Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

QnoisX posted:

Well that's good to know. My group really enjoys playing co-op games. Not sure if I could get them to play with the agendas since some of them seem to hate BSG, but the base game sounds good. Is the Alien deck optional or does that always happen if someone dies to a facehugger? I actually don't like playing Dominion with the group since 2 of them own it and have played it a bunch, so it basically comes down to them knowing which cards to pick and me just waiting for them to win so we can play a different game. My buddy that has all of the Legendary stuff lives over 2 hours away, so mixing it in wouldn't be an option much, so I suppose not having the desire to do so is a plus.

Btw, Coolstuff just got Legendary Encounters back in stock. Of course they did, they want me to spend money. Suburbia looks like a pretty good game too, is the expansion worth it to start out with or would that be something you'd want to add in later? I need $10+ to get free shipping. I wish the Space Alert expansion was an option, but I can't get them to play the base game. I guess they don't like losing. Plus one guy wants to rush through and fill up his actions before we even get all of the threats flipped. Instead of working with the group he seems to focus on one threat and try to handle it on his own. He's also the guy that always acts like a Cylon during BSG and basically makes it really hard to use Executive Orders. Last time I got them to play BSG was from winning the Coup game where the winner picked the next game. So first turn he brigged a player that hadn't even gone yet instead of losing 5 cards. She wasn't a Cylon and it took 2 rounds and much more than 5 cards to get her out and pissed her off. He also refused to help get her out, "because she's a Cylon". After not playing into several other crisis, he was executed by the player using Cally and of course he's human. Either way, humans lost to morale at least 2 jumps from victory when the President threw the game by playing something that dropped the morale from 1 to 0 because he wanted it to end. The President player then announced he would never play the game again and I can't blame him I guess. He was the only new player and had been playing as a pilot with no CACs the first two jumps. Oh well, sorry for the rant.

It is optional for a dying player to continue playing on the opposite side as an alien. It is an alternative to player elimination and I'm glad for it, but you can just not use it if you don't want.

I'd recommend getting Suburbia if you want Sim City the boardgame. You should grab the expansion too, it completes the game. I can't imagine playing without. Just play without it once, until you get the workings of the game. Afterwards, you can even introduce new people to the game with it, it's very light in complexity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

echoMateria posted:

It is optional for a dying player to continue playing on the opposite side as an alien. It is an alternative to player elimination and I'm glad for it, but you can just not use it if you don't want.

I'd recommend getting Suburbia if you want Sim City the boardgame. You should grab the expansion too, it completes the game. I can't imagine playing without. Just play without it once, until you get the workings of the game. Afterwards, you can even introduce new people to the game with it, it's very light in complexity.

The expansion (at least here in Australia) is so drat expensive though. Like 3/4 the price of the game!

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
The expansion is half the price of the game on Coolstuff, but still with both it's cheaper than alot of other games. If I get card sleeves for Legendary Encounters, that will end up costing like $85 and it's highly recommended by every review to get card sleeves. Suburbia and it's expansion would be around $60.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Hey, guys, remember when we all played that card game where we pretended we were edgy and cool and said stuff about farting and shoving things up our bums?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP0uDT7cQ50

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

QnoisX posted:

Has anyone tried the Suburbia app? Considering that it's only $4 compared to $40 for the board game, would it be a decent substitute to buy that instead and use pass and play? I have a 12" tablet and could possibly use screen mirroring to the tv. Not sure how that would work with secret goals. Already have the Galaxy Trucker app that I play solo at least. That's another hard game to get to the table. I swear I think I might just need a new group... ;)

My wife and I like the Suburbia app quite a bit. There's a lot you get out of just $4. The fact that we're doing the Family Share thing with apps makes it an even better bargain, but I'd gladly pay them $8 for 2 copies. I think having hidden goals will make it tough to do pass and play though. Also, I've never played the tabletop version of the game, but I imagine it would get pretty fiddly having to keep track of all the interactions that occur between tiles.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Toshimo posted:

Hey, guys, remember when we all played that card game where we pretended we were edgy and cool and said stuff about farting and shoving things up our bums?

