Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Raenir Salazar posted:

it seems that Scandinavia was pretty peaceful for the most part once they got over they got over their viking phase.

Between the early 17th century and 1721, 25% of all Swedish (including modern Finland and most of the Baltic countries) men died in wars. That's a pretty hefty figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

Of course, the real HARD MODE version of this question is: what if you were a woman? In which case, ... I have no clue.
Depending on the period, Constantinople; depending on how well you could make use of personal connections, one of the Italian city states circa 1600 or earlier. Hope you like living in apartments and paying out the nose for rent. (I'm reading about Venice right now since I'm researching gender stuff in Italy in order to turn one of my anecdotes into an article, and these people also take cabs everywhere, in the form of hired boatmen.)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 8, 2015

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Argas posted:

Studying would be a grueling process because there's a lot of memorization required.

Unless, of course, you happened to know the right people and have a goodly sum of gold available and was living during one of the eras where corruption was more prevalent.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Ensign Expendable posted:

You could always rely on the exotic foreigner angle to weasel your way into a Russian court, maybe you'll end up in one of those Guards units that is so elite and expensive they don't actually get to fight anyone.

You could be one of those very tall people who were abducted from around Europe to be one of Frederick William of Prussia's Grenadiers.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

sullat posted:

Y'all are letting your civilization biases show. Just go back 18000 years or so, find some tribe, make charcoal draw8ngs of dickbutt. Be treated as a wizard, get all the BBQ mammoth you can eat.

Ah yes, back when it's estimated 25-50% of people died violently. The good old days.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Disinterested posted:

You could be one of those very tall people who were abducted from around Europe to be one of Frederick William of Prussia's Grenadiers.

That's actually a thing that happened? I thought Voltaire made it up as a joke about every noble's personal guard consisted of really tall people. Would 6'3" be considered "very tall" in this period?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

That's actually a thing that happened? I thought Voltaire made it up as a joke about every noble's personal guard consisted of really tall people. Would 6'3" be considered "very tall" in this period?

Nope. Frederick William liked them Shaq-sized.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Davin Valkri posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potsdam_Giants

The requirement is about 6'2", so it looks like you barely qualify.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Tomn posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potsdam_Giants

The requirement is about 6'2", so it looks like you barely qualify.

Oh, I thought I remembered the requirement being 6'6". Never mind.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

dublish posted:

Oh, I thought I remembered the requirement being 6'6". Never mind.

It's possible the requirement got kicked up later - that Wikipedia article states that the ORIGINAL required height was six Prussian feet, or about 6'2". Maybe Freddie decided they just had to be bigger later on.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I say peaceful but really its more of which era you think you'd best prosper/survive to reach old age; maybe you can be the best mercenary whose ever merc'd. The original variant actually specified "Where in 1066" but I imagine everyone has their own specific favoured year/area.

As for being a craftsmen I think we're overestimating the difficult or being too narrow in the definition; I just think that *if* you had the skills, and could feasibly start from scratch with whatever you brought with you; suppose skill in metallurgy, masonry, trapping, and woodworking; I think you'd be hypothetically made for life as long as you brought the minimum tools to start up and socialized and traded your way to rising in productivity.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Xotl posted:

The colonials are nowhere near as impressive in the Second World War as they were in the First, oddly enough - something worth a study, I think.

Blaming the British army's problems solely on its leadership is really simplifying the case. Like pretty much every other aspect of their war effort early on, Britain was paying the piper in the desert for a decade of pre-war neglect. They're understaffed, underequipped, and split amongst way too many threatened and potentially threatened fronts. Yes, some of their desert leaders are bad, but some of them are good, too. But early on they lack air superiority, and also have understaffed sigint, mediocre tanks (though it's possible to overstate this: the issues are more with reliability than anything else), an at-times crippling AT-gun shortage, and--what keeps killing them--absolutely wretched all-arms coordination.

Montgomery comes in at the right time to take advantage of enormous improvements throughout the whole army that have been in progress since the war began, combined with a distinct material advantage. In that regard, a lot of his work had already been done for him, not by Wavell and Auchinleck (we tend to get way too big-picture in Desert Campaign discussion and attribute everything to each sides' respective commanders), but by the people who at last managed to get the 6 pounder out in sufficient quantity so that the 25 pounder wasn't forced to switch away from its main role to do a half-assed job at being an AT gun; the people who at last built a large and effective sigint organization that finally handled Ultra and other intel sources rapidly instead of sitting on the info until it was obsolete; the deals that got sufficient Shermans out to the front; the people that established air superiority; those that interpreted and disseminated German doctrine, so that the British better understood what they were up against and how best to counter it, etc. etc.

