Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I was mostly joking about the tenderloin. I really do recommend south San Francisco/Daly City if you're a wuss. In Oakland, anything near rockridge Bart is swanky, lake Merritt on the northern side is lovely, and there are some nice buildings by MacArthur Bart as well. Ashby Bart in Berkeley is a pretty affordable neighborhood too (south Berkeley, temescal). Don't live west of San Pablo Avenue, south east of Broadway, or anywhere near international blvd.

Don't live in alameda it's boring and the commute sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
Berkley, Oakland, and Alameda look too far away from Redwood City which is where I'd need to commute too. I would really like to live in Berkley but I'd like some time to enjoy it instead of being stuck in traffic. I guess I'm looking at Daly City and Redwood City and everything between those two unless you all think commuting from Berkley or Oakland would be doable?

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.
If you can bart (and you're down to do so), berkeley or Oakland to SF and redwood city is doable. Grab a book or a laptop or something and stay out of traffic. But, depends on your commute tolerance. For context, I used to commute to SF from berkeley and now go to Palo Alto from east Oakland. I get a lot done on my journey but it is for sure not for everyone.

Edit: where bart refers to bart + public transit generally. Also the SF bay LAN thread has a ton of specific discussion on neighborhoods if you haven't been over there.

boberteatskitten fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 8, 2015

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Where's a good place to find a Microwave? I need a new one and I've looked at Target, Home Depot, and Menards (regional home improvement store) and they have like 3 or 4 microwaves in store. If I went to an appliance store would I have more selection? I see Best Buy has a ton apparently in stock too, maybe that's a better choice?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Cheesegod posted:

Berkley, Oakland, and Alameda look too far away from Redwood City which is where I'd need to commute too. I would really like to live in Berkley but I'd like some time to enjoy it instead of being stuck in traffic. I guess I'm looking at Daly City and Redwood City and everything between those two unless you all think commuting from Berkley or Oakland would be doable?
Live south of SF and bart up to berkeley on weekends. Google the transit time to arrive to your job from berkeley then add 30 extra minutes for public transit issues and see if you want to do that every day. I take the bus everywhere (not in SF) and my commute is 45 minutes according to google, in reality is ~75 minutes because buses are late/early/at capacity and skip the stop/break down.

FISHMANPET posted:

Where's a good place to find a Microwave? I need a new one and I've looked at Target, Home Depot, and Menards (regional home improvement store) and they have like 3 or 4 microwaves in store. If I went to an appliance store would I have more selection? I see Best Buy has a ton apparently in stock too, maybe that's a better choice?
Ive found that there is more selection online for target/etc that can ship to store, but aren't stocked locally. Best buy is probably way overpriced. Overstock.com may have some decent options.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

FISHMANPET posted:

You might get more selection from a place that specializes in kitchen stuff, or at least has a bigger kitchen section than Target/etc. Macy's comes to mind. Sears too, surprisingly. (They actually have 10+ microwaves in each of the stores near me, according to their site. The downside is that you have to be inside a Sears.)

But unless you need a microwave immediately, I'd just shop online for one. Better selection, reasonable prices(and free shipping depending on where you buy from), not having to be inside a Best Buy or Sears. It's win-win.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Check The Sweet Home for their online reviews of appliances.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

Costco only has 1 of any product category, but it is far and away the best in that category and at a price 30% less than you'd find anything similar elsewhere.