And suddenly the games sales go up 5000%

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

Hey, guys, remember when we all couldn't just enjoy or at the very least ignore a silly video of distinguished British actresses playing a dirty card game and instead rushed off to post it in a forum thread to demonstrate how much we hate the card game?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

cbirdsong posted:

Hey, guys, remember when we all couldn't just enjoy or at the very least ignore a silly video of distinguished British actresses playing a dirty card game and instead rushed off to post it in a forum thread to demonstrate how much we hate the card game?

You're right, I can't believe he commented on a board game related video in the board game thread where said game is regularly discussed.

What was he thinking?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

how is side B overpowered in the late game, it's one stage. One. And while it's a very good stage, it's still only one stage.

It's strong precisely because it's a single stage. Wonder'ing cards is sometimes handy for denial - but especially as player counts go up, denial tends to be overrated. In particular, Wonder-denying science is overrated (just build Science yourself, even if you're not focusing on it - and this is easy with Mannekin since you'll need grays anyway). With many civs, it's quite often that I'm wonder'ing a card I would have liked to build, especially when I'm resource heavy and can build most cards. You feel this with, say, Gaza, where you have the resources to build lots of stuff, but often you can't proceed with your stages until late Age II (because you're bottlenecked on something). At that point, Wonder'ing cards is often competing with other good potential uses (and sometimes, particularly in III, with cards that are outright scoring more).

I mean, if you split Mannekin into two stages - one for 7 coins, one for 7 VP, would that somehow be better? Of course not; even though those would both be reasonably solid stages, having them together saves you a card at the time in the game when you need to be maximizing efficiency. I also think you're underrating the single military. Having a potential military play makes life harder for the guy on your left coming into the end of 2. No longer can he count on completely cutting off military, and if you can keep 1 shield ahead you'll often intimidate him out of a fight because he knows you're likely to Wonder whether you need the shield or not (you feel this "potential military" threat even stronger with Rhodes, but even having 1 shield on tap is definitely still significant). Similarly, 7 coins at the end of Age II is often huge; it means you can Leader flexibly while still being able to deal with potential coin attacks/resource-buying-needs at the beginning of III.

I don't think Mannekin B is overpowered. It forces you into a pretty narrow build (you need to go resource heavy, which if you miss you're really boned), but it's not at all underpowered. It's best if there isn't another civ that's going to go resource heavy near to your right, so you can maximize your big blues/guilds in III. I'd say it's kind of B+ tier.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 8, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Toshimo posted:

Die normie scum

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

S.J. posted:

I don't think there's a single horror game out there like that that is good, and that's sad.

Fearsome Floors seems to sort of fit the description but I have no idea if it's any good.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Toshimo posted:

So often, they seemed to be answering a previous or future question - for example bringing "David Bowie flying in on a tiger made of lightning" back in time would be a fine way to convince people you are a god.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

rchandra posted:

So often, they seemed to be answering a previous or future question - for example bringing "David Bowie flying in on a tiger made of lightning" back in time would be a fine way to convince people you are a god.

That is every game of Apples to Apples I've ever played.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

When my group used to play CaH we just played the top card of the deck half the time since we knew it would end up being better than anything we had in our hands.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah, I think I would agree that his art is amateurish and that's not deliberate, so I concede that. But, I think he references common cartoon caricature styled art rather than actual superhero comic art which makes it even worse! There are people out there that like this kind of stuff though (not me).

There is an occasionally neat looking card though:

This guy's face at least looks like a Kirby caricature. Draw everyone like that, minus the muscles. Even the women. Especially the women.

I wonder how much it would cost to hire an actual Kirby imitator like Tom Scioli to do the card art:
I would buy the poo poo out of Godlands Sentinels of the Multiverse.

It can't be that expensive given the comic industry; it's like $100-$400 per page of art for a 22 page book with most being on the low end of the spectrum. But I realize Sentinels probably started even more meagerly than the average indie comic and the artist probably their buddy or a designer or something.

