Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Vil posted:

Also buffs, debuffs, and frequent paradigm switches (for the instant ATB refills if nothing else) are all super useful. If you just sit in one offensive paradigm for the whole fight, or even just sit in one until stagger and then switch to another, you're probably missing out and making battles drag on longer than they need to.

That's not to say that 13 doesn't have its issues, and I'll also note that when the world opens up in chapter 11 it's entirely possible to get into battles that you're thoroughly underprepared for. But for the most part, if you're in one of the game's hallways, a battle is dragging on a long time, and it's not a boss, then it's probably PEBKAC rather than the game. Hallway Simulator 13 has many flaws, but one strength it gains from all the restrictions of who you can use to fight what, with what paradigms available, is that most of the combat in the game (trash or bosses) is extremely well balanced to what your party's actually capable of.

Ever since I Read a few pages back and saw someone point out the whole switching paradigms and getting free turns thing I've been doing that and getting almost constant 5* victories. It's definitely one of the most useful tips I've found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Curtain Call's DLC isn't complete until we get Nier music there. Still the best soundtrack that's ever been in a Square game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ImpAtom posted:

Covenant of the Plume owns. It isn't even in the same stratosphere as 3DS.

If you want a punishing but almost universally fair game you go for the best ending on your first playthrough and exploit all the mechanics given to you. If you get stuck you pop a plume and the game recognizes it and you get a different ending and different plot progression and different characters. Then you can do a NG+ with added abilities that make the game easier and go for a different ending. Seeing all the game's endings is necessary to unlock the bonus dungeon anyway so it isn't wrong to do it this way if you want an easier game.

It is one of my favorite SRPGs ever.

Plus the underrated VAing. Still bummed we don't know who voiced Lieselotte and Rosea.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So I'm trying FF12 Zodiac in between games and it is remarkable how similar it is to Xenoblade, mostly the face style. Is it the same character designer or something?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

KamikazePotato posted:

Curtain Call's DLC isn't complete until we get Nier music there. Still the best soundtrack that's ever been in a Square game.

No, for the true Taro Yoko experience in Curtain Call, we need the "music" from Drakengard 1's Branch E ending. :unsmigghh:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

No, for the true Taro Yoko experience in Curtain Call, we need the "music" from Drakengard 1's Branch E ending. :unsmigghh:

I would buy that game in a heart beat if they had a whole Drakengard expansion so I could play as Caim and hit buttons along to that cacophony.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

W.T. Fits posted:

Party all fighting a giant pregnant lady spewing demon babies out of her vagina. It could work.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The best DS RPGs aren't Final Fantasy.

Grab Radiant Historia and Dragon Quest IX, both great great games. DQIX can be played with a friend, the whole game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Get the other Dragon Quests on the DS instead. 9 is basically just a Final Fantasy with DQ sprites and you can sleep walk through it. DQ4, 5 and 6 were remade for the DS and are great games!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

W.T. Fits posted:

You take that back. :colbert:
No. What's needed is Drakengard 3's final song :unsmigghh:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

It'll be a battle song and the enemies are just Mikhail over and over.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Squallege posted:

It'll be a battle song and the enemies are just Mikhail over and over.

You monster :smith:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Artix posted:

You monster :smith:

It's not that I don't like Mikhail, it's just that it's the only way to accurately represent the whole ordeal.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Squallege posted:

It's not that I don't like Mikhail, it's just that it's the only way to accurately represent the whole ordeal.

"His name was Mik-hail, his name was Mik-hail! He really LO-VED him some ZEE~RO!" :smithicide:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Revenge of the facepope was super easy, guys.

Does he get harder?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A lot of people have trouble with a move in his final boss mode, but you should be fine.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Do I ever get a quick travel or anything? Because I guess I'm at the point where I've got to go to the end of the game. But I want to finish the missions. Some of these missions are really far away.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, you can bounce from crystal to crystal with a warp item that I think you can buy from the store.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Does he get harder?

