Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

We need to eliminate the concept of the circus, or the enmity felt towards humans by the dancing bears will result in the dark future you see before you.

Please think of the future children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Fishguts are gross and you shouldn't eat them, this misery is divine punishment.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Deforestation.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's a heavily veiled and obfuscated retelling of the life and times of the 26th American President, Theodore "T.R." Roosevelt, Jr.

His nickname was 'Teddy' and 'Teddy' is another english word for bear. Shocking but true.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

This post isn't a possible spoiler, I just think GAO GAO is a really good sound effect that should get used more.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

yup you got it :thumbsup:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Sharkopath posted:

This post isn't a possible spoiler, I just think GAO GAO is a really good sound effect that should get used more.

Yeah, the-thirty-dollar-BYOB-agreed-emote.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Effectronica posted:

Yeah, the-thirty-dollar-BYOB-agreed-emote.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Bear Shock!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's the Bearlin Wall.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm done now.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Trolling this thread = bear baiting?

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Do bears shitpost in the woods?

Gonna derail this thread with talking about anime: I don't know if i like this or not yet but boy howdy am i going to have a time finding out by watching more

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You won't be laughing when it turns out every single one of my incredibly astute observations are revealed to be true.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Literally me right now.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Thats why I said it was weird, because it would be lesbians bullying lesbians. You can assume that everyone in the town is gay, so unless japan has a strange gay on gay bullying problem it wouldn't make sense at least as presented right now. There's definitely more to it than just this and it probably involves what the two different species of lesbians represent.

Unless I missed it, there hasn't really been any indication that everyone in the school was gay and that Kureha and Sumika's relationship was considered normal by that societies standards.

I mean it's yuri, so they probably are and it it is, but still.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 8, 2015

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
The characters literally get introduced with special nametags identifying them as "yuri" so one can assume that there is some distinction being made

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

I think the "Invisible Storm" might be when a person is not invisible; that is to say, when they stand out from the crowd. It seems to be love-related as well.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

This makes me want to update my avatar to a new Ikuhara.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

This makes me want to update my avatar to a new Ikuhara.

Just wait. I'm sure there will be more and better ones.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Sharkopath posted:

She has a gun, and is therefore the most dangerous of all the bears.

the right to arm bears has been invoked

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Blockhouse posted:

the right to arm bears has been invoked

You should feel awful for getting me to snicker because of this wordplay. Nevertheless, let us talk lesbears and crackpot theories: I, for one, would like to imagine that Ikuhara became acquainted with the Bear subculture within the gay community and said to himself “Ah, what a lovely bunch of people” and decided to celebrate them by portraying them within one of his works. Alas, Ikuhara's enthusiasm was short-lived when, after finishing the pitch for the Penguindrum anime, he noticed the current state of the industry.

“I say! They are still but hopelessly obsessed with Anno's character; the one he created to make them realize how unhealthy it was to create a dead throne worshipping fictitious entities. And they keep going on and on about High-school”. He knew what had to be done, and he soldiered on. After creating the original pitch for Yuri Kuma Arashi, back when it was still known as the Penguinbear project, he felt hesitant for a moment. “No. This idea must prosper. For the people of Japan need to know about this wonderful thing that is the Bear subculture!”.

Finding himself the object of ridicule, Ikuhara continued to endure the petty name-calling and finger-pointing that followed him around. Soon, he was contacted by someone familiar; a man who started to work in the industry around the same time as he did.

It was his old friend, Hideaki Anno. “It's useless to try, Iku-chan. They are only able to see what they want to see. The Curse of Eva has engulfed this generation as well. Get with the times or you will find yourself becoming another footnote of this industry”. Anno's words hit him harder than any ridicule he had so far endured from his so-called peers...

... it was only then that the man known as Kunihiko Ikuhara knew what had to be done. “When was the last time that we actually decided to allow artless dreck to become the norm? WHEN DID BOREDOM BECAME A DESIRABLE GOAL?! I will make this right as rain once more!”

Then Ikuhara had another vision: For all the people that ridiculed him for trying, he would serve them their just desserts, so he started rewriting his story, willing to compromise even if it meant that his ideas for the Bear subculture had to go into the backseat. Then, he decided to take a shitload of drugs. Finally, a stronger idea was born.

“A story that deals with bullying in a sensitive manner”, Ikuhara proudly proclaimed. Before showing the final story to Anno, the man behind the Evangelion franchise inquired: “It's not going to be about portly guys anymore, is it?”

“No” Ikuhara firmly said. “It's going to be about pretty, middle-to-high-school-aged girls fighting against bullying. And lesbears”.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you'd seen Blue Blazes you'd know Anno doesn't talk about anything except Ultraman and Ideon.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Just want to say as a gay person who has lived in Japan the Japanese attitude to homosexuality is pretty dire so the bullying comparison is pretty overt and apt, even though all of the characters are seemingly lesbian bears.

