Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Now do the Sami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
They don't come up much. I think they're just seen as weird? Now, Swedish speaking Finns on the other hand don't get them started on that sorry lot of bastards.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Torrannor posted:

I don't know what's ironic about Europeans being protective of their culture. It's not unique (see a whole lot Americans who would love to deport all these foreigner Mexicans etc.).

drilldo squirt posted:

It's still wrong and xenophobic.

How exactly is this wrong? Are you saying that European cultures are worthless and thus not worth protecting? Or they do have some value but it shouldn't be protected? Do you have a problem with Culture as such?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor Malaver posted:

How exactly is this wrong? Are you saying that European cultures are worthless and thus not worth protecting? Or they do have some value but it shouldn't be protected? Do you have a problem with Culture as such?

Sure I do. Those damned Special Circumstances goons, coming over here, destabilising our governments...

Seriously, though, European culture is hardly in danger of being wiped out. It's a dominant hegemony integrating other cultures into itself. All immigration does is make it richer and more diverse and keep it from becoming stagnant.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Doctor Malaver posted:

Cultures that are actually in danger of disappearing, e.g. by being oppressed, stateless or tiny enough to be at risk of going extinct or becoming quaint regionalisms, need protecting. The majority cultures of large European nations are not in that situation and anyone who talks about "protecting" them actually means "keeping them homogenous and free from outside influence" which is dumb, counterproductive and xenophobic.

Dravinski
May 5, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

They don't come up much. I think they're just seen as weird? Now, Swedish speaking Finns on the other hand don't get them started on that sorry lot of bastards.

I've found that my Norwegian colleagues are quite vocally anti-Sami, for some reason. There's this weird combination of nationalism and anti-indigenous racism which kind of bugs me. From what I understand - and please correct me if I'm wrong - Sami children are exposed to a lot of prejudice.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Has there ever been a culture that has been wiped out because the nation that had that culture kept letting immigrants freely immigrate to their nation? You'd basically have to find a situation where a nation let so many people immigrate the immigrants actually became a majority but that has literally never happened and no European country is in danger of that.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

DrProsek posted:

Has there ever been a culture that has been wiped out because the nation that had that culture kept letting immigrants freely immigrate to their nation? You'd basically have to find a situation where a nation let so many people immigrate the immigrants actually became a majority but that has literally never happened and no European country is in danger of that.

Well as we all know the UAE is about to make Hindi an official language.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Badger of Basra posted:

Well as we all know the UAE is about to make Hindi an official language.

To quote a Bollywood movie, "we will show them who is the master and who is the slave :india:"

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

DrProsek posted:

Not quite the same thing, but Mexico while it still controlled Texas let in so many white settlers that they had a war and broke off from Mexico when it became apparent a bunch of Racist Slave owning assholes didn't gel too well with the rest of the country.

There's some other examples of the elites of some countries intentionally encouraging Immigration to 'Dilute' what was seen as undesirable elements in the country, later nineteenth century Brazil for example encouraged immigration because the white bigwigs were worried Black former slaves made up too large a proportion of the population.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 8, 2015

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Doctor Malaver posted:

European cultures created fascism, plunged the world into two world wars and are poised to make those same mistakes all over again. Maybe they're just incompatible with modern civil society.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Seriously, though, European culture is hardly in danger of being wiped out. It's a dominant hegemony integrating other cultures into itself. All immigration does is make it richer and more diverse and keep it from becoming stagnant.

DrProsek posted:

Just because something hasn't happened so far is not a proof that it won't happen. Nobody is worried about being wiped out, but it is quite conceivable that for instance the Swiss could become a minority in their own country without restricting immigration. You can also watch Macedonians slowly losing the majority in Macedonia to Albanians, although that's less an issue of immigration and more of a difference in fertility.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

European cultures created fascism, plunged the world into two world wars and are poised to make those same mistakes all over again. Maybe they're just incompatible with modern civil society.