Just to be clear, I am not asserting that the standard SOTM art style has anything to do with Kirby. I am saying there is a specific 15 card deck in the latest expansion that as far as I can tell is spot on Kirby. Since I can't find any images online, here are some lovely iPad camera pics of the art on three of those cards:

I don't think you can be incompetent and manage that. Assuming they're not directly plagiarized, I suppose. But I just know the style, I haven't actually read enough of those comics to have any idea.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

malkav11 posted:

Just to be clear, I am not asserting that the standard SOTM art style has anything to do with Kirby. I am saying there is a specific 15 card deck in the latest expansion that as far as I can tell is spot on Kirby. Since I can't find any images online, here are some lovely iPad camera pics of the art on three of those cards:

I don't think you can be incompetent and manage that. Assuming they're not directly plagiarized, I suppose. But I just know the style, I haven't actually read enough of those comics to have any idea.

Yeah those are much better. Why the hell didn't he draw everything this way? :doom:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hey thread, let me just say I thought board game reviews/tutorials were going to be poo poo when most of my search results ended up in Tom Vassel reviews (seriously what's the deal with that guy). Then I found out about SU&SD and Watch it Played and holy poo poo this is so much better and I'm learning so much about games.

Out of curiosity, what would be the best "gateway drug" games for friends & family whose gaming experience include Risk, Monopoly and Clue?

And while we are at it, my friends are huge GoT dorks - is the board game any good?

Azran fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 8, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Azran posted:

Out of curiosity, what would be the best "gateway drug" games for friends & family whose gaming experience include Risk, Monopoly and Clue?

I would recommend 7 Wonders for this. Easy to learn, difficult to master so it's good for new or serious players. Also being a card game is a plus since the lack of a big intimidating board helps put "the casuals" at ease, as does the short play time (which makes it easy to play multiple rounds!)

Azran posted:

And while we are at it, my friends are huge GoT dorks - is the board game any good?

Liking Game of Thrones is way, WAY secondary to liking cutthroat strategy games when it comes to the board game. If you just try to bring in any random GoT fans (gamers or otherwise) to it you'll end up with a disaster. The theme is not remotely enough to hold people if they aren't already predisposed to strategy games, and don't even think about bringing it to the table for a group that likes to "play nice". That said if you have right the right group I think it's a very enjoyable game, but don't listen to that dirty liar of a box: only play with 5-6 players. And if it's five players then look up a variant for handling the missing player because the printed rules for handling less than six players are insanely stupid.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

jmzero posted:

I mean, if you split Mannekin into two stages - one for 7 coins, one for 7 VP, would that somehow be better? Of course not

actually I don't know, it might be if those two stages were priced according to most other wonders. Mannekin Pis's single stage is expensive as all gently caress and it seems like it'd be easy enough for anyone sitting next to the guy to make it either prohibitively expensive (hoover up all the resources) or straight up impossible to build (wonder the resources). If those two stages were both separate and less of a ball-buster to make, it'd be way harder to disrupt Pis the way you currently can. It's less card efficient sure but realistically I often end up with a hand of cards per age where I'm thinking "this entire hand is bullshit, let's build wonder" while with Pis I either end up playing a card I don't have a lot of functional use for or just discarding for coins if I literally can't do anything with which is rarely a good move.

quote:

but especially as player counts go up, denial tends to be overrated.

Truth. And this is why I find it hard to make broad sweeping statements about a wonder's power because it depends heavily on the playercount. I will say this though denial is really quite important in the 3 player game where you can bring your opponents down without potentially just leaving the game open for someone else to take and along with being easily disruptable I'm led to speculate Pis B would get shat on in a three player game. It would probably fare much better at player counts 5-6 where card denial is less important and resource or good denial becomes harder due to the density of them. 4 player game I feel like Pis can be easily burned by someone either across the board either just being the only one with a given good, or somebody intentionally loving over Pis by wondering it because the good density is so low in a 4-player game. But again it all depends on what wonders are in play and a load of other stuff that makes it hard to really talk objectively about wonder strength because if you end up sat next to Alexandria and Ephesos and then your initial hand has got the Loom in it, you're looking good. If not, might be a pain.

quote:

I also think you're underrating the single military.