Montgomery gets a lot of flack, too: his failure to pursue Rommel after 2nd El-Alamein is a constant source of complaints (and to some degree that's fair). But, it's hard to read about a year and a half of Eighth Army's continual failures to win the sort of free-wheeling engagement that the Germans do so well, and then wonder why Montgomery isn't looking to take his tired army on a gently caress-it-and-charge all-out pursuit of the Afrika Korps. You can't know about what happened at Gazala and not be wary of "having the Krauts right where we want them." The Brits had a tightly leashed organization that didn't respond anywhere near as well to battlefield chaos as did the German structures. Their key to victory was making the Germans fight the sort of fixed pounding match that the British have always done so well at. Monty understanding this was significant: knowing your own army's weak spots is an oft-overlooked skill.

Montgomery did pursue the germans, but they where falling back on interior lines of communication, where as montgomery was advancing forward, and didnt want to be without his logistics.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Chamale posted:

Ah yes, back when it's estimated 25-50% of people died violently. The good old days.

Really? I don't know much about what current scholarship says about prehistory. Know of any good books or articles on the subject?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kaal posted:

I don't disagree with your opinion, but it did take me a bit to work out your meaning when you said "Defining the Bradley as roughly 30 tons, with autocannon turret and ATGM capability, etc.", as being the defining characteristics that the Bradley laid out for future IFV types. Perhaps you're being a little bit too brief.

This is probably true, I have to try hard to keep from devolving my internet writing into incoherent collections of acronyms and made-up words because I've basically been ruined as a writer.

Koesj posted:

IFV stuff

I think your issue is more with my word choice than anything. I wasn't meaning to suggest that engineers from Germany or Sweden or wherever went to the UD production line and carefully cloned the superior American technology because they were too dumb build it themselves. Rather, that the Bradley was the first example of the modern heavy IFV that a number of other vehicles wound up following. How their respective militaries/designers arrived at their specific solutions vary pretty significantly but they all wound up being broadly similar to the Bradley. You might say the same about the Centurion or T-54 when it comes to MBTs.

As it relates to the characteristics, I'll explain briefly why these aren't arbitrary and why I used them.

30 ton weight class generally implies the following: universally resistant to small arms and HE shrapnel, selectively resistant to autocannons, crew survivable against a certain percentage of mines, MBT tank shots and/or ATGMs. Tracked with associated mobility advantages, but much heavier sustainment. Classed out of C-130 or rotary lift (this is a pretty big deal), but can do a three vehicle lift in a C-17 (also a big deal). This is in contrast to the ~15 ton vehicles (LAV-25, Stryker, etc), that are C-130 capable and have much lower sustainment requirements but have concurrently lower protection and targeting capabilities (note: the BMP is in this class). Another concern in stability, etc operations is that when you hit around 20 tons on a tracked vehicle you start having to seriously consider the effects of vehicle weight and the tracks on civilian roads. Turreted autocannon implies a substantial upgrade in direct fire capability against anything short of a tank, a more robust targeting capability thanks to the turret, and yet more heightened sustainment requirements. ATGM implications should be fairly clear although obviously not all of these systems use integrated launchers which is an important consideration.

This is all used in projections and planning and whatnot to sort of broadly apply capabilities to given situations. We do the same process with tanks, attack helicopters, light IFVs, infantry carriers, and so on. Basically, we're lazy and we consider all of these used across the US and allies to be roughly analogous to one another. Same goes for future systems except we assume they'll be lighter and faster and better protected and stuff, hahahahahaha. This is one of the reasons why I find the INTENSE internet discussions about "Leopard 2 vs Abrams" or "Tiger vs Apache" to be so amusing as I've been kind of conditioned to think that it really doesn't matter that much.

Re. the MBT discussion, I'm sorry I don't remember what the discussion was but I'd be glad to respond to any thoughts or questions or whatever you might have.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

vuk83 posted:

Montgomery did pursue the germans, but they where falling back on interior lines of communication, where as montgomery was advancing forward, and didnt want to be without his logistics.

