Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Oh yeah, sorry, that's what I meant, Droid -> Action in your action bar. Sorry for the confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Obama 2012 posted:

You're confusing me--I'm saying I thought you COULDN'T use the droid with PTL. Or did you mean to say 'use the droid for your action, then use PTL for something in your action bar'? I know THAT would be legal, I'm just trying to nail down the rules technicality. I'm preparing for my first tournament and things get can get thorny, what with all these 'actions', 'free actions', 'actions listed in your action bar', etc.

Yeah, he got it reversed. Droid THEN PTL to do an action bar action.

EDIT: That's what I get for not going to the next page...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jhorphear posted:

Neither standard or modern are stale or boring at the moment. standard seems to be changing every week and there are a ton of competitive decks in modern right now.

But aside from that, ill be heading down for my first x-wing game night tonight, gonna see if i can pilot some sweet 8 tie swarm action.

Modern is fine but I'm talking about standard. I'm not the only one observing this either since the 5 stores in the immediate 20 mile radius has been seeing smaller turnout for standard too.

Good on you for taking a swarm. I do miss playing against them as a fat Han player. I would play one myself but in terrible at box formations.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar

Chill la Chill posted:

Modern is fine but I'm talking about standard. I'm not the only one observing this either since the 5 stores in the immediate 20 mile radius has been seeing smaller turnout for standard too.

Good on you for taking a swarm. I do miss playing against them as a fat Han player. I would play one myself but in terrible at box formations.

Flying in the pin wheel just looks like so much fun. might not even matter if i win or lose. Need to see if the 4x obsidian 4x academy pilot list is gonna work for me, might have to drop a few ships to squeeze a howlrunner and an phantom in.

We have been seeing better than average turn outs for our FNM, although i do live in a small town, we have been getting around 28-30 people showing up.

jhorphear fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 7, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pinwheel works better for rebel lists, I've found. It's what I used in Biggs formations. It's still fine if you plan on doing two groups of ties but for a larger group it gets in the way of the standard box + 2 side ties facing towards the box.

I've been practicing with a mini swarm + whisper list. It'll be fun once the scum upgrades come out, but I'll probably switch to the baron + swarm.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

What are the advantages of Whisper vs Echo? I've seen a couple people post about them both, and I've always wondered why you would take Whisper when Echo seems better at arc dodging, which is the Phantom's thing.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Whisper shoots and recloaks before anyone who isn't built to explicitly shoot before him. His pilot ability isn't why you take him, though it is nice, it's all about the pilot skill.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, it's the reason why VI is an insta-pick.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

...the standard box + 2 side ties facing towards the box.

As someone who never sees swarms, can you explain this?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Make a box out of 4 ties and then place 1 tie in either side facing the box so they can go in parade formation. The usual opening is 4 straight in the box and 2 turns from the side ties. It's not to be used in all circumstances but it's a standard opener for a swarm.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Whats a good website to buy minis from? My friend and I picked up the starter set tonight and had a pretty good time playing but our store has a small selection and it seems to be over priced.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Partial Octopus posted:

Whats a good website to buy minis from? My friend and I picked up the starter set tonight and had a pretty good time playing but our store has a small selection and it seems to be over priced.

I've bought 90% of my collection from coolstuffinc, but I think there are several other retailers (miniature market?) that have comparable prices.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Partial Octopus posted:

Don't pay over MSRP ever, ships go in and out of stock depending on FFG's print runs, there's supposed to be a really big restock coming in February. But most board game/miniatures/Amazon sites will sell ships for good prices when they aren't between printings.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Thanks for the info. I'm also interested in building an imperial fleet/squad or whatever you call it. I'm aware that the game is pretty balanced but are there any units in particular that I should get or avoid?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Had my first games last night at the local club and had a lot of fun, whomever suggested Jake with push the limit and with proton rockets thank you very much, what a great little package. In my first game I ran the rebel list below against a Decimator with the rear admiral, gunner, rebel captive and the upgrade that gives target lock and two vanilla saber squadron pilots. The rebel captive proved to be an Achilles heel as Keyen abused it like crazy for free stress tokens until he died. I managed to clean up the tie's so it was Jake and Bigs vs the Decimater. I sat at range three and he couldn't outdamage the shield regen on Biggs and eventually I managed to whittle him down.