Which would be I guess the American society? Shall we list stuff that makes USA incompatible with modern civil society? Or just file you under Trolls.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

DrProsek posted:

Incidentally, this is why colonialism is good. Just reframe it as large scale immigration and suddenly it's a desirable thing.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ekuNNN posted:

Wait, what are you talking about? I kind of skimmed all those earlier shitposts on this page.

it's Europeans being pissy about legitimate criticisms of far right and bigoted sentiment because America are supposed to be the racists, not them

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

icantfindaname posted:

it's Europeans being pissy about legitimate criticisms of far right and bigoted sentiment because America are supposed to be the racists, not them

slogsdon posted:

I love the irony of the Europeans being so protective of their culture. They're so afraid that what they've done to cultures around the world is going to happen to theirs.

There is no such thing as a monolithic European culture, nor do Europeans share equally in the guilt of colonial oppression.

e: there is not one iota of legitimate criticism in slogdons post. It's just dumb.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 8, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

There is no such thing as a monolithic European culture, nor do Europeans share equally in the guilt of colonial oppression.

e: there is not one iota of legitimate criticism in slogdons post. It's just dumb.

It's borrowing a meme from the Freep thread where people accuse the old white racists of "being scared of minorities because they think minorities think the same way they do (regarding racial oppression, etc)".

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo Le Pen has probably run out of champagne by now. Jesus Christ, Islamists and dead leftists? :eyepop:

Doctor Malaver posted:

What is the European culture exactly? Are we talking about democracy, free speech, wellfare, labor rights and a society that tries to even out inequality so that everyone has a chance?

That's not European culture, thats serious political action. It could happen anywhere in the world if popular will, political competence and military strength unites into one good package.

Everytime i see some dolt talk about "national culture" they always start by talking about bullfighting, traditional marriage, catholic morals and how Salazar was not so bad. Usually when i think about culture i think about the local cuisine, the classic architecture that built our cities and villages, the local folk traditions, the local music and dances and hospitality, but for some reason all culture lovers never talk about that.

icantfindaname posted:

Some time ago the police locked out one of the biggest commercial centers of Lisbon to all blacks in the city because two blacks got into a fight inside. It was amazing to see how many people used Ferguson and poo poo to say that Portugal wasn't that racist.

We literally cordoned off an area of the city to a skin color because of a scuffle and people still refused to see how it was racist.

We Europeans aren't racists because we don't see ourselves as racists. Since we don't consider ourselves racists our actions could never be racists, ergo, only americans are racists.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Well, the attack in France was what started this conversation, and France was up there with the worst colonizers. Would you be happier if I said "it's French people being pissy because Americans are supposed to be the racist imperialists, not them?"

Unless you're taking the angle that "there's not one iota of criticism to be made of France's imperialism and racism"

vvvvvvvvv
Fair enough

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 8, 2015

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

icantfindaname posted:

Well, the attack in France was what started this conversation, and France was up there with the worst colonizers. Would you be happier if I said "it's French people being pissy because Americans are supposed to be the racist imperialists, not them?"

Perfectly.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Mans posted:

What is the European culture exactly? Are we talking about democracy, free speech, wellfare, labor rights and a society that tries to even out inequality so that everyone has a chance?

It's hard to define, that's why I used the plural form (cultures). In any case you should direct that question to the goon who said that being protective of your culture is wrong and xenophobic. I'm sure that person can offer a great definition of European culture, being so confident about how it should be treated.

Mans posted:

That's not European culture, thats serious political action. It could happen anywhere in the world if popular will, political competence and military strength unites into one good package.

Well if something happens a lot in country X (and doesn't in countries Y and Z) then it becomes a part of its culture and doesn't become a part of culture in Y and Z. You're saying that anything can happen anywhere given the right circumstances (popular will, political competence and military strength) but that's not much of an argument. Given the right circumstances, Sharia law could be implemented in Latvia or Peru or I could become an astronaut. It's true but it's irrelevant.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Orange Devil posted:

Finns like to point out how they were actually a colony rather than a colonizing power and thus that they share no responsibility whatsoever for the loving up of the rest of the world by Europe and that's why it's okay for them to say Somalis should just gently caress off back to their own country or at the very least change completely for their behaviour must be why their country is poo poo and now they're in Finland so they better act Finnish or they will turn Finland to poo poo too. Oh and also it's not racism to point out how Roma really are dishonest and violent thieves because it's true.

