Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

BULBASAUR posted:

Re: Case Chat

This is my case. I built it out of a surplus night vision container and 'blu' pluck foam. The foam is a bit harder than KR, but significantly cheaper. The case is entirely reinforced metal, has a pressure release, handle, cost $20, looks rad, and transports 1.5 KR Kaisers. It also cost way less, I use it as a chair, spill beer on it, or attach it to a chain and use it as a boat anchor (its airtight and waterproof too).

However, this story isn't about my case.

I've used this case to transport my 30k army across the country about 5 times. Nothing has ever damaged my models and I have been carefree while traveling with them. Last week security was really slow and I barely had time to board my plane. All the bins were full and, despite explaining how fragile and valuable the contents were, I had no choice but to miss the flight or check it under the plane. I had faith in my case, but you can imagine what happened. My heavily converted models, that I've spent 100s of hours on, are in a bunch of pieces. Now they sit in the corner of my flat and mock me. I avoid looking at them because I know how long its going to take to fix everything.

The case held up pretty well, and given how fragile some of models were it could have been a lot worse. I just finished writing my airline a lengthy letter to maybe get some compensation for it. That said, I never realized how much these pieces of resin mean to me and I'm now terrified to fly with them again. I'm going to have to show up really early to every flight from now on and always ask to board the plane early.

That looks like a old Hazmat rebreather case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

Re: Case Chat
Dude :( If it makes you feel any better/worse, I remember reading a story a few years ago about somebody who left a metal GK army on a train in a black GW case, only for the bomb squad to get called in and detonate it.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
for some reason I imagined ghost hand to be younger

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thanks guys.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Not trying to be insensitive, but if your guys were each in their own little foam cell how did they get broken apart? Normally minis break when they have room to rattle around or are placed in with other minis in a single cell. That said luggage handlers are aggressively cunty and do things to luggage you wouldn't believe.

Safety Factor posted:

Man, that sucks. I'm really surprised your models got damaged at all in that thing. Is there a fair amount of free space with the foam inside? I hope you're able to get everything back together easily.

I fly with models and painting supplies all the time and haven't had anything other than the odd arm or gun pop off. All I do is take a bag which contains one foam tray for 10-15 models, a ziploc bag for paints, and my brushes. This is put in the middle of a small suitcase and surrounded on all sides by folded/rolled up clothes. I've actually been a little impressed at how durable my models have proven to be with this lovely, jury rigged set-up. These aren't short flights or anything either. These things have survived trips to loving Dubai, Singapore, Malaysia, etc. and back to the States. You'd think that my output would be a little higher doing this kind of thing, but I still don't paint that much. It's more just something to stave off insanity in hotels.

I'm genuinely at a loss about how they could damage the stuff so... thoroughly. My dudes were all in their own little foam cells and the trays are a tight fit inside the case (which you can drive over with an APC). In the past I've packed my dudes like you, Saftey Factor, in the middle of a squishy roller bag without problem. In fact I frequently transport beer, spirits, and things like glassware like that without issue.

Bottom line, I got unlucky, but it's a good lesson for those of you flying with hams.

Exinos posted:

Best 40k poster, where did you get the sweet case for $20? Also, does it gave like a model number so I can look it up on ebay/other?

Ebay, surplus stores, or craigslist. This is the exact model, which is important because the dimensions are perfect for fitting x2 blu foam trays side by side:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MILITARY-ST...=item5b0890c02f
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-Ar...=item3397ac68c4

Get it locally so you don't pay shipping.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
They probably opened the case and 'examined' it's contents. It looks cool but I would honestly be hesitant to pack fragile things into a milsurp container due to the attention it will likely get.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Hand posted:

My daughter ALWAYS gets juice...

Forgeworld hasn't made a resin juice yet, have they?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
No, but the Russians and the Chinese have already begun bootlegging it.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No, but the Russians and the Chinese have already begun bootlegging it.

If you buy knock off juice you are a lovely person with no morals and you should feel bad about it

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hixson posted:

If you buy knock off juice you are a lovely person with no morals and you should feel bad about it

Please don't poorshame me because I only want to buy Safeway Select Juice. Some of us just can't afford Tropicana!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I buy a local juice made in Victoria, costs a little more but it's way better than the official stuff and the knock off stuff

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

LordAba posted:

Forgeworld hasn't made a resin juice yet, have they?

The juice is a clever distraction from the resin daughter.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

NTRabbit posted:

I buy a local juice made in Victoria, costs a little more but it's way better than the official stuff and the knock off stuff

But did they properly playtest that juice? I mean, what if I decide to bring a big jug of milk and have it out with your juice? I don't think they were really prepared to jump that curdle.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Sure, my juice purchases are funding communism but on the other hand, gently caress juice workshop. I don't even care how cool the new juiceworld stuff is I'm not paying $80 for a jug of orange.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

for some reason I imagined ghost hand to be younger

Y'know, so did I. And when I first saw photos of him is still couldn't rationalise how the voice from the podcast came out of that man's head. Then we met and it did and now we're best friends the end.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Adding to KR chat - the cases aren't that cheap once you factor in shipping.

