Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ballz posted:

Also, have a Banksy:

I saw a variant of this earlier.

WitchFetish posted:

It feels like I'm arguing with people who have no idea what the gently caress they are talking about from the beginning, and this is honestly kinda scary.

I think the word you're looking for is "Americans"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Finally a German newspaper with some balls:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

ephex posted:

It was predictably depressing that no English paper would reprint the cartoons, probably a meeting going on now at Private Eye to discuss whether they'll follow suit.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

ephex posted:

Radio debate this morning between editors of BZ and The Independent (UK). Latter said basically "we support CH's right to publish cartoons but we won't republish because we have to protect our staff." He also added that he wouldn't republish unilaterally - implying that if all UK newspaper republish (and NONE of them have) that the situation might be different.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
The NZ Herald's cartoonist did the entirety of tomorrow's cover, but no idea if they'll publish any of CH's cartoons as well:

They did publish some online though (with extremely bad translations)

actual: The UMP discovers democracy

actual: What an idiot! I should have worked[...]

actual: There, do you still recognise Palestine?

exmarx fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 8, 2015

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam. AGC.

(This is the most Willfully Dense poo poo I've seen in months.)

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

WarpedNaba posted:

I can't find a good archive for Giles. But I think I'll be able to start scanning a mate's books (He's an old Irish bloke who's one helluva fan) in a few days. We still cool with that?
Yeah, definitely. Giles wan't really as left wing as you made out earlier (was that you? Too many pages to check) but his art was amazingly detailed. He was also famous for travelling around the country in a caravan that could be converted into a mobile studio and bar, like some kind of Ur-political cartoonist.

Also anything with Grandma Giles in is great, although not generally political.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Okay, Berlin newspapers are officially badass

NO!
YOU CAN'T MURDER OUR FREEDOM

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ephex posted:

NO!

It's nice to see Germany and France on the same side of a fight. :3:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

e: woops, this was already posted

This was on the BBC earlier today. It's kind of weird seeing political cartoons in the wild.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shadeoses posted:

Do we still like skeletons, donkeys and labels?

Ramirez has gotten a lot better. Sadly, as shown in the bottom left, he still can't draw spines.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 8, 2015

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

"French cartoonists killed for their satire? Why... This sounds like a great opportunity to really nail that Obama guy! Somehow! Because I am a baby who lacks the cognitive ability tob differentiate between people I don't like and events I don't like!"

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
This is from a few pages back, but it's been irking me since I read it.

Jedit posted:

No, it's the right time to bring it up. It's why Charlie Hebdo was targeted, and as such it is relevant - doubly so, considering that had it been one of the thread's right wing regulars who had been killed by extremists, you wouldn't be able to breathe in here for the schadenfreude.

That is completely horse poo poo. Some nut-job claiming to be a radical feminist could murder Chris Muir tomorrow because they were offended by how terribly sexist his comic is, and Muir would deserve to be credited for exercising his free speech and being martyred for it. (Even more so is he had already been firebombed or otherwise attacked in the same manner as Charlie Hebdo and kept at it.) lovely opinions should be mocked, not silenced, and it's right to morn even when a lovely opinion is silenced by violence because no lovely opinion is as lovely as violence.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Perfect.

I have no ide- oh.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 8, 2015

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Did not expect Kirschen to blame pigeons.

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.
I would love to see more cartoons and perhaps even editorial excerpts from the publication in general, but of the victims in particular. I am ashamed to say that I was one of those who at first thought Charlie Hebdo was a person and not just the name of the publication.

But please, PLEASE for the love of god, do provide context or at-least translation (perhaps not of the editorials, if there are links one can just google translate by yourself.)

Would be interesting to see what they had to say outside of religious matters as well. A few cartoons have been posted, but would like to see more. I am no francophone and had never heard of this publication or artists before, and there are mostly a focus on the recent cartoons that sparked this atrocity being showcased (or lack of that even, aside from those German papers).

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Exclamation Marx posted:

This guys a freakin idiot

Do cartoonists use a special kind of pen like this or did Bennet start drawing a pen and then forget he was drawing a pen?

How is that pigeon going to peck at bread crumbs without a beak? :ohdear:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gravel Gravy posted:

Do cartoonists use a special kind of pen like this or did Bennet start drawing a pen and then forget he was drawing a pen?

