Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Because a party was going on and Vegeta was the only one who was separated from them on top of being the only one who has some familiarity with Beerus and galactic customs.

Also because he was by far the most likely one to gently caress it up otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Beef Waifu posted:

Because a party was going on and Vegeta was the only one who was separated from them on top of being the only one who has some familiarity with Beerus and galactic customs.

Yeah I kinda forgot he had known about him.. I still think keeping Piccolo in the loop would have been funny, they'd be tripping over each other trying to keep poo poo calm.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm working my way through the early Rid Ribbon Army arc of the Dragon Ball anime, and it's pretty great. I love how the anime spends several episodes building Colonel Silver as this badass guy that could defeat anybody, and then when he finally fights Goku he gets taken down in classic comedic Toriyama fashion. "That kid kicks like a donkey!" might be my favorite line so far in the dub.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Raxivace posted:

Raditz's attacks being named after days of the week made no sense to me.

"DOUBLE SUNDAY!" "SATURDAY CRUSH!"

Radditz is secretly Solomon Grundy? :shrug:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
All this time, I thought they were frozen treats for attacks.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

DBM chat - part of me thinks that Buu had a piece of goo on Broly when he was sent back to his dimension. If Buu got to him there, he'd be totally unopposed, then he could use that scream thing Kid Buu uses to jump back to the tournament universe.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

MastG posted:

I'd love it if they cleaned up the visuals since the show is almost 30 years old. Also I kind of disagree with you on the pacing, General Blue's part dragged on for way too long.

This, exactly. It's like fifteen episodes between General White and Tao Pai Pai showing up. Way too long.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mordaedil posted:

All this time, I thought they were frozen treats for attacks.

On the topic of attack names, I'll never get over Ginyu's signature attack being called Milky Cannon.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

On the topic of attack names, I'll never get over Ginyu's signature attack being called Milky Cannon.

I mean, it makes sense since the entire Ginyu Force are named after milk products. Probably should've gone for "Galactic Cannon" though for a more appropriate name while maintainong the pun.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

New Leaf posted:

DBM chat - part of me thinks that Buu had a piece of goo on Broly when he was sent back to his dimension. If Buu got to him there, he'd be totally unopposed, then he could use that scream thing Kid Buu uses to jump back to the tournament universe.

Nah. Buu's already second in strength only to Vegito, and even Vegito couldn't finish Broly off. I don't see why Buu would even pretend to still give a poo poo about the rules if he'd absorbed Broly.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress Broly

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

That's gonna be my DBXV Saiyan's name.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Raditz's attacks being named after days of the week made no sense to me.

"DOUBLE SUNDAY!" "SATURDAY CRUSH!"

Some people just aren't as good as Piccolo/Nail at naming attacks, okay? :saddowns:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dragon_pamcake posted:

Some people just aren't as good as Piccolo/Nail at naming attacks, okay? :saddowns:
the best attack names are frieza's because he just puts the word 'death' in front of whatever the attack is

death beam
death wave
death ball
death bullet
death comet
death bomb
death storm
death raid
death cannon
death saucer
death cannon

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Endorph posted:

the best attack names are frieza's because he just puts the word 'death' in front of whatever the attack is

death beam
death wave
death ball
death bullet
death comet
death bomb
death storm
death raid
death cannon
death saucer
death cannon

Frieza's got a space empire to run, he doesn't have time to come up with imaginative names.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

RZApublican posted:

Frieza's got a space empire to run, he doesn't have time to come up with imaginative names.

Freeza Attack 419!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

death beam
death wave
death ball
death bullet
death comet
death bomb
death storm
death raid
death cannon
death saucer
death cannon

There's also the more generic Supernova and You'll Die by my Hand but yeah you make a fine point there.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

HGH posted:

There's also the more generic Supernova and You'll Die by my Hand but yeah you make a fine point there.

They could use a bit more death in their names.

Death Supernova.
Death by my Hand.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I remember there used to be this awesome website in the twilight of the internet which had a list of every attack done in DB and DBZ, and there were a lot of attacks like that. Not so much like "Leave my Daddy Alone", but about 50 different variations of Kamehameha that needed their own entry like "Homing Kamehameha Shot From Feet" (complete with Japanese name) and stuff like that. I can't even imagine trying to find it.

