Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Is Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on Wii U worthwhile? The sale price seems pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So, the next game to be made available for pre-load will be Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, which can already be preloaded on JP Wii U. (The game's ~3.5GB, by the way.)

Speaking of, next week's JP Wii U VC games: Yie Ar Kung Fu (MSX), Ninja Spirit (TG16), Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (GBA), Cybernator (SNES).

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Mad Katter posted:

Is Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on Wii U worthwhile? The sale price seems pretty good.

Depends. Do you like exploring? Do you like giant monsters? Do you like killing giant monsters so you can craft weapons and armor out of their flesh so you can kill even bigger monsters? Would you maybe like doing all that with friends?

Do you like grinding? Because Monster Hunter is basically Grinding: The Game. That said, it's pretty charming and funny and there is a wide variety of environments to explore and a truly dizzying variety of monsters to fight.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Silver Falcon posted:

Depends. Do you like exploring? Do you like giant monsters? Do you like killing giant monsters so you can craft weapons and armor out of their flesh so you can kill even bigger monsters? Would you maybe like doing all that with friends?

Do you like grinding? Because Monster Hunter is basically Grinding: The Game. That said, it's pretty charming and funny and there is a wide variety of environments to explore and a truly dizzying variety of monsters to fight.

That all sounds like fun, but I don't have a lot of time for grindy games at the moment, and none of my friends are cool enough to own a WiiU. Having friends to play with would have sealed the deal though. Thanks for the advice!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

So, the next game to be made available for pre-load will be Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, which can already be preloaded on JP Wii U. (The game's ~3.5GB, by the way.)

Speaking of, next week's JP Wii U VC games: Yie Ar Kung Fu (MSX), Ninja Spirit (TG16), Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (GBA), Cybernator (SNES).
It's weird that Wii NA had TG16 but Wii U NA doesn't

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I honestly don't think that's a very good description of Monster Hunter. There's an easy 30 hours of single player content and you don't really need to explicitly grind things until way later on.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Even when you do have to grind to make a strong weapon or something it doesn't even really feel like grinding because you're killing giant monsters in fun 10-20 minute fights and not doing random encounters in a JRPG or whatever

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Quest For Glory II posted:

And Genesis/Megadrive, and third party games on NES/SNES that aren't Capcom or Konami. Granted those aren't entirely up to Nintendo but they should really be making a better effort to get a hold of that stuff because as it is the VC catalog is pretty poor.

Basically I just want to play Sky Kid and Bubble Bobble without booting into Wii mode.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fawf posted:

Basically I just want to play Sky Kid and Bubble Bobble without booting into Wii mode.

I just want them to get rid of Wii mode.

Like, do we really need to boot from system menu to system menu to game? You'd think they could rig it so the games would be recognized in the WiiU menu and booted directly from there.

And ditching the Wii Shop and bring everything on there over to the eShop would also be nice, but a shortcut to the Wii Shop in the WiiU menu would be enough for me.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Konami ate Hudson and Konami doesn't give a gently caress about any of us.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think the TG-16 iOS app stopped getting support too, it's a universal NA issue.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

That's not true, we still get Metal Gear and

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Some eShop news:

-Adventures of Lolo (NES) is this week's NA 3DS VC game

-There's some new footage and a hands-on writeup of The Next Penelope (Wii U), a top-down F-Zero-ish game from one of the old Arkedo devs: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/01/first_impressions_the_next_penelope_is_futuristic_retro_racing_at_its_best

-Wii U is getting a Touhou Smash clone, and they've confirmed GC pad support, among other things: http://www.nintendonuggets.com/?p=1359

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I'm interested in that Touhou smash clone, hopefully it won't be poo poo.

ProfZoom
Mar 22, 2005

This is our last dance!
Tempted to take advantage of that Shovel Knight deal. Is it good? Is it best on the 3DS or better on another platform?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It's very good and a must if you ever enjoyed NES games. I like it on Wii U best for it's Dark Souls-like messaging feature but it's pretty much the same on everything.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's very good and a must if you ever enjoyed NES games. I like it on Wii U best for it's Dark Souls-like messaging feature but it's pretty much the same on everything.
Pretty much every version has some minor exclusive feature.