BUT they're perfect. The cardboard ones are great. I've had precisely two breakages out of over 100 minis of various types stored, and both times its Dr McSpindly Arms Mcgee the Techmarine whose practically a walking breakage.

Weigh up the value you have for your minis and the price you'll put on ease of transport.

Best thing about KR is ease of repacking. I just cobbled together my IG box and my marine box to transport a 1750 force including a drop pod, 2 rhinos, contemptor, two stormtalons and infantry in 2 boxes, both smaller than a GW carry case.

E: I have 7 kr cases now, and they were an absolute dream when I moved house.

Lord Twisted fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 8, 2015

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Uroboros posted:

Edit: So I am sitting here staring at my Razorback about 99% done. Is there a way to get parts to complete a second turret for this thing? Also in the codex it lists all sorts of turret options that simply don't come in the box. This strikes me as super dickish, but the perfectionist in me feels I should have all weapon options available. Where the heck do I find assault cannons or this weird plasma gun/Lascannon combo for it?

Forge World released a set that is pretty sweet. Here is mines.

By comparison, the assault cannons that fit the land raiders and such look like total rear end. Drop the extra cash on the good stuff, you're worth it, baby.

Reynold fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 8, 2015

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

BULBASAUR posted:

Pretty good overall, some minor tweaks for you to consider:

• Enhanced targeting on your castellax, especially the darkfire one
  • Nobody in your army has a cortex contoller. It's not really needed, but if you want your robots to live longer consider a cheap rear end magos dominus with machinator array to walk alongside them
  • I dunno how Malagra works, but I really like Myrmidax. That way you can give him x2 phase plasma-fusils on a T6 4W jet pack BS5 dude that re-rolls 1s. Pair him up with your jet pack thallax and watch things melt.
  • Cyber-occularis are cheap and have great perks, I would grab a few
  • My school of thought with the thralls is- keep them dirt cheap. If you give them rites of pure thought you can have a squad of 20 fearless dirt cheap troops to camp your backfield or march infront of the castellax. If you wanna keep them the way they are now, I would look at the rite of pure thought, since they will die fast when they finally get shot at.

Thanks, I'll have another stab after work. FYI, Malagra gives Monster Hunter, Preferred Enemy:Characters (I think), and +1 WS and A. It sounded good with the Paragon Blade.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Reynold posted:

Forge World released a set that is pretty sweet. Here is mines.

By comparison, the assault cannons that fit the land raiders and such look like total rear end. Drop the extra cash on the good stuff, you're worth it, baby.

There's also lots of 3rd party Razorback turrets, those and 3rd party Leman Russ guns/turrets are what I see more of than anything else for vehicles.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lungboy posted:

Thanks, I'll have another stab after work. FYI, Malagra gives Monster Hunter, Preferred Enemy:Characters (I think), and +1 WS and A. It sounded good with the Paragon Blade.

Admech can make some pretty good melee characters, but if you want to brawl you should ally in a legion instead. Iron Warriors and Iron Hands are good choices- battle bros, one of them can bring T6 jetbikes, the other won't run away after getting shot at.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Points are tight enough at 1250 that allies wouldn't really add much, although the Iron Hands retardo Master on Bike is always tempting. If I do this, it will be pure AdMech. Going dakka with the Magos it is then.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Oh, remembering when the Las/Plas Razorback combo not only was a kit, but a good choice, too. It's not been that since 1998.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I wonder how easy it would be to "tech-up" a bunch of DV cultists to make Tech-Thralls. £70 for 20 bodies at 3pts a pop is making my wallet cry more than any other part of the army.

VVV Yeah, £25 for 5 was even more insane. I'm tempted to remove the thralls from my list and add 3 more Thallax, and then get the Cybernetica Battlegroup + a Krios.

e2: Or even just drop the Krios and use that Battlegroup as-is.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 8, 2015

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

I wonder how easy it would be to "tech-up" a bunch of DV cultists to make Tech-Thralls. £70 for 20 bodies at 3pts a pop is making my wallet cry more than any other part of the army.

and this is after the price cut!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I think I have 2-3 unopened kits of Tech-Thralls. They have mitra-locks but I'm not gonna use them. 30 bucks and shipping and they're yours.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I think I have 2-3 unopened kits of Tech-Thralls. They have mitra-locks but I'm not gonna use them. 30 bucks and shipping and they're yours.

