Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Gibbo posted:

Whenever you select a battery it always says "efficiency: 50%". Is there any way to improve this, or is that there just to itch my sperg craw? I've tried cooling the batteries and doing parallel power setups but got nothing.
Nah, it's a static value that's just there for info. Presumably in the future there might be different kinds of batteries or some ways to improve efficiency, but for the moment you can ignore it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

SirViver posted:

Nah, it's a static value that's just there for info. Presumably in the future there might be different kinds of batteries or some ways to improve efficiency, but for the moment you can ignore it.

But it itches....:okpos:

Also, am I the only one that sees a problem with the "Sold a prisoner into slavery" modifier as compared to "Harvested Organs" and "Executed"?

All of them stack 5 times, have the same scaling, but execute and harvest are -5 and Slavery is -8.

I fail to see how people who are living on the galactic rim would continue to feel MASSIVELY SORROWFUL about selling someone that recently tried to kill them in to slavery in order to buy medicine/mats/replacement body parts.

I changed my sold into slavery to be the same -5 and turned the stacking down to 4 instead of 5, just so if you sell 5 guys at once you don't suddenly have your whole colony break.

Does this make me the psychopath, or is Tynan too much of a bleeding heart humanitarian?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I agree, but I think it would make more sense that it would only give a negative modifier when either a character has a certain trait (benevolent or humanitarian or something) or when the prisoner sold is either a member of a friendly tribe or had once been part of the crew. That way you can sell people that attacked you without penalty, serves them right, but you can't just sell off people that your crew members were friendly with.

It makes for a more neutral stance on slavery, but gently caress it, you're desperately trying to survive on a hostile world, so like you said, selling someone who had tried to kill you only days before so you can buy the medicine you need to save your friend's life shouldn't make you feel bad.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I'm new to Rimworld and I'm sad that I missed the organ harvesting golden age. The stories earlier in the thread are fantastic.

I think selling/harvesting should give penalties, not as harsh as they currently are though, and have a 'bleeding heart' personality that takes a bigger penalty but gets bonuses to social actions/recruitment (empathy!)

I would make a point of sticking the bleeding hearts in wooden prison cells, then molotoving the thing. :colbert:

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Tommofork posted:

I'm new to Rimworld and I'm sad that I missed the organ harvesting golden age. The stories earlier in the thread are fantastic.

Turns out you can harvest your own colonists with no penalties whatsoever. So you can just sweet talk your prisoners into joining and they'll happily walk right on the chopping block.

Capilarean fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 7, 2015

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Tommofork posted:

I think selling/harvesting should give penalties, not as harsh as they currently are though, and have a 'bleeding heart' personality that takes a bigger penalty but gets bonuses to social actions/recruitment (empathy!)

I would make a point of sticking the bleeding hearts in wooden prison cells, then molotoving the thing. :colbert:

<Tail> is outraged and is leaving the colony.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Is there a character trait that makes colonists not give a poo poo about slaving/organ harvesting/ dead bodies?

Should be if there isn't one.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

TheChad posted:

Is there a character trait that makes colonists not give a poo poo about slaving/organ harvesting/ dead bodies?

Should be if there isn't one.

There is definitely one for death, killing, and rotting bodies, not sure about slaving but it would make sense.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

Generation Internet posted:

There is definitely one for death, killing, and rotting bodies, not sure about slaving but it would make sense.

Thanks! Took a break from this but looking forward to jumping back in tonight.

Has the Minami tech tree mod been updated to support the latest version? If not is there a good alternate mod that adds a lot of content?

Or a giant goon mod pack that mashes a shitton of mods together. :D

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

^^^
psychopaths don't give a toss about anything. a colony of psychopathic cannibals would be insane...ly easy.

I barely know the game and already i'm thinking about making a lovely mod to be in a low tech setting where primitive tribes duke it out.

Capilarean posted:

Turns out you can harvest your own colonists with no penalties whatsoever. So you can just sweet talk your prisoners into joining and they'll happily walk right on the chopping block.

That's insane.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Also RIP first colony. I knew putting a forest of turrets in was a bad idea, but Randy wouldn't stop with mechanoid raids after I'd made friends with all the locals. I was hoping to bring down the centipedes with extra firepower and certainly didn't expect Turret Woods to explode viciously and without warning in the defenders' faces.

The moral of the story is never makes friends or angry robots will come to kill you.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Tommofork posted:

^^^
psychopaths don't give a toss about anything. a colony of psychopathic cannibals would be insane...ly easy.