I dunno it's neat but I don't see it making a huge amount of difference most of the time. It certainly might do if the military game is that close, and that'd be cool but that kind of scenario where one shield is make or break doesn't come up terribly often. Like Pis in general it's circumstantial as gently caress. And at absolute, unrealistic best it's 10 points. More likely it's 5 points if it comes up at all. Which puts the total worth of the stage anywhere of 9, 14, or 19 VP depending on whether you can make use of that shield. 9 and 14 VP are really good for a single stage but 9 is pretty bad for a whole wonder, 14 and 19 are looking better but I don't think you'll make use of that shield often enough to make Pis pull its weight consistently.

I don't think Mannekin Pis is underpowered either, I think this game is fairly well-balanced and I'm not going to refuse to play Pis because I think it's weak or anything, just I was initially responding to somebody claiming it to be overpowered and in that scenario nah man I definitely think there are better wonders than either Pis A or B because both have fairly obvious weaknesses but Pis A is hard to quantify for obvious reasons. I ain't about to start making tier lists I just like conjecturing about this game.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 8, 2015

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Chomp8645 posted:

I would recommend 7 Wonders for this. Easy to learn, difficult to master so it's good for new or serious players. Also being a card game is a plus since the lack of a big intimidating board helps put "the casuals" at ease, as does the short play time (which makes it easy to play multiple rounds!)

I would actually recommend holding off on 7 Wonders in favour of Dominion or Carcassonne. 7 Wonders has a ton of symbols and a few different ways of scoring points which IME can make it intimidating for new players. It's a fine third game, but someone who's only played monopoly etc. in the past might find it all a bit overwhelming.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Narrator posted:

I would actually recommend holding off on 7 Wonders in favour of Dominion or Carcassonne. 7 Wonders has a ton of symbols and a few different ways of scoring points which IME can make it intimidating for new players. It's a fine third game, but someone who's only played monopoly etc. in the past might find it all a bit overwhelming.

I think that if someone finds 7 Wonders overwhelming then they can find literally any game in the universe overwhelming. Maybe on an individual level some people might find it more difficult than Dominion or whatever else, but on the whole I think it's about as entry level as a game can get. Hell my mom thought that Catan was "too complicated and confusing" and even she loves 7 Wonders and got the hang of it after a practice game.

If someone can't grasp 7 Wonders then they're probably just never going to grasp tabletop games ever.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

echoMateria posted:

If "running away helpless from horrors" is what you seek, there are games like Level 7 [Escape] that does it. But everyone hates that game. Maybe others can recommend an alternative?
No worries, I just thought it would be interesting for them to try something different with the mechanics, or at least the fluff in the cards. For example, instead of a constant stream of aliens that end up overflowing into a combat zone, you could be pushing back the same alien in the track (i.e. running away or avoiding it) instead of killing it. Or just retheme the cards so instead of individual aliens each one represents a movement/attack from the one and only Xenomorph, and the attack cards are the actions the crew does. They have done something similar with the HQ cards, but having Grunts killing Aliens in the Nostromo is JUST NOT RIGHT. :argh:

Second movie, as you said, is more of a turf war between aliens and marines, so the kill everything approach is OK.

This is a minor complaint, anyway, I've enjoyed Marvel Legendary the times I've played and probably end up getting Legendary Encounters.

Chomp8645 posted:

I think that if someone finds 7 Wonders overwhelming then they can find literally any game in the universe overwhelming. Maybe on an individual level some people might find it more difficult than Dominion or whatever else, but on the whole I think it's about as entry level as a game can get. Hell my mom thought that Catan was "too complicated and confusing" and even she loves 7 Wonders and got the hang of it after a practice game.