Very tempting, although I'm in the UK so shipping might be daft.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Where you at? Maybe I could paint those and actually make some gatdang'd money.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Aww, I was about to offer to buy em to start my admech.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I'm in New Jersey.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I'm in New Jersey.

I am so sorry.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I'm in PA and will take them if Post 9-11 User, Drythe, and Lungboy all blanche at shipping.

Edit: Speaking of Forgeworld, I have a left handed Mortis dreadnought TL autocannon arm that FW sent me by mistake (they put a left in a blister labelled right). They have long since fixed their mistake. I mentioned it in this thread before and a goon was going to buy it back in November, but he went quiet. Would anyone like it? Asking $10 plus shipping.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 8, 2015

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Played my first game with a Tyrannocyte last night, used it to drop in the Swarmlord against a Nurgle CSM list.

This is in an escalation league, so we were at 1,250 pts only. Being able to deliver a viable Assault until right into the enemy back lines changes everything for 'Nids and the fact that he rolled Warp Blast and Psychic Scream was just icing on the cake. I actually felt bad for the Nurgle player as the Swarmy popped a Rhino, ate the Plague Marines inside and then went on to munch a Hellbrute and some Oblits. Everything he left in his backfield just vanished. Considering the 75pt drop pod was also putting out 15 S4 shots after landing, it was almost unfair.

I expected the Tyrannocyte to be a decent addition, but it really is a total game changer.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I'm in New Jersey.
Where in NJ? I travel all over northern NJ for work, and my brother has been toying with the idea of Mechanicus allies.

Also, 2-3 kits equals how many bodies?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I'm like 10 minutes from PA, I live right outside of Trenton.

It's 5 men a kit. It's pretty ridiculous.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

TKIY posted:

Played my first game with a Tyrannocyte last night, used it to drop in the Swarmlord against a Nurgle CSM list.

This is in an escalation league, so we were at 1,250 pts only. Being able to deliver a viable Assault until right into the enemy back lines changes everything for 'Nids and the fact that he rolled Warp Blast and Psychic Scream was just icing on the cake. I actually felt bad for the Nurgle player as the Swarmy popped a Rhino, ate the Plague Marines inside and then went on to munch a Hellbrute and some Oblits. Everything he left in his backfield just vanished. Considering the 75pt drop pod was also putting out 15 S4 shots after landing, it was almost unfair.

I expected the Tyrannocyte to be a decent addition, but it really is a total game changer.

The fact that it is so tough and useful compared to the Mycetic Sporepod is really significant too. We were all quite bothered by losing our "drop pod" option, but the replacement is heads and tails above the original in terms of durability and utility. We went from T4 W3 to T5 W6, which is just insane. I'm currently painting one up as I type this for use in my ally game at my GT in February and I'm really looking forward to dumping a Toxicrene out and then putting five S6 shots into the back armor of the nearest tank.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

The fact that it is so tough and useful compared to the Mycetic Sporepod is really significant too. We were all quite bothered by losing our "drop pod" option, but the replacement is heads and tails above the original in terms of durability and utility. We went from T4 W3 to T5 W6, which is just insane. I'm currently painting one up as I type this for use in my ally game at my GT in February and I'm really looking forward to dumping a Toxicrene out and then putting five S6 shots into the back armor of the nearest tank.

Yeah my gut says go with Venom Cannons all the time on the Tyrannos. BS2 sucks, but you still have a good chance to roll a hit, and can pen anything with AV11 on the back. Since it has the scatter reduction rule like a Drop Pod, you can put it down in your desired location fairly reliably.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Forget about me for those Thralls, let an American goon buy them.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Where you at? Maybe I could paint those and actually make some gatdang'd money.

Drythe posted:

Aww, I was about to offer to buy em to start my admech.

Sulecrist posted:

I'm in PA and will take them if Post 9-11 User, Drythe, and Lungboy all blanche at shipping.

BuffaloChicken posted:

Where in NJ? I travel all over northern NJ for work, and my brother has been toying with the idea of Mechanicus allies.

GET EM! GET EM! GOGOGO!

I'd love to start a 30k army, but I'm so far behind on my 40k stuff that I told myself I wouldn't do it until I finished two of my three armies' backlog.

Ugh.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Got the first of my Ebay purchases in the mail, unpainted metal honor guard, I want to say the metal model is actually better looking to than the FineCast crap that the originals were made out of...

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
The originals were probably metal, and became Finecast afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Here's another try at an AdMech list, using only what comes in the Cybernetica Battlegroup. 1250pts on the nose:

code:
Magos Prime 95
Archmagos 35
Abeyant 25
Jetpack 20
Myrmidax 25
2 x Phased plasma fusil 40
---------------------------------
Thallax 135
Phase Plasma Fusil 10

Thallax 135
Phase Plasma Fusil 10