I rolled 3 cannibals to RP a cannibal colony, but they weren't psychopaths so they felt bad about the actual killing/butchering, but there wasn't a penalty for eating human meat. They all got murdered by tribals who were upset over my choice of game to actively hunt. Also psychopath is one of the best traits imo, the 'downside' of not getting a social mood boost is pretty minor, but they do get pissed off about talking to abrasive people.

I'm fiddling with the debugger but I don't think I can change my colonists into cannibal psychos, unless I'm missing something really obvious.

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 8, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm thinking of getting into this game, since it looks like some of the best bits of the other dwarf fortress-like games I've played, minus the ultra-fine and gritty details and micromanaging that those games sometimes have. I also like the modding capabilities. Is there a list of awesome mods somewhere? Is the official wiki the place to go for game knowledge, or is there a better source? And exactly how easy is it to jump into the game brand new and get started?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm thinking of getting into this game, since it looks like some of the best bits of the other dwarf fortress-like games I've played, minus the ultra-fine and gritty details and micromanaging that those games sometimes have. I also like the modding capabilities. Is there a list of awesome mods somewhere? Is the official wiki the place to go for game knowledge, or is there a better source? And exactly how easy is it to jump into the game brand new and get started?

Official forums have a lot of mods that are completed and not half assed. I got into it right away, the interface is a *little* clunky at times but you get used to it, its nowhere near as labyrinthine as Dorf Fort.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Minarchist posted:

I rolled 3 cannibals to RP a cannibal colony, but they weren't psychopaths so they felt bad about the actual killing/butchering, but there wasn't a penalty for eating human meat. They all got murdered by tribals who were upset over my choice of game to actively hunt. Also psychopath is one of the best traits imo, the 'downside' of not getting a social mood boost is pretty minor, but they do get pissed off about talking to abrasive people.

I'm fiddling with the debugger but I don't think I can change my colonists into cannibal psychos, unless I'm missing something really obvious.

You can use the 'prepare carefully' mod which lets you choose the background, career, traits and appearance of your colonists, and pretty much anything else, including what you crash land with. It's really handy if you want to do things like RP with the backgrounds of your colonists, or run a cannibal psychopath colony.

Currently I'm running a colony that I started with a bunch of Urbworld people. Since I always like looking at pictures of people's colonies, here's mine right now.

Not pictured is the fortress I'm building into the mountain in the north. I'm pretty excited that climates are a thing now, I'm using the base-builder storyteller, which I find a lot more reasonable than the default one. Raids come every few months instead of once a week, but they're still the same size. I'm justifying it internally as nobody wanting to trek all the way out into the boonies when it's -40 outside and snowing, it lets me focus on fighting the elements instead of people. I was a bit panicked when the temperature started dipping below zero and my crops couldn't grow anymore, but I made sure to stockpile about ~50 meals so I could survive while I set up a greenhouse and found Muffalo to hunt.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Minarchist posted:

Official forums have a lot of mods that are completed and not half assed. I got into it right away, the interface is a *little* clunky at times but you get used to it, its nowhere near as labyrinthine as Dorf Fort.

I got the game, generated a world, and sent two late-twenties men and a 15 year old girl down to the dirt. Strangely, the 15 year old girl was more skilled in the various labor intensive duties than both of the men combined, but what can ya do?

My first order of business, as I kludged my way through the tool tips and interface, was to unforbid all the poo poo around the landing site, claim a couple nearby ruins for the colony, and send one of the guys to open up the 3 sleeper beds in the ruins while the other two hauled stuff to a stockpile and began planting food. Unfortunately, the unarmed sickly researcher guy I sent to open the beds got ambushed by 3 bandits with guns, who quickly finished off all 3 of them. Total colony lifespan: a minute thirty.

Time to pick a different site and try again. I feel like that's a rite of passage in most DF-likes. Much like how beating yourself to death with your shoes and stumbling out an airlock is the same for SS13.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

As far as I can tell those sleeper pods are basically suicide until the point they become goodie baskets for your colonies(when you don't really need it because you are strong enough to face down six angry goons). They go wrong WAY more than they go right.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Alaan posted:

As far as I can tell those sleeper pods are basically suicide until the point they become goodie baskets for your colonies(when you don't really need it because you are strong enough to face down six angry goons). They go wrong WAY more than they go right.

Yeah, lesson learned. I've got 1 building on this new site with 6 beds, and it's on the other side of the map from where I am working.