Nah. He's honestly not a hard fight as long as you're cycling paradigms and buffing/debuffing properly.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Nuebot posted:

Does he get harder?

Did you max out your Crystals before hand so you could put in the entire 100000 into the next level of abilities?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Nuebot posted:

Do I ever get a quick travel or anything? Because I guess I'm at the point where I've got to go to the end of the game. But I want to finish the missions. Some of these missions are really far away.

If you've been paying attention to the Cie'th stones, the Yellow ones on the map are warp points but you have to clear whatever hunt is attached to them to activate them.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Beef Waifu posted:

A lot of people have trouble with a move in his final boss mode, but you should be fine.

I think I died once to Final Spacepope in my last run through,, but I agree he's generally not hard. His gigantic dumb face was also perfect for Sazh Blitz abuse, which is oh so much fun when you encounter enemies where you can drop the full clip into him.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Artix posted:

If you've been paying attention to the Cie'th stones, the Yellow ones on the map are warp points but you have to clear whatever hunt is attached to them to activate them.

I've been clearing them all but I can't figure out how to use them to warp. Please help I am dumb.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Did you max out your Crystals before hand so you could put in the entire 100000 into the next level of abilities?

Not all of them, and I've mostly been neglecting the characters that aren't in my battle party because I hate hope. But that's mostly because just sitting there waiting for the crystal grid to move is really boring sometimes, some of the lines take forever to fill in.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Nuebot posted:

I've been clearing them all but I can't figure out how to use them to warp. Please help I am dumb.

Literally just talk to them again and pick "warp".

E: Also I have some bad news if you've been neglecting Vanille because you are really going to want Poison for the end of the game. :v:

Artix fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 8, 2015

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Doing the Bevelle Cloister of Trials four times in a row is not fun in case you guys were wondering.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Artix posted:

Literally just talk to them again and pick "warp".

E: Also I have some bad news if you've been neglecting Vanille because you are really going to want Poison for the end of the game. :v:

Vanille is one of my three, the game had her set up as my main healer and I'm too lazy to set anyone else up as a good healer. She's a good debuffer too.

EDIT: gently caress poison, I just managed to beat that neochu right after facepope by abusing Death.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Doing the Bevelle Cloister of Trials four times in a row is not fun in case you guys were wondering.

Ahaha! Why on earth would you do that to yourself.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 8, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nuebot posted:

Get the other Dragon Quests on the DS instead. 9 is basically just a Final Fantasy with DQ sprites and you can sleep walk through it. DQ4, 5 and 6 were remade for the DS and are great games!

...that you can also sleepwalk through* for the most part as well.

*except Mudo, unless his fight isn't utter bullshit in the DS version because it was a brick wall of :fuckoff: in the original.

Other good DS RPGs are the Etrian Odyssey games (well, 3 and 4 anyways).

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

*except Mudo, unless his fight isn't utter bullshit in the DS version because it was a brick wall of :fuckoff: in the original.

I don't remember having a lot of trouble with Murdaw/Mudo in the DS version. However the lionman boss in IV was a hot pile of "gently caress you."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

In FF13-2, I appreciate that "Scream at Hope" is not only a dialogue option, but a (the?) correct option as well.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

Okay yeah you're mostly true. DQ game's aren't much harder than FF unless you're running away from every battle. But I still stand that the other three are better than nine.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Nuebot posted:

Ahaha! Why on earth would you do that to yourself.

First time: "Oh I wonder what's past this HP sphere chest...hmm, poo poo, cutscene, I didn't explore to the left first."

Second time: "Time to see what's on the left...oh, I needed to keep a Bevelle sphere in the pedestal so it can get me over to the chest."

Third time: "Okay cool a Knight's Lance, guess I can go on...wait, wasn't I supposed to get an Al-Bhed Primer right after the wedding?"

So the fourth time was the charm.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Agreed posted:

It seems like it has the best pace out of any of the FF games I've played during its battles. I don't really like the voice acting, but good voice acting from the time period is rare anyway. The story seems fine but I haven't got very far.

