Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

F. Lobot posted:

Seems like a perfect fit for Wii U eShop, which a stretch goal.

I don't think you can make money off of two ideas you outright announced that you've stolen from somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Meme Run is on the eShop.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Well, so much for that argument.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
I'm sort of surprised everyone says rolls are too good, though it could be because I play Rosalina and her roll is short. Everyone I play against regularly punishes rolls hard.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Give me some bible verses to make my DK better. I learned his up B on the ground is the bees knees vs projectiles and many forms of travel. What else DK do?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Junkie Disease posted:

Give me some bible verses to make my DK better. I learned his up B on the ground is the bees knees vs projectiles and many forms of travel. What else DK do?

His tilts are quick and devastating, but his smash attacks aren't too wonderful, so only save them for when you're absolutely sure you can hit with him. He can also break shields really easily, so be very aggressive towards defensive players, especially with how a lot of your attacks can connect while being out of grab range. His up-throw can also be easily chained into a few combos at low percentages.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Junkie Disease posted:

One night a man had a dream. He dreamed
he was fighting against a Donkey Kong in Smash Bros

Across the sky flew various spaceships as they were on the Omega version of the new Star Fox stage
On the floor of the stage, he noticed two sets of footprints: one belonging
to him, and the other to DK

When enough time had passed
he looked back at the footprints.

He noticed that many times along floor
of the stage there was only one set of footprints.

He also noticed that it happened at the very
lowest and saddest times in this match.

This really bothered him and he
questioned DK about it:

"Donkey Kong, you said that once I decided to fight
you, you'd fight me me all the way to Sudden Death.
But I have noticed that during the most
troublesome times of this match,
there is only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why when
I needed a good round of Smash, you would leave me."

DK replied:

"My son, my precious child,
I love you and I would never leave you.
During your times of trial and suffering,
when you see only one set of footprints,
it was then that I carried you and jumped off the stage with you"

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Junkie Disease posted:

Honestly he's kinda crappy in this smash. Here are a couple of tricks though:

1. Donkey Kong gets more knockback and more damage with a 8 wind charge punch than a 11 wind charge punch. The only advantage of full wind is super armor. (This really pisses me off and is why I stopped playing him, it's like the slowest to charge attack in the game, and the hitbox sucks for it now too, and now you have to count your frigging winds to get good damage.)
2. Side-b breaks shields really quickly - same with down-b.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
down-b to punish rolls towards you is really satisfying, especially if they don't realize it'll break their shield super quick

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Any tips on how to deal with people who only roll and grab? :(

I just had a fight with a dude with several different characters, I think I quit somewhere around 0 - 12 to him. We both switched characters more or less every fight, but he always did the same thing. Roll, roll, roll, roll and grab whenever I was vulnerable. I tried trailing his rolls so I could attack him as he got out of it, but literally every time I would just hit his shield and he'd grab me. If I tried zoning he would just hang back and wait for me to approach again (and then continue rolling and grabbing.)

How are you even supposed to deal with that? :negative:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Your Computer posted:

I just had a fight with a dude with several different characters, I think I quit somewhere around 0 - 12 to him. We both switched characters more or less every fight, but he always did the same thing. Roll, roll, roll, roll and grab whenever I was vulnerable. I tried trailing his rolls so I could attack him as he got out of it, but literally every time I would just hit his shield and he'd grab me. If I tried zoning he would just hang back and wait for me to approach again (and then continue rolling and grabbing.)

