Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

"To arms, companions"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

homerlaw posted:

Minister of Justice Christiane Taubira

Are you seriously going to post that without the context? Or do you want me to post it for you?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

homerlaw posted:

To echo Broken Cog, is this not making fun of Rassemblement bleu Marine, Le Pen's Front National catch-all?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

homerlaw posted:

Oooh boy. :munch: I can't wait to see the context of this one argued about again!

the punch line isn't on who you think it is!

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

homerlaw posted:

Ah, but its... uh. Satire? They're being ironically racist.

I seriously can't think of a context in which its appropriate to draw a black woman as a literal ape.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
No but see they make fun of ALL people and religions! They were Equal-Opportunity Offenders.

It's just as fair and common-sense as the Flat Tax!

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Chantilly Say posted:

My understanding is that the thread has also admitted that we're sexually aroused by witches, or something to that effect.

reading politoons is suffering

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Some of these replies remind me of footage I saw of a Klan rally where one of the attendees was wearing R. Crumb's Ooga Booga on a shirt because he had no idea who the artist was.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

:master:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Is a satirically racist image, devoid of all context, simply a racist image?

A question for our time.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

alpha_destroy posted:

Oooh boy. :munch: I can't wait to see the context of this one argued about again!

the punch line isn't on who you think it is!

Can someone enlighten this? Cause yeah, I mean, it kinda looks really bad.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

A couple of people already did?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Brainbread posted:

I seriously can't think of a context in which its appropriate to draw a black woman as a literal ape.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Sony is Hawaii?

I'm not sure why exactly Darkow chose to draw this, but dammit if that isn't the most adorable D3A dive bomber I've ever seen. Of course, it didn't actually have a bomb bay, but still.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Brainbread posted:

It was made in response to an episode where a candidate for FN(The French far-right populist party) posted pictures comparing the minister of Justice, Christiane Taubira, one of the only black members of congress in France, to a monkey. That's the FN logo down in the corner. And the text says "Blue racist rally".

It's basically a "THIS IS WHAT FN ACTUALLY BELIEVES" picture.

Edit: The original person who posted the "not-racist" comparison was sued, the newspaper that published that drawing was not. Why do you think that is?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 8, 2015

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Brainbread posted:

Well, you've kind of just nailed it. Racist imagery is all about the context.

So how about this for context: the header there refers to a French far right party who, I believe, repeatedly compared her to a monkey, and then a child actually gave her a banana or bananas were thrown at her or some horrendous poo poo. So yes, the context is the far right comparing this woman to a monkey. If there was ever the correct context to draw a cartoon masquerading as a political poster by a political party
literally showing a black woman as a chimpanzee so as to highlight the insane racism present in political messaging, that was the correct context.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 8, 2015

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Small Frozen Thing posted:

reading politoons is suffering

This thread is the last place I expected to see that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Sony is Hawaii?

This doesn't make any sense! Pearl Harbor was Japan bombing the US. Sony is a Japanese company and the hackers were from North Korea (or not). :psyduck:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

This thread is the last place I expected to see that.
I think you'll find there are many parallels between noted anime Madoka Magika and the 2015 American political environment.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Like loving clockwork.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

And a hearty thanks to Mike Lester for the second half of the lesson on context. Amazing Mike. I feel like Michael Bluth opening the bag marked dead dove; I don't know what I expecting. I really should have known it'd be that though.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

JT Jag posted:

I think you'll find there are many parallels between noted anime Madoka Magika and the 2015 American political environment.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Basically.

As much as I hate limiting debates and/or discussions, can people please not do the whole "too soon to discuss [x]" because no one is ever going to come back in a few days later and say "okay, now you may discuss this issue" and also this is a current events thread.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Acropolis posted:

So... Are we going to get some actual Charlie Hebdo cartoons in this thread? Sounds like it's a French Kelly. We love that guy. I don't speak French, so I don't know what's good or have any context to add. So I don't feel right just dumping a wall of covers I found off GIS.

