really going for, which was that they made the British cartoonishly evil (locking the entire town inside of a church and then burning it down) while portraying the colonists as these wonderfully progressive people.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I think I'd like to see a movie about the American Revolution made by someone who was neither British nor American and in fact disliked both countries equally.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Lotish posted:

I think I'd like to see a movie about the American Revolution made by someone who was neither British nor American and in fact disliked both countries equally.

France

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Lotish posted:

Well, free negroes did exist in the south, and have since the 17th century, but how fortuitous that the designated villains happen upon just such a group of people! As I recall, it's really just trying to play up the British as villains by having them do bad things to "free" people, essentially ignoring how many thousands and thousands of slaves the British freed during and immediately after the war. Honestly I find that more distasteful. It's basically saying "you can safely ignore all the brutality we inflicted on hundreds of thousands of people because you can feel comforted by the fact that some blacks were legally free (though they often were legally limited by the precursors to Jim Crow laws that we're not going to talk about); those guys over there are the real bad guys!"

My favorite thing from this movie is when the British burn everyone in that village alive in the church. That actually did happen: to a group of loyalists...by the revolutionaries! History! Mel Gibson style!

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I'd like to see the Canadian film about the US invasion of Canada.

American: Hey Canada, we're finally sick of those Brits, want to join in?
Canadian: Nope
A: Well fine, we're taking Montreal though!
C:....
A: Ahh well see you later, our year long funding for this division ran out, we're giving you back Montreal without a fight. Call us if you want in!

Fin

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Len posted:

Why do people hate papyrus so much?

Because people read one article on a thing and they think it makes them experts on the entire field, so watching Helvetica means you can stroke your beard and smugly harumph at Papyrus or Trajan because you recognize a thing. Same with people who complain about teal and orange because they read that one article on digital color grading that was really popular a few years ago.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The country that had a national hero who fought on the American side?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sleeveless posted:

Because people read one article on a thing and they think it makes them experts on the entire field, so watching Helvetica means you can stroke your beard and smugly harumph at Papyrus or Trajan because you recognize a thing. Same with people who complain about teal and orange because they read that one article on digital color grading that was really popular a few years ago.

Your smug posturing is no better than theirs

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

I'd like to see the Canadian film about the US invasion of Canada.

American: Hey Canada, we're finally sick of those Brits, want to join in?
Canadian: Nope
A: Well fine, we're taking Montreal though!
C:....
A: Ahh well see you later, our year long funding for this division ran out, we're giving you back Montreal without a fight. Call us if you want in!

Fin

Ha! I'd heard about the lunatic Irish Americans that tried to hold Ontario hostage so Britain would free Ireland, but I hadn't heard of that!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Sleeveless posted:

No, it's the same reason people dislike comic sans, it is overused, especially in situations where it isn't tonally appropriate.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CJacobs posted:

I can't help but wonder what those people thought of Far Cry 3.

Good, clean fun for the whole family?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Eh, just bugs me cause it's lazy.

It's like, if a movie has a big budget then the art dept should be able to work up something new and interesting, and not just grab something off the internet that's used for lots of other poo poo.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Lotish posted:

Ha! I'd heard about the lunatic Irish Americans that tried to hold Ontario hostage so Britain would free Ireland, but I hadn't heard of that!

I know for a fact that's not the whole story. Firstly, the major fighting in the Quebec campaign took place upriver in Quebec City as its position was more strategically valuable for both sides. Also, there was a small series of battles around Montreal that eventually led to the remaining forces fleeing north to join the larger American force up north. I was always told however that a large reason why the Americans gave up Montreal so cheaply was: A) mismanagement of their occupation and the fact that the British wound up giving concessions to the former French colony that largely gave the locals what the Americans were already promising them and, B) a large percentage of the occupying force was militia supplementing the Continental Army and their term ended 1 year after they set out from New England. Once their term expired and the States and Federal Congress stopped paying them they simply went home and the Americans didn't have the numbers to hold the city against a concerted British effort.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Sleeveless posted:

You're going to fit right in here :allears:

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

The country that had a national hero who fought on the American side?

Motherfucker bought a ship he so crazy for the rebellion.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bippie Mishap posted:

Motherfucker bought a ship he so crazy for the rebellion.