If someone can't grasp 7 Wonders then they're probably just never going to grasp tabletop games ever.
The point is giving new players absolutely no excuse to say "this looks complicated" (i.e. why can't we just watch TV/get drunk/play videogames/bingo instead). When you explain 7 different symbols, and say that future cards will need some of those in order to be played, you're giving them that excuse. Enough goodwill and they will soldier on and realise how easy it is, but with some people it can come crashing down just by watching the components. Hell, I've seen people refuse to play a game because the size of the box.

I think Carcassone give people less time to complain, which is important. The "play a tile down, place a worker" bit can be explained in seconds.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 8, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Double post.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
^^ beaten.

Chomp8645 posted:

I think it's more an issue of easing them in. When teaching dominion I can at least say "these cards are points, they cost $X. You win by having the most points". Teaching 7 Wonders is a bit bigger of a job: "you win by having the most points, which you get from Blues, science, military, money...". Obviously I'm probably overstating it and it depends on the group, but IMO Dominion or Carcassonne strike me as more suitable games for teaching to the completely uninitiated.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Chomp8645 posted:

There's a serious difference between "can't comprehend" and "unwilling to learn," even if the person in question doesn't necessarily realize it. My mom has a Master's in mathematics, but the deepest game I've had success with for her is Carcassonne because it seems cute and plays fast. She's tried other things but becomes quickly disinterested, and now it's really clear that it's because lots of games just look daunting or nerdy, but what that means changes drastically from person to person.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Azran posted:

Ticket to Ride is pretty widely held as a good gateway drug. It's got very simple mechanics (more straightforward than any of those) but a lot of depth.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

The Narrator posted:

Naaah man, I know I'm very obviously biased in my love for the game but if someone finds 7 Wonders too hard to play then they're probably not the sort with whom playing board games is worth it in the first place.

the symbology can be confusing but just give the new guy the cheat sheet to look at while he's playing and it's no problem at all, I still get mixed up on all that bullshit that Cities and Leaders threw in.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Alright, good recommendations so far. The people I play with looooove games where you compete against each other and try to be the most amazing dick. That aside, how's Ladies & Gentlemen/The Resistance? Those picked my interest.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Azran posted:

Alright, good recommendations so far. The people I play with looooove games where you compete against each other and try to be the most amazing dick. That aside, how's Ladies & Gentlemen/The Resistance? Those picked my interest.

I've only played The Resistance: Avalon (The Resistance 2.0?) and it's simple and loud fun. The first play was last week with a bunch of friends (11 in total, two paired up) on the final night of our holiday and we had an evening filled with shouting, pleading, arguments, laughing and total cruelty. It seems custom designed to make drum-roll moments where the whole table's fate comes down to the reveal of the last card, and the play time really allows for cartoonish reveals of your evil card at the end, or properly satisfying deduction where you just figure out one of your best mates must be evil. And then they notice and tell everyone you're the evil one and you have a delicious and unprovable argument that just causes more confusion.

It's cliched, but you really do play each other and not the game, especially with a couple of plays in a go where people's characters are drawn right out.

This is with a group who've played Mafia a lot, so we already had a lot of narratives going about people ("she's always evil!"), and everyone took to it pretty quickly when sober-ish (a drunken attempt failed miserably). People did miss the lynch and reveal aspect of Mafia, plus Mafia's total injustice and speed-lynching some poor sod, but swapping those for the bits of information you get over several rounds makes for actual deduction. Overall it's mechanically a much better game, and drat good fun.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 8, 2015

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Azran posted:

They are completely different games, but if I can make a recommendation, stay away from buying the resistance. Just buy a deck of cards and poker chips, proxy the game, and don't give IB&C money.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I never thought I would be so excited for a game about trains, but I played Ticket to Ride with 5 players yesterday (europe board) and it was a blast!

By the way, no other comments about Assault on Doomrock? My FLGS has one piece left and I seriously consider buying it today.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Okay so who came up with the idea for today's Front Page?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Naaah man, I know I'm very obviously biased in my love for the game but if someone finds 7 Wonders too hard to play then they're probably not the sort with whom playing board games is worth it in the first place.

the symbology can be confusing but just give the new guy the cheat sheet to look at while he's playing and it's no problem at all, I still get mixed up on all that bullshit that Cities and Leaders threw in.

