Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The fact that your F9W9 bless is completely and utterly worthless against N9E9 Burning Ones doesn't help either; poor warriors of the five chainsaws desperately failing to get through 23 prot with their little shortswords.

Still their innate 5 fire resist means they are immune to heat aura and the Burning Ones fire shield so they last a lot longer than you'd expect even though they're incapable of actually doing anything while lasting longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I decided to make a mod that buffs artifacts very hard. I'm still not done with all of them (only about 90%), and I'm not done adjusting the pricing and forge requirements yet.
https://www.mediafire.com/?8jclgsn2a8c6etd
Here's the pastebin so you can look at the code and tell me I'm a retard without having to play it
http://pastebin.com/uzeGAVbs

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Sounds like it could be interesting! Does Construction 8 ever get researched anymore?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

How are u posted:

Sounds like it could be interesting! Does Construction 8 ever get researched anymore?

I see it a few times for things like Gatestone, but you might as well just get S9 and wish for it since it's cheaper and alteration 9 is generally better than construction 8.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Signed up for the Newbie Game as Vanheim. Time to horrifically get crushed.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Gorelab posted:

Hm. How do I get a Desura profile if I bought this via steam?

I would also like to know this.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

You don't need one, just use your steam profile.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

How are u posted:

I researched it once when my plan for a game was torpedoed by bad luck/decisions. I basically farted around the whole game making dumb artifacts until someone killed me.

... somehow, I ended up one of the final two survivors.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
Certain nations can make good use of construction 8 by grabbing the magic booster items

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

TheSpookyDanger posted:

You don't need one, just use your steam profile.

Oh fair enough. Might not be able to sign up due to other commitments, but thanks :)

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Mister Adequate posted:

Oh fair enough. Might not be able to sign up due to other commitments, but thanks :)

So far clippy has been about a turn a day. I spend like ten minutes max each day on my turn so far, so you might be able to swing that.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

TheSpookyDanger posted:

So far clippy has been about a turn a day. I spend like ten minutes max each day on my turn so far, so you might be able to swing that.

What's really starting to take time now in Clippygame, at least for me, is getting hold of people I'm bumping into to talk some with them. Yeah, the actual turn itself only takes me 10 minutes or so.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014

I would like to recommend an Awake Dragon pretender for anyone new to the game who is not sure what to do with his pretender. A dragon allows for very rapid expansion, which should secure you a economic lead.
Dominion 9 is a must, awe adds a lot to their survivability (does not work vs. undead and other high-morale units). After that decide if you want scales or a bless. If scales just go X4 in the dragon's magic path and Order 3 + some other scales of your preference. If a bless, go X9 and pick some bad scales. Consider X9 if yo want to cast AoE-scaling spells with massively improved Area of Effect.

How to use the dragon during expansion:
Set orders to Fire or (hold)x5 Attack Closest.
click on indie povinces as if playing diablo.
Beware of provinces with undead, heavy cav and very high unit count, test it out in SP to check a dragon's limits!

Which dragon to choose:

1) Water - Second best breath attack, if I'm not mistaken it works poorly against undead. Opens up interesting battle magic oppurtunities with empowerment and one of the better globals.
W4 opens up the oppurtunity for one of the better globals, Vengeful waters. You can cast Falling Frost and Grip of winter.
W9 is a very good bless, probably my favorite. Any scaling AoE Frost skill will absolutely murder anyone, see falling frost. If you can get ahold of 50 Air or Fire gems it might be worth empoweing your pretender, to then cast Freezing Mist/Acid Rain with ridiculous AoE. ( A W9A1 Freezing mist is 10 squares AoE)

2) Fire- Probably the best breath attack, meh magic options, would get if I wanted an F9 bless or flaming arrows
F4 opens up Flaming Arrows, this is good if your nation has archers and you intend to go archer-heavy. It is not a bad idea to base your army around this idea earlier on in the game. Heat from Hell/Firestorm are other spells your dragon can get you if you have no fire mages.
F9 - I think the only spell that scales in AoE is Falling fires. No powerful globals.

3) Nature - Probably the worst breath, but excellent AoE-scaling battle magic. Has decent globals. The bless is good if you want to make your sacreds beefier. Also good for thug-based nations.
N4 opens up the option to cast mother oak and Gift of Health. After empowering with water you can cast foul vapors + poison ward.
N9 has a lot of powerful combat options. Sleep cloud with gigantic Area of Effect and MR penetration, this can easily make a huge chunk of an enemy army just sleep while the rest of your army just kills them. A good way to protect yourself against early rushes. Safe to use against B9 bless. Panic also scales well in it's AoE and is worth mentioning here.

