Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

I don't know about this one. It has a belt buckle but no belt.
It's like those god awful Starfleet uniforms from ST:TMP.

VVVV HA ha

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wendell posted:

I loved Psylocke's hooded armour costume so much, and the characterization that went along with it. She wasn't a warrior, she provided tactics and support! That's pretty unique, I think. But then she became a ninja.

Me too! One of my all-time favorite costumes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

I don't know about this one. It has a belt buckle but no belt.

Obviously Young Scott was a big fan of Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

e; goddamn last page

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Note that the headsock might also be problematic if you're too thin:

The Gang Goes To A Convention

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

NorgLyle posted:

It is a big improvement but I think they went a little bit too far. I would have liked to see them hold onto a little more of the coloration (which I think works better with her hair and power effects) and possibly the bare shoulders and glove flair from her Jim Lee suit.

I think it's originally an X-Force costume, so the lack of color is part of the theme.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

404GoonNotFound posted:

You gotta pay the Magne-toll

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

404GoonNotFound posted:

The G.A.M.B.I.T system.

(I would so buy an It's Always Sunny X-book, Dennis as Gambit, Mac as Adam X, Charlie as Cable, Frank as Doop and Dee as like Husk).

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Dee as Beak

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

McSpanky posted:

Obviously Young Scott was a big fan of Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

e; goddamn last page

But that clearly has a belt! It's just the same color!

EDIT: Actually, I guess that's just the horrible horizontal lines on the scan.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

But that clearly has a belt! It's just the same color!

EDIT: Actually, I guess that's just the horrible horizontal lines on the scan.

Nah, looks like there's a belt

Bonus swinging McCoy

Hero costume chat: It may be old fashioned but I kind of like when the costume/name matches. I mean, you look at Caps costume and learn that he's "Captain America" and you'll go "Yeah, sure. I get it". Same for Iron Man, Spider-Man, Batman and most early hero creations.

Relevant:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Marvel Team-up 14: Spider-Man meets Invincible, in case (like me) you were wondering why Dick Grayson was cracking on Spider-man for having a stupid name, when, y'know, Batman.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
From the creative genius who brought us Robot, a robot, Monster Girl, a girl who can turn into a monster, and Wolf-Man, a wolf man. I like some of Kirkman's stuff, and the joke was redeemed by Luke Cage's reaction on the next page, but come on.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Waterhaul posted:

The G.A.M.B.I.T system.

(I would so buy an It's Always Sunny X-book, Dennis as Gambit, Mac as Adam X, Charlie as Cable, Frank as Doop and Dee as like Husk).

Nah, Charlie would be Cypher.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Inkspot posted:

From the creative genius who brought us Robot, a robot, Monster Girl, a girl who can turn into a monster, and Wolf-Man, a wolf man. I like some of Kirkman's stuff, and the joke was redeemed by Luke Cage's reaction on the next page, but come on.

Also personal favorite "Tech Jacket"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Let's not forget Battle Pope, the pope who battles things.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yeah and besides, Cricket is already has the scar-in-the-eye Cable thing.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Power Girl finally shut her hole, which is fine, but that cape looks kind of weird.

This one isn't any better.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
That second costume isn't any less hysterical now than the day it premiered.

"Cleavage is offensive! Just circle one of her nipples instead!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DC's long term refusal to change that absurd cupcake costume for so long against all reason is so bizarre.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sorry, I gotta invoke the Ebert Clause on this one.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

zoux posted:

DC's long term refusal to change that absurd cupcake costume for so long against all reason is so bizarre.

Reasoning: men like sexy ladies and will buy our pictures of sexy ladies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Reasoning: men like sexy ladies and will buy our pictures of sexy ladies.

They don't, though.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

404GoonNotFound posted:

Agh I can't find the Cable Wild Card gif that was circulating around BSS before but I assure you it exists.

Say Nothing posted:

Power Girl finally shut her hole, which is fine, but that cape looks kind of weird.

This one isn't any better.

Power Girl got her "old" costume a handful of issues anyway. Not that it mattered since all her appearences in those costumes resulted in her getting "battled damaged" which always tore around her chest.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

They don't, though.