I think 7 Wonders is fine for an inquisitive person who actively wants to play board games and therefore doesn't mind actively learning the rules and paying attention.

But for a game to lure people into better board games who may be resistant or looking for reasons not to (and its easy to say they aren't worth playing with but that doesn't stop the question), a more user-friendly game like Carcassonne or Ticket to Ride is better. I would also throw out King of Tokyo for those who want a bit more action theme-wise.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

7 Wonders is easy enough to learn for someone who's already comfortable with the basic ideas of modern tabletop games, but for complete newbies it's just a handful of cards, every single one of which has symbols on it that you have to ask what they do because to a newbie, the reference sheet may as well be written in Latin. It's doable, especially if you play the first some amount of hands open but there are plenty of other games that don't require this caveat, and are much easier to teach, like Carc, TTR, Dominion, etc.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
hey, look what i found

Broken Loose posted:

Okay, so, the good news. Board gaming is possibly the most scalable Trad Games hobby. I mean it. You can just walk down to a store and play games with other people for free. Or you can loving blow thousands of dollars on a huge collection. Board games are meant to be teachable and playable within a single session, although some of the richer games can get years of repeat plays.

There are a shitload of games of all types, costs, and sizes. There is an abundance of choice (as described in the OP) and it's easy to get lost. Which is why I have a Starting Trio recommendation. Which I will save for after this terminology primer.

Sometimes people talk about Euro games or American/Ameritrash games. Those terms aren't so important as it is to understand the richness of a game and the style of a game. "Euro" games historically tend to be very rich, but also very dry. "American" games historically tend to be very stylish, but also very hollow. Most modern games bridge the gap, and games are more often than not judged on their own merits in modern times. Even when a game is described with one of these terms, it's a shade of grey, for example: Ugg-Tect is VERY stylish while Munchkin is lightly stylish, contrasted with Go being VERY dry while Chess is lightly dry.

So, the 3 "core" games for understanding Modern Boardgaming are, in alphabetical order, Battlestar Galactica, Carcassonne, and Dominion.

(Michael Hogan's autograph optional)

Battlestar Galactica
is a very stylish + long + team-based + bluffing + deduction + social game.

It runs a couple hours. The players operate in 2 teams, with 1 team masquerading as members of the other. The protagonist team attempts to reach an ingame milestone. The antagonist team attempts to fully deplete any of 5 shared resources before that milestone is reached.

This game gives you a taste of many other games that share aspects with it. Another thread favorite, Space Alert, is related to this by virtue of its production values and teamwork aspects. Many traitor games play out as "faster" versions of the deduction portions of this game. There are also plenty of long, narrative games that scratch the same itch.

Carcassonne
is a medium-length + directly competitive + area control + worker + tile game.

It runs about 45 minutes. Each player is attempting to get the highest score. Players have a limited number of workers who can be placed on various areas of the board for points (and also to prevent other players claiming those areas). The board isn't a board in reality; it is a growing mass of randomly chosen tiles that are placed by the players with a huge amount of possible permutations.

This game gives you an idea of how cutthroat a game can be if you chop out all the niceties and just give everybody ways to muscle in on each other aggressively. Caylus, Dungeon Lords, and Agricola are games that expand upon the concept of placing workers to the point of revolving entirely around them. Starcraft, Eclipse, Room 25, and Catan make use of modular boards to provide replayability in the same way. Brass, Galaxy Trucker, and Vegas Showdown use tile placement in huge ways to let you build your own empires or whatever.

Dominion
is a very rich + short + indirectly competitive + engine + random setup + card game.

It runs about 20 minutes. The base game has 3,268,760 possible setups (over 14,782,232,000,000,000 if expanded fully up until the date of this post) where 10 random cards are chosen from the pool of all possible cards to compose the entire game. Players then attempt to outscore each other by using ingame resources to gain additional cards from the shared card bank to their deck, cards which then are used to produce more resources or effects that compound each other and themselves. Attempting to score gums up these engines and players must seek to achieve a balance between scoring and accelerating.

