Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ojojojo is back, with the expected resolution to all that drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Nate RFB posted:

Ojojojo is back, with the expected resolution to all that drama.

Expected and yet heartwarming all the same. :allears:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The extra chapter is similarly 100% as expected and also great.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 2, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Double post but gently caress it.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kimi-Ni-Todoke/Ch-094-Read-Online?id=217303
Oh hey, a new chapter of Kimi ni Todoke came out. Still don't care, looks like this stupid plot line will be ending soon though, maybe, I hope.

On the other hand the new chapter of Don't Become An Otaku Shinozaki-san is hilarious. (Not actually sure if it belongs in this thread since it's apparently seinen and not particularly romance-y but I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned here before, so ).

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh man why did I wait this long to start reading Bokura no Kiseki? I blew through five volumes tonight and would have kept going but it's already going to be hard waking up for work. Having so many characters at first was confusing but I've been impressed with how well it reinforces who everyone is -- not just with the cheat sheets, but within the narrative and how they all interact. I wasn't expecting to get so absorbed in this one because I kept passing by it thinking it would just be gimmicky but it really surprised me.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Everything Burrito posted:

Oh man why did I wait this long to start reading Bokura no Kiseki? I blew through five volumes tonight and would have kept going but it's already going to be hard waking up for work. Having so many characters at first was confusing but I've been impressed with how well it reinforces who everyone is -- not just with the cheat sheets, but within the narrative and how they all interact. I wasn't expecting to get so absorbed in this one because I kept passing by it thinking it would just be gimmicky but it really surprised me.

It feels like I need to reread the entire thing between each release because I forget what the hell is going on

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

jackofarcades posted:

It feels like I need to reread the entire thing between each release because I forget what the hell is going on

Yeah I think if I'd been waiting between each chapter I would have no idea.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I don't really like the art style, but 7 Seeds has really grown on me. The cast of character is really interesting and it's pretty unique for a shoujo in terms of having a bunch of non-romance stuff going on (since unfortunately "nearly all shoujo/josei manga involves romance/relationships" is a bit of a truism in the same way as "nearly all shounen involves battles or harems" is).

coathat
May 21, 2007

She's one of the few mangaka that's actually good at writing long series.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Quick follow up of the next chapter of Kimi ni Todoke. Looks like things are tied up with this one, so hopefully the next issue will be someone else in the spotlight.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I remembered that Kuragehime exists and found 20 chapters waiting for me, score one for poor memory. (Also read Kuragehime, it's a thing that is good)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Baron Snow posted:

Quick follow up of the next chapter of Kimi ni Todoke. Looks like things are tied up with this one, so hopefully the next issue will be someone else in the spotlight.
I've been buying KnT volumes since they started coming out and buying some of these later volumes is going to feel like a sort of sunk cost fallacy. Just, please go back to Sawako for the ending?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Baron Snow posted:

At least that's over. Please end soon.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Holy poo poo, the whole arc about team Summer A's origins in 7 Seeds is loving intense. This is by far the darkest, most violent shoujo/josei comic I've ever read.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
7 seeds just owns in general. However, I just can't read the current arc as each chapter comes out. I have to wait and read it in batches or the slow pace drives me nuts.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think I'm just going to wait for Kimi ni Todoke to end and read what's left in one go. I enjoy it more when I can go through several chapters at once rather than glacially reading through one at a time, and since it has lingered way past the point when it should have wrapped up IMO it'll be easier to skim past anything that I don't really care about.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

quote:

Kuragehime 72
God drat it Tsukimi don't let that bad boy from Signapore get fresh with you, and GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME BIG BRO!

...I should probably just give up and start watching jdramas.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Rodyle posted:

God drat it Tsukimi don't let that bad boy from Signapore get fresh with you, and GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME BIG BRO!

...I should probably just give up and start watching jdramas.

If you haven't yet, read Higashimura's other ongoing manga, Kakukaku Shikajika.

I want to watch more jdramas, but I don't know where to find many of them. Hulu & Netflix's selection seems pretty low.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Gnossiennes posted:

If you haven't yet, read Higashimura's other ongoing manga, Kakukaku Shikajika.