This show mostly is just bad writing, though, so don't think too hard about it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Iunno this feels like the sort of show where it will be impossible to think too hard about :v:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Is anyone licencing or at least scanlating the manga? I'm more interested in that than the anime at this point but it seems stuck at chapter 2.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

Is anyone licencing or at least scanlating the manga? I'm more interested in that than the anime at this point but it seems stuck at chapter 2.

Manga spinoffs generally have a snowflakes chance in hell of being scanned completely because nobody gives a drat.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

a cartoon duck posted:

I saw a reference to a scanlated ch. 3 but nothing so far on actually finding it. Nobody even seems to know how many chapters have been printed in Comic Birz.

EDIT: Looks like it's been published regularly since February, so ch. 13 11 (god drat it, baka-updates) was released a week ago.

Effectronica fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 8, 2015

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
It seems weird that the manga started almost a year ago. I thought that most manga spinoffs start just a few months before the anime premiere.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

The Monkey Man posted:

It seems weird that the manga started almost a year ago. I thought that most manga spinoffs start just a few months before the anime premiere.

The Utena manga started about a year before the show began, too. Ikuhara likes to do that.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009

Snow Halation posted:

I think the "Invisible Storm" might be when a person is not invisible; that is to say, when they stand out from the crowd. It seems to be love-related as well.

The invisible storm represents the struggles of love, "I will never back down on love." “How far will you go for love? How far before you’ll break down, how much of a price are you willing to pay?”

It represents the patriarchal disapproval of homosexuality in Japanese society (or any society really), the invisible storm stands in the way of true love.

"eating humans is forbidden" "but it is in our nature, we were born this way."

This is just my theory so far.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Srice posted:

Iunno this feels like the sort of show where it will be impossible to think too hard about :v:

looks like someone has never met me befofuck i just remembered all my serious posts about lain

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's the invisible storm because you can't see the wind, it's invisible.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Maybe if it picks up a bunch of leaves first, but then you would be seeing the leaves, and not actually the storm.

It's really interesting.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

If you'd seen Blue Blazes you'd know Anno doesn't talk about anything except Ultraman and Ideon.

I saw it! It ruled. Is the original manga any good?

Also, my previous post was written under the effects of Ibuprofen, a humongous (and equally delicious!) Campechana and insomnia, so I sincerely apologize if any goon was offended by my idiotic lack of restraint.

With regards to the first episode itself: I'm just kinda wishing it didn't feel so... by-the-numbers? Like I'm pretty sure Ikuhara needs to have the Shadow Play girls in some shape or form within his works, but when the Life dudes made an appearance, it felt like I almost knew how this whole show is gonna play out. And I don't want that to happen. C'mon Ikuhara: I want to have fun, like with Utena and Penguindrum.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wark Say posted:

I saw it! It ruled. Is the original manga any good?

No idea, I've been meaning to check it out but I keep getting distracted.

Also agreed on the by the numbers feel of the first episode, sadly.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ive never watched an ikuhara show before so I'm not sure what the overused stylistic tells were, but I've seen a lot of people say that so it must be true.

Personally I think a lot depends on the next episode and if it establishes the arch of the narrative or not. I like piecing things together and sudden shifts in storytelling, but I don't really feel like there's much to grasp on at all from one episode.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

As an actual longshot attempt at guesswork instead of a bunch of jokes, I think that the bears don't actually have much to do with Sumika's disappearance, it's something to do with the storm and made up to look like a bear attack.

Also Kureha was friends with bears beforehand, based entirely on that one bear having her mom's necklace and the discussion of who her friend was being left really vague. Also her favorite food is basically pickled fish guts.

I expect the actual explanation for what bears are to be more complicated than what was given, bears are always unreliable narrators.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I honestly admire all of the people who tried to decypher the symbols in every single episode of Penguindrum when it was airing, as well as those who are starting to do the same with Yuri Kuma Arashi, but I'd honestly prefer to sit back and take it all in first for a few weeks, before attempting to put forward any detailed speculation that could be easily proven completely or partially wrong at this early stage of the game. Ikuhara is the sort of creator who can be simultaneously surprisingly clever, transparently heavy-handed and even just way too surreal for a normal person to comprehend at first glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The class rep seemed suspicious to me from the get-go. Playing nice, inserting herself into Kureha and Sumika's relationship, and then Sumika's disappearance while waiting for her and Kureha. I haven't rewatched the episode for a more solid grasp of the details, but I think she was also the one to bring up the Invisible Storm (as if she wasn't a part of it).

• Locked thread