One trick is, depending on the stage, you can bait him into the air by maintaining higher ground and punishing when he tries to approach as he's vulnerable while jumping. But if you're only playing on flat stages or Omega versions, then there's lot a lot you can do with rolling other than countering it by spamming projectiles and maintaining your distance in order to force him to try to approach.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Junkie Disease posted:

His Up+Air is a really good, really quick kill move, as is his Back+Air if you sweetspot it. Against people who like to dodge roll around you a lot, throw out a quick ground pound to catch them off-guard and send them into the air. DK has a lot of good options in the air and like 4 different meteor smashes, though he doesn't have really good recovery to try to be careful on your way back to the stage.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Your Computer posted:

I tried trailing his rolls so I could attack him as he got out of it, but literally every time I would just hit his shield and he'd grab me.
Grab him instead of hitting him, then. Shielding sounds like the biggest problem for you, and shield breaks grabs-if you always use normal attacks, never grabs, that's like playing rock paper scissors and always throwing rock.
And if he rolls towards you(across your character ending near you), that can often be punished with a well-timed down smash at the end of the roll, or forward smash in that direction if your character's down smash doesn't hit backwards fast enough. If you play as DK you can just use down-B to punish rolls, and it'll break shield very quickly, and with Marth/Lucina neutral-B is a good option for making shielding unsafe.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Whenever I face someone who just rolls all the time I just bring out Falcon and use Falcon Kick. Other solutions are to just wait the other guy out and wait for them to make the first move. Hate to say that you kinda have to devolve to shield, grab, roll in this game.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Petition Sakurai to make defensive options worse

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Your Computer posted:

Few options:

1. Fire projectiles at the roller guy. If they roll into you, use down smash. Keep forcing them to the edge of the stage until they run out of room. They'll have to stop rolling and do something else or they'll keep eating projectiles.
2. Some characters have great anti-roll moves (it's usually your down-b.) captain falcon/luigi/donkey kong and a lot of others have a move like this.

Also, if you're getting thrown too much, it means you're whiffing moves, or your moves are getting shielded. Chill!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the replies. I've tried grabbing back, but they always seem to get priority (or all the characters I'm using have terrible grab range). I don't play any character with projectiles that work in this situation either, and it's 1v1 For Glory so it's all omega stages. Definitely whiffing moves, though.

I still haven't found a character I want to main, partly because I'm picky and partly because I'm not that good at the game. Most of the characters I like are either too technical or too fast for me to ever get good at, like Pikachu, Captain Falcon and Villager, and others I just suck at, like Falco and Link. I do pretty good with Ganondorf and Dedede, but I get creamed whenever I fight a fast character. There are so many characters that have moves I really like, but they all have flaws I'm terrible at compensating for, like being slow, having terrible air game or lovely recovery.

It also feels kinda hard to actually get better, since 1v1 For Glory mostly ends up being incredibly one-sided and fighting against CPU's feel nothing like fighting other people.

Do people generally stick to one main or switch around characters depending on the opponent?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://www.nintendonuggets.com/?p=1427 This has to be a fake article, right?

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
How could you question the authenticity of "Nintendo Nugget"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TechnoSyndrome posted:

How could you question the authenticity of "Nintendo Nugget"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5jWStR3AHQ

Holy poo poo I think this guy's for real

E: lmao he 100%ed Sonic Boom, what the gently caress

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 8, 2015

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

His point about Zero Suit is very convincing. I think I might have to buy 100+ ZSS amiibos.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I mean it could be fake but even if it was there is undoubtedly at least one person out there pooling resources to exploit the Amiibo demand as much as possible. Probably a lot more than one.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

TenaciousJ posted:

I'm sort of surprised everyone says rolls are too good, though it could be because I play Rosalina and her roll is short. Everyone I play against regularly punishes rolls hard.

Rosalina's roll is her dash attack.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Your Computer posted:

Thanks for the replies. I've tried grabbing back, but they always seem to get priority (or all the characters I'm using have terrible grab range). I don't play any character with projectiles that work in this situation either, and it's 1v1 For Glory so it's all omega stages. Definitely whiffing moves, though.

I still haven't found a character I want to main, partly because I'm picky and partly because I'm not that good at the game. Most of the characters I like are either too technical or too fast for me to ever get good at, like Pikachu, Captain Falcon and Villager, and others I just suck at, like Falco and Link. I do pretty good with Ganondorf and Dedede, but I get creamed whenever I fight a fast character. There are so many characters that have moves I really like, but they all have flaws I'm terrible at compensating for, like being slow, having terrible air game or lovely recovery.

