Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Is anybody else still waiting on their Black Friday Tylt Vu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I dropped my HTC M7 and the corner of the front plate nearest the user-facing camera separated and bent out a little bit. Also, it's facing that common problem that the model has with the outward-facing camera getting melted and turning super purple. I could ignore either problem but both of them together is aggravating.

Is repair economical? And where should I go for that, if so?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Eikre posted:

I dropped my HTC M7 and the corner of the front plate nearest the user-facing camera separated and bent out a little bit. Also, it's facing that common problem that the model has with the outward-facing camera getting melted and turning super purple. I could ignore either problem but both of them together is aggravating.

Is repair economical? And where should I go for that, if so?

Best places to repair the HTC One:

https://slickdeals.net/f/7579186-32gb-at-t-htc-one-m7-4-7-1080p-no-contract-smartphone-in-black-silver-or-blue-200-free-shipping

https://slickdeals.net/f/7579996-32gb-htc-one-m8-factory-unlocked-smartphone-manufacturer-refurbished-349-99-free-shipping

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rastor posted:

On my Moto X 2014 lollipop is really great, on my Nexus 9 it's good, and on my Nexus 7 2012 it's no good at all.

Well, the N7 2012 is approaching 3 years of lifetime, and it was only a middling SoC in the first place. My iPad 4, which is of the same generation, only with about 2.5 times the computing power isn't doing great under iOS 8 either (although it aged better than the N7 - for 300 € more it better be!). 2012 to 2014 was still a lot of development and improvement in terms of computing power in mobile devices. Only this generation (SD 800/A8 and forward) has it slowed down a lot in favour of better power management.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

My bank's app isn't compatible with my Nexus 6. =(

Seems like this complaint should go in the rooted thread.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I got myself a cheap ($20 AUD from Kogan) QI charger for my N6, this poo poo is magic.

I still want a Tylt Vu or similar eventually but this'll do in the short term - especially with the news of the other wireless power groups merging don't want to be stuck with a $100 brick in the immediate future.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

VodeAndreas posted:

I got myself a cheap ($20 AUD from Kogan) QI charger for my N6, this poo poo is magic.

I still want a Tylt Vu or similar eventually but this'll do in the short term - especially with the news of the other wireless power groups merging don't want to be stuck with a $100 brick in the immediate future.

Are there any alternatives to Qi for wireless charging on the market right now? I didn't even know there were competing standards until the merger announcement.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
My first Android phone, the EVO 4G, had wireless charging via a replacement backplate and USB bridge. It caused a small lump on the bottom, but not a big deal. Most cases even fit - and worked - with it. The charge rate was nothing special, but it worked and it was so loving awesome I couldn't believe wireless charging fell off the face of the planet (with intermittent mentions) until recently.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Decius posted:

Well, the N7 2012 is approaching 3 years of lifetime, and it was only a middling SoC in the first place. My iPad 4, which is of the same generation, only with about 2.5 times the computing power isn't doing great under iOS 8 either (although it aged better than the N7 - for 300 € more it better be!). 2012 to 2014 was still a lot of development and improvement in terms of computing power in mobile devices. Only this generation (SD 800/A8 and forward) has it slowed down a lot in favour of better power management.

The first N7 was from about halfway between the iPad 3 and 4.

While the iPad 4 isn't bad the 3 is pretty much as awful as the N7 these days (bad enough that all our work ones have been retired). This is a bit of an outlier though as the the iPad 2 still works quite well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Decius posted:

Which is why it was not appropriate for Google to update the 2012. They took a perfectly fine device and made it objectively worse.

Of course if they hadn't, people would have complained about not updating it, but Google should have just dealt with it.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

My first Android phone, the EVO 4G, had wireless charging via a replacement backplate and USB bridge. It caused a small lump on the bottom, but not a big deal. Most cases even fit - and worked - with it. The charge rate was nothing special, but it worked and it was so loving awesome I couldn't believe wireless charging fell off the face of the planet (with intermittent mentions) until recently.

It's extremely strange to me that wireless charging isn't commonplace by now. This poo poo is life changing.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Thermopyle posted:

Which is why it was not appropriate for Google to update the 2012. They took a perfectly fine device and made it objectively worse.