A dragon can also shapeshift into human form to hold magic boosters.

TL;DR:
Don't attack undeads.
Fire - I want to archer spam/fire bless
Water - I want water bless/ Vengeful waters
Nature - I want the nature bless/ anti-rush / early good battle magicks

M_Bison fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 8, 2015

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
O3 is just less good than G3 if you think you're going to be in the game for longer than a few months (your plan should hopefully involve being in the game by year 2).

I know that fact runs contrary to all those years of Dominions 3 experience and guides, but it's true now.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
I heard that Growth 3 surpasses Order 3 byt the end of year 1? Something like that. I still like getting at least 1 point in growth, as it helps you a bit in the long run. Order 3 just gives you a huge income advantage for the expansion phase, you can recruit more expansion armies, getting more land -> probably ending up with more cash if you had less lands with growth 3?
+15% income from your capital alone is pretty significant. It's all down to personal preference and nation you're playing in the end.

EDIT: I am wondering if it's feasible to play Yomi with Turmoil 1, Growth 3. Not getting a bless specifically for the Dai Oni, and trying to rely early on the bandit archers, later on transitioning into casting darkness and using the Oni? I am not really sure how I'm supposed to play this nation, but the Dai Oni are a really cool unit and I want to make it work some day.

M_Bison fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 8, 2015

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

M_Bison posted:

EDIT: I am wondering if it's feasible to play Yomi with Turmoil 1, Growth 3. Not getting a bless specifically for the Dai Oni, and trying to rely early on the bandit archers, later on transitioning into casting darkness and using the Oni? I am not really sure how I'm supposed to play this nation, but the Dai Oni are a really cool unit and I want to make it work some day.
I have a few writeups for Yomi wins recently if you want some ideas. The gist of it is that you really only wind up using their recruited demons early in the game for expansion, or for specific purposes later on. Also keep in mind that your early expansion will probably be into provinces that don't have your candles or dominion yet, too.

Chaos Power mostly affects melee stats, and your Oni Generals / Dai Oni casters hopefully won't be doing much of that. You could go light on Turmoil if you wanted.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Gorelab posted:

Signed up for the Newbie Game as Vanheim. Time to horrifically get crushed.
Trust in W9 Vanhere

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

M_Bison posted:

I heard that Growth 3 surpasses Order 3 byt the end of year 1?
Yep. O3 is 15% once, G3 is 9% once, plus .9% stacking Every Turn, Forever.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Not just stacking; compounding.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Right that's the actual word (I haven't used any specific maths terminology in years, sorry)

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Do any nations get specific bonuses from O over G (in the way that some nations benefit from Turmoil or Drain) or is G just basically always better than O?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

jBrereton posted:

You are still ignoring unrest reduction which gives income boosts every time you take a new province, is faster and is frontended.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014

JoshTheStampede posted:

Do any nations get specific bonuses from O over G (in the way that some nations benefit from Turmoil or Drain) or is G just basically always better than O?

Order has the added benefit of reducing Unrest quicker, which is helpful when blood hunting.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

JoshTheStampede posted:

Order can be helpful for blood hunt nations because it helps to keep your blood hunt unrest in check. But then, you can do that just by buying a couple more patrollers, and blood hunt nations also benefit especially from Growth, which helps to mitigate the population loss of their hunts.

I don't think Growth is always better, though. This:

M_Bison posted:

I heard that Growth 3 surpasses Order 3 byt the end of year 1
is true only in your capital, since growth scales take a year to surpass order scales after your dominion spreads to that province, so it's not as simple as growth being better after a year. Order scales kick in as soon as they spread to your new provinces, and the unrest reduction is a non-trivial income boost as well like ilu said.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Order also pairs better with misfortune.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Boing posted:

is true only in your capital, since growth scales take a year to surpass order scales after your dominion spreads to that province
Yeah but Order doesn't magically spread better than Growth so that's a stupid point to argue on.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
the proper answer is to take both order AND growth 3, duh

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Well yeah if you have the points for it.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

the proper answer is to take both order AND growth 3, duh

I tend to tank temp scales to pay for growth these days. Order3 goes without saying the majority of times.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Kitfox88 always has the points for it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

if you don't have the points maybe you should pick a cheaper pretender, or imprison them. :smuggo:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Nothing wrong with an S3 Dom4 Oracle.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

He usually takes dom10 to spread his scales around.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Sooo... I've been playing a bit with EA Pangaea for the next newbie game. I have absolutely no idea on how the game works, besides reading some LPs, so feel free to laugh at this.

First discovery: White Centaurs with a major blessing murder everything. A party of 8 kill basically every indie I have come across, although I'd rather give them some arrow catcher fodder. It seems I can expand with 3-4 parties of Centaurs without using a Pretender, but I'm not sure I should.