Is there a newbie guide to the game? I have no idea what stuff I should prioritize building, and I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have built a solar panel and nutrient paste dispenser before finishing all of the available workbenches.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah, lesson learned. I've got 1 building on this new site with 6 beds, and it's on the other side of the map from where I am working.

Is there a newbie guide to the game? I have no idea what stuff I should prioritize building, and I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have built a solar panel and nutrient paste dispenser before finishing all of the available workbenches.

It looks like there's a small wiki about the game, I haven't used it personally but it looks like it has all the basics covered. http://rimworldwiki.com/

Generally when you start out you'll want to go shelter -> food -> power -> security, in that order.

Preparing food so you don't eat it raw requires power, so the solar panel and paste dispenser are solid starting choices. Everything will fall apart pretty quickly if there's nothing to eat.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I've started completely ignoring the Paste Dispenser, since it and the Cook Stove both require power, I just build the stove and a windmill. Plus the simple meals don't carry a negative modifier like the paste does.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

immoral_ posted:

I've started completely ignoring the Paste Dispenser, since it and the Cook Stove both require power, I just build the stove and a windmill. Plus the simple meals don't carry a negative modifier like the paste does.

If you run human meat through the paste dispenser does anyone notice? Gotta get that Soylent Green :yum:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

neogeo0823 posted:

Here's a list of released mods for the latest alpha on the rimworld forums, maintained by a living saint.

I've only been playing for a week or so but here are the ones I consider required for quality of life improvements.

Space Meals - stops idiots from running across the map to scoff down that one pre-packed survival meal lying on the ground. Colonists will prefer all other meal types before these emergency rations which don't spoil. Huge QOL impovement.
Auto-hunt beacon - a small construction that will automatically mark nearby animals for hunting. Range up to 100 squares, even has the ability to manage hunting based on how much meat you have in your stockpiles and forecasted additions.
Battlestations - lets you press control + key to make a squad assigned to that key. also you can make squads remember positions and run to them. I haven't actually tried this much yet as it wouldn't work with my colony in progress.
Doorcontrol - lets you manage autodoors from afar, letting them stay open/closed, or close after a pawn walks through.
EdbInterface - makes a lot of changes to the UI, really helpful all around
Stonecutting tweak - lets you use the Do until you have X stockpiled on stone blocks.
Temperature control - adds new items, like small fans, small heaters, industrial sized coolers/heaters. I'm not sure if this works with the central heating mod.

Optional mods
More Hair & Optional Animu Hair - adds a lot of new hairstyles for pawns, and face-tats for marauding tribals.
Powerswitch - adds a power item which lets you stop powering a circuit. It has researchable in game options, like only turn on/off at a specific time of day, when enemies/friendlies are closeby.
Central heating - adds vents that allows heat/cold to spread between rooms. Also has an industrial heater so I'm not sure if it conflicts with temperature control, haven't tried it yet.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Minarchist posted:

You only need one psychopath to do the butchering! :eng101:

I wanted to do a colony like this in the future, so I did some savegame fuckery and it turns out it's really easy to add traits. I think I'll manually manage adding cannibal to colonists, or add cannibalism as a spectrum and manually move them along it as they acquire a taste for flesh. So far I had a colonist with six traits, but I've done zero long term testing on stability. I wouldn't add traits that conflict, like trigger happy/careful shooter to the same dude.

edit: there's a savegame editor which makes this unnecessary.

Howto:
Find your savegame folder in windows drive:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld\Saves\
Open it with an xml editor. Notepad+ is really good for editing.
Search for your colonists name. If you're a monster and can't remember their names, search for <playerController>.
Once you find them, scroll down to <alltraits>.

A singular trait looks like
code:
<li Class="Trait">
         <def>Nudist</def>
</li>
Traits that have a spectrum looks like
code:
<li Class="Trait">
	<def>Industriousness</def>
	<degree>2</degree>
</li>
Here's an ordinary colonist that loves to work but hates limb replacement.
code:
<allTraits>
	<li Class="Trait">
		<degree>2</degree>
	</li>
	<li Class="Trait">
		<def>Prosthophile</def>
	</li>
</allTraits>
To add a psychopath/cannibal literally tack them on before the final line, like
code:
<allTraits>
	<li Class="Trait">
		<degree>2</degree>
	</li>
	<li Class="Trait">
		<def>Prosthophile</def>
	</li>
	<li Class="Trait">
		<def>Bloodlust</def>
	</li>
	<li Class="Trait">
		<def>Cannibal</def> 
	</li>
</allTraits>
You can find a list of traits in XML files in (rimworld's folder)\Mods\Core\Defs\TraitDefs. When adding a trait, add it by the defname and not the label.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 8, 2015

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Tommofork posted:

Here's a list of released mods for the latest alpha on the rimworld forums, maintained by a living saint.
Central heating - adds vents that allows heat/cold to spread between rooms. Also has an industrial heater so I'm not sure if it conflicts with temperature control, haven't tried it yet.