You may substitute "immediately and aggressively pursue" if you like; I thought that was obvious.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Xotl posted:

Blaming the British army's problems solely on its leadership is really simplifying the case. Like pretty much every other aspect of their war effort early on, Britain was paying the piper in the desert for a decade of pre-war neglect.

Not just Britain, of course. Just look at the Kasserine Pass...
Learning how to fight a war as a member of a previously peacetime military must inevitably be a hairy learning experience.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

sullat posted:

Really? I don't know much about what current scholarship says about prehistory. Know of any good books or articles on the subject?

Try War Before Civilization by Lawrence Keeley, which is based on archaeology and evidence from present-day non-state societies.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

Today, we're talking about Mafia! No, not the Cosa Nostra, the small island ten miles off the coast of Tanzania. Alex Letyford has a bad day, Enver Pasha runs away, and on Page 5 of the paper, President Poincare prohibits the provision of psychoactive plonk to patriotic poilus.

'The flooding in the Thames valley is apparently receding'

As an Oxonian, good to know some things never change...:shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Fangz posted:

Well, there's the war of 1812 and Britain is in the middle of the Napoleonic wars. I thought we wanted peaceful?

Conscription wasn't a thing during the Napoleonic Wars (assuming you're not a sailor). No need to go get shot if you don't want to. Plus you can speak the language intelligibly and there's an industrial revolution going on which most of us would probably be in a good position to accelerate. Move to Manchester! Run a mill! Exploit the working classes for fun and profit!

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

bewbies posted:

I think your issue is more with my word choice than anything.

Oh sure, but then again your initial post looked a lot like it tried to make an argument about the Bradley being there first and everyone else following it. Because then, specifically, 30t / (to some degree) ATGM / autocannon turret was done by the Marder in 1975 already. In large numbers.

Re: this and our previous discussion about AFVs; I think we're hampered by the professional perspective vs the (armchair) historians' one. I *should* have even less of a dog in these kind of 'fights', but will engage in incessant sophistry about what I'd consider salient points in historical developments. In this case, the obscure and wonkish subject of Cold War armored vehicles and convergences/divergences in their solution sets. What I meant is that your characteristics were arbitrary when pertaining to some kind of conclusion about the Bradley's uniqueness at that particular time, not IFVs in general, approached as a category in hindsight.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

feedmegin posted:

Conscription wasn't a thing during the Napoleonic Wars (assuming you're not a sailor). No need to go get shot if you don't want to. Plus you can speak the language intelligibly and there's an industrial revolution going on which most of us would probably be in a good position to accelerate. Move to Manchester! Run a mill! Exploit the working classes for fun and profit!

Until you get drunk and take the shilling by mistake/trickery and BLAM now you are loving freezing your dick off somewhere along the Spanish/Portuguese frontier.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Koesj posted:

Also, I think that after 1980 the new, fourth, mobilisable company in every PzGrenBtl of the PzGrenBrig (hahahaha eat my German abbreviations!!!) still had their original-sized squads riding in M113s.

It was. The fourth company was meant for giving the battalion or brigade the extra manpower for fighting in forested areas and urban warfare - they had double-size squads compared to the Marder companies. Still one man-portable Milan per squad, though.

Magni fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 8, 2015

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Until you get drunk and take the shilling by mistake/trickery and BLAM now you are loving freezing your dick off somewhere along the Spanish/Portuguese frontier.

Considering even northern Spain in winter doesn't get colder than the UK, i'd be more worried about the consistent hot days. Those would be unusual.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Actually, if you're Jewish the Thirty Years' War would have owned. The Emperor has jurisdiction over all Jews in his territory as a mark of his authority and he prohibited their mistreatment during the war, while because of the belief that all Jews had money all other political entities and every army prohibited their mistreatment as well. And this was enforced. So despite the fact that you would be starving and ill with the rest of the population, you would be less likely than you would have been before to get murdered by some rear end in a top hat for fake reasons, and less likely than your neighbors to get killed by a mercenary. (Depending on how badly your home was affected by war though, you may or may not have been willing to trade the resumption of bigoted violence for peace.)

Edit: Also, nobody I've studied and nobody Peter Burschel or Maren Lorenz has studied either seems to give a poo poo about religious differences, so if you wanted to join an army you could have actual non-Jewish friends and social acceptance.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 9, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

nothing to seehere posted:

Considering even northern Spain in winter doesn't get colder than the UK, i'd be more worried about the consistent hot days. Those would be unusual.

