Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Isn't that actually really playable in Legacy D&T?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Isn't that actually really playable in Legacy D&T?

Seems underpowered for that.

On an unrelated note,

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
e: ^^huh, I can see this doing funny stuff, even though the first thought that comes to mind is "instant speed blockers :downs:"

Angry Grimace posted:

2/1 for W that incidentally hoses Whip decks. Sort of like reverse Dryad Militant.

Almost makes me nostalgic for Fabled Hero blowouts with Brave the Elements Naya.

Thanks, I was thinking this was an alright card until you made me go back and see that it does in fact only say "a graveyard". It's like a white uncommon Scavenging Ooze :allears:

Four Score fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 8, 2015

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Elyv posted:

Seems underpowered for that.

On an unrelated note,

Isn't this card like, loving awful, given the creatures can't attack?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

qbert posted:

Hahahahahahaha

I guess it doesn't give them Haste does it?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

qbert posted:

If they could attack it would be blatantly overpowered though. The card is for either blocking (ew) or abusing the gently caress out of ETB effects. This is one of those cards that enables broken combos that aren't immediately apparent because some nutter has to develop an entire deck around it.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 8, 2015

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

qbert posted:

Well, cast it for 4 then and get a Flame-Kin Zealot back...

And if you get say, a Restoration Angel back, you can get a guy to permanently stick.

Lars fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jan 8, 2015

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Mogis's Maurauder is 3cmc...

But whatever, Mardu warriors looks fun, even if the mana looks fiddly with good B and W one drops. Unless Marsh Flats returns.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
B/W warriors will have 4 different 1 drops to choose between now, so that's pretty dope. Loving the tribal support on the new guy, the ability to hose delve/whip decks means he'll probably be an automatic 4 of in the deck.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

What happens with Manifiest and ETB triggers? do they just never trigger?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

qbert posted:

It seems like there's a good chance B/W or Mardu Warriors can be a deck in FR, and I am SO onboard for that.

I've been tinkering with a Mardu Warriors deck ever since I won my local Game Day event with a build, so I'm glad they're giving me another two-power one-drop option that curves into Chief of the Edge like Bloodsoaked Champion has. I will need to adjust the mana base on the deck, though.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
It's really weird how after getting Gnarled Scarhide and Bloodsoaked Champion we now have a 2/1one drop with no downside. Guess it's white instead of black but still

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

superstepa posted:

It's really weird how after getting Gnarled Scarhide and Bloodsoaked Champion we now have a 2/1one drop with no downside. Guess it's white instead of black but still

As far back as I can remember, white getting a 2/1 vanilla one drop was a normal thing, whereas black getting any one drop with two-power always had a drawback, the earliest I'm remembering being Carnophage and Sarcomancy if you count that.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

AceClown posted:

What happens with Manifiest and ETB triggers? do they just never trigger?

A card being manifested is being put onto the battlefield as a colorless 2/2 with text that says you can turn it face up for its casting cost if it is a creature. It doesn't have any of the other text that would normally be on the card, so any ETB abilities on the creature won't trigger.

If you meant things that trigger on other creatures entering, those still trigger.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Lars posted:

Going to spoil the SvM/DaM/NoM scandinaviaMagic card later today, I'll link you guys as soon as the article goes up.

*Fastest Editor in the world:

http://www.danskmagic.com/articles/index.php?ID=1771

All I can think of when I see that URL is David Bowie singing "Dansk Magic Dansk".

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Mercury Crusader posted:

As far back as I can remember, white getting a 2/1 vanilla one drop was a normal thing, whereas black getting any one drop with two-power always had a drawback, the earliest I'm remembering being Carnophage and Sarcomancy if you count that.

Black and red get 2/1s with drawbacks.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Applebees posted:

Black and red get 2/1s with drawbacks.

Well he was specifically referring to black and white. Jackal Pup was hype, though.

Here's a weird creature that finds very specific artifacts as well as generates mana for artifacts:

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Zemyla posted:

All I can think of when I see that URL is David Bowie singing "Dansk Magic Dansk".