Between this and amazon.com "sort by popularity", I buy 90% of everything I own from socks to TVs at one of those two places.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I ended up just looking at the #1 best selling Microwave on Amazon, saw that I could get it cheaper at Target with my Red Card, and just went and grabbed. I did actually need a microwave ASAP so it worked out well.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Moving to a small studio in a few weeks, down from a pretty spacious 2br, and I'm looking for a decent comfortable futon. Does such a thing exist?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I have a memory foam futon that is really no different than a memory foam bed. Got mine on craigslist for $100 but I assume they're available new as well.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I live in what is effectively a duplex (my roommates and I treat it as a 4-bedroom house rather than a duplex with two two-bedroom units) with propane or natural gas (I'm not sure which). We have baseboard heating. The heat in my room (and seemingly only my room) is way too high; even turning down the thermostat all the way, my room feels like it's hitting high 70s-low 80s temperatures. Is there a simple way for me to hunt down the problem, or is this a "call the landlord" situation? Is my heating just on a different thermostat or something?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
My apartment has baseboard heating and each heater has its own little knob to adjust the temperature.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Thanatosian posted:

I live in what is effectively a duplex (my roommates and I treat it as a 4-bedroom house rather than a duplex with two two-bedroom units) with propane or natural gas (I'm not sure which). We have baseboard heating. The heat in my room (and seemingly only my room) is way too high; even turning down the thermostat all the way, my room feels like it's hitting high 70s-low 80s temperatures. Is there a simple way for me to hunt down the problem, or is this a "call the landlord" situation? Is my heating just on a different thermostat or something?

Do you keep your door closed all the time? We had a problem with super uneven heating in our apartment and leaving all the doors open as much as possible to increase circulation helped a lot.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ladyweapon posted:

My apartment has baseboard heating and each heater has its own little knob to adjust the temperature.

If this is the case here, it is well-hidden.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Do you keep your door closed all the time? We had a problem with super uneven heating in our apartment and leaving all the doors open as much as possible to increase circulation helped a lot.
I don't, and when I do close my door, it does heat up a bit more, but it's just going from bad to worse. As time has been going on, I've been leaving it closed more and more, just so that I'm not cooling off the rest of the house when I have my window open in 35-degree weather.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
you probably have a boiler somewhere that makes hot water, then that hot water circulates through the house to various baseboard heaters. There are various thermostats, and when you crank one of them up, it opens the valve to run hot water through the baseboards in that room. when that room warms up the thermostat clicks the valve closed and the water in the room cools to room temperature and no more hot water enters.

You either have a thermostat in a different room that is cooler, or a baseboard with a stuck valve. You could gently caress with it and close the valve, but... I'd call the landlord.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I want to print up a 6x6 (feet) vinyl with a world map on it. I found a service that will print the vinyl but I need to provide them with the image (raster?) of the map.

Is there any resource online that would provide anything like that? I'm willing to pay a reasonable price if necessary.

This is for a 5 year old so ideally the map would be something kid friendly (big names/flags, etc).

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I want to print up a 6x6 (feet) vinyl with a world map on it. I found a service that will print the vinyl but I need to provide them with the image (raster?) of the map.

Is there any resource online that would provide anything like that? I'm willing to pay a reasonable price if necessary.

This is for a 5 year old so ideally the map would be something kid friendly (big names/flags, etc).

You could post a thread in SA-Mart, there several graphic artists who pick up little jobs like that through there. You can use a raster only if the original image is 6x6 or larger, otherwise you'll need it converted to vector to be able to scale without it getting pixely.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
What you are looking for is more or less custom cartography, and it is very expensive.

That said, you could buy a world map on Amazon.com that is 5' wide for $6. A little elbow grease would get it laminated.

6x6 is square, and the world, while not round, is generally presented in a rectangle. Is there a particular part of the world you wanted to focus on?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

What you are looking for is more or less custom cartography, and it is very expensive.

That said, you could buy a world map on Amazon.com that is 5' wide for $6. A little elbow grease would get it laminated.

6x6 is square, and the world, while not round, is generally presented in a rectangle. Is there a particular part of the world you wanted to focus on?

Oh, 6x6 was just a reference size. It just needs to be big enough so that my nephew can draw on it and make annotations and stuff like that (he's super into countries, flags, etc.).

Honestly, now that I think about it 6 feet might be too big since he's only about 3 feet tall himself

An Amazon map could work, but I need something that I can wash a marker off, which is why I thought of vinyl.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Your cheapest option would be one off Amazon then taking it to get laminated at a place like Fedex Office or something.