I want to watch more jdramas, but I don't know where to find many of them. Hulu & Netflix's selection seems pretty low.

Crunchyroll and Dramafever I assume, though you'll get a mix of Kdrama and Jdramas. Course, there's a bunch of kdramas based off of japanese manga anyways so you could always broaden your horizons.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I *think* (but could be mistaken) that Dramafever's videos are also up on Hulu? So I don't know if you'll necessarily find a better selection there, though I haven't actually confirmed that to be the case.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
You could also check Viki. Sometimes they carry kdramas that Dramafever doesn't have, so their policy might extend to their jdramas as well.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Read some more 7 Seeds and jesus loving christ this survival shelter flashback thing with the ventriloquist is extremely depressing. They dealt with the whole killing off excess population issue in a really mature way; normally in fiction you'd have it portrayed as an objectively evil thing and have the protagonists rebel against it, but in this case Mark realizes that there really isn't any alternative and that the best thing he can do is to try and send the people away with smiles on their faces. The scenes where the baseball player is staying with the dying children were really moving.

7 Seeds vaguely reminds me of LOST for some reason, except with a much better plot. It seems like it would work really well adapted into a live action of some sort.

edit: I've been reading this for hours and hours today and it's easily one of the best manga I've ever read. I had trouble getting used to the art style and it took a while for the plot to really hit its stride (partly since there are so many characters), but 7 Seeds is seriously great. I can't think of many comics/books/shows/whatever that have done such a great job of introducing and developing such a large cast of characters.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 9, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dunno if anyone else is reading it but Shinrei Tantei Yakumo got an update today. As usual it isn't going anywhere very quickly but I kinda like Gotou being the damsel in distress this time.

This is definitely one that's better to read in chunks and I always think "oh I'll wait til there's more" yet still end up reading every chapter as soon as it pops up. It isn't even that great but supernatural detective mysteries are one of my favorite genres and there just isn't that much worth reading so I keep my standards pretty low. :shobon:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just started reading Golden Time and, like, am I supposed to feel sympathetic towards Kaga? Because she comes off as a deranged stalker and I was practically cheering at the part where Matsuo tells her to gently caress off because he has someone he actually likes.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Sakurazuka posted:

Just started reading Golden Time and, like, am I supposed to feel sympathetic towards Kaga? Because she comes off as a deranged stalker and I was practically cheering at the part where Matsuo tells her to gently caress off because he has someone he actually likes.

Nope that sounds about right

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sakurazuka posted:

If the anime followed it closely, then she'll eventually get sympathetic but comes off a super goddamn crazy at first.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Ytlaya posted:

Holy poo poo, the whole arc about team Summer A's origins in 7 Seeds is loving intense. This is by far the darkest, most violent shoujo/josei comic I've ever read.

Similarly when they meet team retard was one of the funniest moments in shoujo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How bad and unfinished is the ending of the Golden Time anime, on a scale of 1 - 10?

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

How bad and unfinished is the ending of the Golden Time anime, on a scale of 1 - 10?

Like, if 10 is the worst? Like a 7?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hmm, that sounds pretty bad.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

it wasnt unfinished. i dont know what you are asking. i liked golden time and it is worth a watch. some people freaked out because the ending was a bit rushed but it is all there.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

it wasnt unfinished. i dont know what you are asking. i liked golden time and it is worth a watch. some people freaked out because the ending was a bit rushed but it is all there.

I just assume all romance anime based on a LN/manga is unfinished until I found out otherwise. I can probably deal with a bit rushed as long as it's an actual ending.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I just assume all romance anime based on a LN/manga is unfinished until I found out otherwise. I can probably deal with a bit rushed as long as it's an actual ending.

Yeah, it's an actual ending, it just felt rushed and silly

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ore Monogatari!! 1-3 and What Did You Eat Yesterday? 1-6 are on their way to my door along with a big pile of Kamisama Kiss volumes. :toot: I like to use my credit card reward points responsibly.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

Sakurazuka posted:

Golden Time's ending is kind of a trainwreck. It semi-resolves the hanging plot threads but it does it in a ridiculous way that doesn't really fit with the rest of the series and ends up closing on a sour, confusing note. From reading people talking about the novels it sounds like the anime ending doesn't actually match up with the source material, either?