However, it would be all about how much the Americans owe the French since if it weren't from them America would have lost.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

$237 million budget. Go to an art college and offer $1k for an original font from someone who wants their work in a James Cameron film and give them credit so they can get employment doing fonts for a while. Someone with more film experience chime in, but could this be done? The rest of the world has this figured out with non-paid internships, should this be that hard?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

The North Tower posted:

$237 million budget. Go to an art college and offer $1k for an original font from someone who wants their work in a James Cameron film and give them credit so they can get employment doing fonts for a while. Someone with more film experience chime in, but could this be done? The rest of the world has this figured out with non-paid internships, should this be that hard?

gently caress, spend a few bucks on a font that didn't come with Office. It's not like there aren't hundreds of free/cheap fonts out there that look great, or more expensive ones that might look even better.

(Not that I don't like your idea - boosting an aspiring font designer's career is kind of a cool thing)

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
I rented Hot Fuzz from Civic this week and I just heard on the police actor's commentary that there's a Plot Holes thing like in Shaun of the Dead.

My irritation is that the animated comic strips aren't on this version of the DVD :( And googling just has nerds being overly analytical.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

bobkatt013 posted:

However, it would be all about how much the Americans owe the French since if it weren't from them America would have lost.

Remember though, America only won because Britain hated the French more and decided to go smack them around instead and come back for us later.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

gently caress, spend a few bucks on a font that didn't come with Office. It's not like there aren't hundreds of free/cheap fonts out there that look great, or more expensive ones that might look even better.

(Not that I don't like your idea - boosting an aspiring font designer's career is kind of a cool thing)

[goon font] I like you. [/goon font]

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Joy Division's Closer album supposedly has a custom font designed by Peter Saville based on Trajan. Probablly not cheap and cocaine might have been involved.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

I though France won the war for the USA, and those ungrateful brats just makes fun of the country that gave them independence.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Boz0r posted:

I though France won the war for the USA, and those ungrateful brats just makes fun of the country that gave them independence.

We made it up to them about 160 years later.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Xenoletum posted:

Remember though, America only won because Britain hated the French more and decided to go smack them around instead and come back for us later.

Actually America only won because the Whigs lost in the 1774 General Election. :eng101:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Morpheus posted:

Oh, and also Windows 8, Windows 8 devices everywhere. From tablets to phones to PCs, nothing else exists in the Arrow universe. Normally I don't mind product placement, but it's so obvious, whenever a device is handed to someone and you see the dashboard before whatever application is opened up.
There was one episode where a guy had a whole bank of monitors and most of them had different stuff on them, but about three or four just had the Windows 8 Start screen, like he'd got his computers set up and then realised that he didn't actually need that many monitors.

Mans posted:

Did you just diss Kinzie
I like Kinzie (and Felicity Smoak), but it really is an obnoxious character archetype.

CJacobs posted:

It was posted a few pages ago but goddammit I don't care I will post it again because every human being who watches TV needs to see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

And of course there are people that defend it with "uh, it's SO OBVIOUSLY A PARODY you guys, they're just trolling you" and I can't help but wonder what those people thought of Far Cry 3.
I wouldn't say it's a parody, but I would defend it. I think the people making the show know it's dumb and you're not supposed to take it too seriously. And it is funny.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Been watching black mirror. Pretty good but some episodes feel like they could be cut by ten minutes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The North Tower posted:

[goon font] I like you. [/goon font]

I'm pretty sure a goon font would look like letters somebody smeared with their own feces.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Lotish posted:

A British director then?

You think the patriot's annoying try being Scottish when Braveheart was a thing.
The only good thing to come out if it was a letter my cousin's history teacher gave all the kids telling them all the bullshit in the movie and how he doesn't want to hear any if it while they were doing that period of Scottish history.

Also spending years having to hear people say Freedom to me, loving hilarious.
gently caress that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

A British director then?

You think the patriot's annoying try being Scottish when Braveheart was a thing.
The only good thing to come out if it was a letter my cousin's history teacher gave all the kids telling them all the bullshit in the movie and how he doesn't want to hear any if it while they were doing that period of Scottish history.

Also spending years having to hear people say Freedom to me, loving hilarious.
gently caress that movie.

Then there is the William Wallace statue