I wish I hadn't googl'd that.

Random note: The Mardu Lion seems pretty good with Mardu Charm's Make 2 Warriors mode in response to Whip/Alesha Activation.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Mercury Crusader posted:

Here's a weird creature that finds very specific artifacts as well as generates mana for artifacts:

You can see the Heart-piercer Bow in the background, so I guess the glowing beaker next to it is the Vial of Dragonfire. Heart piercer bow is awful, so hopefully whatever Vial is is good enough to want to tutor up.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fish Of Doom posted:

You can see the Heart-piercer Bow in the background, so I guess the glowing beaker next to it is the Vial of Dragonfire. Heart piercer bow is awful, so hopefully whatever Vial is is good enough to want to tutor up.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a card only present in the third set.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Fish Of Doom posted:

Who wants to take odds on it being this for ~symmettry~?
Vial of Dragonfire {2}
Artifact - Equipment
Whenever equipped creature blocks, Vial of Dragonfire deals 1 damage to target creature attacking player controls.
Equip {1}

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

What if Vial of Dragonfire makes Heart-Piercer Bow good? :shepface:

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Dungeon Ecology posted:

What if Vial of Dragonfire makes Heart-Piercer Bow good? :shepface:

Just have it give the Bow deathtouch/make it sac for shock :)

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Angry Grimace posted:

If they could attack it would be blatantly overpowered though. The card is for either blocking (ew) or abusing the gently caress out of ETB effects. This is one of those cards that enables broken combos that aren't immediately apparent because some nutter has to develop an entire deck around it.

7 mana gives you Pestermite and Kiki-Jiki...

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Mogis's Maurauder is 3cmc...

Yeah. Maurauder is straight up the best target for the card, even with the reduced utility of Intimidate now that the entire meta is made up of multicolored decks. But you can also get a lot of use out of a 5 CMC swarm of Mantis Riders or a 6 CMC swarm of Butchers of the Horde. (Or 7 CMC Zurgo's + Stormbreath Dragon if you want to go long.) (Edit: Or 7 CMC Kragma Warcaller + all the Minotaurs.) Or you can just be dumb and set up Hammer of Purphoros beforehand.

I'm not even going to posit the EDH poo poo you can pull with it. Oh hey! Here's a poo poo ton of instant speed Shadowborn Apostles for 3 mana which I will sac for Ob Nixi in response to you cracking your fetch.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 8, 2015

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot

Zemyla posted:

Great. Now I have to hunt you down and kill you. Like my week wasn't busy enough already.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
So I'm getting back into Magic, again. I've been reading this thread all the way through for the past two weeks and am starting to get excited to do my first prerelease next week. Is there anything I should do to get ready for it, other than get my workouts for those days in early before the day starts? Do I need to be good at Limited or Sealed to have fun? Will I go pay my entry fee and end up coming home with mostly garbage rares and draft leavings?

Convince me to maintain my unreasonable excitement, goons!

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Xir posted:

Will I go pay my entry fee and end up coming home with mostly garbage rares and draft leavings?

Prereleases are awesome, lots of new, fun magic cards that interact in new and exciting ways. They are great, buuuuut, the bolded part above is very true. When you play limited, you will almost always end up with pile of bad rares (for constructed) and draft leavings.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Xir posted:

Will I go pay my entry fee and end up coming home with mostly garbage rares and draft leavings?
If you go to a place with decent enough prize support and you're not falling asleep in your chair, you'll probably get some prize out of it.

And the Ugin's fate boosters look pretty rad too.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Read up on the rules for both Khans and the new set - but especially read up on how evergreen mechanics like lifelink, intimidate, deathtouch, etc work. Depending on when you last played there have probably been significant changes to some core rules. The Legend and Planeswalker rules changed just a year and a half ago, for example.

If you have time, playing a couple practice games on Magic Online can help. Wizards usually posts a prerelease primer that touches on block specific stuff, any really new changes, and tournament procedure, so keep an eye out for that on their site.

