Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Kaethela posted:

Bit of an esoteric issue, but it's a real bad one. If the current beta crashes while you're in the browser, it'll open back up to a completely blank screen.

Should be fixed in the next beta. Let me know if it isn't.

Stare-Out posted:

A thought: Would it be possible to add a feature where you can skip posts quickly? There are some posts that are long as a motherfucker that quote previous long posts to boot and it would be great to be able to quickly jump over them by, maybe, double tapping the lower part of the screen or something.

You're not the first one to suggest such a thing. I think we got hung up last time on how exactly one would trigger it. I'm open to it if we can decide how to cram it into the interface.

Ugato posted:

YouTube

iOS does some kinda goofy stuff with YouTube, but it is certainly possible to detect when the YouTube app is installed and shunt videos out there. So a setting to just always do that is certainly possible. I'll add it to the list.

withak posted:

I think he took everyone's money then ran off.

Let me tell you about the new Awful.app Kickstarter,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
The new beta is super broken. Looking at bookmarks is a crash. Looking at a forum is a crash. I had to revert to the latest official version.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I suck.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Nah, I just wanted to try to warn you asap. I can only guess it's something about trying to view threads.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Much appreciated. I wanted to explain the root cause of the failure.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Serifina posted:

The new beta is super broken. Looking at bookmarks is a crash. Looking at a forum is a crash. I had to revert to the latest official version.

Same here.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

pokeyman posted:

Much appreciated. I wanted to explain the root cause of the failure.

Somehow, I don't think that's the actual cause...

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Hmm well new beta just instantly crashes when I go to the bookmarks tab.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Serifina posted:

Samesies, you dun goofed

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?
New beta is truly something awful.

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?
I can choose and select forums, but bookmarks tab is instacrash.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Five stars does what it says on the tin.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sorry for the terrible beta experience. I was running development versions on devices, but I guess I got out of sync.

Next beta's processing then I'll push it out.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
New beta significantly better! I can actually open bookmarks.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Just got the latest update! Things aren't crashing anymore!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

New beta, I'm getting two copies of this thread in my bookmarks for some reason.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Diabolik900 posted:

New beta, I'm getting two copies of this thread in my bookmarks for some reason.

Only one on my end. Just FWIW.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, I mean, I'm sure it's not something specific to this thread, but there's something going on that can cause duplicates. Killing the app fixed it, but I'll see if it comes back.

A more consistent issue I'm noticing is that unread counts are failing to update more frequently than usual though.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Posting from the new beta. Canceling a post no longer leaves me with the grey box on the bottom half of the screen.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

A more consistent issue I'm noticing is that unread counts are failing to update more frequently than usual though.

Yeah same here on this one, if I sit on the bookmarks page for a bit it updates but it's definitely laggy.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Are you taking ppl for the beta still?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

theadder posted:

Are you taking ppl for the beta still?

Yep, PM me or post an email address and I'll make it so.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

New beta also fixes the disappearing bookmark bugs for me, thank goodness. :sotw:

radge
Jan 21, 2005

The latest beta seems to have issues when updating the unread posts count, particularly when going back from a thread to the bookmarks list.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Yep I've found changing tabs real quick fixes it. I flip over to the forums then back to bookmarks and it instantly updates.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I feel like I saw this mentioned before but I'll post as a reminder anyways: if someone has one of the custom Plat icons it's just overlaid on the normal Plat icon.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

For those of us on the Testflight Beta: How much bug data do you get from us without us filing manual bug reports? Is there a way for us to submit more?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

radge posted:

The latest beta seems to have issues when updating the unread posts count, particularly when going back from a thread to the bookmarks list.

Will take a look. For now, it goes away if you scroll the affected threads off the screen and then back on the screen. Or you can

Disappointing Pie posted:

Yep I've found changing tabs real quick fixes it. I flip over to the forums then back to bookmarks and it instantly updates.

Baram posted:

I feel like I saw this mentioned before but I'll post as a reminder anyways: if someone has one of the custom Plat icons it's just overlaid on the normal Plat icon.