Something like this list, but for every character, and done on an Angelfire website where the background tile was the collected dragon balls: http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_techniques_used_by_Goku
E: Or this http://www.myfavoritegames.com/dragonball-z/info/attacklist/0-b.htm In fact, judging from the entry for Feet Kamehameha, I'm pretty sure someone took that list and added pictures.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 9, 2015

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dragonball games and sites are just.... weird about techniques.

The wiki's page on Kamahameha includes notable Kamahamehas such as The Original Kamahameha, Super Kamehameha, Ultimate Kamehameha, Ultimate Kamehameha (Team Attack), Standing Kamahameha, and Twin Dragon Shot.

Also of note is the Ultimate Kamehameha (Team Attack) page. "For the Super Kamehameha used by Ultimate Gohan, see Ultimate Kamehameha."

What the gently caress.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Don't forget about the Father-Son Kamehameha, the one Gohan used one-handed to take out Cell.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Don't forget about the Father-Son Kamehameha, the one Gohan used one-handed to take out Cell.

But that's a specific event, not a move! It'd be like trunks having a "Chop Freeza in Half" or "Blow King Cold's Guts Out" moves.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Firstborn posted:

E: Or this http://www.myfavoritegames.com/dragonball-z/info/attacklist/0-b.htm In fact, judging from the entry for Feet Kamehameha, I'm pretty sure someone took that list and added pictures.

Between this list and their collection of Dragonball AF fanart, I think this might be my new favorite website.

quote:

Hypnosis
Japanese Name: Yoini Min Min Ken
Other Names: All Good Children Go To Bed Technique
Color: N/A
Type: Other
First Used by: Jackie Chun
Also Used by: N/A
Appears In: Dragonball
Hypnosis - A technique where the user puts their opponent to sleep. The opponent will not wake until the user gives the signal. That is until Jackie Chun uses it on Goku, and Bulma manages to wake him by shouting "Dinner time!"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

But that's a specific event, not a move! It'd be like trunks having a "Chop Freeza in Half" or "Blow King Cold's Guts Out" moves.
Oh, did you mean Shining Sword Attack and God Breaker?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Ah yes, "God Breaker", where he holds his arm straight out and fires a ki blast. Totally unlike when all the other people hold their arms straight out and fire a ki blast.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Firstborn posted:

I remember there used to be this awesome website in the twilight of the internet which had a list of every attack done in DB and DBZ, and there were a lot of attacks like that. Not so much like "Leave my Daddy Alone", but about 50 different variations of Kamehameha that needed their own entry like "Homing Kamehameha Shot From Feet" (complete with Japanese name) and stuff like that. I can't even imagine trying to find it.

Something like this list, but for every character, and done on an Angelfire website where the background tile was the collected dragon balls: http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_techniques_used_by_Goku

I remember that site..."The Ultimate DBZ Information Page" I think it was called. I'm sad that it never got preserved.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Literally every variation of Kamehameha is exactly the same beam, but fired in a different way. I don't think any of them have ever had any different effect when they hit. The only thing that does change is appearance.

You have got to be kidding. :stare:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Like I've said before, these moves having names isn't really that out there. Obviously when people make a DBZ fighting game, they're gonna use iconic scenes from the anime for inspiration for the moves, and then those moves need names. Since those moves now have names, they become part of the series 'canon,' so they can keep the move names consistent across games.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Best DBZ Fansite posted:

» General Blue - One of the high-ranking officers of the Red Ribbon Army. Although he was very strong, he was also gay.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

jivjov posted:

I remember that site..."The Ultimate DBZ Information Page" I think it was called. I'm sad that it never got preserved.

Was that the Greg Werner site? It still exists...in a form where a bunch of the links are broken

http://www.thegrandline.com/dbzinfo/frames.html

Speaking of old websites, I used to love one called DBZ Uncensored that detailed most of the edits from the dubbed TV version. The humor wasn't very good, but the information was pretty detailed. I think he quit after the Freeza saga though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Actually, Toriyama is pretty careful about making ki attacks unique, and determines them with hand positions when doing them. Piccolo's attack when blowing up the moon was the same as one of the ones he used against Goku in the Budokai. Kamehamehas pretty much always zoom forward at ridiculously high speeds and have a detonation point, which is why no one ever aims one at the planet post Saiyan saga (and Gohan was scared of blowing up the planet as a side effect of putting all of his energy into it). The rare times they are "slower" are when they "invent" things like the remote controlled version.

