Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

T1g4h posted:

It's so cold here I seriously got told to stay home from work because we're not going to do anything in this weather. Inclement weather yay!

poo poo even my uncle's shop ain't working today. My dad said none of the vac or dump trucks would even start this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

It isn't cold here compared to most of you but it was +4f this morning which is drat cold for Tennessee. TDI battery turned it over a few times but no way in hell was it going to start it. Hooked it up to the V8 battery charger again (928) and it fired right up. Looks like I'll be replacing the battery tonight, have a spare optima in the garage but not sure how healthy it is.

In retrospect I should have just driven the 928 but the lack of working heater would kind of suck. Ordering a new heater control valve before I finish this post, I want that car to have heat in case we get snow to go play in. Fun fact: the Porsche valve is a piece of poo poo, generic ford/chevy/audi/etc one fits and works better.

Poor heat pump ran almost non stop all night to keep the house at 60 degrees. No burst pipes this morning and hoping none when I get home.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

jamal posted:

I think this is what I need, willing to try it myself:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Mo...measp%3DType%26

There is a big blue sticky as hell pad in between the back of the phone and the battery, you need lots of heat to get it to come apart in one piece, I cracked the backplate on mine before I figured that out. Other than that the Moto X isn't hard to disassemble.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Cold weather survival tips for those in the cushy normally-warm south:
Leave taps trickling just a little bit if you are afraid their supply lines will freeze, the constant flow of ~55 degree water from underground piping keeps them open.
Park all your shitcans on hills, a cold battery will run EFI systems fine but probably not the starter, so just bumpstart... problem solved!
Don't do anything silly like put full defrost heat on a windshield right off, it can shatter a marginal windshield from thermal stress.
Oh and your tires are probably hockey pucks, get used to it.

It was 4 here too but goddamn, the windchill was obscene. -20 or -40 or something depending on who you ask. All I saw was BLOODY drat COLD and that was enough info for me.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

It was 4 here too but goddamn, the windchill was obscene. -20 or -40 or something depending on who you ask. All I saw was BLOODY drat COLD and that was enough info for me.

Yeah it was -8°F here this morning and about -28°F with the wind chill. It hurt to breathe :(

The worst part is that it's too cold for salt to melt ice on the roads, so even though it barely snowed here last night, all the roads were still pretty slick.

Not too bad though, compared to last year.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Any one have experience with the walmart car batteries? Might just head there after work and have them swap in a new one since the optima in the garage is likely flat and has been sitting for 6+ months. It's either walmart, advance autoparts or possibly the VW dealer since I get employee price on parts/service.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
My MJ took a few extra cranks to get started this morning.

I'm really not looking forward to PMCSing crapcan mil vehicles Saturday/sunday.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

bolind posted:

Drove behind a Fiat 500L this morning. Holy hell it's huge.

'Murican Fiat. I've seen a few rolling around here with the type of occupants I'd expect to be inside.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

NitroSpazzz posted:

Any one have experience with the walmart car batteries? Might just head there after work and have them swap in a new one since the optima in the garage is likely flat and has been sitting for 6+ months. It's either walmart, advance autoparts or possibly the VW dealer since I get employee price on parts/service.
Advance auto has a 35% off coupon right now and they'll install it for free. Not a bad deal since you said its 4 degrees wherever you are.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I love hammer drilling above my head with no vaccum attachment. My eyes hurt.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Cage posted:

Advance auto has a 35% off coupon right now and they'll install it for free. Not a bad deal since you said its 4 degrees wherever you are.
Perfect, looks like that (max $50) and the $25 rebate drops the price down plenty. Not having to gently caress with it in the cold will also be nice. Wonder if the drat car will start after work, should be up to 25 degrees or so by then.

Nope they won't touch it...gently caress. Fuse box rests on top of the battery so it may take more than 30 minutes means they won't do it.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 8, 2015

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Amazingly enough my car started this morning despite the low single digits, the battery being 5 years old and the massive amount of corrosion on the positive battery terminal, otherwise I was gonna have to test out that theory that you can pop start a car with a 4 hp 22

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
It was -9 degrees here yesterday, and it made me really glad that I moved back to Minneapolis because last winter in North Dakota it was below zero almost every day, and there were a few days where it was -40.

My car is fine, but the jump packs at work are getting a workout.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Cage posted:

Do they install it if it isn't in the engine bay, like in the trunk on my 5-series, or under the rear seat like in my SIL's Bonneville? What about the infamous Dodge Stratus, where you have to remove the wheel and wheel liner to replace the battery?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CornHolio posted:

Do they install it if it isn't in the engine bay, like in the trunk on my 5-series, or under the rear seat like in my SIL's Bonneville? What about the infamous Dodge Stratus, where you have to remove the wheel and wheel liner to replace the battery?

If there is a chance it will take more than 30 minutes they won't. On the golf they won't because a fuse box rests on the battery. You undo one clip and one bolt and it moves out of the way but they won't do it.

