Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

mechaet posted:

Member of the Beater 5 Army reporting in.

My e39 540i decided to spew coolant all over the place last night while I was getting onto an onramp. I managed to get out of the onramp lane and to the gas station across the overpass without overheating, and had it towed home. Now the fun part begins.

GDCS.

EDIT: I have zero idea whether it is the radiator or expansion tank, but something in that area is leaking coolant. I'm going to replace both and see how it goes.

Replace it all or you'll be replacing what didn't break soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Brock Landers posted:

Replace it all or you'll be replacing what didn't break soon.

Those are the two pieces I didn't replace last time.

I know, I know. I was a couple hundred bucks short of being able to make the full order, and I figured with it being so easy to get to if it DID go it'd be easier to get to.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BJA posted:

Jut curious what BMW goons think of the X1?

I've had one for nearly a week as a loaner. It's a piece of poo poo for me. Someone else might like it, but I hate it. Plus people keep thinking I bought an X1.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Since the x3 / e46 share the same platform, I wonder if you could bolt x3 suspension bits onto an e46 to lift the suspension and create a forester style BMW, or vice versa with an X1 / e90.

I'd wager the chassis are too different to work (and the ride height may be more related to the strut mount height) but doing that to my 320d touring would make it the perfect work beater.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

stump posted:

Since the x3 / e46 share the same platform, I wonder if you could bolt x3 suspension bits onto an e46 to lift the suspension and create a forester style BMW, or vice versa with an X1 / e90.

I'd wager the chassis are too different to work (and the ride height may be more related to the strut mount height) but doing that to my 320d touring would make it the perfect work beater.

i've thought about that with the X5/E39, but even then the front of the rear wheel well is too close to the door, so you couldn't get a decent mud tire on there.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

Cojawfee posted:

I've had one for nearly a week as a loaner. It's a piece of poo poo for me. Someone else might like it, but I hate it. Plus people keep thinking I bought an X1.

Out of curiosity what do you normally drive?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

stump posted:

Apparently the rear suspension is the same as the E46 xi models and it seems a lot of the rest of the suspension parts are compatible, so it's probably possible to bodge together a hybrid of sorts, but you're probably right that the mount points make up more of the height difference.

That said if that's the case then in theory you could just use air suspension or larger springs/struts/whatever to jack up the stock suspension, at least to a point where you'd run in to alignment limits.

A while back there was a guy on the Crown Vic forums who did the same basic thing and got a few inches out of it, enough to clear 235/75R15 (~29") BFG All Terrains. Unfortunately the car burned down in '07 and all the pics were hosted on one of the lovely image hosts so I can't find anything to show. That car's obviously easier though since it runs a standard Ford 8.8" solid rear axle as used in millions of trucks.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

BJA posted:

Jut curious what BMW goons think of the X1?

What do you need that is making you consider the X1?

I've driven one. It doesn't make sense to me... it's tiny and really not too capable. It's practically a lifted hatchback. There's probably better options in it's weird class too. Also, compared to most BMWs I've driven, it's loving boring. Definitely doesn't do it for me. I kinda just perceive it as a "bought it for the badge car", at least in the US.

Get a touring or an actual SUV imo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

BJA posted:

Out of curiosity what do you normally drive?

135i

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
I own and daily drive a 2015 BMW X1 sDrive 28i M-sport w/Ultimate Package. Let me know if you have any questions.

I went from a 2012 335d to this and it's certainly less powerful (obviously) but it's still pretty sporty. The econo-mode thing is totally useless and I don't use it. I drove with it on for the first month or so and saved like 2 gallon of gas total (+45 miles or so).

I love the extra storage in the back, and being higher up is nicer too. It's rwd so I can make awesome u-turns and stuff just like in the d. It has like allll of the tech features of the last gen 3 series, but not the new fun stuff in the 2015 3s/4s.

Like no lane change / blind spot stuff, but it has parking sensors and a rear view camera.

edit: I also live in San Francisco, so parking is tough for bigger cars, so it being smaller is nice. Also the start/stop functionality is pretty cool sitting in as much traffic as I do.

Beast of Bourbon fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 7, 2015

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Beast of Bourbon posted:

I own and daily drive a 2015 BMW X1 sDrive 28i M-sport w/Ultimate Package. Let me know if you have any questions.

