Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Akon's real name is Aliaune Damala Bouga Time Bongo Puru Nacka Lu Lu Lu Badara Akon Thiam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Today I learned that Manute Bol's son is called Bol Bol and while there's absolutely nothing wrong with that I think the reason Manute Bol died is god smiting him for not naming his son Basket.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alicia Keys' baby is named Genesis Ali. It's different, but I feel it pales in comparison to most things in this thread.

On a related note, Kevin Smith's teenage daughter is named Harley Quinn Smith. His wife picked it, apparently.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Alicia Keys' baby is named Genesis Ali. It's different, but I feel it pales in comparison to most things in this thread.

On a related note, Kevin Smith's teenage daughter is named Harley Quinn Smith. His wife picked it, apparently.

That's only bad if you're nerd and know who Harley Quinn is :shrug:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Celery Face posted:

Akon's real name is Aliaune Damala Bouga Time Bongo Puru Nacka Lu Lu Lu Badara Akon Thiam.

Picasso's full name is Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno Maria de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santisima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso.

It's awesome.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Celery Face posted:

According to the talk page and several Wolof speakers, this is almost certainly made up (supposedly "damala bouga time" means "I wanna gently caress you" and "Bongo Puru Nacka Lu Lu Lu" is, according to them, 100% gibberish), but people who aren't from Senegal and don't speak Wolof are insisting that maybe his parents actually named him that. Most likely his name is Alioune (or Aliaune) Badara Thiam.

Also he is apparently from Saint-Louis, Senegal, not St. Louis, Missouri. All in all, a really lovely Wikipedia article dragged down by spergy editors adhering to the letter of the rules rather than going "this man's parents almost certainly did not name him 'I wanna gently caress you'".

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 11:08 on Jan 8, 2015

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Got a Chanhnez in my evening class today, pronounced Shan - nez. She has an annoyed look on her face when people constantly stumble over her name.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Bobby Digital posted:

Picasso's full name is Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno Maria de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santisima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso.

It's awesome.

I wonder how often people in Spain forget parts of their name, or those of their immediate family?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

stubblyhead posted:

I wonder how often people in Spain forget parts of their name, or those of their immediate family?
It's probably the same as a lot of traditional Arabic names, where you're technically Abdullah Nassar bin Abdul Mohamed bin Omar al-Sulati, but you go by Nassar al-Sulati. Unless it was my cousin or something, I sure as hell wouldn't remember a person's 3+ generation lineage.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
The first time I went to Spain, the Spanish team members on our dig site took great delight in showing us their driver's licenses and laughing at our reactions to their full names. Also they drank red wine mixed with Coke, which is loving nasty.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How many names do people have in the US? In France it's usually three first names and a single family name. For example I have my usual name, a second name related to the date I was born, a third name which is the name of one of my great-grandfathers and my family name.

edit: of course there also are hyphenated first names like Jean-Pierre, Marie-Claire, etc... but they count as a single name.

Believe it or not but I knew someone who's first name was Jean-Donald, and another who was named Andy-Gilles.

Kurtofan has a new favorite as of 10:49 on Jan 10, 2015

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Kurtofan posted:

How many names do people have in the US? In France it's usually three first names and a single family name. For example I have my usual name, a second name related to the date I was born, a third name which is the name of one of my great-grandfathers and my family name.

edit: of course there also are hyphenated first names like Jean-Pierre, Marie-Claire, etc... but they count as a single name.

Believe it or not but I knew someone who's first name was Jean-Donald, and another who was named Andy-Gilles.

The United States being the United States, there are plenty of people who have brought their cultural naming conventions with them. Other than that, it's normally first-middle-last. It's not wildly unusual for someone to have two middle names, and a double first name is fairly common, but you generally expect someone's full name to be along the lines of "Robert Anthony Jones."

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

I would say that three names (first, middle, last) is the standard. I am unusual in that I have two middle names (both are terrible). My husband has a hyphenated last name, which is technically one name but occasionally treated as two.
But as the poster above me pointed out, people bring their own naming conventions and habits into the US.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

bringmyfishback posted:

My husband has a hyphenated last name

That must just blow Koreans' minds

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

ladron posted:

That must just blow Koreans' minds

Trying to get him a plane ticket is friggin' near-impossible. I can easily leave off a middle name, but getting rid of his full name is pretty hard.

Koreans can't say either of our last names, anyways.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

bringmyfishback posted:

Trying to get him a plane ticket is friggin' near-impossible. I can easily leave off a middle name, but getting rid of his full name is pretty hard.

Koreans can't say either of our last names, anyways.

My full name is 53 characters (First Middle Middle Middle Last Last-Last Last). I cannot buy plane tickets online; I have to telephone and explain the situation.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Istari posted:

My full name is 53 characters (First Middle Middle Middle Last Last-Last Last). I cannot buy plane tickets online; I have to telephone and explain the situation.

I would consider changing my name to something less insane.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Istari posted:

I wish that was really your actual name.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I would consider changing my name to something less insane.

I've thought about it, but the crap I'd have to go to to have my name changed everywhere (bank, university, electoral roll, driver's licence, insurance, etc.) seems like more work than occasionally having to take up more space than is provided on forms.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
My name goes goes "First Middle Middle Last-Last".

Problem is, my parents always told me my hyphenated last name was my last name. But it's not. In actual fact, my last name goes "First Middle Middle Middle Last" with no hyphen.

I discovered this when I tried to get a passport, and got a phone call that told me I didn't actually exist, and could I please find my birth certificate because they think they have found me, but needed to make sure I knew who I was.