Yeah but you can't be sure they wouldn't evener if not so let's not rock the boat.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Powergirls's costume is unfortunate because apart from the cupcake problem I think it actually has some good color choice and styling (mostly I think the half-cape and cuffed gloves are good/interesting and the contouring/quilting on the plain costume works pretty well to make a plain white outfit more interesting on the page). But those redos basically trade closing the boobhole for overall ugly designs. I don't know why they decided they needed to stick a P on her somewhere, she's never had one and trying to mash it into her chest/bib is just clumsy. And swapping a fairly trademark cape for a more boring design seems like a bad choice. A decent redesign shouldn't be that hard, it's not like there aren't better ideas out there:

That's just off the front page of google and there's probably four more that are more interesting than what they went with.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Wendell posted:

I loved Psylocke's hooded armour costume so much, and the characterization that went along with it. She wasn't a warrior, she provided tactics and support! That's pretty unique, I think. But then she became a ninja.

Armor Psylocke and the butterfly power signature was the best. She has never recovered from being ninja-fied and it makes me sad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Sorry, I gotta invoke the Ebert Clause on this one.

I googled this and all I got was a Ebert's Santa Clause reviews.

What also irritated me about Power Girl's uni is that they would try to come up with all these kayfabe reasons why she had it in response to the criticism of it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

zoux posted:

I googled this and all I got was a Ebert's Santa Clause reviews.

Ebert just really, really, really liked boobs.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Ebert just really, really, really liked boobs.
Not enough "really"s there.

Waterhaul posted:

Agh I can't find the Cable Wild Card gif that was circulating around BSS before but I assure you it exists.
I have been looking and so far cannot find it myself, either.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 8, 2015

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Inkspot posted:

That second costume isn't any less hysterical now than the day it premiered.

"Cleavage is offensive! Just circle one of her nipples instead!"

How long until they give it to some artist who decides to make absolutely *certain* you know it's a nipple by erecting it? See: Phyla-Vell/Quasar in the GotG/Annihilation event . (I want to say Annihilation: Conquest - Quasar, but I don't have it handy to verify.)

It was a little off-putting, considering I'd not noticed anything similar all through the previous and subsequent books I'd read with Phyla-Vell. Just, "OH HAY NIPPLE HERE!" - also considering he didn't give the same "attention" to Moondragon, as well.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

zoux posted:

What also irritated me about Power Girl's uni is that they would try to come up with all these kayfabe reasons why she had it in response to the criticism of it.

I sort of agree with you; in-character I think she should just own it as part of her confident, assertive personality instead that mewling "woe is me I don't have my own identity" crap. Context can make a big difference.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I'd settle for her going "Because just look at me." just once.

Her or any other similarly dressed, non-armor dependent, non-villain, really since even good people can have a little narcissism now and then. I suppose Starfire already did that a few time though.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Atmus posted:

I'd settle for her going "Because just look at me." just once.

Her or any other similarly dressed, non-armor dependent, non-villain, really since even good people can have a little narcissism now and then. I suppose Starfire already did that a few time though.

That's the character of Emma Frost.

Emma isn't a villain okay :colbert:

(also Namor)

(He isn't a villain either okay :colbert:)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Accidently posted this in TVIV:

Interesting how this poppped up after all the discussion. Apparently this character has been around for 6 months?

http://www.themarysue.com/new-power-girl-rad-as-heck/

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Soonmot posted:

Interesting how this poppped up after all the discussion. Apparently this character has been around for 6 months?

That jacket is silly though.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Soonmot posted:

So this is DC's answer to Ms. Marvel?

ChickenSuit
Apr 2, 2002

"You know I love you back."
That is an awful costume. The not-jacket jacket, the weird "Hey we got rid of the boob window so here's some strange underboob thing" thing, and nothing about it is iconic or special.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Armor Psylocke and the butterfly power signature was the best. She has never recovered from being ninja-fied and it makes me sad.

I never understood why Marvel just didn't create an new character instead of taking Psylocke and turning her Asian and into a ninja whose personality completely changed. Were they that enamored with the name Psylocke?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Davros1 posted:

I never understood why Marvel just didn't create an new character instead of taking Psylocke and turning her Asian and into a ninja whose personality completely changed. Were they that enamored with the name Psylocke?

Wasn't this a Claremont thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think it was a Jim Lee idea, actually, since he wanted to draw sexy Asian ninjas.

• Locked thread