Also, if you have any rules questions beforehand, ask here. I'm a judge and I'm sure there are others in this thread willing to help. At the tournament proper feel free to call for a judge if anything is confusing. Your store may not have one for prerelease so the TO or store owner may have to make due.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Is there a known list of the alternate art cards now. I collect dumb stuff (only 12 or so stamped Khans cards to go!) and this sounds like a pain to finish a set of.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Alright, these sound like good suggestions and I'm on Wizards' site right now looking at the comprehensive rules.

I admit, all I know about the prerelease is that it is an event. I have no idea what goes on at it, and was guessing about the Sealed and Limited stuff.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Xir posted:

So I'm getting back into Magic, again. I've been reading this thread all the way through for the past two weeks and am starting to get excited to do my first prerelease next week. Is there anything I should do to get ready for it, other than get my workouts for those days in early before the day starts? Do I need to be good at Limited or Sealed to have fun? Will I go pay my entry fee and end up coming home with mostly garbage rares and draft leavings?

Convince me to maintain my unreasonable excitement, goons!

Someone has to lose. Why not enjoy playing magic, seeing new cards, maybe you get a good card, maybe you get a prize, maybe you just have a fun night?

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Xir posted:

Alright, these sound like good suggestions and I'm on Wizards' site right now looking at the comprehensive rules.

I admit, all I know about the prerelease is that it is an event. I have no idea what goes on at it, and was guessing about the Sealed and Limited stuff.

Yeah, it's sealed. The prereleases are probably the best means of getting back into the game because of that, coupled with the fact that nobody else has had the chance to play with this new stuff either. You get your six boosters, any little promotional stuff, and just go at it. Worst case scenario you got to buy and open some packs for the new set a week before they're released. A lot of people that don't come to regular events like FNM show up to prereleases, and they generally produce a good crowd of people who range from really serious players to people who have never played a match of Magic before in their lives. As a result, atmosphere wise it's as casual as your average FNM if not more so.

In terms of advice, outside of bringing anything you feel like you would personally want on a 5-6 hour outing, get yourself a cheap pack of sleeves and a pen and paper so you don't have to use a crappy spindown die for life.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

Is that some sort of Ghost Eldrazi?

It looks like ROE art style and Kamigawa art style had a beautiful baby elemental-thing.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Well he was specifically referring to black and white. Jackal Pup was hype, though.

I hope Vial of Dragonfire is real good because who the hell ever wants to tutor up Heart-Piercer Bow?
If we don't see Vial of Dragonfire til the third set, that's a super cool flavor gimmick of having a guy in the past who can fetch something from either possible future. Sadly that probably means Vial of Dragonfire will be a functional reprint of Heart-Piercer Bow or close to it.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Entropic posted:

I hope Vial of Dragonfire is real good because who the hell ever wants to tutor up Heart-Piercer Bow?
If we don't see Vial of Dragonfire til the third set, that's a super cool flavor gimmick of having a guy in the past who can fetch something from either possible future. Sadly that probably means Vial of Dragonfire will be a functional reprint of Heart-Piercer Bow or close to it.

I can pretty much guarantee that this will be the case, as Heart-Piercer is in Khans. This card is fun, but I don't think super amazing in this format. Can't be used for Morph casting/flips or for Manifest. Not a lot of good artifacts in the set, either.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Perhaps in the current time line it's a vial of dragonfire, but as time passes and we hit dragons of tarkir, it ages and turns into aether... :tinfoil:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The weaponsmith guy could be a great 2 drop in the Mono U or UR Robots decks. A much better way to get out a Doom Engine, albeit not hasty. Turn 1 Drum, Orthithoper, T2 this guy, T3 Doom engine.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
yeah if he's anything he's a dork for a constructed robots deck with an irrelevant second ability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Deofuta posted:

Perhaps in the current time line it's a vial of dragonfire, but as time passes and we hit dragons of tarkir, it ages and turns into aether... :tinfoil:

I don't think they want Aether Vial running around in Standard. At least not this one. Even if it would be pretty cool.

• Locked thread