Wii U: Dark Souls-esque message system
3DS: Weird Streetpass based multiplayer battles
PC: Nothin'! But you have Steam sales, so quit 'plaining
PS4/PS3/Vita: Exclusive boss fight

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Lolo is the new Yolo.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ProfZoom posted:

Tempted to take advantage of that Shovel Knight deal. Is it good? Is it best on the 3DS or better on another platform?

It's definitely good and you should get it! Platform doesn't matter; it's just up to preference.

Want to play it in threeee deeee on the go? Get it on 3DS.

Want to chill on your couch playing it at home? Get it on Wii U.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

The Kins posted:

Pretty much every version has some minor exclusive feature.

Wii U: Dark Souls-esque message system
3DS: Weird Streetpass based multiplayer battles
PC: Nothin'! But you have Steam sales, so quit 'plaining
PS4/PS3/Vita: Exclusive boss fight

I got the 3ds version and I regret it. All the others look much sharper, I don't care for the 3D and I have never gotten a single street pass for that game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ProfZoom posted:

I beat it last night after coming to it fairly late, I haven't bought too many 2014 releases but I think it's my favorite game to come out this year.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Just announced as coming to the eShop in both Japan and the US, the Great Satan of mobile gaming is getting a Nintendo-themed facelift...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWVA2o8edDw

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^It's not just digital, it's a full retail game, just like PAD Z.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

^^It's not just digital, it's a full retail game, just like PAD Z.
Yeah, I just saw that. Dang. Guess that's what happens when I make assumptions over mobile ports. :v:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of January 8):

quote:

WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Chariot - €14.99 / £13.49
    Underground - €19.99 / £15.99
    Crunchyroll (VOD app, includes free 14-day trial)
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Dig Dug (NES, US ver.) - €4.99 / £3.49
    Lode Runner (NES, US ver.) - €4.99 / £3.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Rock Zombie (Wii U) - €4.89 / £4.29 until January 15
    Fit Music for Wii U (Wii U) - €14.90 / £12.40 until January 30
    Luv Me Buddies Wonderland (Wii U) - €14.90 / £12.40 until January 30
    Paper Monsters Recut (Wii U eShop) - €3.29 / £2.79 until January 15
    Tested by Robots (Wii U eShop) - €5.00 / £4.50 until January 15
    Toki Tori (Wii U eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until January 21
    EDGE (Wii U eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until January 21
    Rush (Wii U eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until January 21
    Cubemen 2 (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until January 22
    Tetrobot & Co. (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £3.74 for owners of Kung Fu Rabbit, Puddle or Wooden Sen'SeY until January 22
    Kung Fu Rabbit. (Wii U eShop) - €2.49 / £2.24 for owners of Kung Fu Rabbit, Puddle or Wooden Sen'SeY until January 22
    Tetrobot & Co. (Wii U eShop) - €3.49 / £3.14 for owners of Kung Fu Rabbit, Puddle or Wooden Sen'SeY until January 22
    Tetrobot & Co. (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.00 for owners of Kung Fu Rabbit, Puddle or Wooden Sen'SeY until January 22
    Trine 2: Directors' Cut (Wii U eShop) - €8.49 / £6.99 until January 25

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    TMNT - €39.99 / £29.99
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Classic Card Games - €6.99 / £4.99
3DS MENU THEMES
    Game & Watch (Colourful) - €1.99 / £1.79
    Super Mario (Wooden World) - €1.99 / £1.79
    Zelda Skyward Sword: The Impending Battle - €1.99 / £1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    EDGE (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.89 until January 21
    Coaster Creator 3D (3DS eShop) - €5.00 / £4.00 until January 22
    Cubit the Hardcore Platformer Robot (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.80 until February 8

NA update (week of January 8):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Wipeout 3 - $?
WII U eSHOP GAMES
    Chariot - $14.99
    Maze - $2.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mega Man Battle Network 2 (GBA) - $7.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Art of Balance (Wii U eShop) - "$6.70 until January 14
    Nano Assault Neo (Wii U eShop) - $7.49 until January 14
    Paper Monsters Recut (Wii U eShop) - $3.99 until January 15
    Cubemen 2 (Wii U eShop) - $4.99 until January 22
    UnEpic (Wii U eShop) - $6.99 until January 29
    Darksiders 2 (Wii U) - $7.99 until January ?

