Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LloydDobler posted:

See, that's what I assume, but at the same time I've seen a few dozen videos like this of Mustangs, Vettes, Ferraris and now this BMW breaking traction and completely losing control, and it terrifies me of putting a big motor in my 122, because it makes it appear that breaking traction happens so fast that there's no recovery. But that can't be true, right? Or are there truly unrecoverable traction break situations? Like the ones where they go sideways, lift, and immediately whip the other way. I'm having trouble understanding the physics. Can you just not countersteer fast enough in that case?

The problem isn't physics. You can break traction, and keep the tires spinning fast enough to turn them into loving atmosphere all the way until they hook up at 100mph or more, if you have the power on tap. You just can't be a completely talentless moron, like the people in the videos you're referencing.

Here's a better example:
http://youtu.be/YIeDT5t1Jng

He's obviously on the brakes, prolonging both the length and duration of the burnout, but the point stands.

Without the intention to spin the tires, my car will break loose at will at just about any rpm in first gear, and on poor surfaces will get squirrelly at the top of second sometimes, which is around 70-80mph. Not being a completely useless fuckwit is really the best solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

SaNChEzZ posted:

$10 says the thing hanging from the mirror isn't even a handicap placard.

There's clearly a handicap

:colbert:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Basically you just have to countersteer, and react quickly. All the guys that lose it are not correcting enough, and not correcting quickly enough. Look at that bmw, the front wheels barely turn right as the car starts going left. Then the car gets more sideways than they want and sharply lift off the throttle which makes the car whip around more sharply, When they are already behind on the steering input there's not a good chance of recovery. Sharply lifting off the throttle is a good way to spin a car mid corner when the rears have traction- doing it when they're already sliding will just make it way worse.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

jamal posted:

Sharply lifting off the throttle is a good way to spin a car mid corner when the rears have traction- doing it when they're already sliding will just make it way worse.

This is 80+% of it: DON'T LIFT OR YOU WILL BE PUNISHED ACCORDINGLY

People who haven't has the opportunity to learn any sort of car handling or performance driving that end up behind the wheel of a car with a decent amount of horsepower and try to hoon are asking for it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

sadnessboner posted:

Australia got the DC2 era ITRs in European tune, and the DC5s badged as Type-R/Type-S throughout their lifetime with a K20A2/K20ZI depending on year

Actually exactly the same an New Zealand, except here we are also overrun with second hand Japanese ITRs which were much less common in Australia

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

This is 80+% of it: DON'T LIFT OR YOU WILL BE PUNISHED ACCORDINGLY

People who haven't has the opportunity to learn any sort of car handling or performance driving that end up behind the wheel of a car with a decent amount of horsepower and try to hoon are asking for it.

Put em in a aircooled porsche and let em lift. :smuggo:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Put em in a aircooled porsche and let em lift. :smuggo:

To be fair, that chassis was specifically designed to kill everyone other than the top 10% of performance drivers.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Aurune posted:

Could you badly outline all the edges on my GTR? Thanks.

Even Toyotas are doing it now.

It seems to be a Tron concept.
http://imgur.com/a/2quqx

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ether Frenzy posted:

That one looks really cool though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PCOS Bill posted:

That one looks really cool though.

Looks pretty tacky to me.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
post terrible tattoo stuff

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/guy-gets-tattoo-of-alternator-thinks-its-a-turbo-1677028456

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Ether Frenzy posted:

I want to see someone do that (or attempt to do that) with a car from the mid to late '90s. You know, when car designers threw out their rulers and made only blobby round cars.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It's actually very well done.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rhyno posted:

It's actually very well done.

Yeah it's a great alternator. I really hope that guy is trolling and doesn't actually think it's a turbo.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

TWBalls posted:

As someone that works in San Ramon, CA (The Blackhawk museum is only a few miles from here), this doesn't surprise me in the least. I've been working here for 6 years and have seen at least 4 (Well, 5 now if you include this video) different occasions where some dildo has managed to jump a curb and crash into something.