I went from a 2012 335d to this and it's certainly less powerful (obviously) but it's still pretty sporty. The econo-mode thing is totally useless and I don't use it. I drove with it on for the first month or so and saved like 2 gallon of gas total (+45 miles or so).

I love the extra storage in the back, and being higher up is nicer too. It's rwd so I can make awesome u-turns and stuff just like in the d. It has like allll of the tech features of the last gen 3 series, but not the new fun stuff in the 2015 3s/4s.

Like no lane change / blind spot stuff, but it has parking sensors and a rear view camera.

edit: I also live in San Francisco, so parking is tough for bigger cars, so it being smaller is nice. Also the start/stop functionality is pretty cool sitting in as much traffic as I do.

Uhm... is your name Juan? Serious question.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Shogunner posted:

Uhm... is your name Juan? Serious question.

It is not, or even close to Juan.

Anyways, I'm not a typical BMW driver in that I really really did like my Subaru BRZ because it was too low to the ground, too loud and the suspension was too rough. All of which are reasons everyone else LOVED the car because it was sporty. I'm not a sports car kinda guy. So if you like all the things BMW brings to the table, but still want what is a lifted hatchback (which is exactly what the X1 is), then it's pretty cool.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Beast of Bourbon posted:

I'm not a sports car kinda guy.

So then, honest question, why did you buy a BRZ and then a couple BMWs? Have you considered Mercedes, Lexus, Acura, or Audi to get your luxury badge fix? Or honestly, just a regular Toyota or Honda or something? Why are you buying sporty(ish) vehicles if you don't like anything of what they have to offer? (people consider BMW a luxury brand but they honestly are the worst out of the above brands at doing 'luxury', at least historically).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Beast of Bourbon posted:

So if you like all the things BMW brings to the table, but still want what is a lifted hatchback (which is exactly what the X1 is), then it's pretty cool.

I'm kinda confused by this - sportiness has always been what BMW bought to the table so if you take that away then what is the appeal?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
If it were me and I had no choice but a BMW SAV (its not an SUV according to BMW) I'd look at the X3. A little bigger, bigger motors, etc. Of course then your pushing LR2 (Freelander) cost territory so if your going to be a badge whore you might as well go with a more "upscale" badge. FWIW the outgoing LR2 uses a poo poo ton of Ford poo poo and isn't all that awful, but excels at nothing better than the X3.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I know this is the BMW thread and all but the 4Runner (pretty much any year) shits all over any BMW crossover/SUV.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
No poo poo the BMW suv is not a good car at all, it is especially bad when compared to other BMWs let alone other brands.

Anyway who cares about suvs, I need to know if the double clutch auto is reliable or going to be a money pit on a used whatever I find with one. I have an irrational want of one so I can tell the wife it is an auto and she can drive it so she doesn't divorce me for buying a 5th car.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

revmoo posted:

I know this is the BMW thread and all but the 4Runner (pretty much any year) shits all over any BMW crossover/SUV.

As a capable SUV, yes. As something with a car like ride that sits higher up, no. It depends on your priorities.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
Back in 08 I bought a used 325i as my 2nd car after an old Jetta.

Then we moved to the Bay Area and only had a single manual golf TDI, I don't drive manual so the wife traded in her car and I got a 335d which I totally loved everything about. It was the right mix of sportiness and comfort/lux without rattling your teeth out while idling or feeling like your fillings would come out if the road wasn't anything other than glass. We moved and wife bought a Vepsa, which wasn't working out for her in the winter, so she leased a BRZ because she loves super sporty low to the ground cars. Then she got a new job in town and didn't have to drive. Then we moved again (this was over 2 years) and only had 1 parking spot, so I sold my 335d. Then I had to drive her car to work and I hated it so much that we turned it back in (this was a money losing operation here) and had to come up with a new car to get.

After test driving an m3, which had been my 'dream car' for quite some time I realized that yeah, I really don't like the sportiness level of an m3 but I'm used to BMWs, love them and still wanted to own one. Since we were now going to a single car kind of deal for the forseeable future, me and the wife tried to figure out what car we wanted. We test drove a ton of cars and I ended up liking the X1 the most. Sure it's basically a subaru impreza sportback but with 2x the horsepower and all the lux that comes with a BMW. I like being able to accelerate up a hill, something you can't do in the other comps with < 150hp.