Don't take it to Staples because their print/publish people are universally terrible at following directions and using their machinery.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Honestly, now that I think about it 6 feet might be too big since he's only about 3 feet tall himself

An Amazon map could work, but I need something that I can wash a marker off, which is why I thought of vinyl.
$6 Amazon.com map and a couple rolls of contact paper to cover it with, then you could use dry erase or wet erase markers on it.

Generally actual lamination is done by putting something through a laminating machine which is generally 12" or 18" wide, you'll never get a map through there - gonna have to think outside the box.

You could also mount it (on the wall?) and put a piece of plexi over it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
http://www.amazon.com/Rand-McNally-...asin=B00FZYRSOW
Already laminated and everything.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Goons, I need to buy a new mattress. I am looking for a king size mattress but I know nothing of mattress brands. What are some of the best mattress brands?

e: budget is a factor but I'd say quality and longevity is more important.

I bought a no-name mattress off of Amazon and it was like the price of the cheapest crap at the furniture store but built like the expensive ones. I'm really happy with it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006L8P48S/

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Goons, I need to buy a new mattress. I am looking for a king size mattress but I know nothing of mattress brands. What are some of the best mattress brands?

e: budget is a factor but I'd say quality and longevity is more important.

This is going to sound silly, but I got one of these a couple months ago and it's spectacular
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005A4OP8Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Threw a $60 mattress pad on it and it's super comfy.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
WIN.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Hypnolobster posted:

This is going to sound silly, but I got one of these a couple months ago and it's spectacular
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005A4OP8Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Threw a $60 mattress pad on it and it's super comfy.

Buying a mattress online seems vaguely crazy but I had great results too.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I can go one step worse than that, my dad outfitted the bunk room at his lake house with mattresses from overstock.com. $250/ea. I made fun of him mercilessly.

Best mattress I've ever slept on.

I was too chicken to try it for my own house. Bought mine from Costco.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
For that price you can just throw it away if you don't like it, man.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Yeah, it's been a good experience.
I was going to get a Tuft and Needle or Casper, but this thing hasn't let me down yet. Stupid comfy and it was fun to unpack.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
I've posted here once before, but multiple changes of plans has me asking brand new questions.

My boyfriend, who lives in my home state of Louisiana, and I will be moving to coastal NC together in mid-August. We gave each other a decent stretch of time to tie up loose ends, exhaust every opportunity to secure jobs and, my second biggest priority, save money. If there's anything I'm absolutely paranoid of, it's immediately being destitute because of the move and also not having a job by the time we get there. But the somewhat generous spread of time has caused some pacing issues since neither of us have too much experience with moving and renting.

Between now and August, when should I (because I'm the one who lives in NC) actually be touring places? We have a list of places that we're interested in, but setting tours now feels like jumping the gun in a huge way. There's no way to guarantee there'll be vacancies by August. Would July work, or should we go the way of bumming in an extended stay for a couple of weeks in August while we tour places together?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Most places won't know if they'll have vacancies more than 30 days out since tenants have to give them a 30 day notice before they move. Anything sooner than that won't get you much. You could do tours of model units to narrow down your list between now and mid-July, but you definitely won't be signing any leases.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I would look at places now so you know, generally, what you can get for your money in the price range you're looking at.

I would be honest with the landlord about your time frame, I think most folks won't have plans that far out, but sometimes I get a tenant who tells me when they move in that they're graduating on x date and plan to move at the end of that month, and that month is 18 months from now. Actually that happens regularly, and if you were looking at a different unit and mentioned it, I'd give you preference on an apartment avail in 6 months.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

MNSNTZR posted:

Between now and August, when should I (because I'm the one who lives in NC) actually be touring places? We have a list of places that we're interested in, but setting tours now feels like jumping the gun in a huge way. There's no way to guarantee there'll be vacancies by August. Would July work, or should we go the way of bumming in an extended stay for a couple of weeks in August while we tour places together?
I'd be looking at places now if only for the fact that it gives you ample time to compare. They might not have vacancies in August, but you'll be able to make a list of what Complex A has, what Complex B has, how much rent is, how many square feet, utilities you'll be responsible for (water/sewer/etc), potential deal breakers (super old appliances, longer commute than preferred, no laundry on site/expensive/few machines, etc). In July would be the time I'd swing through the neighborhood on a Friday/Saturday night if you didn't know it very well. If you're in a time-crunch to find a place, you're generally going to take what you can get rather than finding a place you like. Coming home to an apartment I didn't like made it harder to chill out, but that might just be a me-thing v:shobon:v

photomikey posted:

I would be honest with the landlord about your time frame, I think most folks won't have plans that far out, but sometimes I get a tenant who tells me when they move in that they're graduating on x date and plan to move at the end of that month, and that month is 18 months from now. Actually that happens regularly, and if you were looking at a different unit and mentioned it, I'd give you preference on an apartment avail in 6 months.
I don't know if it's incredibly common, but a lot of big complexes here have a notification system for available apartments based on the move in date provided.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm planning on moving out of my place next week, I rent a single room in someone else's house (who is renting rooms out to 8 other people). Now, my landlord told me that I am required, before I leave, to hire a professional to clean the carpet. I cannot rent a carpet cleaner and do it myself, no I need to hire someone to do it.

Do I have to actually do this? It feels extremely scummy that I have to hire someone with my own money to shampoo the carpet. And my carpet isn't even bad, I haven't spilt anything in this room, its just some arbitrary thing the landlord has demanded. Is there some legal thing if they try to withhold my safety deposit for telling them I'm not going to spend my money to give them a free carpet cleaning? Not only that but I can't even find anyone who will clean just my room, I have to pay cost of 3 room cleanings so I'm either paying 60 bucks to get my one room clean or hoping I can convince 2 others to divide the cost, its still scummy as gently caress that the landlord is going to get 3 rooms cleaned for free.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Leal posted:

I'm planning on moving out of my place next week, I rent a single room in someone else's house (who is renting rooms out to 8 other people). Now, my landlord told me that I am required, before I leave, to hire a professional to clean the carpet. I cannot rent a carpet cleaner and do it myself, no I need to hire someone to do it.

Do I have to actually do this? It feels extremely scummy that I have to hire someone with my own money to shampoo the carpet. And my carpet isn't even bad, I haven't spilt anything in this room, its just some arbitrary thing the landlord has demanded. Is there some legal thing if they try to withhold my safety deposit for telling them I'm not going to spend my money to give them a free carpet cleaning? Not only that but I can't even find anyone who will clean just my room, I have to pay cost of 3 room cleanings so I'm either paying 60 bucks to get my one room clean or hoping I can convince 2 others to divide the cost, its still scummy as gently caress that the landlord is going to get 3 rooms cleaned for free.

Yeah, most carpet cleaners charge for three "zones" and it's pretty bullshit for a small place. If the landlord isn't present, I'd just rent a Rug Doctor and print up a fake invoice because gently caress em'.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Leal posted:

What does your lease say?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ladyweapon posted:

This is the question that matters.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ladyweapon posted:

I'm.. having some issue finding it. I'm still disorganized at the moment but I did some looking around and apparently I can only be charged to make the room look as good as when I moved in

I'd like to say the carpets are as clean as when I first moved in, but I didn't take pictures of the room when I first moved in (I pretty much had nothing to my name, my cell had its camera lens damaged which would of been my only photo taking option at the time). I guess it will be a case of my word vs theirs.

:sigh: I hope I can find my lease and see if I can get out of this, or see if I can convince 2 others to split the cost and clean their rooms as well.

Leal fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
If your landlord states it's a requirement, then I'm sure they'll be glad to provide a copy of your signed lease which would show where it is a requirement. Ask them for a copy of your lease.