Game two was a total mess, I ran 3 named tie's and 2 interceptors vs two a-wings, Wedge and Tarn(?). Took out Wedge early but then we sort of flew in circles for awhile and ran out of time. Still learnt quite a lot, especially about trying to do formation flying!

There is a club tournament at the end of the month that I would like to take part in, but one thing I noticed was that every other table apart from mine had a Falcon and an Outrider being used on it, in fact it was basically Falcon + Outrider vs Falcon + Outrider everywhere. I am guessing that I am going to be facing this a lot in the tourney. I don't have a lot of models yet, so I am kind of limited in what I can field. My choices are either my rebels which is fun but I think is too techy, and I only have 3 ships:

Jake Farrel
- Push the Limit
- Proton Rockets (These really surprised my opponent, I don't think anyone flies high agility ships)

Biggs Darklighter
-R2 D2

Keyan Farlander
-B-Wing/E2
-Kyle Katarn
-Enhanced Scopes
-Proton Torpedoes (Possibly move these to Biggs)

Or try out something more imperial:

Howlrunner
-Swarm Tactics (used this for the first time last night with Howl, Backstabber and Mithel and really really liked it, but seems better with really low skill pilots)

Academy Pilot

Academy Pilot

Darth Vader
-Swarm Tactics
-Proton Rockets

Saber Squadron Pilot

I could also drop Vader and take another interceptor and give them both push the limit. Both are very appealing, I don't have Soontir Fel though.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Thanks!

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 8, 2015

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Devlan Mud posted:

Don't pay over MSRP ever, ships go in and out of stock depending on FFG's print runs, there's supposed to be a really big restock coming in February. But most board game/miniatures/Amazon sites will sell ships for good prices when they aren't between printings.

As another goon found, for some reason Barnes and Noble's online store has recently had some of the harder to find ships in stock as well. Price is below MSRP too.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Had a close game with my roommate the other night.

I ran:

Biggs w/ R2-D2, Tycho w/ PTL, Blue Squad w/ Ion Cannon and a Gold Squad pilot. He ran a Decimator and a Shuttle with a shitton of upgrades like Mara Jade and Ysanne Isard.

I didn't use Biggs properly as I had all my ships grouped too closely together. The point of Biggs is to make it so they can't focus fire on a single target. Instead, all fire was focused on Biggs and he blew up within a couple turns. Then my roomie didn't quite account for how much of a big fat cow the shuttle is and flew it off the table trying to avoid an asteroid, so we both played like chucklefucks. However, realizing that he flies like a drunk, he took the Dominator and starting running people over.

I came very drat close to winning, but toward the end I had some incredibly unfortunate rolls. Your heart sinks a bit when you roll four dice and they all turn up blank.

Also I learned that Y-Wings really do kinda suck.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There's not much point flying gold squad Y-Wings without a turret, yeah.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Phrosphor posted:

Jake Farrel
- Push the Limit
- Proton Rockets (These really surprised my opponent, I don't think anyone flies high agility ships)

Biggs Darklighter
-R2 D2

Keyan Farlander
-B-Wing/E2
-Kyle Katarn
-Enhanced Scopes

I've been thinking about something pretty similar. Did you find the proton rockets were worth their effective 5 points? I've been leaning more towards something like Outmaneuver or Predator to up his steady damage output.

How did Kyle Katarn treat you on Keyan? Seems like the focus would just be good for defense? I've been thinking about an Opportunist/Gunner combination, but it's painfully expensive.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

One of my friends managed to do well with two A-Wings with prockets at a store tourney, but that was with Jan supplying one more dice and getting VI on both Jake and Tycho to create a huge alpha potential to take out big threats (reducing decimators down to a manageable size, just outright destroying phantoms in a single turn etc). Struggled against swarms though, and 5 points is still steep for something that you are going to use only once.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
I started playing tournament style at my FLGS League Night recently, and for my first trick I've been working on refining an all X-wing squad. Here's what I have thus far:

Luke Skywalker (37)
R2-D2
Draw Their Fire
Flechette Torpedoes
Munitions Failsafe

Jek Porkins (35)
R5-D8
Push the Limit
Flechette Torpedoes
Munitions Failsafe

Biggs Darklighter (28)
R2-F2

Total: 99

I fly Luke and Biggs in formation, the former taking any crits that come their way and repairing them with R2-D2, while Jek is a wild card, wandering off to flank. In my last match I managed, through equal parts skill and dumb luck, to clear out my opponent's two Interceptors by turn 3, leaving me with almost unscathed with only Echo to deal with. I ended up losing the match though, due largely to my lack of a cohesive strategy for capping a Phantom but also because I lost the roll for initiative--combined with his Veteran Instincts' this meant all of his ships were moving after and shooting before mine.

Now I'm agonizing over whether or not I should drop an Elite Pilot Skill from Luke or Jek to make room for some Veteran Instincts of my own. Echo being able to attack and recloack before any of my pilots shot was a serious weakness, and with the Phantom's green 2 bank maneuver my Flechette's ability to deal stress was useless unless I was able to get two or more tokens on him in one round. Jek's ability to eat stress is great with PTL, but with his limited action bar the real utility is his being able to use R5-D8 to repair without costing him a focus/target lock for the round. I could get the same thing done using Experimental Interface, but I'm not sure that's the best investment (I also don't have a YT-2400 yet, so, you know, $$$).

Any input or suggestions? I want to keep it at 3 X-Wings, and I consider Jek non-negotiable as he is my homeboy.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

zVxTeflon posted:

Its an action to use it so you wont get 3 actions. All it does for ships with baseline BR is remove a Target lock and not give you a stress.

Wait, according to the errata, it's a free action, not a regular action.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Madurai posted:

Wait, according to the errata, it's a free action, not a regular action.
You still have to expend an action to activate the text, because of the 'Action:' header. The 'Free' in the text doesn't mean that you get to do it without expending an action.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Obama 2012 posted:

Luke - Biggs - Porkins

I understand you love Jek Porkins, but I'd say this is probably a better list (or at least more my style):

Biggs Darklighter (31)
R2-F2
Stealth Device

Luke Skywalker (36)
R2-D2
Shield Upgrade

Wedge Antilles (33)
Shield Upgrade

I've just never had Porkins' ability do anything useful for me, and I think Wedge / Luke / Biggs really is the best of the available X-Wings.

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 8, 2015

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

TheTofuShop posted:

Biggs - Luke - Wedge

I've just never had Porkins' ability do anything useful for me, and I think Wedge / Luke / Biggs really is the best of the available X-Wings.

I'm surprised to hear you say that about Jek, I've found a special sort of glee in pulling stress free K-turn/focus/target-lock moves using PTL, although that may be due to my good fortune with the red damage die. That kind of thing is doubly important for my list due to my reliance on Flechette's for stress dealing. I see you stripped those from yours--how would you approach flying against a Phantom, Soontir Fel, etc. without offensive stress to jam them up?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

MCPeePants posted:

I've been thinking about something pretty similar. Did you find the proton rockets were worth their effective 5 points? I've been leaning more towards something like Outmaneuver or Predator to up his steady damage output.

How did Kyle Katarn treat you on Keyan? Seems like the focus would just be good for defense? I've been thinking about an Opportunist/Gunner combination, but it's painfully expensive.

I don't have Outmaneuver, or Predator, so my impressions might be quite biased. However I found the Proton Rockets to be a very nasty surprise. With a Green 5 move, a Boost, a Barrel Roll and the free focus to fire the prockets you can very suddenly drop 5 dice on someone. It wiped out an interceptor in one hit yesterday. I have only played one game with it though - in that game they definitely were worth it. I think you have to be willing to fire them when you get the chance, rather than save them for something, because the A-wing can just get swatted.

You can always drop the rockets and take the Chaardan refit through, I am guessing that is where you are making them 5 points as the card is only 3?

Kyle basically meant I could make a red maneuver every turn and still get some payoff from it if I fired and got at least one hit. I wouldn't say he was amazing but the focus did help keep Keyen alive a little longer.