And I'm under 60 years old, why would I buy a Mercedes? Have you ever been in one? The latest models still have full phone numpads built into the dashboard.

edit: and the big mercedes logo on the front lights up for god's sake.

Beast of Bourbon fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 7, 2015

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Beast of Bourbon posted:

I really don't like the sportiness level of an m3

THIS THREAD IS hosed UP

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Bape Culture posted:

THIS THREAD IS hosed UP

Like I said, I'm not the typical goon bmw owner, all you guys with your 2002s with N55 engines crammed in there.

I thought I'd love the m3. I was like 'fuuuck yeah, on my way to test drive and buy this m3 here, gonna be awesome" and then I drove it and was like 'I am going to kill myself and many others with this car, also it's way too loud and I really do not like this ride, this sucks, I'm supposed to like this."

So yeah, I'm the guy who appreciates all the other stuff about being a BMW owner, and rightfully look down my nose at other brands but isn't about the screaming power and slamming them. I'd rather have bought a 328d wagon in all honesty, but the prices were crazy.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This guy is the target market for the "stop loving up the M cars with lux goods and make a different high spec prestige line like Alpina from the factory that doesn't come with things that ruin it for people who don't want a sports car."

I totally get it.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Like I said, I'm not the typical goon bmw owner, all you guys with your 2002s with N55 engines crammed in there.

I thought I'd love the m3. I was like 'fuuuck yeah, on my way to test drive and buy this m3 here, gonna be awesome" and then I drove it and was like 'I am going to kill myself and many others with this car, also it's way too loud and I really do not like this ride, this sucks, I'm supposed to like this."

So yeah, I'm the guy who appreciates all the other stuff about being a BMW owner, and rightfully look down my nose at other brands but isn't about the screaming power and slamming them. I'd rather have bought a 328d wagon in all honesty, but the prices were crazy.

Good for you for knowing what you wanted/didn't want and changed your mind instead of getting a car you wouldn't have enjoyed to be cool

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Motronic posted:

This guy is the target market for the "stop loving up the M cars with lux goods and make a different high spec prestige line like Alpina from the factory that doesn't come with things that ruin it for people who don't want a sports car."

I totally get it.

You can rip out all that shite mate it's fine.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That's why I enjoy 5 series so much. Its pretty much the perfect blend of sport and comfort for a guy who travels a lot but wants to kick it through the twistier when I feel like it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

No poo poo the BMW suv is not a good car at all, it is especially bad when compared to other BMWs let alone other brands.

Anyway who cares about suvs, I need to know if the double clutch auto is reliable or going to be a money pit on a used whatever I find with one. I have an irrational want of one so I can tell the wife it is an auto and she can drive it so she doesn't divorce me for buying a 5th car.

It's been fine for me. It's two manual transmissions controlled by a computer. Unless you add poo poo tons of power, it should last just fine.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

That's why I enjoy 5 series so much. Its pretty much the perfect blend of sport and comfort for a guy who travels a lot but wants to kick it through the twistier when I feel like it.
So he should get an X5 then. I'm sure they can be had a few years old at the price of a new X3. And parking it in San Fran? Well, it'll be used anyway so gently caress IT!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Anyone got any preference for N55 chargepipe? My OEM one is cracked apparently and I'm considering getting the BMS charge pipe. 279 seems like a lot and I don't really need a meth bung.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Man I liked my E39 sooo much for this but one thing was it had a stitch or whatever, some sort of vertical bump in the middle of the seat that just like stuck into my spine all the time when driving it and I could never get really comfortable in it.

If they still made a 5 wagon I'd seriously still consider it for my next car though. Good thing BMW has taken that option away from me so I'm not tempted to spend the extra money! I'm sure based on how much the 3 wagon costs, a 5 wagon would start at an MSRP of $80,000.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

So he should get an X5 then. I'm sure they can be had a few years old at the price of a new X3. And parking it in San Fran? Well, it'll be used anyway so gently caress IT!

The x5 is decent. The older models were pretty awesome with the M62B46. Pretty close to the E39 M5 in terms of power, but in SUV form. The one I test drove was actually a pretty fun SUV to drive, but still a pig.