It's frustrating because if you stop watching the anime part way through the last episode, that acts as an internally consistent ending that is somewhat sad but not terrible. If you keep watching everything kind of goes insane.

It was probably impossible for Golden Time to end cleanly given the way Banri, Linda and Koko were written. In general Golden Time's cast are a bunch of monsters who do horrible things to each other because they're overly emotional young adults - kind of a breath of fresh air, really!

If you watch up to the last episode, my recommendation is to stop watching it around 8:38, when the doorbell rings. If you feel like that's not enough closure, you can watch the rest of the episode and go 'what the gently caress just happened???' It's my understanding that the novels leave off roughly on a note similar to where it is at that part of the episode.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i liked golden time but i didn't like the ghost banri plot device

toradora remains the better work

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

Cake Attack posted:

i liked golden time but i didn't like the ghost banri plot device

toradora remains the better work
Toradora certainly handles the love triangle (love polygon? love directed graph?) aspect better, even if I thought Golden Time's cast was more interesting and it explored cool themes. Ghost Banri is ridiculous but it felt fresh how both Banris are treated as separate individuals with wants and desires and feelings instead of him just being a dull amnesiac. Linda and Koko are both fairly complex characters as well so I felt like I saw things in Golden Time that I haven't seen in most other manga/anime romances.

At times the author flirted with some incredible complexity (the bit where Ghost Banri nearly kills the entire cast really had me excited to see the rest of the series) but never really followed through. It feels like it all got out of hand and the author couldn't figure out what to do, so we got the confusing anime ending and the (afaik) confusing but different novel ending. I'm not sure how the manga ends, it's probably different too?

The manic intensity and uncomfortable nature of the second Golden Time OP theme/animation had me hoping that it was telegraphing an ending where one or both of them end up in a sanitarium to get treatment for their issues and eventually live healthy lives, but alas that was not what we got.

Has anyone freaked out about Taiyou no Ie or A Method To Make The Gentle World in this thread recently?

I lose my poo poo every time Taiyou chapters come out at this point because all the plot threads are coming together and the relationships have gotten more complicated. It's so goddamn charming. The art is cute, the characters are empathetic, and the setup is unusual enough to not feel tired and repetitive to me. The slow-moving nature of it is kind of agonizing at times, but it's paced pretty carefully and each chapter seems to be worthwhile one way or another. I love the whole cast, and the lead couple's weird relationship is really entertaining to me.

Gentle World is interesting to me in that it is sort of a romance story but it spends most of its time dealing with interpersonal relationships, family drama, emotional issues, failures to cope, etc instead of just being a bunch of lovesick teens/adults. It's probably one of the most competent handlings of student/teacher romance I've seen in manga at this point. So far none of the story has gone how I expected, and I'm really excited to see how it resolves. Haruka, Aoi and Tohno are all complicated and empathetic and I like seeing how they bounce off each other and the rest of the cast.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Taiyou no Ie is well loved in this thread and is my current favorite romance manga out right now, that being said, this most recent arc felt incredibly anti-climactic with the way it just kind of resolved the "hey mom thanks but no thanks" story.

Still very interested in it but it feels like it's ending soon, which is probably good cause you don't want another Kimi ni Todoke.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm current in A Method To Make The Gentle World and it's not bad but I'm not sure if I'd call it good. I like that it seems that the main couple are not actually romantically involved at all, and rather he's just helping her find her place in the world, but it still kind of feels a bit fetishy? I mean it did have that one older teacher and student have that weird arc. I dunno.

Taiyou no Ie is super great, I love just about every thing about it with the exception of the previous arc which yeah didn't really go anywhere. It's kind of a weird series in that none of the romance stories are that great but the family drama is super compelling.

Whatever happened to Inari Kon Kon? That was getting up there with Taiyou no Ie but it's gotten so sporadic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Nate RFB posted:

Whatever happened to Inari Kon Kon? That was getting up there with Taiyou no Ie but it's gotten so sporadic.

The group translating it (just one guy?) appears to have dropped off the face pf the Earth. The actual manga has kept going and is apparently entering its final volume.