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    TMNT - $29.99
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Painting Workshop - $4.99
    Best of Solitaire - $3.99
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Adventures of Lolo (NES) - $4.99
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    KORG DSN-12 (3DS eShop) - $19.00 until January 9
    KORG M01D (3DS eShop) - $19.00 until January 9
    Steel Empire (3DS eShop) - $17.00 until January 9
    Adventure Time: Secret of the Nameless Kingdom (3DS) - $19.99 until January 13
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (3DS eShop) - $14.99 until January 22
    Dress to Play: Cute Witches (3DS eShop) - $1.99 until February 1
    Dress to Play: Magic Bubble (3DS eShop) - $1.99 until February 1
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    1080 Snowboarding (Wii VC) - 250 Coins, available until January 19
    A Kappa's Trail (DSiWare) - 200 Coins, available until January 19
    Bird & Beans (DSiWare) - 150 Coins, available until January 19
    Kid Icarus: Of Myths & Monsters (3DS VC) - 150 Coins, available until January 19
    Kirby's Dreamland 3 (Wii U VC) - 200 Coins, available until January 19
    Metroid (Wii U VC) - 200 Coins, available until January 19
    Radar Mission (3DS eShop) - 150 Coins, available until January 19
    Super Mario Kart (Wii VC) - 250 Coins, available until January 19

there are definitely sales missing from the NA sales lists, mostly just shovelware, I'll have another look later. (Stuff not listed like Shovel Knight is probably still on sale at the moment, so if you missed the sale you might wanna check now, just to be sure.)

Battle Network 2 is the good one, right?

The Shantae 3DS sale is finally active, no idea what went wrong the other day.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 8, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Some background info on that Underground game: it apparently started development as a training tool for keyhole surgeons, and whole the default control scheme uses the sticks on the gamepad plus the touch screen, the final game still has a control scheme that requires two Wiimotes, two Nunchuks and a laprascopic scaffold. I can't find any footage of this game from after it became an actual game and not just a dexterity tester, so I can't gauge whether it's even any fun, but at least they're fuckin' trying.

Contrast that with the Maze game that's out in NA today, which as far as I can tell is Windows 95 Screensaver: Multiplayer Edition.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kaleidoscope posted:

I got the 3ds version and I regret it. All the others look much sharper, I don't care for the 3D and I have never gotten a single street pass for that game.

I liked it well enough, but I prefer it on Wii U because it looks great on a massive TV, and the killer soundtrack is made better by a proper sound system. The 3DS version just feels more retro.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

One of the best!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Holy poo poo actual good Battle Network games on eShop? :aaa:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

BN3 is widely considered the best in the series (though there are arguments for BN6), with the most extensive postgame and some very good areas. That said, it's basically a refined version of BN2. BN2 is good, but has some major level design issues when it comes to navigating the general Net. It brought in some vital improvement to the formula from the first game, and added a really fun mechanic that returned in 3. Soundtrack is as strong as ever, including what is probably my absolute favorite battle theme in the series.

BN2 also has a hilariously weird translation. Things that generally wouldn't be acceptable in an E-rated game - alcohol references, "minor" swears like "hell" and "drat," the phrase, "oh my God," seemingly sexual references, hella' ebonics - are all over the place in this game. Not to mention some of the pretty bizarre typos all throughout. It's kind of surreal.

Here's an example:

It's like the localization team didn't even care.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Heads up for you Battle Network dorks: apparently Capcom patched the VC version to include all the chips that could only be obtained via multiplayer/link cable stuff, making it possible to 100% the game on your own.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Heads up for you Battle Network dorks: apparently Capcom patched the VC version to include all the chips that could only be obtained via multiplayer/link cable stuff, making it possible to 100% the game on your own.