The anime makes things a bit different and more ridiculous and doesn't notice the "rules" like this; but Toriyama was normally pretty specific about "different usages of ki attacks do different things." It's a series that started with EVERY movie being named, even if it was a punch that was "rock" in "rock paper scissors," after all. Even if he stopped naming things, he kept specific motions = specific attacks = specific properties. There are a few random ki attacks, but they normally are shown by people just tossing them like balls or low level soldiers of Freeza just firing things off.

The side books just go to the trouble of naming every single one that he repeats from time to time and didn't bother to. Then, of course, people took it to the next level.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

facebook jihad posted:

Was that the Greg Werner site? It still exists...in a form where a bunch of the links are broken

http://www.thegrandline.com/dbzinfo/frames.html

Speaking of old websites, I used to love one called DBZ Uncensored that detailed most of the edits from the dubbed TV version. The humor wasn't very good, but the information was pretty detailed. I think he quit after the Freeza saga though.

Oh man...thank you so much for this. Instant nostalgia trip!

EDIT: For your next challenge, there was a DBZ site I frequented back in the day that had a black background, lots of sprite art, and a whole bunch of DBZ trivia quizzes, grouped by theme (like Movies, GT, Buu Saga, etc). Know what that one is?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
original do not steal

(This is what Xenoverse was made for. I can't wait for that game.)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Was he though? In the manga when Bulma tries to hit on him and he calls her gross, she thinks the same thing and tells him that she's actually a dude and he reacts with even more scorn.

I think he's just very obsessed with neatness, as seen by him wondering if the water is clean before he dives in, and he executes an officer for picking his nose at his introduction.

I guess people just see it as one interpretation though.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I wonder when TFS is gonna get up to Super Android 13 and the Texandroid.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Darko posted:

Actually, Toriyama is pretty careful about making ki attacks unique, and determines them with hand positions when doing them. Piccolo's attack when blowing up the moon was the same as one of the ones he used against Goku in the Budokai. Kamehamehas pretty much always zoom forward at ridiculously high speeds and have a detonation point, which is why no one ever aims one at the planet post Saiyan saga (and Gohan was scared of blowing up the planet as a side effect of putting all of his energy into it). The rare times they are "slower" are when they "invent" things like the remote controlled version.

The anime makes things a bit different and more ridiculous and doesn't notice the "rules" like this; but Toriyama was normally pretty specific about "different usages of ki attacks do different things." It's a series that started with EVERY movie being named, even if it was a punch that was "rock" in "rock paper scissors," after all. Even if he stopped naming things, he kept specific motions = specific attacks = specific properties. There are a few random ki attacks, but they normally are shown by people just tossing them like balls or low level soldiers of Freeza just firing things off.

The side books just go to the trouble of naming every single one that he repeats from time to time and didn't bother to. Then, of course, people took it to the next level.

The old DBZ paper RPG (besides being completely broken) had such random amounts of detail regarding ki attacks. Like, they made an entire category of ki attackes based soley off the shot Trunks fired at Freeza and Cold to make him jump into his sword attack (the one with all the arm flailing).

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

The old DBZ paper RPG (besides being completely broken) had such random amounts of detail regarding ki attacks. Like, they made an entire category of ki attackes based soley off the shot Trunks fired at Freeza and Cold to make him jump into his sword attack (the one with all the arm flailing).

Is that the one where each power level was a 6 sided die? Because gently caress that game.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Does the stripper from the 21st tournament have unique attack names?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Yes.

Burikko – Ranfan gives someone a loving look and dazzles them. Also, Ranfan shrieks when someone is about to hit her, then hits them when they go to help her.
Heat Fist – She uses air friction to heat her fist and deliver extra damage when punching.
Stripping – Ranfan strips down to her pink panties and pink bra to shock male opponents.
Giant Heart – A giant heart that expands outward, hitting the opponent. Used in Dragon Ball: Origins.
Hearts Spinning – Either pink hearts that spin clockwise around her, or red hearts that spin anticlockwise and more quickly around her. Used in Dragon Ball: Origins.
Small Hearts – One or three hearts that she fires directly at the opponent. Used in Dragon Ball: Origins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

a cartoon duck posted:

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Ranfan

• Locked thread