Dominion is another Thread Top 5, and it communicates the concept of engine-building (deckbuilding when cards are involved) more fluidly than a lot of games related to it like Puerto Rico, Race for the Galaxy, or Stone Age. It is incredibly deep and replayable, and a worthwhile addition to your collection all its own.

The games we discuss in this thread are hugely different from the games you've probably played. A lot of people hear "board game" and they think of Monopoly or some GW poo poo they played in the 80's. A lot of people hear "card game" and they think of poker, Magic, or getting shat on by Steve Jackson in a dozen different ways.

These three games in particular show how far the hobby has evolved, and you can pick out little bits of them to figure out what you're looking for in a game. You get the most well-rounded experience, basically.

A poster recently came in proclaiming how great a time he had playing Werewolf for the first time. We thought he was trolling, but it turns out he really just had no experience with games other than what Wal*Mart carries. And the worst part is that Werewolf, while not a bad game for its time, has been done better by dozens of different games in the last few years. Each year since 2004 has had double the amazing games the prior year had, and each game builds on its predecessors in tangible ways.

Folks settle for worse games because (A) they haven't heard of the better games and (B) you can have fun doing just about anything (ask all the people who've sat through Episode 1 and enjoyed the experience somehow, even if it was for social reasons). If you want to experience something new and fresh that is mentally rewarding, we have something for you. If you just like having a good time in a social setting, we have games that enhance social settings instead of requiring them. If you need to kill 15 minutes between classes with your clique, we have a game for you. If you want something to do on your lunch break with the other programmers, we have a game for you. Board gaming is at its highest point in history and there is a huge amount to be gained by dropping your reservations at the door next to the pile of burned copies of Munchkin.

Just ask us for a recommendation. I promise you'll have a good time.

Just keep in mind that BSG is recommended for being basically the most approachable Ameritrash game out there, but it's still loving cluttered with rules and bullshit because, well, that's why we call it Ameritrash.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

That's a great OP for understanding the hobby, but as an introduction for new people wanting to play games it's kinda daft.

"Welcome to the hobby! Board games are fun. Now read this terminology and look at Battlestar Galactica. It's two hours long and has lots of fiddly mechanics and wait wait where are you going"

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
amazing. it's like you're pretending to have read the post but without even taking a token effort to skim the drat thing

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Fat Samurai posted:

No worries, I just thought it would be interesting for them to try something different with the mechanics, or at least the fluff in the cards. For example, instead of a constant stream of aliens that end up overflowing into a combat zone, you could be pushing back the same alien in the track (i.e. running away or avoiding it) instead of killing it.
Moments like that do occur with the 'boss' aliens, alongside the flood of drones. For example, you may have to use a cattle prod to push The Perfect Organism back into the Nostromo's airlock in order to take it out.

They do some clever stuff with the objectives for each movie that mix things up.

There are always marines gunning down swarms of aliens in the background, though.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Ticket to Ride is pretty widely held as a good gateway drug. It's got very simple mechanics (more straightforward than any of those) but a lot of depth.

This! Don't take any chances with non-gamers and start them out with the game that's much more like their Monopoly and poo poo but is actually awesome. Then move onto Dominion, Carcassone, 7 Wonders etc

A bad first impression can be really hard to undo and in addition to the other things people mentioned about 7 Wonders, it's also not as much fun on your first play through as TTR. TTR's first play is much less of a "learning game". That's subtle but something to consider.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

amazing. it's like you're pretending to have read the post but without even taking a token effort to skim the drat thing
The point of my criticism: that wall of text is offputting to someone completely new to the hobby and reinforces the stereotype that board games are full of jargon and require in-depth knowledge to play, followed by an example that says it plays two hours. At this point (several paragraphs in) you've gone over terminology, history, context and everyone will still be thinking Monopoly.

It's a really useful OP for people who want to understand modern board gaming, or chat in the thread about games on useful terms. It's also a textbook example of how not to interest casual people in a new hobby.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 8, 2015