Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

zoux posted:

Last Week Tonight is doing the best American political satire at the moment.

Hm, I haven't checked that out. Maybe I should have a look. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

They distinguish themselves from the Daily show by doing 15 minute long form pieces where they really drill down on a specific issue. They also include a lot of international issues and they say gently caress a whole bunch.

I think all their long form features are on Youtube and honestly they are all excellent, but this is one of my favorites
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIMgfBZrrZ8

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Broken Cog posted:

John Oliver is pretty great, and he also does a podcast (The Bugle) that does a fair amount of political satire/criticism/reporting.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That there is art inherent in shock value alone is something I have difficulty agreeing with, though. It has to be done with a lot of care and it very frequently is not. I'm not sure that we can claim anything absent shock value is "complacent" or "toothless."

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Stultus Maximus posted:

Charlie Hebdo seems crude and juvenile.

Bonjour, bienvenue à la France

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

It wasn't "misinterpreted" and it wasn't "over a cartoon". It was a calculated act with an intended effect

http://www.juancole.com/2015/01/sharpening-contradictions-satirists.html

An intended effect that thus far appears to be working, btw.

this actually makes a lot of sense, though i don't think it's been 100% proven that there was connection.
considering that basically the same thing happened here in Canada I wouldn't be surprised though

ANYWAYS i apologize for derailing a thread about what ultimately should be posting bad cartoons and laughing at them

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's kind of okay that we had a long discussion about it, I mean some chat is bound to happen and at least this one is pretty directly about political cartoons. I get that people reacted really harshly to old GBS but this persistent idea that any time a thread veers from its purpose it's a "derail" and that the derail is bad is really, really weird.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bicyclops posted:

It's kind of okay that we had a long discussion about it, I mean some chat is bound to happen and at least this one is pretty directly about political cartoons. I get that people reacted really harshly to old GBS but this persistent idea that any time a thread veers from its purpose it's a "derail" and that the derail is bad is really, really weird.

I think it was pretty good that the discussion didn't get too insulting and mean. :)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Satire is truly dead.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Exclamation Marx posted:

I want to know if the Boko Haram one is meant to be satirising daily mail type MUSLIM BENEFIT SCROUNGERS TAKING ARE TAXES stuff, or if it's just a terrible joke

Trust me, it's the first one. It's definitely intended to ridicule the conservative viewpoint of minorities getting all the benefits because :

-Boko Haram sex slaves most likely have more important issues to deal with
-They are not even in France
-The whole thing is definitively over the top

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, I think it's a cultural difference. As an American, I see Colbert as the pinnacle of satire, both funny and incisive, whereas everything posted here from Charlie Hebdo seems crude and juvenile.

I guess it's mostly cultural differences then, because I tend to see Colbert/John Stewart/that Oliver guy as extremely conventional and maybe a little too bland for my tastes, especially the latter whose name I just can't remember right now.

Creamed Cormp fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 8, 2015

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Rorus Raz posted:

Satire is truly dead.

so is democracy, free speech, gun rights, "family values", etc

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

albany academy posted:

What do sane people kill for

Money, sex, land. Normal things, really.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Nice jab at the PC Media, not as bad as leister's though.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Eat poo poo McCoy. Eat a steaming log of poo poo on a bun.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh hey there dolchstoss

Can someone tell me exactly what the media is not doing that McCoy wishes they were? Just nonstop Mohammed caricatures on every front page, or what?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I wonder if it bothers him to depict French people not losing/running from a battle.

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
That cartoon is 100 percent correct, though.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

duz posted:

Money, sex, land. Normal things, really.

:wiggle:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

loquacius posted:

Oh hey there dolchstoss

That's not Dolchstoss at all unless you want to stretch the definition enough that it's incapable of holding any water beyond "two people on a battlefront."

quote:

Can someone tell me exactly what the media is not doing that McCoy wishes they were? Just nonstop Mohammed caricatures on every front page, or what?

