Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tenzarin posted:

How would I know she had downs, they never tell you that on the show.

Because it's actually pretty loving easy to tell when someone has loving Down's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Way to judge people! Dandy is nuts, somehow they wrap this up in 2 episodes.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

In my dreams, Dandy teams up with Neil Patrick Harris and they start their own show.

EDIT: Ah, poo poo, Elsa's gonna kill Dell.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

Tenzarin posted:

How would I know she had downs, they never tell you that on the show.

If you looked up her bio on IMDB (if you remembered her character name, Addie in S1, Nan (?) in S3), I'm pretty sure it mentions that. Also, if you have ever seen a person with Down's Syndrome, they have pretty distinctive facial features. I knew immediately the first time I saw the character.

Content: Oh God, Ma Petite. :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cool, that guy was a loving rear end in a top hat anyhow.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
That's all I needed to hear :commissar:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

RIP best part of the Sons of Anarchy finale

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Axe man gives jimmy new hands so he can pump gas!

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Did I just see the Axeman in the preview for next week?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
This show is loving retarded.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Bet he gets dells hands, goes with he wanted to help his son live a normal live even though hes dead but the idea counts. It also makes sense how he was so pissed at birth to be basically the only one in his family to skip his lobster hand fate. Also why he left bearded lady cause he wanted to run away again.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I really have to question the logic of killing someone in their own traielr while the police are searching the grounds and monitoring the freaks for signs of suspicious behavior.

And how exactly did they get Ma Petite's body from the Mueller Museum?

fullroundaction posted:

Well, yes, but it's still slightly entertaining. better than Coven.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 8, 2015

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

fullroundaction posted:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Alright, how in the gently caress are they gonna resolve all of this nonsense in just two episodes?

e: I don't even know what in the hell they're going to do for season 5, but here's what I would want. Anyone remember the Murder House website where it had interactive exhibits that had the aftermath of various deaths and crimes? I'd love for a semi-anthology series that's just back in the Murder House and going over the deaths of previous occupants, like the man and woman killed during bondage play in the 1980s or the crazy little boy in the 50s.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 8, 2015

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Uh, I didn't watch it. What happened?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Tired Moritz posted:

Uh, I didn't watch it. What happened?

Do I spoiler? I'll spoiler just in case.

Chiklis is dead.

NPH is the new owner of the Freak Show, magic act, and has sex with the twins. He also has a war backstory and a crazy obsession with his ventriloquist doll. Lobster Boy got his hands chopped off in prison.

Or to put it more accurately

fullroundaction posted:

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

has a guest actor ever been more wasted?

I guess the term isn't guest. one-season-only actor?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

The fact that I'm not sure which character you're referring too is a pretty bad sign.

This season got kind of boring after the Halloween episodes.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Tailored Sauce posted:

Do I spoiler? I'll spoiler just in case.

Chiklis is dead.

NPH is the new owner of the Freak Show, magic act, and has sex with the twins. He also has a war backstory and a crazy obsession with his ventriloquist doll. Lobster Boy got his hands chopped off in prison.

I stopped watching after lobster boy went to jail. I feel bad for abandoning a show but wow.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

QuoProQuid posted:

They are switching roles. The implication I got from their opening monologue is that Dot is becoming more hedonistic and obsessed with pleasure, while her sister is becoming more cynical and unhappy with her life at the Freak Show. Dot is the one pushing the promiscuity whereas Bette is just going along with the whole thing for her sister's sake. If this switch is intended, I don't think it is being handled well. It would, however, explain the head-switching in the opening, which Murphy claims is symbolic.

EDIT: I don't think it's the case, but did that last scene imply that the twins had been murdered?

I didn't get this at all. Before this Dot's life had been hamstrung by her inability to cope with her condition. It was only after she had a major breakthrough and connect with her sister that she was able to let go of a lot of the issues weighing her down and start to enjoy life. Dot isn't so much hedonistic as she is liberated and wanting to explore life to the fullest, something she felt was impossible for her beforehand.

I really don't see how Bette is getting more cynical. She's more like an innocent schoolgirl more than anything: she titters and giggles about masturbation, has these girlish fantasies of living in luxury, and now that she's actually stepping up to the game to get deflowered she's realized she doesn't know quite as much as she does. She's just a little bit naive.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I don't really have an issue with the twin's characterization this episode. This was certainly something they were building toward. Dot finally got over her desire to lop off her sister in the episodes leading up to this one and now they are both fully embracing their life as who they are. Since they have reconciled with each other, the idea is to move forward now and start getting life experiences they would have had if they were 'normal.'

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

I find it funny that they used a contortionist for the sawing a woman in half routine when they actually have a woman who is missing half her body.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Highly Unnecessary posted:

I find it funny that they used a contortionist for the sawing a woman in half routine when they actually have a woman who is missing half her body.

