Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Holy hell this new Lapkast.
e: I'm sad that they go down that rabbit-hole so completely.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

GobiasIndustries posted:

Really enjoyed the entire narrative improv trilogy on I4H, especially this most recent one. Being able to flesh out the characters in a variety of different scenarios was pretty fun to listen to, and Besser did a great job of chiming in and moving the scenes along.
That's as cold as being the first ambassador to France!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Charlie Sanders grunting and sniffing the donuts was amazing.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I wish besser wouldn't use 'cut to' so much in i4h. The scene barely gets established before he changes it again sometimes

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
In the latest instances of I4H the reason he was using "cut to" so much was they were in theory supposed to doing more grounded scene work and using the same characters so it was his way of just advancing things. Though in several instances I do agree that I felt as though his "cut to's" weren't nearly as concise as they should be and moved the action away from funny scenes that could have used a minute or two more to breathe.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
They were specifically doing a form that's supposed to be more like a sit-com.

I agree that Besser has a tendency to cut scenes off too early (I love stuff like the Atlantis scene or the 420 episode that evolves and builds onto itself) but I tend to notice him doing it more on live shows.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Illinois Smith posted:

I agree that Besser has a tendency to cut scenes off too early (I love stuff like the Atlantis scene or the 420 episode that evolves and builds onto itself) but I tend to notice him doing it more on live shows.

Yeah I started noticing it after listening to the 420 episode I think. Not every time or anything but there's been a number of times in the past year where I feel the performers finally get somewhere interesting in the premise and they cut our move the scene. It's a complaint I've had for awhile that I finally had to air after the last trio, let the comedians be comedians. (I missed that they were experimenting somehow though)

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 4, 2015

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Illinois Smith posted:

I agree that Besser has a tendency to c

AAAND SCENE!

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

We cut to...we cut to goons bickering about opinions on podcasts

I find he's being a bit too liberal with cutting against new performers like he's not trusting them to be funny enough or not following some improv rule I didn't notice. The recent live show from Canada felt like he was reeling them in too much and I didn't enjoy it as much :shrug:

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think he believes the movie game of cutting to scenes is the type of improv that he likes and the style he wants to utilize. When he cuts to another scene it's his way of trying to keep the game going. It's the form he's working in. I think it's more he trusts the other players to move into the new scene and be funny rather than trying to end something he doesn't like.

If that makes sense. I ramble.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Keep in mind that episodes are also edited. Earwolf used to release short snippets of scenes from I4H that didn't make it into the main episode, sometimes they'd even be continuations of already established scenes.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
keep in mind that improvisers prefer cutting to over staying here

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Judge Clayjar posted:

Really? Maybe I'm just used to cbb where the bit doesn't end hell or high water and they have forever to get weird

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

ImPureAwesome posted:

Really? Maybe I'm just used to cbb where the bit doesn't end hell or high water and they have forever to get weird
which makes Horatio Sanz the best guest of all because he keeps loosing track of his character making it even more absurd

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Judge Clayjar posted:

I just thought that was Darrell Hammond.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Zsinjeh posted:

which makes Horatio Sanz the best guest of all because he keeps loosing track of his character making it even more absurd

Scott tricking Horatio into telling SNL stories while in character is the best.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Sean & Hayes "vacationing in outer space" this week, according to Earwolf.

Tuesday is ruined

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

i've already killed myself

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Illinois Smith posted:

I thought the payoff was huge, really took the 3rd ep to that higher level. Besser might've been a little too restrictive, but it was a nice change of pace, kept everything moving very rapidly.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Am I seriously listening to David talk about Serial for an hour on Professor Blastoff

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

The Ape of Naples posted:

I just thought that was Darrell Hammond.

ahhaha gawddamnnn nice pull

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

A Big... Dog posted:

Am I seriously listening to David talk about Serial for an hour on Professor Blastoff

It was your choice to listen to that podcast

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
New ep of I Was There Too with Doug Benson talking about Captain EO (mostly). I'm not really a fan of Benson's podcast anymore, but it was a fun episode. Also, Matt Gourley interviews his awesome grandma at the end.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ImPureAwesome posted:

I'd say CBB is a fairly unique form though, there's a good bit of other elements like anti-comedy and poo poo mixed in.

Also the new I4H was great. She-Hulk Hogan is maybe my favorite character they've had in a bit.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
wait so in this reality she-hulk is hulk hogan's sister

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Gargamel Gibson posted:

New ep of I Was There Too with Doug Benson talking about Captain EO (mostly). I'm not really a fan of Benson's podcast anymore, but it was a fun episode. Also, Matt Gourley interviews his awesome grandma at the end.

I love Matt Gourley, even when he's not playing a character and just being an earnest fanboy, but a problem I can see popping up in IWTT is the variable quality of guests because his rolodex is going to include comedians who happen to have bit parts in movies as well as C-list actors. While some of the latter kinds of guests were interesting (I think Ricco Ross is a cool guy), they weren't as fun to me personally.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Podcasts don't need reverb.

Edit:NVM, It doesn't seem that IWTT has reverb. I thought it did.

VVV Todd Glass is the exception. I just mean as an overall ambience.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 8, 2015

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Omnishambles posted:

Podcasts don't need reverb.

Edit:NVM, It doesn't seem that IWTT has reverb. I thought it did.

Todd Glass would disagree.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

soggybagel posted:

Todd Glass would disagree.

He listens to podcasts at home with a live drum track, extra reverb and through a PA.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Scott Aukermann makes a William Friedkin/R Kelly joke in today's Never Not Funny that nearly caused me to crash my car.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

The first person to die while listening to a podcast will be the martyr for us all. Preferably a white male with a beard and artisinal coffee in the car, but I'm not picky.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zsinjeh posted:

The first person to die while listening to a podcast will be the martyr for us all. Preferably a white male with a beard and artisinal coffee in the car, but I'm not picky.

No! That almost describes me!

E: To be a Martyr would be a step up. Disregard.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Man, Matt Walsh is stepping all over everyone's lines on the latest I4H.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

moot the hopple posted:

Man, Matt Walsh is stepping all over everyone's lines on the latest I4H.

I expected a hell of a show given that lineup, but it was kind of a mess. The scenes that worked were incredible (the wedding planner, Horatio's backyard zoo,) but that jockey scene was one of the weakest and most aimless I've ever heard on I4H. Pulling the concept of She-Hulk Hogan from it at the end saved it, but only just.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Kate Berlant on the Lauren Lapkus show!! If you ever get a chance to see her do stand-up, go immediately. It's almost impossible to describe. It's like if a new age yoga instructor/branding consultant/cat lady did a stream-of-consciousness improvised set full of non-sequiturs. Check out this Portlandia-esque sketch she did with another great comic who I hope blows up, John Early:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTg3PJWh5nU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Listening back to that episode of Who Charted with Scott Aukerman when Armen Weitzman was filling in for Howard, Armen Weitzman is by far the best Comedy Bang Bang character to not appear on an episode of Comedy Bang Bang.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The Canon did a great episode on Forrest Gump. It's a work of great misanthropy that, while is crap as a movie, was a great swindle.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Has anyone considered that Engineer Sam is maybe a "blackhat" hacker guy? With the Sony hacks and the movie Blackhat and the James Spader show where he wears a black hat, it seems like the perfect environment for sabotage.....

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

ive never seen engineer sam and anonymous at the same time...makes u think..

also I've had Matt Bessers "It's Got To Be Ska!" song and video on my head for a week now. That dance he does is incredibly freeing after you've had a lot of moonshine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtrt3HwD1fA

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The White Scarf Jon Voight Wears On The Chabad Telethon: The Earwolf Thread