Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

xie posted:

Yes, interestingly enough. Same image/verse, some similar clues, totally different end location, and they came to them independently.

Neat, if nothing else. But also very telling.

And I think someone else did some digging earlier in Milwaukie, Oregon using the Milwaukee picture, but different verse.

Also lol at some dude trying to snipe this and getting busted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

CrashCat posted:

I say I'm tired of this calling out bullshit, unbookmark the thread if you can't loving stand it anymore

b-b-but then he'd need a new gimmick and everything

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I mean i'll totally admit that if I'm Martin Randoming you here then that's some loving dumb poo poo that deserves to be mocked off the forums. But at this point it's not even "ur a wuss/goon, u wont dig" but who lies about filling out pages of unfun permit applications and taking measurements of the dirt? If I was going to lie on the internet (in a thread I've been super active in for years) why would it be about the excitement of MA state bureocracy?

I admit it got under my skin when I felt road blocked with digging (because I didn't want to become NBB) but now it's just kind of weird.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

xie posted:

I mean i'll totally admit that if I'm Martin Randoming you here then that's some loving dumb poo poo that deserves to be mocked off the forums. But at this point it's not even "ur a wuss/goon, u wont dig" but who lies about filling out pages of unfun permit applications and taking measurements of the dirt? If I was going to lie on the internet (in a thread I've been super active in for years) why would it be about the excitement of MA state bureocracy?

I admit it got under my skin when I felt road blocked with digging (because I didn't want to become NBB) but now it's just kind of weird.

Then take me up on the offer.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Tony Homo posted:

Then take me up on the offer.

alternate option: forums poster Tony Homo funnels Draino into his own rectum, dies

Reg718
Jan 4, 2015
I'm sorry my first post pissed off some people. Just trying to introduce myself properly and give my background on this book and its puzzles. Didn't want people to think I'm some noob who just jumped in and had no idea about the subject. I also had those questions about the kindle version apposed to printed and hoped I'd get some answers. Sorry again.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

OMGVBFLOL posted:

alternate option: forums poster Tony Homo funnels Draino into his own rectum, dies

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Reg718 posted:

I'm sorry my first post pissed off some people. Just trying to introduce myself properly and give my background on this book and its puzzles. Didn't want people to think I'm some noob who just jumped in and had no idea about the subject. I also had those questions about the kindle version apposed to printed and hoped I'd get some answers. Sorry again.

People are just being hazing pricks. I think the ones of these that get solved will probably people who come in with some fresh ideas and get boots on the ground.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Nocheez posted:

I've spent a little time wandering around Golden Gate Park (GGP) for the past couple of days, and I think the Rose Garden/Shakespeare Gardens have a lot of matches for the verse that is associated most with SF. Some of the theories about cable-cars, candle stick park, and such are hogwash; a reference to something walking you from the stone door (air smells sweet lines up with the great aroma of flowers in that area). Also, you can see the "high posts are three" antenna from the Rose Garden area.

The wife and I will have all day Thursday to explore. I've developed some tendonitis in my right knee from all the walking/running I've been doing, but I'm loading up on ibuprofen and caffeine.

When we went last(?) year we couldn't find much in the Shakespeare garden but you may have more luck. At least get them to unlock the door that covers the bust, we missed it.

The rose garden is just grass and roses.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Reg718 posted:

Anybody who got pissed at your post is a big rear end baby. Don't worry about it.

And yeah it's pretty obvious that to find the rest, you're going to need to make some cognitive leap that nobody else has. Posting picture matches aren't going to cut it.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I think there are 2 ways to solve them at this point, and that's making a vague assumption that the remaining ones all work more like Chicago/Boston and less like Cleveland.

You can find a concrete image match that exists in a park, and only in that park, and you can confirm it was there in 1981 and nowhere else. That would be the Shurcliff Benches, in my opinion, in Boston. The Bowman statue in Chicago. If you managed to find them, the statue arms near the Hatch Shell in Boston.