It also feels kinda hard to actually get better, since 1v1 For Glory mostly ends up being incredibly one-sided and fighting against CPU's feel nothing like fighting other people.

Do people generally stick to one main or switch around characters depending on the opponent?

As someone who plays Ganondorf a lot, I can give you a few tips on fighting quick characters. The trick with Dorf is reading your opponent and using his absolutely brutal punishers to rack up the damage. The best move he has in this one is the flame choke, his side b. Basically, any time you can predict a shield you can get an easy ~20% damage with his flame choke, down attack combo. This can then be followed up with an up air, though it's not a guaranteed hit. Note that this does not work on all characters but it works on all the fast ones I can think of. Other than Diddy, Dorf is the one character I can think of that has a ranged grab so people don't really know how to deal with it. The game in general trains you to only worry about your shield if someone is right up next to you. This is especially effective on fast, light characters since they only have to make one mistake at 80/90% and you can ko with this combo.

Other than that you're going to have to get good at blocking and dodging, especially when you're playing a projectile heavy character like Link. Luckily, Ganondorf is designed to take a lot of damage and dish it out even faster. Wait until your enemy isn't ready and then surprise them with a forward air or forward tilt. Hell, even his wizard kick can KO at pretty low percentages if you use it from the air.

Oh and spike offstage with his down air whenever possible. It's amazing.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

F. Lobot posted:

Seems like a perfect fit for Wii U eShop, which a stretch goal.

No it doesn't. It seems like a perfect fit for the anime trash can. If there is one.

For some reason it reminded me that I once made this for a thread here and I laughed at my own unfunny joke again so I'm posting it:

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Alternatively, Dorf can't even loving ledge hop in Smash 4 so your options both getting back onto stage and gimping people off stage are horrible. They also changed Ganoncide to kill Ganon first, so like, hope you like getting dair stage bounce kills.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

laplace posted:

Alternatively, Dorf can't even loving ledge hop in Smash 4 so your options both getting back onto stage and gimping people off stage are horrible. They also changed Ganoncide to kill Ganon first, so like, hope you like getting dair stage bounce kills.

That is wrong. Ganoncide still kills the opponent first. Bowsercide is the one that is nerfed.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

mabels big day posted:

That is wrong. Ganoncide still kills the opponent first. Bowsercide is the one that is nerfed.

It's really weird they nerfed Bowser's suicide move but all the others weren't touched. What made Bowser's so different?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Macaluso posted:

It's really weird they nerfed Bowser's suicide move but all the others weren't touched. What made Bowser's so different?

You had to be in a specific circumstance for Ganondorf to successfully pull off a suicide kill. With Bowser, you could end any match with you and your opponent at 0% and 1 stock for a good majority of the stage because you can influence where he lands.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe I just got a lovely pull or something because I rage quitted an ironman when I was going to win with ganoncide and the victory screen displayed my friend as the victor. I swore off Gannon in this game specifically because of that. Also because of his lovely movement in a game that already has movement problems.

laplace fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 8, 2015

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Played a number of games last night vs. friends. I think Robin has a pretty good matchup against Sheik? If not, who DOES have good matchups against Sheik?

How many characters is too many for a stable? I'm currently running 4 "mains" with Villager, Shulk, Robin, and Toon Link, but that feels like too many to practice. On the other hand, the roster for Smash is so huge and the mechanics are fairly simple to the point where I'm not sure this is too much of an issue.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

In my experience, Robin actually has a pretty bad matchup with Sheik because she can rush in and stop you from charging thunder tomes and get too close for Arcfire to be effective, shutting down some of Robin's best tools. Robin in general doesn't have a fun time with rushdown characters.

Run however many you like, I've got 4-6 myself (Robin, Bowser, Captain Falcon, Shulk, Marth/Lucina) and I might end up trying to learn more characters because I like the diverse cast of characters.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

OmegaGoo posted:

Played a number of games last night vs. friends. I think Robin has a pretty good matchup against Sheik? If not, who DOES have good matchups against Sheik?

