Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

New Starter Pack's up. The built in updater for the last version doesn't seem to have caught on though.

EDIT- Myself and several other users have been expirencing crashes on worldgen and when trying to start up imported saves. Might want to sit tight for a bit and see if things sort themselves out.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's like Christmas came early!

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

RedTonic posted:

Does anyone else have wagons regularly wrecking because the caravan decides to drive through 7/7 water tiles?

Yup http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6819

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

I really need to start reviewing that tracker more. It explains so much weird poo poo that I've gotten used to working around. (Lead pillars every two square urists around the moat to keep caravans from driving straight in? Yes please! Traps don't even dissuade these mad bastards anymore.)

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Warbird posted:

EDIT- Myself and several other users have been expirencing crashes on worldgen and when trying to start up imported saves. Might want to sit tight for a bit and see if things sort themselves out.

TWBT seems to be to blame this time. It only works in legacy mode (horrible jaggy illegible scaling when sizes don't match) right now, but Mifki is already busy fixing it.

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

scamtank posted:

TWBT seems to be to blame this time. It only works in legacy mode (horrible jaggy illegible scaling when sizes don't match) right now, but Mifki is already busy fixing it.

Yes indeed. Here's a temp workaround solution from the DF forums:

"fricy" posted:

Temp. solution:
1. Install any graphics.
2. Select Print_mode: TWBT_LEGACY
3. Go to Customization and select curses_square_24x24.png

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

poats (pissed off about trees status):

Warm swamp seen from above. The purple flowers are in plum trees, the brown branches belong to sand pears. The rest is all alder and birch. I think that's a slightly more believable result.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

scamtank posted:

poats (pissed off about trees status):

Warm swamp seen from above. The purple flowers are in plum trees, the brown branches belong to sand pears. The rest is all alder and birch. I think that's a slightly more believable result.

so how do we get avocado trees to spawn in tundra

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

first you give me lots of scientific information about trees and minerals and anatomy that contradicts my deepest intuitive beliefs so that I start posting and posting until I vanish in an angry puff of logic, then you adjust the biome tags

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:science:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DF should generate biome flora from a subset of what's available, rather than pulling from anything that can survive there.

I have no idea if Toady has implemented that yet.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Starting a new game after a long break using the newb pack, a question: do i need to change any special stuff in starter pack options to make twbt work?(FONT or GRAPHICS_FONT in tilesets) or just go with install graphics?

TWBT gives a depth view of some kind to see many levels on mountains if i am reading right? the thread i find didn't give much info.

Thanks in advance.

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

Delerion posted:

Starting a new game after a long break using the newb pack, a question: do i need to change any special stuff in starter pack options to make twbt work?(FONT or GRAPHICS_FONT in tilesets) or just go with install graphics?

TWBT gives a depth view of some kind to see many levels on mountains if i am reading right? the thread i find didn't give much info.

Thanks in advance.

If you want to play with the Starter Pack (newb pack's new name) you'll have to do this fix:
Download the starter pack here:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7622
Extract whereever you please.

Download the updated appropriate version of TWBT here:
http://build.mifki.com/

Extract TWBT 5.40 and put the .dll files from the 40.23 folder in Dwarf Fortress 40_23 Starter Pack r1\Dwarf Fortress 0.40.23\hack\plugins.
Place the curses_800x600.png in Dwarf Fortress 40_23 Starter Pack r1\Dwarf Fortress 0.40.23\data\art

edit: I would love more varied trees. And more ubiquitous hemp plants.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I want to be able to harvest gingko, almonds, and walnuts. :eng99:

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Thanks! It was crashing at first but it's working now.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Oh, he pushed out version .40 already? What a guy.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Lu Yan posted:

edit: I would love more varied trees. And more ubiquitous hemp plants.

Even without its mind-altering properties hemp is a fantastic crop. Like kenaf and flax, it can serve many purposes in a dwarven fortress:

- It can be turned into flour, serving as a cooking ingredient
- It can be pressed into oil, serving as a great source of soap
- You can spin it into thread and make clothes, bags, whatever out of it!
- Unlike pig tails, it grows all four seasons of the year

For me hemp seeds are an essential part of any embark and I always make sure to get some growing. Combined with a good primary staple food crop (kaniwa, quinoa, etc.) you can do well with only two fields.

As an aside, if you're interested in above-ground crop growing, always check on the DF Wiki "Crops" page to make sure that whatever you grow has a green background. I've done a lot of topside farming and there seem to be some plants that just don't want to work correctly. I'm not sure if it's 100% accurate but it seems to be mostly correct.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Is there a way to actually make oil in a way that doesn't put you at risk of accidentally consuming all your seeds for oil?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

Is there a way to actually make oil in a way that doesn't put you at risk of accidentally consuming all your seeds for oil?