My ex had an 08 x3 m sport, which was decent in every way except the interior felt a little chincy and the ride was a touch harsh. Handled pretty awesome for an SUV and the motor was excellent.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

I totally get it.

Today, the BMW thread learns that the BMW target market does give a poo poo about rusty E30s, old 540s, or M3s.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
So I don't think I've really posted in this thread since I got this car, but whatever I need some shoulders to cry on:

Was pulling away from that stop sign when the woman in the Infiniti decided to cut into my lane and hit me more or less head on. Had enough time to slam on my brakes and come to an almost complete stop and she still managed to total the car. Loaded as hell 03 330ci 5-speed with barely 80k miles and impeccable service records going back to the day it left the showroom floor. My last car was a '98 540i 6-speed that was brutally murdered by a drunk rear end in a top hat who rear-ended me while I was sitting at a stop light (he was going somewhere between 40-50mph at the time and pushed me clean through the intersection).

Insurance ended up paying out around $10k, which is definitely pretty generous, but at the same time it's not looking likely that I'm going to find a comparable car at that price point any time soon. I'm searching around for 04-05 330cis that won't require me to spend more than a few grand out of pocket, but my prospects at the moment aren't too hot.

Better times:

:smith:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know if it's really an option or not but have you considered killing her and selling her organs on the black market?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

X1 owner checking in. It's the 1 series hatchback with a slightly raised ride height for Americans. It's also almost $8k cheaper than a 3 series wagon. Enough cargo room for my family and it was a decent compromise between what I wanted in a vehicle (more fun to drive than a fridge) and what my wife wanted in a vehicle (SUV).

Is it the best car out there? Nope. The start/stop is kind of clumsy, there is no way you can fit a 3rd person in the back, and the NVH isn't nearly as good as the 3 series. But it's a fairly flexible vehicle that has a great BMW interior and all the toys that I need to comfortably shuttle my family around while getting decent gas mileage.

Also looking forward to that loyalty discount for whatever car I end up buying next.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Look at it this way; your E46 valiantly gave its life to take a lovely G35 off the road. It died a hero's death :black101:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Today, the BMW thread learns that the BMW target market does give a poo poo about rusty E30s, old 540s, or M3s.

Your takeaway from a post that reiterates a conversation in this very thread from a few weeks ago that some people want luxury/prestige models and some people want raw sports cars and those things are often mutually incompatible is.....that?

Good job.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know if it's really an option or not but have you considered killing her and selling her organs on the black market?

I'd probably consider it if I had infinite time to be without a car (or if I was willing to throw down more cash to buy one while I part my old car out), but at this point I think taking the settlement and just throwing it at a new car is probably going to be my best bet. The only silver lining is that this car was effectively free anyway since the insurance pay out from my e39 was several thousand dollars more than it cost me.

MrChips posted:

Look at it this way; your E46 valiantly gave its life to take a lovely G35 off the road. It died a hero's death :black101:

:unsmith:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Insurance ended up paying out around $10k, which is definitely pretty generous, but at the same time it's not looking likely that I'm going to find a comparable car at that price point any time soon. I'm searching around for 04-05 330cis that won't require me to spend more than a few grand out of pocket, but my prospects at the moment aren't too hot.

They screwed you if you can't find a comparable car for what they gave you.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

So I don't think I've really posted in this thread since I got this car, but whatever I need some shoulders to cry on:

Was pulling away from that stop sign when the woman in the Infiniti decided to cut into my lane and hit me more or less head on. Had enough time to slam on my brakes and come to an almost complete stop and she still managed to total the car. Loaded as hell 03 330ci 5-speed with barely 80k miles and impeccable service records going back to the day it left the showroom floor. My last car was a '98 540i 6-speed that was brutally murdered by a drunk rear end in a top hat who rear-ended me while I was sitting at a stop light (he was going somewhere between 40-50mph at the time and pushed me clean through the intersection).

Better times:

:smith:

The 03 had the drop down headlights instead of the swept up ones? I thought the facelift had happened by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

blk posted:

The 03 had the drop down headlights instead of the swept up ones? I thought the facelift had happened by then.

I think it was a coupe vs sedan/wagon thing (the coupe got its facelift later than the other models)