So for years I've been known as "First M. Last-Last" on all sorts of documents, which have all been technically wrong. Since I found out, I've been gradually just correcting it whenever I've had to renew my details. Weird thing is, there is also a bunch of stuff where I'm listen as "First (first)Last".

So say my name is Allen Jack Cameron Fletcher Timberland.
My parents always told me it was Allen Jack Cameron Fletcher-Timberland. Because apparently it was important my mothers maiden name be in there for all to see?
So now I'm known as:
Allen Jack Cameron Fletcher-Timberland
Allen J Timberland
Allen J Fletcher
Allen J Cameron Fletcher Timberland
Allen F Timberland

Across everything. Bank statements, drivers license, passport, rentals, all of it, it's pretty hosed up. On the plus side, I guess I have some pre-made aliases if I've gotta disappear. :ninja:

Oh, and my wife has not taken my last name. Two reasons. 1: Who gives a gently caress about the extra paperwork. 2: Her first name and my dads first name are the same.

princecoo has a new favorite as of 07:31 on Jan 11, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sweeperbravo posted:

I wish that was really your actual name.

Phineus
Jul 21, 2008

Good to the last drop.
Hmmm a short list of bad/weird names I've come across in life:

Tony Baby
Netta Fish
Alpachino Cruz (this was a kid at the elementary school my mom worked at)
Bryndalynn

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
My husband and my daughter both have two middle names, it's not really that unusual. :shrug: One of the little one's middle names (also my middle name) is pretty unusual though, because my mother made it up to placate my dad when he wanted to name me after my grandmothers. Originally I was going to be Ava Margarette, but Mama stuck them together and came up with Marava. So now my daughter and I have a pretty unique middle name. She'll probably hate it until her mid-20s when she realizes it's kinda cool to have an unusual middle name (both of us have very ordinary first names).

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

TheKennedys posted:

My husband and my daughter both have two middle names, it's not really that unusual. :shrug: One of the little one's middle names (also my middle name) is pretty unusual though, because my mother made it up to placate my dad when he wanted to name me after my grandmothers. Originally I was going to be Ava Margarette, but Mama stuck them together and came up with Marava. So now my daughter and I have a pretty unique middle name. She'll probably hate it until her mid-20s when she realizes it's kinda cool to have an unusual middle name (both of us have very ordinary first names).

In 20 years having a 'common' middle name like John or Anne will be incredibly rare. Everyone with middle names like Draylynn and Manhattan will roll their eyes at the pretentious new kid, Mary Anne Johnson.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

princecoo posted:

My name goes goes "First Middle Middle Last-Last".

Problem is, my parents always told me my hyphenated last name was my last name. But it's not. In actual fact, my last name goes "First Middle Middle Middle Last" with no hyphen.

I discovered this when I tried to get a passport, and got a phone call that told me I didn't actually exist, and could I please find my birth certificate because they think they have found me, but needed to make sure I knew who I was.

Across everything. Bank statements, drivers license, passport, rentals, all of it, it's pretty hosed up. On the plus side, I guess I have some pre-made aliases if I've gotta disappear. :ninja:

My mother is a French citizen; my father is Australian. My brother was born in France at a time when my mother was legally living in France, and my father was legally living in Australia.
So my brother's birth was registered in France and at the Australian embassy, so he has birth certificates from both countries.
But something happened when the paperwork was being filed, so he has a middle name on one set of paperwork, and no middle name on the other.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Rough Lobster posted:

In 20 years having a 'common' middle name like John or Anne will be incredibly rare. Everyone with middle names like Draylynn and Manhattan will roll their eyes at the pretentious new kid, Mary Anne Johnson.

I'm perfectly fine with both my kids getting mocked for having normal names, if the alternative is naming them Jaymess and Ahnnah or whatever. :colbert:

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
I think naming little girls Peyton is bad enough, but in a news article I saw Peytyn.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Caught the front end of a Discovery Channel show about multiple births and the names of quints were flashed on the screen: Ryder, Rustin, Kassidy, Kyndell and Kaydence.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010

1-800-DOG-LAW posted:

I think naming little girls Peyton is bad enough, but in a news article I saw Peytyn.

Ugh... around here there's at least 5 of those, but Paityn seems to be the (mis)spelling that caught on.

Also, just saw that someone I knew in school just had twins, a boy and a girl, Kamren and Karmen. That's going to be confusing.

A girl my brother used to date just had a girl named Karsyn.
Pretty sure he dodged a bullet there.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rough Lobster posted:

Well middle names kinda vary by region and culture. A lot of mixed race American families, for example, like to do middle names with non-English words/names from their kids' heritage. Not that there's a very large sample size of them :v:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Caught the front end of a Discovery Channel show about multiple births and the names of quints were flashed on the screen: Ryder, Rustin, Kassidy, Kyndell and Kaydence.

I wonder why they didn't make him "Rustyn." Poor kid's gonna grow up wondering why his parents gave everyone else a Y but him...

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
On the current season of Masterchef Junior one of the kids is named Kyler

Pretty sure they just couldn't choose between Kyle and Tyler there.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I think he'll be all right,

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Firstname Lastname always gets his!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

On the current season of Masterchef Junior one of the kids is named Kyler

Pretty sure they just couldn't choose between Kyle and Tyler there.

I'm partial to the girl named Ryan Kate

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I got so used to the name, I forgot to mention it at the time, but during this last election I ran for local office and my opponent's honest-to-god name was Harley Rider. He owns a Honda.

He whupped my rear end in the election too, 62-38. :(

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Just met a Zaylor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bronson
Sep 16, 2010
Looking at some school rosters for work and I came across a Korea, a LaQueen, several Mavericks, a Christ, and one Claudnardson.