To be honest, I haven't really encountered that problem post-DF2014. I wouldn't suggest making more soap than required for the fortress, since it has such awful trade value, and with that in mind as long as you're not queueing up "press seeds" as a repeated job you should be ok. Also, as long as your fields are planted, you'll get seeds back from the plant processing and mill plants jobs, so you're unlikely to actually run out.

edit: a way to be extra-certain would be to have multiple stockpiles, only one of which feeds to the workshop.

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 7, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I updated to the new starter pack and I've been having tons of crashes. Shutting off the tweak and bugfix parts for dfhack seemed to help with whatever was giving me a crash at a minute in, but I just got a crash well before my seasonal autosave and I'm a bit bummed.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I have sort of an embarassing novice question, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

What's the best way to clear out an overhanging section of soil? I like mining out a nice clean entrance for my fortresses, but it often leaves a roof of stuff hovering above everything. This offends my ADD side and I'm forced to try and remove it, and the best way I know of is to very very carefully channel it out almost 1 square or line at a time. If I do it any other way, my miners immediately dig the ground out from under themselves and cause a collapse and eventually die.

Is there a simpler way of doing this then just micromanaging it line-by-line?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Jeremor posted:

I have sort of an embarassing novice question, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

What's the best way to clear out an overhanging section of soil? I like mining out a nice clean entrance for my fortresses, but it often leaves a roof of stuff hovering above everything. This offends my ADD side and I'm forced to try and remove it, and the best way I know of is to very very carefully channel it out almost 1 square or line at a time. If I do it any other way, my miners immediately dig the ground out from under themselves and cause a collapse and eventually die.

Mining designations follow the LIFO principle just like constructions do. The order of inputs is square by square, even if you designate a swath at a time. So, start designating at the point you want done last, and go from there. Unfortunately there's still a good bit of risk, though it sounds like some more kinks (dwarves don't stand on the square they're channeling!!!) are being worked out. Sadly the dust clouds from a collapse one z-level down seem to be dangerous if my last 40.19 game is still accurate in that regard.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Don't dig a tunnel and then punch out the roof, just start from the top and carve your way down. You can smooth out any straggler ramp remnants.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Didn't the latest version add an ability to designate "mine this section, then this section, now this section" up to like 7 categories? Use them to designate from the inside out.

I remember a patch note that said Toady had fixed dwarves channeling what they're standing on too.

EDIT: Also yeah, channel the top layer as the FIRST step, then once that's done hit the second layer, repeat until you hit the level you want it at. The "don't do this until that is done" designations should help with this too!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Meph says he is tempted to start all over again with masterwork.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=147276.0

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Oh and heh hello. Devlog time.

Toady One posted:

Another few days:

Stopped certain situations where you could be stuck in the air above certain tiles
Stopped active blocks/parries from rarely freezing adv mode
Stopped worker chaining to next construction job from choosing suspended one
Made certain old civilian weapon assignments clear over time
Fixed problem with water disappearing when it crosses the z=0 boundary
Stopped random creature proboscis from sometimes messing up poison attacks
Added error logs for missing materials set to defaults, fixed various raws
Stopped announcement screen date from overrunning title depending on window size
Differentiated two pain readouts on health screen

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Medium world, about 400 years of history.
A female and a male dragon have each made their lairs fairly close together. I embarked nearby in hopes of catching both.

I will breed and export war dragons until my civ is familiar with them and then take revenge on a couple elf civilizations that wiped out a dwarf civ through repeated aggressive wars. The civ I am part of has all their sites behind an inaccessible mountain range, so I will refuse the barony as this embark is the only accessible site and I dont want the king coming.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 7, 2015

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Starter Pack, now with 47% fewer crashes.

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006
Togal Knightcobra the King of Attacking was a bronze colossus. It was the only one of its kind. Togal was associated with war, strength and metals.
In the midautumn of 123, Togal was struck down by an elephant in Pearlbar.

Togal has been the only megabeast killed.

Bugsud Dungswastes the Spurting Night of Holes was a forgotten beast. A huge humanoid composed of amber. It has three narrow tails and it has a gaunt appearance. Beware its poisonous gas! Bugsud was associated with deformity and caverns.

I love this world. It also has a zombie dragon. Perfect world to start my surface fort in.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Meph says he is tempted to start all over again with masterwork.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=147276.0

My favorite bit is the very first post after Meph explains his stance with the whole "stupendous feature creep where poo poo just doesn't work half the time" being a bother:

quote:

Well... um... I would say that the most important in Masterwork is it's features. All of them.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Jeremor posted:

I do the same thing with clean entrances, and I always use ramps. Start at the top level you want gone and turn it into ramps, and then go down, level by level, until you're at the base. At that point, remove ramps, and you'll be left with a sheer cliff above.

I also use this to create plateaus for my dwarves. If there's a larger mountain above, I shave it down using ramps until it's flat, and then shave off the sides into sheer cliffs (preferably rock so it can be smoothed, since then it can't be climbed). Then just dig up to the top and presto, a completely natural dirt-covered plateau where you can plant or pasture whatever you want.