It's an ordinary dip pen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dip_pen

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Well, the metaphor doesn't work as well with a wacom stylus

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Art is a symbol and therefore inherently meaningless. For a symbol to have value to the viewer we need to understand the context and culture in which it was created. For instance, there is a 30,000+ year old piece of art in a cave that depicts a creature with the head of a lion and the body of a woman. Without a frame of context we can only guess at the meaning. Are we seeing an image of the goddess once worshiped by the artist, or is it scathing commentary on his ex-wife? We can only guess at the intent. The true meaning is forever lost.

I draw a swastika. Is this a symbol of good luck? Am I calling for the death of the Jewish race? Is it a poorly thought-out pinwheel? Without understanding the context of my art it is up to you the viewer to decide.

If I choose my symbolism poorly I can expect to be misunderstood. That’s why we have ”A Good Comic” as a thread meme. Artists who don’t understand the nature of the language they use create symbols that can be seen in unintended ways.

On the other hand we have artists who deliberately choose commonly expressed symbols in order to mock either their accepted meaning or those who routinely utilize these symbols. Everybody’s favorite Onion cartoonist is the perfect example of this. However, when somebody new sees a Kelly piece away from the context of the obviously satirical Onion these cartoons are easily and often interpreted to be hateful and ignorant trash. Context is the only way to understand symbolism.

Previous to the massacre in France I have seen a few of the comics produced by the staff of Charlie Hebdo. Not knowing the nature of the publication I could only see hateful scribbles; art that belonged in Dry Bones and a message worthy of a Muir or McCoy. In short, just another bunch of hate-mongers with a pen. With the context explained by a few helpful posters I can begin to understand the symbolic language used, and thus understand the intended message. With the help of a translator the artists have now communicated with me.

Let this be the message: next time somebody posts a comment about the cartoons and points out that they look a whole lot like hate speech, take the time to educate them. Post some cartoons, talk about the context, the message, the events going on in France at the time of publication. Give us the translation we need to understand the art. Don’t go on the attack. Don’t give us more mindless hate. Enlighten us. Show us what these artists lived and died for.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

steinrokkan posted:

There's a pretty crucial difference between this situation and any post-mass shooting frenzy: While the NRA tries to prevent people from debating the means used by the killers to commit a violent crime, right now nobody seems interested in talking about how to prevent further terrorist attacks or about the attackers themselves, rather the focus is on whether the victims were bad people, while making half-hearted concessions that "what happened was bad". It seems that the fact twelve people were murdered is secondary to the fact that I don't agree with some cartoons. It's like making a breaking news story about the fact that some kids at Columbine had failing grades instead of about the shooting, its roots and implications.

Actually it's more like making a breaking news story about whether or not some kids at Columbine were reacting to a bullying environment and what do you know, that was a major conversation that happened after that massacre! Turns out that they weren't, but the conversation about effects of bullying on unstable students still happened without a bunch of angry yelling about "victim blaming" because it was considered important to discuss a potentially toxic environment that leads to deplorable violence.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Stultus Maximus posted:

Actually it's more like making a breaking news story about whether or not some kids at Columbine were reacting to a bullying environment and what do you know, that was a major conversation that happened after that massacre! Turns out that they weren't, but the conversation about effects of bullying on unstable students still happened without a bunch of angry yelling about "victim blaming" because it was considered important to discuss a potentially toxic environment that leads to deplorable violence.

I have real difficulty with the idea that bullying and publishing insulting cartoons are at all equivalent.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

I thought this was a great article on the whole hebdo thing
https://medium.com/@asgharbukhari/charlie-hebdo-this-attack-was-nothing-to-do-with-free-speech-it-was-about-war-26aff1c3e998

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

also lol
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/01/07/after-paris-attack-fox-anchor-suggests-skin-col/202039

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Honest question: How many mainstream satirical publications are published in the US these days? I know of The Onion, and by extension Kelly, but those are basically as simple and inoffensive as you can get.

I'm asking because a lot of americans seem incapable of understanding the concept of political satire, and that is leading to a lot of people taking the Charlie Hebdo cartoons at face value.
Some people seem to try to describe them as a political and left-leaning MAD magazine, so I suppose they are at least going strong still?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

ephex posted:

NO!

