Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Slur posted:

It took me 30 minutes to do it 3 times in a row. I guess I was really lucky that day.

I've spent a lot of time in spectate mode (don't judge :colbert:) and on the whole I've probably lost somewhere around 50k. You must've been incredibly lucky indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

2v2 matches, both sides at 10x because they just got matched up

You don't have any control over who you're spectating though for the second and third matches, right? For the first match you can keep backing out and coming back in until you get a 0%, but then you're stuck with whoever they give you next unless I'm overlooking something. I was spectating for about an hour and I think I saw a 2v2 with two 0% teams just once, and I don't think I ever got more than two 0% choices in a row.

Even if you're somehow lucky enough to get three 0% 2v2 matches in a row, each choice is effectively a 50% chance of success so you'll correctly guess all three about 1/8 of the time.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

dizzywhip posted:

You don't have any control over who you're spectating though for the second and third matches, right? For the first match you can keep backing out and coming back in until you get a 0%, but then you're stuck with whoever they give you next unless I'm overlooking something. I was spectating for about an hour and I think I saw a 2v2 with two 0% teams just once, and I don't think I ever got more than two 0% choices in a row.

Even if you're somehow lucky enough to get three 0% 2v2 matches in a row, each choice is effectively a 50% chance of success so you'll correctly guess all three about 1/8 of the time.

you can only let it ride if you dont back out. as long as you keep winning though (always bet worst odds) you will be swimming in smash money

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Made this a little bit ago from some for glory matches, figured you might like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ois4etX3oiw

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hey so Kirby's up tilt, shorthop dair loop is well known right? As dedede I got absolutely loving destroyed by a Kirby for the first time and I couldn't tech out of it or do anything. He absolutely demolished me.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hey so Kirby's up tilt, shorthop dair loop is well known right? As dedede I got absolutely loving destroyed by a Kirby for the first time and I couldn't tech out of it or do anything. He absolutely demolished me.

I dunno about that specific combo but Kirby's dair is pretty ridiculous because I think it has no landing lag.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

dizzywhip posted:

Bet on characters. Greninja vs. Dr. Mario? You need %'s to tell you anything about that matchup??

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ChaosArgate posted:

I dunno about that specific combo but Kirby's dair is pretty ridiculous because I think it has no landing lag.

Basically he would up tilt and shorthop into it, hitstun would keep me in the "getting hit" animation. Due to no landing lag he'd get to uptilt again and just loop it until upsmash. It was stupid effective.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Are there any Link players who can comment on his supposed improvements from previous editions? On some tier lists he is as high as #9 which I find shocking but encouraging.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
His dash attack is now good and I think you can tipper some of his attacks

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

I've spent a lot of time in spectate mode (don't judge :colbert:) and on the whole I've probably lost somewhere around 50k. You must've been incredibly lucky indeed.

I retract this, seems Smash Wii U is actually filled with people at 0% win rate :psyduck:

Speaking of Spectate, why is it that very often both players in a team battle show as being the same person (name + mii)?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Your Computer posted:

I retract this, seems Smash Wii U is actually filled with people at 0% win rate :psyduck:

Speaking of Spectate, why is it that very often both players in a team battle show as being the same person (name + mii)?

You can team up with a real life friend on the same console.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Electric Phantasm posted:

You can team up with a real life friend on the same console.

:doh: Of course, I'm an idiot.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

Bet on characters. Greninja vs. Dr. Mario? You need %'s to tell you anything about that matchup??

Yeah that's true, although not every matchup is gonna be an easy call like that. I'm gonna try again tonight but I don't have high hopes.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.

Smashing Link posted:

Are there any Link players who can comment on his supposed improvements from previous editions? On some tier lists he is as high as #9 which I find shocking but encouraging.

His projectile game is absurd in this one, which because rolls are so good, means he can approach lame style MVC3 Morrigan level of keep away. Just start throwing poo poo and don't stop.

(Here's to hoping they nerf rolls for the same reason vectoring got removed, to stop overly long games)

(I'm setting myself up to be really disappointed in the lack of patches)

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Smashing Link posted:

Much faster than Melee, does decent damage compared, has high knockback, Gale boomerang can be bounced for a mixup, Boomerang pull allows for some good setups, Nair is melee good, recovery is great, and his projectile spam is way more annoying than it ever has been.