That's really surprising and really cool.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Capcom: See, we love Mega Man still. We care about the fans! Stop saying we don't.

But for real, that's really awesome of them, and something that needs to be in any VC release of games with additional content like that.

Oh man, imagine if they released the GBA version of SMB3 on WiiU VC with all the eReader content unlocked.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Ultigonio posted:

BN2 also has a hilariously weird translation. Things that generally wouldn't be acceptable in an E-rated game - alcohol references, "minor" swears like "hell" and "drat," the phrase, "oh my God," seemingly sexual references, hella' ebonics - are all over the place in this game.

Reminds me of Mega Man VII, which had Bass say "drat" in Shade Man's stage yet was still rated E-10 I think.

The funny part is, they censored it in the Mega Man Collection, but the Wii U VC version still has him swear.

quote:

Adventures of Lolo

You'd better have saved the receipt!

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Twelve by Pies posted:

Reminds me of Mega Man VII, which had Bass say "drat" in Shade Man's stage yet was still rated E-10 I think.

The funny part is, they censored it in the Mega Man Collection, but the Wii U VC version still has him swear.

Better yet, it was just E like BN2. E10+ didn't surface till 2005.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Twelve by Pies posted:

You'd better have saved the receipt!

Wasn't that the same game where Mega Man threatens to murder Wily at the end of the game?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SereneCrimson posted:

Oh man, imagine if they released the GBA version of SMB3 on WiiU VC with all the eReader content unlocked.

That would probably sell really well.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
As much as I love Battle Network 2, I still don't see the reason of selling games made for portable systems on a non-portable systems; it seems counter-intuitive, especially at the overwhelming price of $8/game. Even then, players will be missing out on probably the greatest aspect of those games altogether: multiplayer. I cannot tell you how much fun I had playing against my friends in Battle Network 3 when I was younger.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Probably because they got a working emulator for it on the Wii U more easily. It also gave them an out on that whole SNES Yoshi's Island thing by having the GBA version available instead.

I just pretend it's like playing a GBA game on the Gamecube's Game Boy Player, and the Wii U Gamepad is like a larger Game Boy Advance with backlighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Rirse posted:

Wasn't that the same game where Mega Man threatens to murder Wily at the end of the game?

Yep, at the end, Wily begs for mercy like he always does, and Mega Man charges up his buster and says "I gonna do what I should have done years ago!" (yes, that typo is in the original AND the anniversary collection, despite them changing Bass's "drat" to "darn" in the AC, they couldn't be bothered to fix that typo)

Wily reminds Mega Man that he's a robot and the first law of robotics states that a robot can never cause harm to a human being. In the Japanese version, Mega Man stops charging his buster and doesn't say anything. In the English version, Mega Man says "I am more than just a robot! Die Wily!" Either way, the place starts to crumble and a bunch of girders fall on top of Wily and trap him, and Treble teleports in and rescues Wily.

No idea why the English version added that line, though I remember there being rumors that originally Mega Man was going to be the first Maverick, and that's why Light created X and put him through decades of testing, to make sure that didn't happen again. I kind of doubt there's any evidence even if that was the case and is probably just a fan rumor, though who knows. Capcom has constantly changed their own storylines in the Mega Man universe before so it wouldn't surprise me. Zero's ending in X6 would have perfectly led into the Mega Man Zero games, but then he was back in X7 so that hosed that up. The ending of X5 said Zero had been gone for three years, but then the beginning of X6 changes it to three months. And then of course there's the fact that X4 and X5 had Dr. Light talking to X and Zero as if he was still alive, and X's ending in X5 straight up establishes that Dr. Light is still alive in some form, only for X8 to go back to the capsules being pre-recorded messages and Light being dead. And they never did get back to the strong hint that Wily was still alive from the ending of X6.

Yeah. The Mega Man X storyline is a train wreck.