I knew I recognized the area! My buddy had actually invited me to the cars and coffee this weekend, however I had to go out of town for work. Where in San Ramon do you work?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The richer passengers sit across from those seats.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

The richer passengers sit across from those seats.

Move your torso, peasent!

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Caught ken stripping the toilet jeep

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MrChips posted:

I want to see someone do that (or attempt to do that) with a car from the mid to late '90s. You know, when car designers threw out their rulers and made only blobby round cars.

We used to call that "pin striping." :v:

Maybe it's never been done to a bubble taurus but that's just because they aren't considered classics yet.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes I too remember those awkward teenage years, when nothing fit quite right and all I wanted to do was finish growing up.

Thanks Volvo.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
^ I didn't mind the V70 XC wagon when that came out, but that is ridiculous.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Just throw some 22's on it and you have a Volvo-Donk.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It's an S60 Outback.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I like it

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Subaru did it better:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I like it about a million times more than another boring rear end crossover.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
You:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nah, I wear white socks.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Subaru did it better:

poo poo, when don't they? I'd love one of those Outback sedans.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

veedubfreak posted:

VW sales people tend to be dumb as poo poo* about the cars they sell. Which is fine, it just gives me a bigger advantage when "negotiating" price.

*Although I'm assuming most car salesmen are dumb as poo poo though

Most salesmen are dumb as poo poo and tell you exactly what you want to hear whether it's true or not if it'll get them a commission.

Although, a couple months ago I was car shopping for my girlfriend and we were at Carmax. The salesguy was a retired British military dude who actually knew his poo poo, was big into early 90's hi-po cars (300ZX TT, Supra, and his much-beloved Jag convertible he still regretted selling), and even let me test drive a WRX just for shits and giggles even though I wasn't gonna buy anything.

While on the prescribed test drive route, which consisted mostly of barely-traveled roads in an industrial area, at one point he said "You need to be going about 80 to get air at the top of that hill" and gave me a wicked smile. I wasn't about to try, but that dude loving ruled.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Midniter posted:

Most salesmen are dumb as poo poo and tell you exactly what you want to hear whether it's true or not if it'll get them a commission.

Although, a couple months ago I was car shopping for my girlfriend and we were at Carmax. The salesguy was a retired British military dude who actually knew his poo poo, was big into early 90's hi-po cars (300ZX TT, Supra, and his much-beloved Jag convertible he still regretted selling), and even let me test drive a WRX just for shits and giggles even though I wasn't gonna buy anything.

While on the prescribed test drive route, which consisted mostly of barely-traveled roads in an industrial area, at one point he said "You need to be going about 80 to get air at the top of that hill" and gave me a wicked smile. I wasn't about to try, but that dude loving ruled.

Er... so basically you don't want any car from that lot

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/4822663613.html

:stare:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I'd pay $300 to drive that. Maybe I should email him...

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

New AMC Eagle looking good

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Ghost Farts posted:

New AMC Eagle looking good

Oh god, if only.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That's a biiiiiiiig dude.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Slavvy posted:

Did aussie get ITR's??

Yep, it was fairly late in their life cycle but we did get them. And they were actually pretty good...

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I thought ITRs were fairly accepted as an extremely capable FWD car.

...except for that particular one which had been purchased second hand from someone who owned it for two years and really didn't look after it. As I'm sure everyone reading this knows, VTEC really doesn't like when you miss oil changes. This one didn't like it to the tune of a broken camshaft at the pulley, which resulted in the car no longer running, and I don't think those are non-interference engines. My mate took an absolute beating on that because of the price difference between what he paid for it and what he sold it for. The guy he sold it to was also a friend of a friend who was far smarter about this sort of thing. He sorted out the engine, pulled the running gear out and put it in a Leyland Mini for track work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Knew a guy who swapped ITR cams into a B16 civic type R engine (in a civic ferio sedan, because he was a fuckhead). I asked him if the cam pulleys were a different size or anything.

"Oh yup they were bigger and they rubbed on the cam cover where it goes over the cambelt. I just ran it for a while and they eventually just cut a channel, 'sall good."

Also daily stories about how he totally owned this evo, bro.