The overall nerfs to movement in this game (no dashdance or wavedash) also just put a lot of matchups in Link's favor. A big problem in Melee was his inability to close space well and his weight leaving him super comboable at high level play. With all of the movement tech gone, Link doesn't get carried nearly as much and as a result is actually a viable character.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The worst part of playing for fun is when the DK stage comes up goddddddd gently caress that stage. That and the Game and Watch one are the worst.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

laplace posted:

Much faster than Melee, does decent damage compared, has high knockback, Gale boomerang can be bounced for a mixup, Boomerang pull allows for some good setups, Nair is melee good, recovery is great, and his projectile spam is way more annoying than it ever has been.

The overall nerfs to movement in this game (no dashdance or wavedash) also just put a lot of matchups in Link's favor. A big problem in Melee was his inability to close space well and his weight leaving him super comboable at high level play. With all of the movement tech gone, Link doesn't get carried nearly as much and as a result is actually a viable character.

Sold. Have to buy the Wii U now.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Is there a trick for the Kirby's Crazy Appetite Event?

Yes yes, I know, I'm a scrub for having issues with the Events and this is mostly a thread about the competitive stuff but it's the only one I'm like, legitimately having issues with right now, and unable to beat it above Easy.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Stallion Cabana posted:

Is there a trick for the Kirby's Crazy Appetite Event?

Yes yes, I know, I'm a scrub for having issues with the Events and this is mostly a thread about the competitive stuff but it's the only one I'm like, legitimately having issues with right now, and unable to beat it above Easy.

Don't worry we are all terrible

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

steal a dedede's power and eat the food with it. it'll heal more than normal. i thought that challenge was bullshit too then someone told me that trick and i beat it on hard with time to spare on my first try

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Glimm posted:

Don't worry we are all terrible

Speak for yourself friend

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

TheKingofSprings posted:

Speak for yourself friend

:(

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Your Computer posted:

A lot of people have to start somewhere. It's a good thing they're easy to farm off of.

So, I guess at this point it's a matter of me getting good as Robin, Mega Man and Lucina. After that? I think I'll be satisfied. Any tips, anyone?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Your Computer posted:

I always assumed that the % value at the bottom was "per-session"? So when you first boot the game and get into your first match, you're always starting off at 0% because you haven't won yet. After you win a few and the lobby clears out, your % is more accurate, but it'll reset back to 0% if you back out to the online menu from character selection.

e: is there a glossary somewhere for the words y'all keep using like nair and tilt?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

JawnV6 posted:

I always assumed that the % value at the bottom was "per-session"? So when you first boot the game and get into your first match, you're always starting off at 0% because you haven't won yet. After you win a few and the lobby clears out, your % is more accurate, but it'll reset back to 0% if you back out to the online menu from character selection.

e: is there a glossary somewhere for the words y'all keep using like nair and tilt?

tilt - directional attack
neutral - attack
nair - neutral air attack
fair - air attack forward directionally
uair - air attack up directionally
dair - air attack down directionally
fmash - forward smash attack
gay - ground attack yourself
fat - forward attack titties
baby - backward attack by yourself

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

(N,U,F,B,D)air – Shorthand for aerial attacks. Uair means aerial up-A, Nair means aerial neutral-A, etc. Occasionally people will say Zair to refer to aerial tethers.