Environment, equipment and duty matter a lot more in regards of how much you freeze your dick off than the actual temperature.

Spain loving sucked in the Napoleonic wars. It's too hot, or it's too cold. It's generally too dusty, but when it's not, it's too muddy. There's never any food. Everyone hates each other.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HEY GAL posted:

Edit: Also, nobody I've studied and nobody Peter Burschel or Maren Lorenz has studied either seems to give a poo poo about religious differences, so if you wanted to join an army you could have actual non-Jewish friends and social acceptance.

Do your guys have any strong opinions about the Ottoman Turks?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PittTheElder posted:

Do your guys have any strong opinions about the Ottoman Turks?
Not that I've heard, but they probably do and some of them have probably fought them at some point. Somewhat later than my period, the Electors of Saxony will become massive weeaboos about the Ottomans (while fighting them), even calling themselves Sultans. Some cultural historian has probably written about this, but it's really funny.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

I say peaceful but really its more of which era you think you'd best prosper/survive to reach old age; maybe you can be the best mercenary whose ever merc'd. The original variant actually specified "Where in 1066" but I imagine everyone has their own specific favoured year/area.

As for being a craftsmen I think we're overestimating the difficult or being too narrow in the definition; I just think that *if* you had the skills, and could feasibly start from scratch with whatever you brought with you; suppose skill in metallurgy, masonry, trapping, and woodworking; I think you'd be hypothetically made for life as long as you brought the minimum tools to start up and socialized and traded your way to rising in productivity.

Assuming you are English/American and can read/write fairly well and otherwise know your sums, your path to prosperity at some point in the past probably depends on the answer to the question "How okay are you with Slavery?"

Lots of people got very rich off the Atlantic trade.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Take some maps and navigation charts and start exploring the world few years before anybody else in Europe. Avoid places with hostile native population. Maybe head straight for China.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
If you're a Hapsburg, do not, I repeat do not, study inheritance. It's better this way.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Even the most glorious kings and emperors of the distant past never got to drink whiskey, smoke a cigarette, eat a burger from McDonalds, poop in a modern flush toilet, or post on the internet. Oh also no matter how peaceful the time is you've still got painful dentistry and the possibility of dying from something very very normal like blood-poisoning if the knife slips while you're cutting some chicken. The past sucked, the future is amazing. We're living in the only time in all of human history where more people die from being fat than from warfare, and that's pretty much the most incredible thing because really no one could have ever foreseen that even just a hundred years ago.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HEY GAL posted:

If you're a Hapsburg, do not, I repeat do not, study inheritance. It's better this way.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Gotta love how the obsession with the purity of "Royal Blood" ends up leading to inbreeding and hemophilia.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

jng2058 posted:

Gotta love how the obsession with the purity of "Royal Blood" ends up leading to inbreeding and hemophilia.
Nah, the Hapsburgs intermarried to secure alliances among themselves. If someone's your uncle and your brother at the same time he's that much more likely not to throw you under the bus when you ask him for help.

Edit: I think hemophilia might have been the one thing they didn't have.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 9, 2015

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

Nah, the Hapsburgs intermarried to secure alliances among themselves. If someone's your uncle and your brother at the same time he's that much more likely not to throw you under the bus when you ask him for help.

Particularly when you are a dynasty split between ruling Austria and Spain.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

Were the Hapsburgs at all aware of the dangers of inbreeding? I'd have thought that animal husbandry was advanced enough at that point that farmers or dog-breeders at least knew better than to inbreed too often. Was that not the case, or did the Hapsburgs just ignore that for whatever reason?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tomn posted:

Were the Hapsburgs at all aware of the dangers of inbreeding? I'd have thought that animal husbandry was advanced enough at that point that farmers or dog-breeders at least knew better than to inbreed too often. Was that not the case, or did the Hapsburgs just ignore that for whatever reason?

They were, but that chart involves lots of cousins marrying over a period of 200 years to get to the end result.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I have no idea when we discovered inbreeding depression, that's a good question.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HEY GAL posted:

I have no idea when we discovered inbreeding depression, that's a good question.

Is that depression in the inbred, depression in those studying it or both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Everyone in European royalty was incredibly consanguineous. This could be very useful for the papacy, since marriages were technically prohibited within certain degrees of consanguinity. Given everyone already was, the Church always had an excuse for not granting permission for a wedding if it wanted it.

• Locked thread