Nah, that's actually a super racist depiction of Arab people. Racism is, sadly, the opposite of badass

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Okay, you know what, if one of you finds a Charlie Hebdo cartoon he wants translated/some info on the context just tell me, I'll be glad to help.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

Honest question: How many mainstream satirical publications are published in the US these days? I know of The Onion, and by extension Kelly, but those are basically as simple and inoffensive as you can get.

I'm asking because a lot of americans seem incapable of understanding the concept of political satire, and that is leading to a lot of people taking the Charlie Hebdo cartoons at face value.
Some people seem to try to describe them as a political and left-leaning MAD magazine, so I suppose they are at least going strong still?

Mad is still around and occasionally political, but unfortunately

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

you mean bad article

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

joeburz posted:

you mean bad article

idk enough about this thread to know if you have a bad opinion generally or just this one time

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

albany academy posted:

idk enough about this thread to know if you have a bad opinion generally or just this one time

quote:

White people don’t like to admit it, but those cartoons upheld their prejudice, their racism, their political supremacy, and cut it how you will — images like that upheld a political order built on discrimination.

quote:

Cue some right wing media white dude (or some Zionist) to now accuse me of justifying the murder

quote:

Someone, more powerful than you or I reader, in the political elites has to have the sense to change the mood music of war and hate, re-look at our policies and have the courage to say:

‘Everyone chill out, put the guns down and lets talk’.

This person is either literally twelve or possibly an actual retarded person in the medical sense.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Or some Zionist.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Chomskyan posted:

Nah, that's actually a super racist depiction of Arab people. Racism is, sadly, the opposite of badass

I don't necessarily dispute that it is racist, but any negative caricature of a minority if going to appear at least somewhat racist. It's not an easy line to draw.

This article is poo poo. Ironically racist depictions, made to draw attention to racism, are not racist.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I occasionally doodle people with huge noses and goofy expressions, I guess I uphold the racist combined white-Zionist tyranny.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

I don't necessarily dispute that it is racist, but any negative caricature of a minority if going to appear at least somewhat racist. It's not an easy line to draw.

This article is poo poo. Ironically racist depictions, made to draw attention to racism, are not racist.

I don't really find Hebdo's cartoons to be ironic though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

I think the real issue is the "We are Charlie!" stuff for me. Of course, the enormous tragedy in this case is that people were murdered. Murder is awful. It's the worst thing, literally, that you can do to a person, besides doing something bad to them and then murdering them. It should not happen, not for any reason, least of all that they are drawing cartoons.

But some of the cartoons were bigoted, and I do not feel comfortable identifying in a "We are Charlie!" kind of way with the people who drew them. If someone call Muir's balls off and then forced him to chock on them, I would think this was terrible behavior, which was unwarranted, in the face of pretty much anything, but I could not, under any circumstances say "We are Muir!" because I am about as far as I can be from being him. I would not post his cartoons in defiance of the people who killed him, because they are still bad and hateful cartoons.

A lot of us are being exposed to the cartoons for the first time, which are making us uncomfortable because of the bigotry expressed therein, which is why they are being criticized now, even in the wake of the tragedy. We are not bringing it up because we are blaming the victims, we are bringing it up because we are just now seeing these cartoons, and we have been asked to identify with them, which I, at least, do not, beyond in a generalized and nebulous "free speech" sort of way. There's no government body censoring these cartoons and there never was; there is no need to proliferate them. They have already proliferated in their relevant circles. The people who created them were silenced by hateful, murdering hands, and that is indeed a horrible tragedy, and that they will no longer be able to speak or express themselves through drawing is horrible and sad. Still, that doesn't mean that all of us must needs identify with every point they made so much that we must post it in every corner of the internet, when the views expressed are in fact sometimes not good. It doesn't mean that each criticism blames them for what they are doing.

I openly condemn what happened to Charlie, but I am not Charlie, and I will not identify with the viewpoints expressed by Charlie.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

albany academy posted:

They're explicitly satirical. If you think they mean something else in their heart of hearts, that's on you. Maybe they go too far, but they are at least attempting satire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

albany academy posted:

Well, then that's your problem, isn't it?

Edit: And sheesh, I repeat:

quote:

Honest question: How many mainstream satirical publications are published in the US these days?

• Locked thread