Central heating is the poo poo, I can't imagine the teduim and power draw of having to put heaters in every single room. It's also making me plan out my mountain fort with built in ventilation passages behind rooms.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Generation Internet posted:

Central heating is the poo poo, I can't imagine the teduim and power draw of having to put heaters in every single room. It's also making me plan out my mountain fort with built in ventilation passages behind rooms.

Sold. Temperature control and Central heating seem to be fine together.

Also of course there's a savegame editor for trait fuckery if xmls are scary.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

There's also the Edb Prepare Carefully mod, which gives you full control over your start. Easier than savegame fuckery, I think, if you want to start with a colony of psychopath cannibals.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
EdB Interface UI should come standard with the game. The rest are various levels of optional, but EdB UI is such a huge quality of life change.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

immoral_ posted:

EdB Interface UI should come standard with the game. The rest are various levels of optional, but EdB UI is such a huge quality of life change.

EdB is pretty mandatory.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

EdB UI is great, but Prepare Carefully also owns.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Very good, I'll give pretty much all of those a shot.

Does anyone have a link to Temperature Control? I can't seem to find the link in its thread.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
You have to make an account on the forums, and then download it from an attachment in the post.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

immoral_ posted:

You have to make an account on the forums, and then download it from an attachment in the post.

Ugh, really? That's literally the only mod that does that. I hate signing up for sites just for 1 thing. Oh well...

EDIT: I went and got the file, but I ain't happy about it. :argh:

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 9, 2015

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Taeke posted:

There's also the Edb Prepare Carefully mod, which gives you full control over your start. Easier than savegame fuckery, I think, if you want to start with a colony of psychopath cannibals.

I've just started using Prepare Carefully, it's very useful for starting off. The savegame editing is more so you can edit new arrivals to be psychopathic cannibals. I would love to see colonists becoming desensitised over time to that sort of thing. Have a charismatic, psychopath cannibal leader brainwashing them and breaking down their ethics and morals. :getin:

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Tommofork posted:

I've just started using Prepare Carefully, it's very useful for starting off. The savegame editing is more so you can edit new arrivals to be psychopathic cannibals. I would love to see colonists becoming desensitised over time to that sort of thing. Have a charismatic, psychopath cannibal leader brainwashing them and breaking down their ethics and morals. :getin:

It's not actually the only one, but yes, it is too sporadic for it to really be a requirement.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I like how the negative mood for butchering a human corpse is the equivalent of eating off the floor. In fact colonists are more upset by sleeping in hot/cold rooms than butchering human bodies. They're monsters.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

"Well... Chopping up this guy and selling his organs and skin on the black market is pretty bad. Almost as much as eating off this poo poo-and-blood-covered floor. But god drat is it ever uncomfortable to sleep in a hot room. Glad I don't have to deal with that."

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I wish I could sell their skins.

Wait when you butcher a person do you get leather? :stonk:

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Tommofork posted:

I wish I could sell their skins.

Wait when you butcher a person do you get leather? :stonk:

Yep. And you can make a full human skin outfit.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

neogeo0823 posted:

"Well... Chopping up this guy and selling his organs and skin on the black market is pretty bad. Almost as much as eating off this poo poo-and-blood-covered floor. But god drat is it ever uncomfortable to sleep in a hot room. Glad I don't have to deal with that."

The hot room one almost makes sense, because when poo poo continually interrupts your sleep, it messes with your mood a lot more than just killing someone.

And heat rash is downright maddening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Minarchist posted:

Yep. And you can make a full human skin outfit.

This loving game. :allears:

Researcher David Moss narrowly avoided becoming steaks when the potato crop came through. It was still a close thing for David but luckily a bulk goods trader and a slave trader arrived at the same time. At least Mr Moss, as he starts his brand new career in professional slaving, will have fond memories of the time spent locked in a pitch black, freezing cold closet after being arrested by a bunch of hicks claiming they own this icy wasteland by virtue of falling out of a spaceship over it.

(I am bad and learned lessons like check the type of ground under snow to make sure it isn't ice, don't try to go early stone cutting to conserve steel, it's a hell of a time sink in terms of research, cutting into blocks and slow construction time, and steel is dirt cheap from traders.)