When carving ramps, make sure you've cut down any trees in the area first, because they can cause cave-ins and other weirdness.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
New release is up

quote:

Major bug fixes
    Fixed problem causing dwarves to sometimes fail to attack monsters/invaders
    Stopped active blocks/parries from rarely freezing adv mode
    Stopped certain situations where you could be stuck in the air above certain tiles
    Fixed a few problems with necromancers attacking (and generally being killed by) their zombies
    Stopped crash from moving/centering squad menu going out of bounds
    Fixed crash involving squads and minimap
    Fixed unretire crash that generally triggered when caravan arrived
    Stopped dwarf from stressing out over the same wound forever
    Stopped certain inaccessible jobs from blocking lower priority ones
Other bug fixes/tweaks
    Allowed embarks with x/y dim 1
    Made removal of trees check building/bridge/machine stability
    Stopped worker chaining to next construction job from choosing suspended one
    Tentatively fixed text mode error on OSX (lethosor)
    Tentatively fixed broken sound on some linuxes (Baughn)
    Fixed problem with water disappearing when it crosses the z=0 boundary
    Made certain old civilian weapon assignments clear over time
    Made t/q building selector respect stockpile shapes when looking for closest one
    Fixed error with underground pops in small forts not appearing
    Stopped mood jobs from going outside of burrows
    Capped various combat skill gains per action (Urist Da Vinci)
    Stopped "fighting" skill from increasing from trap/projectile attacks
    Stopped random creature proboscis from sometimes messing up poison attacks
    Fixed key display issue in bindings screen (lethosor)
    Fixed problem with display of kill order status
    Made geld indicator appear for pets on animal screen properly
    Fixed display problem with agreement conclusion dates
    Added error logs for missing materials set to defaults, fixed various raws
    Stopped announcement screen date from overrunning title depending on window size
    Differentiated two pain readouts on health screen
    Fixed a few empty announcement errors

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And the starter pack remained current for less than a day. Goddamnit, toady.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The man is some kind of machine. Just hook him up to a waterwheel and watch him go.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Tempted to pick up DF yet again, but I remain curious about one thing: have bees ever been fixed yet? Whenever I assign someone to start beekeeping, they end up in the middle of nowhere, standing aimlessly until they die.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

No, that happened when you assigned more than one guy to beekeeping. The "extract a wild hive" job attracted more than one idle guy and when it was done by the first arrival, the second one got stuck until you took the labor off him.

With the refurbished job system, I'd bet that's not such a problem anymore.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I've managed to successfully keep bees in the current version, just be aware that it is extremely not worth it. A colony only produces one honeycomb every nine months-ish and the honeycomb and royal jelly are both fairly low value. Harvesting the honeycomb somehow destroys the hive too. Also there's no guarantee that honeybees are on your fort location - find any natural hives (represented in ascii by a little circle) and examine them to see what lives there. Alternately, go to dfhack and type "colonies". It will tell you what lives on your map. If there aren't any honeybees on your map, well, you're hosed unless you type "colonies bees" into dfhack, which converts all colonies into honeybees.

The lesson to take from all this is that dwarves are terrible beekeepers.

Edit: I thought toady fixed the stuck beekeeper bug.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Prop Wash posted:

I've managed to successfully keep bees in the current version, just be aware that it is extremely not worth it. A colony only produces one honeycomb every nine months-ish and the honeycomb and royal jelly are both fairly low value. Harvesting the honeycomb somehow destroys the hive too. Also there's no guarantee that honeybees are on your fort location - find any natural hives (represented in ascii by a little circle) and examine them to see what lives there. Alternately, go to dfhack and type "colonies". It will tell you what lives on your map. If there aren't any honeybees on your map, well, you're hosed unless you type "colonies bees" into dfhack, which converts all colonies into honeybees.

The lesson to take from all this is that dwarves are terrible beekeepers.

Edit: I thought toady fixed the stuck beekeeper bug.

:science: The destruction of the colony upon harvest is accurate if we accept that the beekeepers aren't using anything like a movable frame hive, whose earliest prototype wasn't invented until very late in the 1700s. Until then, harvest generally resulted in the destruction of your colony for a several reasons, among which are:
* The honeycomb was built everywhere and interconnected, so it was next to impossible to take some of it without crushing everything.
* There was no practical way to get bees to develop comb only containing honey as opposed to a mixture of honey, eggs, larvae, pupae, and pollen.
* There was no practical way to open a hive for inspection to check on the health and yield of the hive, because everything was interconnected and could not be separated for examination.
* Bees are assholes and want to sting you; it's easier to kill them all and rob after.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

When Meph put out the call for the new, leaner Masterwork, I came forward with my beekeeping do-over. He was pretty pleased by it, so I'm guessing it's going in sooner or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Beekeeping never worked for me anyways because any time I had a Dwarf standing outside for extended periods of time something would wander by and murder them.

Or they would be terrified of a gazelle and run in circles endlessly.