I am really impressed by how well the art direction and visual style holds up over the years. It's obviously an old game but it is not obviously that old at all. With the increase in resolution and some texture filtering, locations and monsters still pop compared to most games I have played. Very colorful and vibrant. It's weird that most franchises have moved toward a "realistic" much more limited color palette when that looked so good, though FFXIII shows that SE at least still has their major strength in presentation.

Yeah, when FFX first came out it was one of my favorite games but with the state of FF today I expected to pick up the HD Rerelease and be disappointed. Turns out no, FF games really were good at one point.

The VA for the main characters is much better than I remembered, even if it's not up to par with today's standards in some cases (Yuna). The VA for the extras is straight up embarrassing but you don't run into it much. HORNLESS HORNLESS

The music is fantastic, I actually enjoyed the story and cutscenes, the battle system is fun and it was the first time I got to use the Expert grid and figuring out how to break that early on was really rewarding.

The things I don't like though - the temple puzzles are terrible. The challenge is basically wasting your time and being clunky as gently caress. The postgame gets really grindy too, like there's a lot to do in there but you need to do terrible minigames and then remake the sphere grid by killing the same things over and over.

I remember a lot of doom and gloom when Squaresoft became Square Enix, but there was a noticeable decline after the merger.

KamikazePotato posted:

Ugh you made me wish for something that would never happen. I should be happy enough we're getting this second round of DLC already.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
FFX was awesome, but locking Yuna's Celestial weapon behind 100%ing the temples with no notification to you that it would be necessary, let alone even a thing you could do/miss and not being able to go back, is total bullshit.

Also gently caress chocobo racing and lightning dodging forever.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Celestial weapon grinding was so meh once you learned how to craft. Takes a fraction of the time and no minigame bullshit, especially if you just want to beat the game.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Tae posted:

Celestial weapon grinding was so meh once you learned how to craft. Takes a fraction of the time and no minigame bullshit, especially if you just want to beat the game.

Yeah that's what I eventually ended up doing. I wanted them more just to have them but realizing there was no way for me to get back into the one temple without beating a dark aeon, I just said gently caress it.

It was still bullshit though. And now I'm in x-2 where garment grids and dress spheres are completely missable without notice unless you look at a guide. I hope the treasure hunter grid wasn't any good cause I can no longer get it anymore.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Tae posted:

Celestial weapons can get a massive damage bonus and (partially?) penetrate enemy defense though. A normal BDL weapon will need both 255 Str and Str+30% in order to hit 99999 damage on the highest defense enemies, while celestial weapons can reach that at much less Str. Dark matters for making BDL weapons are also a pain to farm until you can grind on Dark Yojimbo. At least Rikku's and Auron's weapons are easy to get and unmissable. (The power of the God Hand!)

Leper Residue posted:

It was still bullshit though. And now I'm in x-2 where garment grids and dress spheres are completely missable without notice unless you look at a guide. I hope the treasure hunter grid wasn't any good cause I can no longer get it anymore.

You still have the possibility of New Game +!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The celestial weapons just straight up treat any enemy's defense as being 0 whenever you attack with them, which is a trait no other weapons in the game have. Most of the post-game optional superbosses take diddly-squat damage from any non-celestial weapon because they all have 255 defense.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Also none of the miss-able stuff is really super needed. None of 10-2's postgame stuff is as ridiculous as the first game's outside of minigames and a few bosses.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

The GIG posted:

Also none of the miss-able stuff is really super needed. None of 10-2's postgame stuff is as ridiculous as the first game's outside of minigames and a few bosses.

It's not so much that the stuff is needed, but that it's very easily missed. I probably never would have even bothered with the sphere attack tournament had I not looked at a guide, which would have cost me a class. Kind of lovely in a game centered around playing around with classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I've made my way all the way up to the fight with Doga in the FF III remake, and I now have a firm understanding of why the game is considered bad.