From what I've read, it's sort of an equal opportunity mockery platform. Kind of like Mad Magazine or National Lampoon or, I don't know, maybe Punch would be a better example? It sounds like it was a bigger deal thirty years ago. The staff were certainly brave (their office getting firebombed three years ago only made them get more provocative), but it's an open question whether they were idealists standing on principle or an aging institution desperately trying to stay relevant. Maybe both? I'm not sure it really matters. This op-ed provides some of the cultural context.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Do we still like skeletons, donkeys and labels?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
What's happened is terrible, but at least my news isn't that bad.

I can't find a good archive for Giles. But I think I'll be able to start scanning a mate's books (He's an old Irish bloke who's one helluva fan) in a few days. We still cool with that?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There's a pretty crucial difference between this situation and any post-mass shooting frenzy: While the NRA tries to prevent people from debating the means used by the killers to commit a violent crime, right now nobody seems interested in talking about how to prevent further terrorist attacks or about the attackers themselves, rather the focus is on whether the victims were bad people, while making half-hearted concessions that "what happened was bad". It seems that the fact twelve people were murdered is secondary to the fact that I don't agree with some cartoons. It's like making a breaking news story about the fact that some kids at Columbine had failing grades instead of about the shooting, its roots and implications.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 8, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shadeoses posted:

What I'm getting from the UK toons posted so far is that you could just replace "Obamacare" with "NHS" and call it good.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

steinrokkan posted:

There's a pretty crucial difference between this situation and any post-mass shooting frenzy: While the NRA tries to prevent people from debating the means used by the killers to commit a violent crime, right now nobody seems interested in talking about how to prevent further terrorist attacks or about the attackers themselves, rather the focus is on whether the victims were bad people, while making half-hearted concessions that "what happened was bad". It seems that the fact twelve people were murdered is secondary to the fact that I don't agree with some cartoons. It's like making a breaking news story about the fact that some kids at Columbine had failing grades instead of about the shooting, its roots and implications.

Last year when Kirschen and Ramirez were doing their lovely doodles and crosshatches blaming the victims for Israel's decision to murder two thousand Palestinians, the political cartoons thread spent more time talking about the political cartoons than the victims of Israeli aggression. I don't know why the political cartoons thread would focus on political cartoons like that.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 8, 2015

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Shadeoses posted:

Donkey's pants are not on the ground. 5/10.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
how moderate of him.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Muir's most flamboyant "I'm not racist, but..." So far.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

voltroon posted:

Donkey's pants are not on the ground. 5/10.

Budget cuts.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Shadeoses posted:

Budget cuts.

First they couldn't afford belts, now pants?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Neeksy posted:

No but see they make fun of ALL people and religions! They were Equal-Opportunity Offenders.

It's just as fair and common-sense as the Flat Tax!

This guys a freakin idiot

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

homerlaw posted:

It's been explained but the 'bleu raciste'=blue racist, is a play on the FN's slogan of Blue Marine, as in Marine Le Pen, their leader.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's been explained but the 'bleu raciste'=blue racist, is a play on the FN's slogan of Blue Marine, as in Marine Le Pen, their leader.

And the fact that they called Christiane Taubira a monkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Exclamation Marx posted:

This guys a freakin idiot

Context:

Houellebecq is considered one the great living French authors. He released a book, incidentally, yesterday called 'Soumission' or Submission, about France voting a pro-Islamist party to avoid the FN in 2022 or something. France then falls under Islamic law and people accept it since why not?

Anyway, the captions read: "The predictions of Houellebecq the mage: 'In 2015 I'll lose my teeth... and in 2022 I'll be celebrating Ramadan'. One of the titles on the top says "Houellebecq, his conversion." The writer used to be pretty atheist, anti-religion but with age as slowly come to see sense in having faith it seems. See then if you can't figure out what the staunchly anti-religious paper is lampooning.

Kurtofan posted:

And the fact that they called Christiane Taubira a monkey.

That's what had been explained but yeah.

• Locked thread