Once Four21thrasher showed me the shurcliff benches, the "K" on the compass, etc. despite not being able to convince everyone on the internet, I knew I had the right park. You can then narrow down the verse because you have a contained geographic area.

The other way is to piece the verse together and take it significantly more literally than most people do. Not scrape together a bunch of weird references and could bes and maybes.

But at this point if you can't point to anything concrete you're not going to shift anyone's theories or change the hunt.

I mean, if you find a map of NJ, that's a pretty big deal, and I have a pet theory for NJ (I can't shake the first line, I just can't wrap my head around it being the only super literal first clue. None of the other first lines bring you to a specific spot like "next to a big building.") as you may know, so I'm certainly open to hearing more about it.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Can somebody with better IT skills than me please find and post the police report? loving LOL

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
hey you guys stop reporting tony homo for "being a dick", literally nobody cares

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

forbidden lesbian posted:

hey you guys stop reporting tony homo for "being a dick", literally nobody cares
I didn't do that but it kind of makes me happy to hear

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
DIG UP THRE THREASURE AREADY

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
report me for shitposting you loving imbeciles

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
because of all the dumb loving reports we've had from this thread I am now going to babysit you

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I toured Ghirardelli square and the Russian Hill today. I think there's a good chance Priess wanted you to start near the square and walk down towards the bay. Tomorrow is the day I get to walk as much as I want (or more accurately, can) and check out some theories for myself. If nothing else, I've learned a ton about this area.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

gnarlyhotep posted:

because of all the dumb loving reports we've had from this thread I am now going to babysit you

It would be loving hilarious if you gassed this thread and hellbanned any further discussion of this poo poo.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

That would really suck because I had nothing to do with NBB's poo poo or any reporting :/

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

xie posted:

That would really suck because I had nothing to do with NBB's poo poo or any reporting :/

lol It would be loving great. You could make status reports over the white noise of trannies and anime.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Demonachizer posted:

lol It would be loving great. You could make status reports over the white noise of trannies and anime.

why are your posts no longer flipped

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

why are your posts no longer flipped

Some human being games poster made a whine thread that Lowtax noticed.

EDIT: It used to be "Why are your posts flipped" but now I have transcended this.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Demonachizer posted:

It would be loving hilarious if you gassed this thread and hellbanned any further discussion of this poo poo.

I prefer to take a more moderate stance (almost like a...moderator) and let the thread off with a warning

most sane peiople will heed it

others can eat a dick

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

gnarlyhotep posted:

I prefer to take a more moderate stance (almost like a...moderator) and let the thread off with a warning

most sane peiople will heed it

others can eat a dick

Keep it in the back of your mind :)

Was Xie the biggest whiner?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Demonachizer posted:

Keep it in the back of your mind :)

Was Xie the biggest whiner?

no, xie has not reported anyone to my knowledge

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
gnarly, i think you are good mod. about time gbs had a good one.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
please don't gas this thread because i actually want to see if xie solved it

Reg718
Jan 4, 2015
Xie if you are talking to me about the map of jersey, I want to state I don't think it is in jersey, I'm still leading toward NY/Brooklyn. However it really does look like an upside down map of jersey in the pic for image 12 on the secret wiki. Like the terminal tower in the Cleveland pic. In my kindle version this shape is not there. It's perfectly straight. I was just wondering why the major differences in pics and verses.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Waltzing Along posted:

gnarly, i think you are good mod. about time gbs had a good one.

thank you, I appreciate that

please everyone get back to the treasure hunting things whatever

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Reg718 posted:

it really does look like an upside down map of jersey in the pic for image 12 on the secret wiki.... In my kindle version this shape is not there. It's perfectly straight. I was just wondering why the major differences

:tinfoil:

Reg718
Jan 4, 2015
Why the dunce cap? You honestly can say that the space between the center onion dome and right dome does not in ANY way resemble NJ?? Upside down like the tower in Cleveland pic. I'm not stating im convinced it does represent NJ or saying I think it's buried there. Just an observation. Others have come up with way more far out observations than that. And I'm only saying it cause I have the kindle edition and in this version the pic is different as well as the verse linked to this pic. Nearby is not alone on a line it's all one line , although the sign Nearby. That's different from original. Just wondering why

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Reg718 posted:

Why the dunce cap? You honestly can say that the space between the center onion dome and right dome does not in ANY way resemble NJ?? Upside down like the tower in Cleveland pic. I'm not stating im convinced it does represent NJ or saying I think it's buried there. Just an observation. Others have come up with way more far out observations than that. And I'm only saying it cause I have the kindle edition and in this version the pic is different as well as the verse linked to this pic. Nearby is not alone on a line it's all one line , although the sign Nearby. That's different from original. Just wondering why

It's a tinfoil hat, welcome to the forums.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

gnarlyhotep posted:

lol goons are loving terrible

e:

Reg718 posted:

you most of all

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I've got ample puzzle designing experience, even sold some puzzles to Telltale Games.

I've been thinking of making a tribute puzzle. I have a few questions:

1. Do people ITT think I'd have to bury anything of actual value, or could I get away with just some nice token that displays well?
2. Would I be able to get a gifted goon to draw a picture for me (obv for free)? Or is The Secret's artist just too amazing to be duplicated?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

1) You don't have to do anything of value, but honestly it's cool if it's something handmade/that you couldn't get from the store. Something artisanal and cool.

2) The art would be the most important part, it's not going to work/get interest if the picture is ugly and/or stupid. Part of the reason that this treasure hunt endures is that the pictures are super-mysterious looking and really cool. Probably couldn't do this with free art.

I thought about doing a tribute puzzle too, doing it as King Arthur's Knights of the Round Table and burying ceramic medallions that could be turned in for unique forged swords (RL friend is an amateur blacksmith, and a good one) with each painting being a different knight (Sir Lancelot, Sir Galahad, etc.) but it's just too much money and (more importantly) time to do it right.

Good luck if you decide to go for it!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

1) You don't have to do anything of value, but honestly it's cool if it's something handmade/that you couldn't get from the store. Something artisanal and cool.

2) The art would be the most important part, it's not going to work/get interest if the picture is ugly and/or stupid. Part of the reason that this treasure hunt endures is that the pictures are super-mysterious looking and really cool. Probably couldn't do this with free art.

I thought about doing a tribute puzzle too, doing it as King Arthur's Knights of the Round Table and burying ceramic medallions that could be turned in for unique forged swords (RL friend is an amateur blacksmith, and a good one) with each painting being a different knight (Sir Lancelot, Sir Galahad, etc.) but it's just too much money and (more importantly) time to do it right.

Good luck if you decide to go for it!

Stashing things on public property is ridiculously hard now too. Stupid people are going to think that everything is a potential pipe bomb. And maybe that's not even a stupid thing to think.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well geocaching is still a thing so I don't think it's impossible.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the advice. I do have pro artist friends that would do this for free, I was just hoping to give a goon priority before I go to them.

Hmmm... yeah I don't want people to get in trouble digging around. I do plan to bury it in a place where people can dig and there won't be police presence or anything, but there's always room to misinterpret the puzzle and then get in trub.

Maybe if it's hidden where one wouldn't have to dig. I watch for cool spots like this whenever I'm on vacation. That's the direction this will have to take, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You could always pull an Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and include a map that's too general to be of any use until you know the starting point.

It doesn't even have to take you all the way to the destination, it could just take you out to a different area with a different set of clues to interpret (this is what I was going to do, I wanted to start with landmarks that people could find/be familar with and then move the hunt out to a more remote place, where further image/verse interpretation would be necessary).

Unfortunately if you're doing one puzzle, it means one map is a "for sure" match to a verse and image, I think you might be surprised at how much easier this is when you know for sure that one verse/one image (and potentially one map) are a guaranteed match.