Of course if they hadn't, people would have complained about not updating it, but Google should have just dealt with it.

Yeah, they would have caught a lot of poo poo for not updating a ~*nexus*~ device but the 2012 nexus 7 was already dog poo poo slow and had trouble doing simple things like playing music and using chrome without the music skipping, popping, and buzzing before it's 5.0 update.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

nerve posted:

It's extremely strange to me that wireless charging isn't commonplace by now. This poo poo is life changing.

Wait till you get to quick charging, its next level poo poo. My Note 4 charges so fast I don't even really need to wireless charge.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

5436 posted:

Wait till you get to quick charging, its next level poo poo. My Note 4 charges so fast I don't even really need to wireless charge.
Why does the speed matter? Just set it on the wireless charger before you go to sleep.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

butt dickus posted:

Why does the speed matter? Just set it on the wireless charger before you go to sleep.

Cause I don't even need to charge before sleep, I can wake up, put in to quick charge, and take a shower, and im mostly good for the day.

If you take it to an extreme, if your phone charged in 5min, you'd never wirelessly charge (unless it was faster). You'd just plug it in for 5min and go. The faster the charger, the less need for wireless charging.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

5436 posted:

Yeah, I love being able to cram a ton of juice into my battery in just a few minutes. If I had to pick, I'd take quick charging over wireless any day. Luckily, my Turbo has both (and a huge battery).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

To be fair, they've done that before with the Nexus S Jelly Bean update. Man did that kill that device.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

5436 posted:

If it's any consolations, the Blackberry blade chargers are awesome for just about any phone.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Question on Location and battery life.

Turning off Location increases battery life of course. But when turned on, there are three settings (at least on my phone):
- Low which uses GPS only
- Medium which uses GPS and WiFi
- High which uses GPS, WiFi, and cell (presumably doing triangulation based off of the cell towers picked up by the phone)

Each of these settings is sold as increasing the quality (low->high), but does it impact battery life if enabled? Like, I'd think that using High would help decrease battery usage since triangulation should theoretically be sufficient and GPS sucks battery life.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

monster on a stick posted:

Question on Location and battery life.

Turning off Location increases battery life of course. But when turned on, there are three settings (at least on my phone):
- Low which uses GPS only
- Medium which uses GPS and WiFi
- High which uses GPS, WiFi, and cell (presumably doing triangulation based off of the cell towers picked up by the phone)

Each of these settings is sold as increasing the quality (low->high), but does it impact battery life if enabled? Like, I'd think that using High would help decrease battery usage since triangulation should theoretically be sufficient and GPS sucks battery life.
It's just a matter of how precise you want your data to be. It's not like disabling WiFi and cell location disables the radios so there's no impact to battery life choosing one over the other.

For what it's worth I leave everything on all the time and have no complaints but I don't have things like Facebook requesting location data constantly.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

High accuracy.
High accuracy mode uses GPS, Wi-Fi, cellular networks, and other sensors to get the highest-accuracy location for your device. It uses Google's location service to help estimate your location faster and more accurately.

Battery saving.
Battery saving mode estimates your location using low battery-intensive location sources, such as Wi-Fi and cellular networks. It uses Google's location service to help estimate your location faster and more accurately.

Device only.
Device only mode estimates your location using GPS only. It doesn’t use Google's location service to provide location information. This mode may use more battery power and take longer to determine your location.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/3467281?hl=en

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 8, 2015

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

5436 posted:

Oh I've got that too, but there is nothing that can replace the beauty of being able to take my phone on and of the wireless dock when I'm half awake in bed and not worry about the cord.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

nerve posted:

Oh I've got that too, but there is nothing that can replace the beauty of being able to take my phone on and of the wireless dock when I'm half awake in bed and not worry about the cord.

With his/her method you wouldn't even have to worry about the dock.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is there a way to auto upload my phone pics to something useful like google drive instead of google plus.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

peepsalot posted:

Is there a way to auto upload my phone pics to something useful like google drive instead of google plus.