You've been following the discussion in this thread yes?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

Oh hey there dolchstoss

He most certainly made that cartoon before he could observe anything but Breaking News kind of coverage.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

b0ner of doom posted:

Actually, the PC Media is maintaining maximum profits by taking a passive stance. So shouldn't he be congratulating their free market acumen?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
If it were edited so that the guy running away had DnD on his rear end, it'd be a pretty good cartoon.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

loquacius posted:

Oh hey there dolchstoss

It honestly doesn't seem to be more than a "P.C media amIrite? :rolleyes:" joke set to the current events.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

7 Anyone know what this one is referring to?

and some US stuff:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I don't know why you brought up Old GBS in this context, since the old GBS being all shouty about derails was one of the many many reasons it was killed, people reacting harshly against Old GBS would mean they were for derails, no?

Anyway, here's an absurdly small cartoon made by some guy named Tom Stiglich

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

loquacius posted:

Oh hey there dolchstoss

Glenn McCoy posted:

Most of the media is still afraid to acknowledge that we are at war or who the enemy is. A united front in favor of free speech would have provided these brave cartoonists some needed protection but unfortunately the P.C. press doesn't wish to offend those who deal out censorship with bullets bombs and beheadings.
I wonder if he's aware that the staff had armed police guards with them. Who were also killed.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Republican Congress starts dismantling the progress built over the years under Obama who attempts to maintain the place with what materials he has. A good cartoon.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

forbidden lesbian posted:

I don't know why you brought up Old GBS in this context, since the old GBS being all shouty about derails was one of the many many reasons it was killed, people reacting harshly against Old GBS would mean they were for derails, no?

Anyway, here's an absurdly small cartoon made by some guy named Tom Stiglich

I don't know, that seems to be the reason people express for concern whenever people use genuine words and sometimes even paragraphs to express ideas, that we are in danger of falling into a wormhole to "old GBS," in which the PC Police running from the foxhole in that bad McCoy cartoon are going to assassinate all joking or something.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

colonel_korn posted:

I wonder if he's aware that the staff had armed police guards with them. Who were also killed.

Ok cool so he is straight-up flat-out saying that what he wants is a new crusade against the entire Islamic world, just making sure

How does he think that would work exactly? We declare war on every single country with a Muslim majority and... then do what? What are our goals in this imagined war, apart from mass conversion to Christianity or genocide? Does he think we could just impose democracy? Even if we could, what would that accomplish? None of the people behind this attack or any other was a state actor; changing a government somewhere wouldn't stop them but the war that would require WOULD really piss them off.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

colonel_korn posted:

Oh, so it's really just a cartoon about how those drat PC Police in the media won't just indiscriminately tar and feather all Muslims everywhere because of this tragedy. Never mind that one of the officers killed was Muslim.

gently caress you, McCoy.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

loquacius posted:

My guess is that a lot of them are censoring the photo in their reporting of the incident. Telegraph, NY Daily News, CNN, and NY Times had photos of the editor holding up his art and blurred out the actual comic. AP cropped the image out of their photos.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Why Barbapapa?

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah, I think it's a cultural difference. As an American, I see Colbert as the pinnacle of satire, both funny and incisive, whereas everything posted here from Charlie Hebdo seems crude and juvenile.

That's French humour for you.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

b0ner of doom posted:

Actually, if they freely chose not to run stupid Mohammed cartoons out of respect for, you know, the many people who aren't wackjob fundamentalists, then that's also free speech.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Hitler B. Natural posted:

That's French humour for you.

quimby is hebdo

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rorus Raz posted:

Actually, if they freely chose not to run stupid Mohammed cartoons out of respect for, you know, the many people who aren't wackjob fundamentalists, then that's also free speech.

Sure, but I have trouble believing that's their motivation.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

prefect posted:

Sure, but I have trouble believing that's their motivation.
That's fine, but not including the cartoons out of a fear that their office will be shot up is not political correctness gone mad, so that McCoy is poo poo regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rorus Raz posted:

That's fine, but not including the cartoons out of a fear that their office will be shot up is not political correctness gone mad, so that McCoy is poo poo regardless.

Can't argue with this.

• Locked thread