Honestly I think that looks kinda cool, but it's probably not ideal. I'll get into it.

xilni posted:

For those of us on the Testflight Beta: How much bug data do you get from us without us filing manual bug reports? Is there a way for us to submit more?

I get crash reports, which don't include any user info or anything about what you were doing just before the crash. So if you've found a consistent way to trigger a crash, it's probably worth writing up in an email or posting here to help me fix it.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

The app seems to be much faster in the beta. I'm not sure if it's optimising or the reinstall process, but it's good.

I think some people talked about badges not updating as fast. I had this with private messages & the badge stayed for far too long. I saw it once or twice for unread posts

The other problem that I've had is that quoting takes a long time to load up the prior post. The UI appears but there's no quoted post in it for a long time. It seems to churn trying to find the data like the problem that I used to have with general browsing. The loading signifier rotates for really long periods of time. There's still a brief delay on LTE, but this problem is noticeably worse on WiFi.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I changed the beta to throw up the write-your-post screen immediately, whereas the current App Store version waits for the quoted post text to come in first. Other than that it shouldn't consistently take any more or less time than usual for the text to actually appear.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

For the first time got what I assume is the disappearing bookmark bug on the latest beta. Not positive. I know it shouldn't look like this:

I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. Just readin a thread then that. Scrolling behavior felt extremely odd. Force quit reset it fine.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I've had an intermittent issue (at least with the broken previous beta and this one) where my threads/bookmarks are off alignment vertically by about half the tap location, kind of like the post above me. If this happens where they wind up sitting below where they should, it prevents me from getting back the first "page" of threads in a forum view.

I'll snap a picture next time it happens.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Vegastar posted:

For the first time got what I assume is the disappearing bookmark bug on the latest beta. Not positive. I know it shouldn't look like this:

I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. Just readin a thread then that. Scrolling behavior felt extremely odd. Force quit reset it fine.

This is actually a separate issue that I've seen crop up a couple times. Though it does have a similar effect of making the list mostly useless.

Baram posted:

I've had an intermittent issue (at least with the broken previous beta and this one) where my threads/bookmarks are off alignment vertically by about half the tap location, kind of like the post above me. If this happens where they wind up sitting below where they should, it prevents me from getting back the first "page" of threads in a forum view.

I'll snap a picture next time it happens.

Does the list still work when that happens? Like can you still tap a thread to read its posts?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

pokeyman posted:

This is actually a separate issue that I've seen crop up a couple times. Though it does have a similar effect of making the list mostly useless.

Does the list still work when that happens? Like can you still tap a thread to read its posts?

Yeah, the only thing it locked me out of was threads past a first batch of them.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pokeyman posted:

I changed the beta to throw up the write-your-post screen immediately, whereas the current App Store version waits for the quoted post text to come in first. Other than that it shouldn't consistently take any more or less time than usual for the text to actually appear.

Ahhhh.

This might be some odd iOS wifi behaviour.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Never mind!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 15, 2015

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I went back like 6 pages and didn't see anyone say this, so non-beta bug:

Every time I view an image (by holding down on it), my app immediately crashes. Without fail, it always happens. I'm using the newest version of the app on my iPhone 6 with updated software, if that helps.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Every time I view an image (by holding down on it), my app immediately crashes. Without fail, it always happens. I'm using the newest version of the app on my iPhone 6 with updated software, if that helps.

That is bad! Let me get into it.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I'm still on the previous beta (30207?) and keep having an issue where returning to bookmarks or forum view from a thread causes this:

thread bookmarks turn white background and scrolling gets a little laggy / floaty. it's crashed a couple times so you may have some sort of logs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Baram posted:

I'm still on the previous beta (30207?) and keep having an issue where returning to bookmarks or forum view from a thread causes this:

thread bookmarks turn white background and scrolling gets a little laggy / floaty. it's crashed a couple times so you may have some sort of logs.

That was basically the same thing I got a couple days ago. I realized the screenshot made it look off kilter, but it was just that.

• Locked thread