Troop quality besides that is pretty meh. I save a lot on resources, and basic troops aren't outrageously expensive, at least, but they aren't going to win me the game. Size 3 in most of my good troops hurts. I cannot mass archers unless I find some good indies, and don't have natural Fire or Air access, so gently caress bows. Tactics seem to rely on dudes with shields to get close to the enemy, then make mincemeat via berserker sacred centaurs..

Regarding magic, I have natural N, W, E and B, although the only blood dude is slow to recruit AND bloody expensive. Hell, all my mages and priests seem expensive. At least none are cap-only (although most are forest only. Centaur Hierophant is listed in the mod inspector as both forest and not forest? wtf?). Looking at the list of magic spells, a few things caught my eye:

Conjuration: Conj 4 has Awaken Vine Ogre. 2 for 3 gems, with some of the local pretenders having Ivy Lord. Conjuration 3 is Contact Naiad, W3N3 mage, better that what I can naturally get. Conjuration 6 gives me D2 and E3 Trolls, but they are expensive in gems I don't have.
Blood: 5 gives Rain of Toads :getin: Further in you can summon dudes with other paths. Blood 8 seem to be the easiest way via Bind Heliophagus, but a Dryad Mother can cast some other stuff earlier.
Alteration 5: Mother Oak. Gems for the gem god.
Enchantment 7: Gift of Health seems a natural global to aim for.
Thaumaturgy 3 for site searching. Panic, too.
Construction 4 has plenty of boosters for blood, water and nature. A pan with B2 can create a Brazen Vessel, then Armor of twisting thorns and then we're in business. Same with Earth Boots.

Problem is that I have absolutely no idea what to go for early game, and I can't see much in the way of magic nukes in Nature up to Evocation 7. Also, is blood magic worth it with Pangaea? Only pans have blood access.

And finally the pretender. The idea is probably to cover magic paths, hopefully with a strong bless. I can get an Imprisoned Irminsul with Dom 9, N9 and two minor blessings (A and F?) to open other paths with Turmoil 3, Growth 3 and Luck 1 (or whatever the end distribution ends up being, probably some sloth won't hurt too much), or drop it to Dom 8 (8 White Centaurs should be a good enough expansion party) and get an extra positive scale somewhere. But I'm sure an immobile Imprisoned pretender is a pretty bad idea for a first MP game.

A F9 Dragon with 9 Dom means I have to take 3 negative scales to break even. Where should I put them? Turmoil and Sloth? Drain? It also makes the Bless strategy worse than the previous one, so my White Centaurs will be less effective. Other kind of dragons overlap too much with my natural magic paths.

Basically I have no idea of what I'm doing. Help!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

My preference would be for a quickness bless on the white centaurs, i.e. a blue dragon (high level water is good), or possibly a green dragon for regen + HP if you don't mind swapping out any hope of magic diversity. They already hit better than average, so quickness (to further boost their ace defence) or nature (to give extra HP and regen to make that berserk really work) would be good.

I'd go order and growth for pangaea, you can put points into sloth and probably temperature no probs. You don't have particularly efficient research mages so bear that in mind if you go drain.

Absum
May 28, 2013

I'm not qualified to say what you should research first but alt is a real good tree, MOak + swarm + wooden warriors + transformation. Evo is probably also good for sleep cloud spam, your chaff has higher than average mr anyway.

Turmoil is fine for checking out maenads, but I do hope you know what you're getting yourself into if so.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Never not luck

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Pangaea usually leans on their blessed White Centaur early on because they make expansion trivial and they're pretty nasty later with buffs, too. W9 is the most common. N9 and W9+N9 are also doable but less common.

In terms of battle magic, you probably won't need it in the early game. Midgame, spells like Howl, Swarm, Panic, Sleep Cloud and Poison Cloud are strong. Later on, spells like Polymorph and Mass Regen are pretty awesome.

You also have access to strong Earth magic (buffs, debuffs, earthquake) by gearing up Pans with earth boosters, or tapping them into communions via their Blood paths. That's a very good option if you find a common source of cheap communion slaves like Crystal Sorcs, Lizard Shaman or Sages.

You are the frontrunner for Mother Oak and GOH. Don't neglect the other nature globals that are good, too. Ivy Ogres, Lamia Queens and Worms that Walk are all good uses of nature gems later on. Faerie Courts can be helpful if you need Air access.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

A W9 bless is good for pan because you can blood sac to spread your dominion and cast Vengeful Waters, which generally murders commanders and can paralyze attacking armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

:gitgud:

• Locked thread