That's what my Finnish friends tell me anyway. Also swastikas are still totally cool for them to use even though they literally fought on the same side as the Nazis.

Europe is so freaking racist, lmbo.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

DrProsek posted:

Australian Aborigines. Not just one courier, but thousands. All wiped out by the white man.

Whites - never turn your back on them or let them in your country, IMHO

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mans posted:

Some time ago the police locked out one of the biggest commercial centers of Lisbon to all blacks in the city because two blacks got into a fight inside. It was amazing to see how many people used Ferguson and poo poo to say that Portugal wasn't that racist.

We literally cordoned off an area of the city to a skin color because of a scuffle and people still refused to see how it was racist.

We Europeans aren't racists because we don't see ourselves as racists. Since we don't consider ourselves racists our actions could never be racists, ergo, only americans are racists.

That's doubly interesting when you consider, you know, Portuguese history. I mean, holy poo poo even the American South had nothing on the Brazilian plantation complex. It's amazing people can look at that colonial legacy and go "racism in Portugal?? Nope, we didn't have anything to do with that.But look at those fuckers over there!"

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Remember that lady cutting up the black person cake which was super racist looking? I do and wow.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

fspades posted:

That's doubly interesting when you consider, you know, Portuguese history. I mean, holy poo poo even the American South had nothing on the Brazilian plantation complex. It's amazing people can look at that colonial legacy and go "racism in Portugal?? Nope, we didn't have anything to do with that.But look at those fuckers over there!"

spoken like a typical Amerikkkan :smuggo:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Mans posted:

Some time ago the police locked out one of the biggest commercial centers of Lisbon to all blacks in the city because two blacks got into a fight inside.

Holy poo poo Mans we are largely on the same political side and we agree more often than we disagree but this is a crock of poo poo and you know it. What happened wasn't "a fight between two black guys", you can find two black (or white) guys fighting every day in Lisbon, what happened was a gathering of around 800 teens from slums neighboring the Vasco da Gama mall which then steamed the place. The police forbade more teens from continuing to enter the mall while they were trying to make arrests and disperse the crowd.

Jesus loving christ, any reason why you so thoroughly misrepresented what happened to the point where someone not familiar with the situation might think there are now "No Colored or Dogs Allowed" in one of Lisbon's malls? I was in Vasco da Gama just last month and believe it or not there were plenty of black people around doing their Christmas shopping.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 8, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

hrm yes police beatingdispersing and arresting a group of black youths, nothing racist here nope no sir, see i'm European so you can trust me on this one

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 8, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

hrm yes police beating and arresting a group of black youths, nothing racist here nope no sir, see i'm European so you can trust me on this one

Don't be disingenuous, this isn't an issue of race but of class. These kids didn't invade the mall and steal poo poo because they were black but because they are poor and live in lovely degraded slums and youth unemployment is around 50% to the general population and certainly much higher for teens living in these slums. Do you propose that police just let a group of 800 teens have free reign over a shopping mall and steal and break poo poo because most of them were black?

And again, closing off a space while you make arrests isn't the same as "blacks are now forbidden from entering the mall".

e: In order to save us all some time I am pro-immigration and think our country desperately needs much more immigrants to balance out our terrible birth rate.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 8, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Well yeah that's exactly how it works in America too. But nobody is going around claiming police in America aren't racist, because the issues of race and class are not separable, and the magic soil of the European continent doesn't change that. I mean this is literally the exact same thing as Ferguson, etc, only possibly on a smaller scale

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

Well yeah that's exactly how it works in America too. But nobody is going around claiming police in America aren't racist, because the issues of race and class are not separable, and the magic soil of the European continent doesn't change that. I mean this is literally the exact same thing as Ferguson, etc, only possibly on a smaller scale

No this isn't "literally the exact same thing as Ferguson" because no one was shot or beaten up, this was a public order issue and arrests were made. Should cops also do nothing if a football riot broke out and the fans were mostly black? Do you think if these had been 800 all white kids the cops wouldn't have bothered? Shops were being raided and people were being mugged for gently caress's sake.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

MeLKoR posted:

I, Racist.