I don't think you get the illusion.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Eh, I continue to enjoy the show, although the plot is a total mess at this point. I'm excited to see Murphy try (and fail) to tie all of these strings together.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Highly Unnecessary posted:

How would she walk up to the stage? I actually thought that it was the half lady when they did he act, I was thinking how in the hell did they make her bottom half. I wouldn't say this ending is one of the first to be rushed, since all seasons have had a rushed ending.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Dot and Bette don't have that telepathy thing with each other anymore, anyone else remember when that kind of disappeared? At first I thought it was an every thought type thing, but maybe it's a conscious decision to hold a conversation? They've schemed against each other enough that it doesn't make sense if they could always hear each other's thoughts.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Grem posted:

Dot and Bette don't have that telepathy thing with each other anymore, anyone else remember when that kind of disappeared? At first I thought it was an every thought type thing, but maybe it's a conscious decision to hold a conversation? They've schemed against each other enough that it doesn't make sense if they could always hear each other's thoughts.

They still do that.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Whoa, they do that in the last episode! I think I meant to say it's weird that it just came back out of being pretty implausible that it was a thing, but got distracted.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

By the way, I think it's a conscious decision because otherwise they wouldn't be able to keep any secrets from each other and having secret diaries would make no sense.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Just watched this week's episode and can honestly say it wasn't garbage!!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There was almost no one talking during the show, so I doubt they could pay attention.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

fullroundaction posted:

"American Horror Story: Watch the first 2 seasons, the title sequence of Coven, and the first 2-3 episodes of Freak Show" would be more useful to people casually browsing through TVIV / this thread.

Thanks. That's all I needed.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I love NPH in everything, even in this terrible show.

He has the best wink.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

Aye Doc posted:

has a guest actor ever been more wasted?

I guess the term isn't guest. one-season-only actor?

If you're referring to NPH, I'd say yes. Matt Bomer was far more wasted this season. Sometimes I forget he was even on the show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Holy poo poo Larry's kids :stonk:

This show has a fantastic goddamn makeup department.

Edit: HOLY gently caress! HOLY gently caress!

Edit2: Hahahahaha the ghosts are not loving around with this new family, Jesus Christ.

And that's Murder House done. I gotta say, I enjoyed it a lot. It managed to stay interesting the entire way through. This was the promise I saw in Freak Show's first episode. This is where all that was. And if you're telling me that Asylum is better, then I cannot wait!

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 10, 2015

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I started watching Coven just to give it a fair go. Who knows? I've liked horrible things in the past on the merit that they're entertaining. But no, it wasn't. Big surprise right? I rarely ever drop shows cause I don't like them , and I could only go halfway through episode three before I shut it off. It's not getting any better.

It had me asking questions, questions like: Why didn't Zoe bring Misty to the school or at least mention that she's alive? Why is Madison acting like such a bitch in situations where it obviously doesn't call for it? Why is Fiona insulting the voodoo lady when she desperately needs something from her? Why is no one teaching at this school? Why didn't they write LaLaurie as a witch? Was she just the morality tale about old school racism we all needed?

Other highlights include:
-They just jump straight into "Yer a witch, Zoe Potter" and she's whisked off to the premise in under 5 minutes after bad narration that's never used again
-"We get it you're a clairvoyant." and "Bitch I'm a human voodoo doll." are some of the clumsiest character introductions I've ever seen. Was the series so action packed they couldn't slow it down and give proper introductions?
-There's no horror. At all. It's more Passions than Blair Witch.
-"La la lala lala...La la lala lala..." ad infinitum

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MrSlam posted:

-"La la lala lala...La la lala lala..." ad infinitum

I laughed so hard every single time that loving refrain started up, even during scenes that they intended you to take seriously.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Misty was hands-down the most interesting character in Coven and without a doubt she had the shittiest, most pointless death. Trapped in a hell-memory of biology class and poof, she turns to ashes? I know the writers realized that they had to get rid of a character who could bring any other character back to life if there was going to be any kind of dramatic tension for the finale but that was a weak, disappointing cop-out.

also

King Vidiot posted:

I laughed so hard every single time that loving refrain started up, even during scenes that they intended you to take seriously.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
Guy I've been dating told me Coven is his favorite so far and now I'm like dear good what have I got myself into :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I thought they were doing a fakeout with Jimy and his hands. I was wrong. Instead they put a guy they think is a mass murderer into an ambulance with the driver and some shmuck they don't know from Adam and don't follow them to the hospital. Before ditching him at the hospital they lop off both hands and no one seems to have poo poo to say about it. Like I can get behind the notion that if its not necessary to the emotional storyline (such as itis) why loving bother showing it but given that its so improbable it seems relevant. Otherwise ordinary Joe (me) is sitting there thinking loving really? That's what you've got for us.

Also Vic Mackey dead like that. I'd say why bother having him if he's going to be that irrelevant in general but I dunno. I guess they had some idea and then ditched it and then he became inconvenient somewhere else in the new storyline. Elsewhere in the forum I read that the Heroes series after 1 were written on the fly almost. Like episode 2 guy had no idea what episode 10 guy wanted and episode 10 guy had no idea what 14 wanted so it all just went to incoherent poo poo. Freakshow feels like that. Some special writer got a 2 parter though. And Mordrake sucked.

• Locked thread