•Directional Influence (DI) – Holding a direction on the analog stick when being struck by an attack, allows the player to influence their initial flight trajectory. Used as a survival technique.
•Disjointed – If an attack’s hitbox extends away from a character’s hitbox, it is said to be disjointed. Disjointed attacks have high priority.
•Edgeguard – Any attempt to prevent the opponent from returning to the stage.
•Ledgehop – Dropping from the edge and then immediately mid-air jumping to get back on the stage.
•Fastfall (FF) – After the peak of a character’s jump, pressing down will make the character fall significantly faster.
•Frame – The smallest unit of time in which an action can be inputted. 1 frame = 1/60 of a second.
•Hitbox – The space around an attack or character where the game registers contact.
•Hurtbox - The space around a character where hitboxes can inflict damage.
•Juggle – A series of attacks that prevents the opponent from landing back on the stage.
•Jump Cancel (JC) – Certain actions, such as shield and Fox/Falco's shine (in Melee) can be canceled by jumping.
•Phantom Hit – An attack that barely grazes the opponent. In Melee, it inflicts half damage and no knockback. In Brawl, it neither inflicts damage nor knockback.
•Priority – An attack’s ability to override another attack in a collision.
•Power Shield / Perfect Shield (PS) – Shielding right as an attack hits you to eliminate shield stun. In Melee this reflects projectiles.
•Recovery – A character’s ability to return to the stage after being knocked off.
•Shield grab – Pressing A to grab while shielding.
•Shorthop (SH) – A smaller jump, done by releasing the button before the end of the jumpsquat animation.
•Smash – A smash is any attack done by smashing the stick in a direction and pressing A or by pushing the C-stick in a direction in multiplayer. Commonly referred to in conjunction with a direction ("down-smash," or simply "d-smash").
•Smash DI - Directional inputs during hitstun to move before being sent flying.
•Spike – Any attack with downwards knockback.
•Sweetspot – The strongest part of an attack. Also, "sweetspotting" the edge means grabbing the edge in the safest possible manner (usually snapping to it or grabbing it at the lowest possible spot).
•Teching – Pressing L, R, or Z to quickly recover off of any solid surface. Inputting right or left on the control stick will allow one to roll immediately upon impact with the ground.
•Throw – A throw is performed by grabbing an opponent with Z or L/R + A and then pressing a direction to throw. Commonly referred to in conjunction with a direction ("forward throw," or simply "f-throw").
•Tilt – A tilt attack is any attack done by pressing the control stick in a direction and pressing A. Commonly referred to in conjunction with a direction ("up-tilt," or simply "u-tilt").
•Tipper – Hitting with the tip of move when it's the sweetspot (such as Marth's forward-smash)
•Walltech - Pressing L, R, or Z to quickly recover if hit into a wall (vertical surface). If holding the control stick up, the character will jump off it opposite in the direction he or she was hit in.

Mercilessly stolen from elsewhere with the irrelevant parts cut out

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

Waverhouse posted:

His projectile game is absurd in this one, which because rolls are so good, means he can approach lame style MVC3 Morrigan level of keep away. Just start throwing poo poo and don't stop.

(Here's to hoping they nerf rolls for the same reason vectoring got removed, to stop overly long games)

(I'm setting myself up to be really disappointed in the lack of patches)
I can only hope that Nintendo patches the rolling. Rolling this much in a Smash game is no fun.

I just got a Wii U in December. How often did Nintendo release patches for Smash?

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Sonic seems pretty dang annoying in this one. He can just spam the same combos over and over, and it is really difficult to punish him for it since all his b-moves have bizarrely high priority.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Those also "sour spot" but people use it to refer to the weakest part of the attack or a hitbox in the attack with bizarre properties.

Also they released a patch a few months ago, but more often than not they do quick bug fixes or change some of the menu features instead of gameplay balances.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

laplace posted:

Link is the man in this game. I feel like he might be my favorite version of any character in any Smash game to date. He seems to have the right tool for every occasion. I'm really glad he's finally a viable character.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Link's dash attack is pretty badass.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

mabels big day posted:

Link's dash attack is pretty badass.

It looks great and hits like a smash attack, it's wonderful. Infinitely better than his old dash attack which was just him stumbling around with the sword.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

Those also "sour spot" but people use it to refer to the weakest part of the attack or a hitbox in the attack with bizarre properties.

Also they released a patch a few months ago, but more often than not they do quick bug fixes or change some of the menu features instead of gameplay balances.

Sakurai has also went on record as saying he doesn't intend to do more game balances beyond really egregious glitches (like the Pac-men going back to their home planet glitch)

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

This looks like something I'd play... for the mechanics... by myself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dMJvCkXndU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

F. Lobot posted:

This looks like a pile of poo poo

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Seems like a perfect fit for Wii U eShop, which a stretch goal.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

sharrrk posted:

steal a dedede's power and eat the food with it. it'll heal more than normal. i thought that challenge was bullshit too then someone told me that trick and i beat it on hard with time to spare on my first try

It took me a few hours on and off but this helped immensely and I got it after a bit. Thanks a lot. It seems really hit or miss, either you avoid all of the 3Des and they break open the chests and you eat 20% food or they trap you in a corner and hit you with hammers a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

F. Lobot posted:

I love the idea of an opponent in a "competitive" fighting game using a time stop ability on me and freezing me in place. loving great. Touhou fans are the worst people.

• Locked thread