Seriously this classifies as may take more than 30 minutes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOtgFFUGdws

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 8, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

NitroSpazzz posted:

Perfect, looks like that (max $50) and the $25 rebate drops the price down plenty. Not having to gently caress with it in the cold will also be nice. Wonder if the drat car will start after work, should be up to 25 degrees or so by then.

Nope they won't touch it...gently caress. Fuse box rests on top of the battery so it may take more than 30 minutes means they won't do it.
Walmart will install batteries not sold by them for $10, so it might still be worth it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It's currently 3F/-16C here in the great state of michigan and jesus loving christ am I miserable. Parking at school was abysmal and I ended up walking a quarter mile to my classroom. Now I have a 3.5hr break until my next class so I came home and am seriously considering callling it a snow day and making hot cocoa and seducing my wife

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Typical Oregon winter here: high in the low 50s, lows in the mid 40s, may or may not be raining at any given moment.

Sucks to live in the... frozen north... I guess? :confuoot:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Day 2191 in Michigan

Grilled cheese and curry ramen for lunch. Temperature outside is 3F with high winds. With humidity and windchill it's -17F. Supplies are low. Moral is low.

Death is certain.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Tusen Takk posted:

It's currently 3F/-16C here in the great state of michigan and jesus loving christ am I miserable. Parking at school was abysmal and I ended up walking a quarter mile to my classroom. Now I have a 3.5hr break until my next class so I came home and am seriously considering callling it a snow day and making hot cocoa and seducing my wife

Overnight temps in Australia getting as low as 15C, it's pretty chilly here too. Going to be 30C-15C for about the next week

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 8, 2015

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Tusen Takk posted:

Death is certain.

Hell yeah, work sucks

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Came out this 11 degree morning to a loving TPMS light. I've gotten two non-fixable flats in the past two months so god loving drat it, I don't want or need another one right now. I hope it's just the cold weather compressing the air in the tires and causing a low reading...sigh.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Was thinking about grilling on the patio tonight. 70 degrees is rough but I think a crisp pale ale will get me through the worst of it.

:v:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Day 2191 in Michigan

Supplies are lower than I thought. One pack of chicken ramen used the last of my curry supplies. Cannot find bread.

Death is near.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The sun is out but it's 0 loving degrees and I actually wanted to run some errands today but gently caress that!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

In this thread: Pussies complaining about the weather where they live, even though it's entirely normal for where they live.

Edit: Just like the weatherman on the news last night "We haven't seen weather this cold since last January." Oh, really? We haven't seen Winter weather since last Winter? Go on...

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

meatpimp posted:

In this thread: Pussies complaining about the weather where they live, even though it's entirely normal for where they live.Conversing.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

meatpimp posted:

In this thread: Pussies complaining about the weather where they live, even though it's entirely normal for where they live.

Edit: Just like the weatherman on the news last night "We haven't seen weather this cold since last January." Oh, really? We haven't seen Winter weather since last Winter? Go on...

-20F with windchill is not normal for Arkansas, thank you very much :colbert:

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Got that Mazda for £730 with 12 months mot. Picking it up may ale a couple days but yay a new car... Ish... To me...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
It's 50 here and I'm putting off working outside until it warms up a little. Supposed to rise another 10 degrees in the next hour, so here's hoping.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

thegasman2000 posted:

Got that Mazda for £730 with 12 months mot. Picking it up may ale a couple days but yay a new car... Ish... To me...

I hope for the best for you but I'm fascinated to find out why it's so cheap.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Neighbors bought a Freelander a few weeks ago.

Its already in the driveway with the hood up.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

I hope for the best for you but I'm fascinated to find out why it's so cheap.
It's a pretty anonymous diesel estate car that's 11 years old. It doesn't strike me as "oh, poo poo, what kind of impending doom makes it so cheap?" territory, just slightly below what you might have to pay because they want to sell it quickly.

cursedshitbox posted:

This should be good.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Burn it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Ain' my problem.

I just hope the bastard doesn't catch me dicking with bikes.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Oh my god, I hope this ends up actually happening.

They shitcanned the Aerovette concept, let this finally be a thing. Hell, call it the Fiero for all I care, just make it happen :allears:

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

cursedshitbox posted:

Ain' my problem.

I just hope the bastard doesn't catch me dicking with bikes.

There is Freelander in my village with the number plate ending in csb makes me thing of you everytime :)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

meatpimp posted:

All those temeratures well below 0C and people wonder why I prefer a place that feels like nuclear fire in summer. Cold? gently caress that!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

It's a pretty anonymous diesel estate car that's 11 years old. It doesn't strike me as "oh, poo poo, what kind of impending doom makes it so cheap?" territory, just slightly below what you might have to pay because they want to sell it quickly.

You're likely right, it's nothing special and should make a good dd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

T1g4h posted:

Oh my god, I hope this ends up actually happening.

They shitcanned the Aerovette concept, let this finally be a thing. Hell, call it the Fiero for all I care, just make it happen :allears:

loving awesome. I'm not a huge fan of the Corverrari render, but the mere idea of something like this coming to fruition gets my pants a little tight.

• Locked thread