TheTofuShop posted:

I understand you love Jek Porkins, but I'd say this is probably a better list (or at least more my style):

Biggs Darklighter (31)
R2-F2
Stealth Device

Luke Skywalker (36)
R2-D2
Shield Upgrade

Wedge Antilles (33)
Shield Upgrade

A guy ran this for a laugh last night against an Outrider and an E-wing. He killed the E-wing pretty quickly and then spent the rest of the game mercilessly bullying the outrider from max range and was pretty good at slipping Biggs in and out of range to spread out damage.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 8, 2015

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Edit: Double post - Whoops

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
Echo can fairly readily handle 3 lower-PS X-Wings all by her lonesome if competently flown. The only tactic I've used successfully against a phantom with lower PS pilots is killings it's friends and then running out the clock by denying decloak options that give it a shot. Multiple flechettes could work (against Whisper) but again, a competent Echo pilot will keep you from ever having more than one X in arc and range.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

The Phantom is definitely the weakest matchup as Lunatic Pathos mentions, but my strategy is usually similar to what Phrosphor mentioned, hit a high value target then play keepaway with Biggs.

Admittedly, my LGS is all Sir Mix A Lot lately, everyone is running some list involving a YT in some form.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Man, prices for these ships fluctuate more than bitcoin. Y wings were 9.99 two weeks ago and now the cheapest amazon seller wants 29.99. B&N was below MSRP, now it's back to $25. A phantom was $7.99 a few days ago, now it's $15. I'm sure in a month or two we'll be back to MSRP.

Screw playing the game, lets form a cartel, lock this poo poo down and use the profits to build life size space ships and sit inside them making pew-pew noises.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Just buy from a FLGS when they come in stock. Unless your FLGS does that with prices.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
So among several belated Xmas gifts my girlfriend got me the Lamda shuttle and I was wondering what are some of the different tactics and setups you guys run with this ship?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The simplest one is the Doom Shuttle, which is just an Omicron Group Pilot with Vader, which is cheap and effective. Usually you want to buy upgrades to make the lambda more maneuverable: engine upgrades is nice by itself, coupled with Advanced Sensors you can be surprisingly speedy with it. If you really want to spend a lot of points on the ship, you can do stuff like getting an Fire Control System, a Gunner and Weapons Engineer, which allows you shoot something that you know you will likely miss, get a lock on it and another ship, then shoot the other ship with the help of the target lock.

There are some other ideas in this FFG article as well.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

The Sisko posted:

So among several belated Xmas gifts my girlfriend got me the Lamda shuttle and I was wondering what are some of the different tactics and setups you guys run with this ship?

My brother runs it extra defensively with rebel captive/sensor jammers/anti pursuit lasers and captain Yorr. Tends to make it such an uphill struggle to shoot at it that people generally don't bother, which is a bad idea.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Tekopo posted:

The simplest one is the Doom Shuttle, which is just an Omicron Group Pilot with Vader, which is cheap and effective. Usually you want to buy upgrades to make the lambda more maneuverable: engine upgrades is nice by itself, coupled with Advanced Sensors you can be surprisingly speedy with it. If you really want to spend a lot of points on the ship, you can do stuff like getting an Fire Control System, a Gunner and Weapons Engineer, which allows you shoot something that you know you will likely miss, get a lock on it and another ship, then shoot the other ship with the help of the target lock.

There are some other ideas in this FFG article as well.

Asphyxious posted:

My brother runs it extra defensively with rebel captive/sensor jammers/anti pursuit lasers and captain Yorr. Tends to make it such an uphill struggle to shoot at it that people generally don't bother, which is a bad idea.

Thanks for the quick responses! Ill be to throw both of those into a lists for some games this weekend.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Sisko posted:

I don't know… just fly casual.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

Phrosphor posted:

Keyan Farlander
-B-Wing/E2
-Kyle Katarn
-Enhanced Scopes

Wait, how are you doing this? I must be missing something, the Keyan Farlander card doesn't have a slot for a crew member upgrade, but you're using the Kyle Katarn crew card right?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The e2 is the crew member upgrade. Kyle and Jan work well in the seat.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
Oh thank you, I see that one now. I have the Rebel Aces set, so that looks like a nice list to try out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So is there going to be a new Firespray released for the Scum faction that's going to be better looking, have better upgrades and just be overall better than the Firespray I just picked up from B&N?

• Locked thread