Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Instead of buying the 5k Quattro, a better offer appeared:

I'm in deep doo doo

Hey

Hey

gently caress you

That thing handles worse than my poo poo tier stable, but dear lord I'm sure it makes WAY BETTER noises....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

straight piped to muffler.

I would like to hear the noises this thing makes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TWSS posted:

I would like to hear the noises this thing makes.

I'm picking it up next Wensday, I'll make a recording.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
this recording may or may not influence me to do something silly with the exhaust behind my AAN :getin:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

I'm picking it up next Wensday, I'll make a recording.

My dick is out in anticipation

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slow is Fast posted:

My dick is out in anticipation

I gotta get rid of the HIDZZZZZ

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

that intake manifold :fap:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

that intake manifold :fap:

I noticed something kinda funny: The air filter box for the 20v is a CIS box that they simply made a different cap for, so that the 10v CIS could use the same spot and air filter box.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

I noticed something kinda funny: The air filter box for the 20v is a CIS box that they simply made a different cap for, so that the 10v CIS could use the same spot and air filter box.

As far as I remember (although could be very wrong) the exhaust manifold is on that same side which would make that a not so great spot if there is a turbo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

As far as I remember (although could be very wrong) the exhaust manifold is on that same side which would make that a not so great spot if there is a turbo.

Yeah, if I ever swap out the 20v 7A, that will go away.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Instead of buying the 5k Quattro, a better offer appeared:

I'm in deep doo doo

I need this car for ice racing.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Speaking of being in deep poo poo. Some Scirocco fun, did an overnight TSD rally recently.

All very good fun until the 8th regularity stage, which was adequately nicknamed "Horsepoop road", it was actually an ATV trail or something with some very deep tracks. This would be fine except I've put in some raceland coilovers as placeholders for suspension. For those that don't know raceland coilovers are $300 pieces of garbage that people use to slam their Rabbits, I've tried my best to raise it up as much as possible but there is a limit to that. As a result I heard a teeth shattering clunk about a third of a way through the stage as I passed over some frozen horse poop. Rest of the rally the handling was off and it sounded like I was running an open header.

Skid plate was completely wrapped around the K Bar, would've taken more pictures but to be honest I was pretty fed up. My dad thought I hit a tree stump, didn't have the heart to tell him it was horse poo poo. Ironically removing the skidplate fixed virtually everything, which is why I love this car. Oil pan is $40 and she takes a huge beating and just bounces right back.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
:ohdear: I'm glad it didn't punch all the way through the pan, but that looks like you had fun!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

:ohdear: I'm glad it didn't punch all the way through the pan, but that looks like you had fun!

Yeah, I wish I had set up my gopro if only for that biblical sound. I fully expected the oil pressure light to come on immediately after that. It was a complete blast but a 12 hour overnight rally in a Mk 1 VW is as brutal as it comes, high points include completely missing the road because it had a slight kink on it and flying into a ditch at about 40mph, nodding off at 4am only to realize at the last second we're pointed straight at a cliff straight into some trees and nailing the turn perfectly and much bitching from the subaru drivers that I'm weaving about the road in corners (must be fun having like twice the cornering speed I do sticking to normal road lanes).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Does the plate happen to indicate somethign about the nature of the previous owner?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I had a dream about one of these recently, wish I got to own one in real life.
Dream was weird.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Does the plate happen to indicate somethign about the nature of the previous owner?

He's a VW mechanic. That's about it

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

He's a VW mechanic. That's about it

You bought a mechanic owned car? :catstare:

You brave brave bastard.

Guy in one of my classes was a vw mechanic. he powdercoated his jettas alternator bracket then couldn't figure out why it wasn't charging. Special snowflake he was.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Pretty sure VW mechanic is code word for Meth head.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

You bought a mechanic owned car? :catstare:

You brave brave bastard.

Guy in one of my classes was a vw mechanic. he powdercoated his jettas alternator bracket then couldn't figure out why it wasn't charging. Special snowflake he was.

I looked over the car pretty carefully, and beyond the accident he had in it that bashed the passenger side headlight and turn signal, its in decent enough shape.

And I have enough spare parts in the garage to replace anything he might have hosed up, and it shares everything in common with the 4k/Coupe platform parts, including transmission, belt routing, etc.

I can take it :smuggo:

1500quidporsche posted:

Pretty sure VW mechanic is code word for Meth head.

I must be an exception to the rule. But then again, I do have an unhealthy collection of computers

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Blade servers everywhere!

Between reading your thread and talking to trouserchili... I want a v8 quattro.

I hate you guys :argh:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

I must be an exception to the rule. But then again, I do have an unhealthy collection of computers

I'm just as bad, my parents used to get pissed because I loved taking poo poo apart as a kid and then lost interest when it came time to put it back together.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Blade servers everywhere!

Between reading your thread and talking to trouserchili... I want a v8 quattro.

I hate you guys :argh:

Biturbo?

Just buy a blade chassis instead :eng101:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Purchased a set of clear headlight and turn signals to replace the smashed passenger side headlight.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Pick up the Audi tomorrow!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
This thread made me go look for audis on my local craigslist and I found one:

http://missoula.craigslist.org/cto/4806818607.html

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jamal posted:

This thread made me go look for audis on my local craigslist and I found one:

http://missoula.craigslist.org/cto/4806818607.html

So that's where they all went.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

That and Team ONeil school in NH sentenced a lot of audis to death until they got the ford contract.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So that's where they all went.

That and junk yards or stripped for parts. Especially the 10v/20v turbo motors. Good luck finding them in a junk yard anymore.

For a lot of the years of manufacture, they brought very limnited numbers of the 4k/Coupe Quattro/5k to the US, in something like 500-600 a year. People strip the 20v motors too and sell them at a premium.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 7, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://fourtitude.com/news/vintage-audi-news/s2-coupe-import/

The EU S2 Audi Coupe is now legal for import due to age.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Is your ride home yet???

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Is your ride home yet???

Nope. The company decided to ring in the new year by screwing up our direct deposits. Audi will be coming home tomorrow morning!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Awesome! Now you just need a rover to add to the pile!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Awesome! Now you just need a rover to add to the pile!

Too reliable for his likes.

E: He did get rover parts for aiss too. :D

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Too reliable for his likes.

E: He did get rover parts for aiss too. :D

The wife wants a Land Rover Disco

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
This can be a good idea.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

This can be a good idea.

It will be diesel converted. I told her that was the condition

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

How difficult is changing an accessory belt on a 5000?

May have found a listing for a " 1987 5000S Quattro" even though the S was never a quattro :raise: but the ad is claiming alternator issues and its way out of town so this would likely rely on me getting it running and driving it back.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

It will be diesel converted. I told her that was the condition

whatd you think I was getting at? :D

Friends don't let friends dump money in bad designs.

when in doubt, LS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

How difficult is changing an accessory belt on a 5000?

May have found a listing for a " 1987 5000S Quattro" even though the S was never a quattro :raise: but the ad is claiming alternator issues and its way out of town so this would likely rely on me getting it running and driving it back.

Piece of cake, you may have to remove the power steering and AC belts as well to get to it, but its easy.

The Power Steering pump is tightened/loosened by a tension bolt, and the alternator has a 'ratchet' style tensioner with a 13mm bolt in the middle to lock it. It should be three separate v belts.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 8, 2015

• Locked thread