Dunno if there's a way to do it with Drive, but the Dropbox app auto-uploads your photos as normal files.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

peepsalot posted:

Not natively, no. Plenty of apps on the Play Store that do it though.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

repiv posted:

Dunno if there's a way to do it with Drive, but the Dropbox app auto-uploads your photos as normal files.

OneDrive app will do this too.

Disclaimer: I work for MS

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

peepsalot posted:

DropBox, MightyText, OneDrive, and I'm certain others will do this. You can use tasker for just about any service, I'd imagine.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

5436 posted:

Cause I don't even need to charge before sleep, I can wake up, put in to quick charge, and take a shower, and im mostly good for the day.

If you take it to an extreme, if your phone charged in 5min, you'd never wirelessly charge (unless it was faster). You'd just plug it in for 5min and go. The faster the charger, the less need for wireless charging.
Or we can stop arguing and just want both (and a fuckoff huge battery) in our phones. Wireless charging is good, quick charging is good. Doing both would be better. Doing both at the same time (wirelessly quick charging) would be best.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 8, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ilkhan posted:

Or we can stop arguing and just want both (and a fuckoff huge battery) in our phones. Wireless charging is good, quick charging is good. Doing both would be better.

Sorry dude. Whichever my phone has is better.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

peepsalot posted:

I use the imaginatively-titled 'Autosync for Google Drive'. Point it at DCIM on your phone, tell it where to put stuff on Google Drive, maybe fiddle with the network options (upload on wifi/files under 8MB etc) and you're done.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I use Mega for my photo sync, but the current app is sorta janky and the beta app crashes a lot. I prefer it though considering dropbox is 2gb (which is very quickly taken up by photos) and Mega gives you 50gb.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

peepsalot posted:

What's wrong with Google Photos? I agree it's a little clunky, but I'm amazed I can search for stuff like "photos of a bookcase" and it finds pictures of bookcases I took two years ago.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

He probably objects to the part where, even if you are no longer contractually obligated to make your first (if any) Google+ identity match what your mother and the tax bureau call you, things get weird and screwy RE: hangouts/contacts/etc. if you don't, and Google Play/Games gets kinda creepy if you do.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

What's wrong with Google Photos? I agree it's a little clunky, but I'm amazed I can search for stuff like "photos of a bookcase" and it finds pictures of bookcases I took two years ago.
Because 99% of the time my use case: get these images which I just took off my phone and onto imgur so i can put them in a forums post.

And every time I do this it feels like way more of a chore than it should be. If google drive synced my photos to my desktop computer it would save me a couple steps.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

My big gripe about Google Photos backups is that there's no dedicated place to go and see just photos that you had backed-up, nor is there a way to bulk download just those photos. When you go on the web you get your backup stuff plus any dumb thing you've ever posted to G+/Hangouts.

Or rather I've never been able to find a way to do these things, maybe I'm dumb.

On another note: I just got a new set of Sennheiser headphones that are SUPPOSED to be Android compatible but apparently whoops not so with the Moto X for some reason. Is there any way or app that anyone knows of to make a phone recognize a headphones in-line controls?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Actually really dumb question, but does Google Photos auto-post your pics to G+? For some reason I thought that was A Thing which is why I've never used it in case some less... savory photos get dumped onto my G+ account that I never use.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Recently upgraded to the future with a Samsung Galaxy 4s Mini phone. Good news is now I can browse the internet everywhere! (as long as my data plan allows it). The bad news is that I got a few calls from a correctional facility? It's strange since no one (that I know of) is in jail but I do have a free Google Voice number. I just randomly searched for available numbers on the East Coast since it'd be awkward to explain why I have a number from CA when I don't live remotely near there.

Should I be concerned that someone out there (in jail) may or may not have my phone number for some inexplicable reason? Thanks.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

robodex posted:

Actually really dumb question, but does Google Photos auto-post your pics to G+? For some reason I thought that was A Thing which is why I've never used it in case some less... savory photos get dumped onto my G+ account that I never use.

No, your nudes are safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

XIII posted:

No, your nudes are safe.

For now :v:

Just to be 100% sure go and upload them to your Gmail that way you can always have copies at anytime since all that free space has to be useful for something.