Yeah, seems like.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

DrProsek posted:

#BarbarianInavsion476

Don't let your country fall to foreign hordes! Learn from the folly of Rome!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

drilldo squirt posted:

Yeah, seems like.

Dumbass

1st- the fact that that title isn't red should tip you off. you'd be surprised how good it is at filtering idiots such as yourself that rather than address what I actually said pick up on it
2nd- what gave me off as a racist? the fact I want more black immigrants?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

MeLKoR posted:

No this isn't "literally the exact same thing as Ferguson" because no one was shot or beaten up, this was a public order issue and arrests were made. Should cops also do nothing if a football riot broke out and the fans were mostly black? Do you think if these had been 800 all white kids the cops wouldn't have bothered? Shops were being raided and people were being mugged for gently caress's sake.

You're right, Ferguson MO was simply police following public orders and making arrests in the name of public order. If it were a crowd of white people breaking into shops and looting do you think the cops wouldn't have bothered?

Basically what you're saying is that racism doesn't exist in America. Is it just because some people died in Ferguson and not Lisbon that instantly America is Racist and Portugal is Not Racist?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
e:^^I don't see where he is saying these things you attribute to him at all. I don't know what happened in Lisbon, but to me it seems as if he is arguing that the police were "merely" stopping a group of teenagers from further robbing/looting a shopping mall. They would have done this regardless of the race of the perpetrators, just that in this case it was a group of extremely disadvantaged black teenagers.

He was contrasting this with Mans assertion that all black people were banned from Lisbon's inner city just because two black men got into a fight with each other.

Jack2142 posted:

#BarbarianInavsion476

Don't let your country fall to foreign hordes! Learn from the folly of Rome!

I wanted to post that! :saddowns:

Angles, Saxons and Jutes in England as well.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 8, 2015

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

MeLKoR posted:

Dumbass

1st- the fact that that title isn't red should tip you off. you'd be surprised how good it is at filtering idiots such as yourself that rather than address what I actually said pick up on it
2nd- what gave me off as a racist? the fact I want more black immigrants?

I think cops keeping people outside of a area based on their skin color racist and you don't friend.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

You're right, Ferguson MO was simply police following public orders and making arrests in the name of public order. If it were a crowd of white people breaking into shops and looting do you think the cops wouldn't have bothered?

Basically what you're saying is that racism doesn't exist in America. Is it just because some people died that instantly America is Racist and Portugal is Not Racist?

I made no comment what so ever over the events in Ferguson and if you read the Freep thread you'd know where I stand regarding that. Also the historical origins of present day race relations in my country have nothing in common with the reality in the US and neither the situation in Ferguson nor it's aftermath have anything in common with what happened in Lisbon except that both involved police and some black kids.

:siren: I ask again, if a bunch of kids storms a mall and starts looting shops and mugging shoppers what should the police do? :siren:
You are commenting on an event you know nothing about.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Not punish other people who look like them?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

drilldo squirt posted:

I think cops keeping people outside of a area based on their skin color racist and you don't friend.

Quote me on that.

Let me restate this once again, there are no "No Blacks Allowed" signs on that mall and plenty of black people continue to shop there. Closing off an area while you are trying to stop a riot is not the same as "forbidding blacks from entering the mall".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

drilldo squirt posted:

Not punish other people who look like them?

I think he was arguing that the police stopped everybody from going into the mall while the looting/robbing was going on, and that it was just for the time they needed to "disperse the crowd and make arrests".

• Locked thread