How many characters is too many for a stable? I'm currently running 4 "mains" with Villager, Shulk, Robin, and Toon Link, but that feels like too many to practice. On the other hand, the roster for Smash is so huge and the mechanics are fairly simple to the point where I'm not sure this is too much of an issue.

How serious are you taking things? I "main" Bowser because I'm historically good with his style, but I also try to be pretty solid with ZSS, Wii Fit Trainer, Ganondorf, and Toon Link to add a bit of variety. When friends and I play, we almost always do random though to keep things funnier. If you're taking it more serious, I would suggest probably 4-5 so that you've got a pretty good counter character for everyone if you get last pick.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

OmegaGoo posted:

The more the merrier. I got Robin/Bowser Jr/Greninja/Link/Olimar/Ganondorf under my belt and I'm always happy to find another character that suits me.

In terms of Robin vs Sheik, Robin probably has the advantage because Sheik, while fast, sacrifices range for that speed, while Robin is the inverse--somewhat slow, but incredible range. If the Sheik you were fighting stayed in the air too much, that's probably why you won--Robin has incredible aerials. But otherwise, on the ground Robin shouldn't have much of an advantage depending on how aggressive the Sheik was.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 8, 2015

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

It depends on your skill level obviously. Lots of Melee/Brawl pros can play the whole cast relatively well. I play 3-4 characters in Melee and a few in Sm4sh. As long as you know what is good and bad with whatever character you play and you know their matchups its not really a problem.

Honestly maining multiples in Sm4sh isn't nearly as difficult as the other games in the series due to the lack of lots of character specific tech. Wavedashing and dashdancing aren't a thing to juggle so you don't need to worry about one character's timing making you unable to play a different character. So just main however many you want.

The Robin/Sheik matchup is extremely in Sheik's favor due to Robin's weight leaving him more comboable (especially with fair) and his overall poor movement leaving him weak to Sheik's aggression unless you get perfect reads all the time.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

laplace posted:

The Robin/Sheik matchup is extremely in Sheik's favor due to Robin's weight leaving him more comboable (especially with fair) and his overall poor movement leaving him weak to Sheik's aggression unless you get perfect reads all the time.

And that makes a lot of sense. Who does have a good matchup against Sheik?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Theta Zero posted:

You had to be in a specific circumstance for Ganondorf to successfully pull off a suicide kill. With Bowser, you could end any match with you and your opponent at 0% and 1 stock for a good majority of the stage because you can influence where he lands.

Try to go into a match with a friend and suicide kill him at 0%. It's virtually impossible.

laplace posted:

It's true that he doesn't have a ton of offstage options but that just leads people to get comfortable offstage. I've killed people many times with an offstage forward air or neutral air because they just don't expect you to chase.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

OmegaGoo posted:

And that makes a lot of sense. Who does have a good matchup against Sheik?

A lot of it can come down to player skill, I trash 60% of the Sheiks I play on For Glory with Robin because I manage to predict them well enough to Arcfire->Levin Sword them and swing the momentum in my favor.

According to EventHubs (I dunno how reliable this really is), Sheik doesn't have any bad matchups and the only one where it's kinda even is against Lucario. Take that with a grain of salt, I guess.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

PantsBandit posted:

Try to go into a match with a friend and suicide kill him at 0%. It's virtually impossible.

I do, and he complains a lot. Then again he's probably just dumb. But either way they nerfed it because you could influence where you'd go for an easy suicide kill, much more easily than other characters.

As for fighting offstage, while he doesn't have too much flexibility, what he has is simply godlike. Especially that semispike you can do with your up-air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
How exactly do you do well as Lucina? I understand that she's supposed to be a spacing, control-type character, but I don't really understand what tools she has to support that. It seems like her aerial moves are important to playing her well, but it feels like if I use an air attack then I just get shielded and immediately grabbed. It also seems like it's difficult to land killing moves with her. I just want to get good at being a glamorous anime sword girl.

• Locked thread