Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Oh, if Washington does end up increasing the gas tax, can Oregon follow suit? It could be used to fund transit expansion, which we kind of need at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Hedera Helix posted:

Oh, if Washington does end up increasing the gas tax, can Oregon follow suit? It could be used to fund transit expansion, which we kind of need at the moment.

You don't fund a localized infrastructure improvement with state-wide consumption taxes: "Spokane is not paying for your stupid loving monorail." -Washington State Legislature

edit:

RuanGacho posted:

They, the public passed it, the state then failed to give the local governments the share of the taxes they previously got under the law. The public initiative is pretty much whatiswrongwiththecurrenttaxsystem.txt Because none of the taxes are funding services, and the public feels entitled (rightly I think) to services that help make their lives and and business easier.

But no one wants to pay for it. As I've said before, of the property taxes paid in my city 9% goes to the local government, and the city lost over 13% of it's limited revenue when the law changed thanks to the way that the state government keeps snapping up revenue for itself at every opportunity to cover up their own mismanagement. That is why I disagree with the financial chair's blog, local governments somewhere might be getting more money, (He serves Seattle, maybe there?) but not mine, who only made up for the lost revenue thanks to an unrelated sales tax boon that happened just in time not to cause the city to run at a greater deficit.

The point being is that the law that was passed was built for the state to hold all fees and powers involved, and to involve local municipalities as little as possible. It was a Bad Law (on a local civic level) from birth.

Gerund fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 8, 2015

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Gerund posted:

You don't fund a localized infrastructure improvement with state-wide consumption taxes: "Spokane is not paying for your stupid loving monorail." -Washington State Legislature

edit:

The point being is that the law that was passed was built for the state to hold all fees and powers involved, and to involve local municipalities as little as possible. It was a Bad Law (on a local civic level) from birth.

:agreed:
I just want to express to people that while local governments are fully able to be scummy and corrupt it doesn't hold a candle to the systematic damage a state level government can do, which is probably why anti government types like to capture it the most, it allows the most damage while hiding their own malfeasance from the federal government they try to de-fang.

I just want to build transportation and infrastructure for my fellow citizens damnit :(

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Just kill a member of the state legislature every day until they institute an income tax to pay for schools, etc.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

effectual posted:

Just kill a member of the state legislature every day until they institute an income tax to pay for schools, etc.

Uh.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Seems like WA State's infrastructure projects are going towards tolling to pay for them. The 2nd Narrows bridge, 167 hot lanes, and the 520 floating bridge are all doing that. Tolling - the ultimate libertarian form of taxation. Want to use our roads? Better pay for 'em :smug:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

seiferguy posted:

Seems like WA State's infrastructure projects are going towards tolling to pay for them. The 2nd Narrows bridge, 167 hot lanes, and the 520 floating bridge are all doing that. Tolling - the ultimate libertarian form of taxation. Want to use our roads? Better pay for 'em :smug:

Followed by the Libertarian response from the people: gently caress you, we'll go somewhere else.
Followed by the end-state of all things Libertarian: abject failure and accelerated entropy

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

If the 594 protestors can get away with saying that on the steps of the capital I think we can get away with it on an Internet comedy forum.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hedera Helix posted:

Most of Tri-Met's revenue comes from payroll taxes and passenger fares. I'm not sure if Tri-Met has the power to levy gas taxes. I'm pretty sure the State of Oregon would want any increase in gas tax revenues to go to ODOT and road/bridge repairs.

If you're talking about a non-Trimet transit system, Oregon municipalities have the power to collect their own gas taxes.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

If you're talking about a non-Trimet transit system, Oregon municipalities have the power to collect their own gas taxes.

Something I should know, but don't:
How many of Oregon's transit systems are municipal services, as opposed to special districts?

Salem-Keizer Transit and Lane Transit appear to be independent districts.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

I'm pretty sure the State of Oregon would want any increase in gas tax revenues to go to ODOT and road/bridge repairs.

Eh, there's a lot of repairs that need doing.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Error 404 posted:

Followed by the Libertarian response from the people: gently caress you, we'll go somewhere else.
Followed by the end-state of all things Libertarian: abject failure and accelerated entropy

I fear what's going to happen when the Silicon Valley libertarian elite realize how much nicer it is for them up in the PNW.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I know the common refrain around here is "Oregonians want to keep out the colored folk" but every time I've heard of wanting to keep Californians out I've always imagined it being insufferable white people.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I'm fine with Californians, just keep the Peter Thiels and such down there.

Sadly, they all want to cash in on legal marijuana and will probably be here anyways: http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexkonrad/2015/01/08/the-vcs-and-privateer-betting-on-pot/

Reminder, this is the guy that is taking steroids because he thinks he will live to be 120 years old and wanted to build a Libertarian utopia/playground at sea.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Yeah, I'm actually okay with Californians too, because insufferable white people come from everywhere.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, most of the "migrants" to Portland seem people bitch about seem to be upper middle class mostly white people, a higher degree seem to be coming from back east. Portland and Oregon is growing slowly more diverse but it is from Latinos who have moved, but seem sort of ignored in comparison.

At least Oregon has a income tax.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I know the common refrain around here is "Oregonians want to keep out the colored folk" but every time I've heard of wanting to keep Californians out I've always imagined it being insufferable white people.

Because you either need money or a guaranteed job to move to Oregon.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

With Washington's absurdly regressive tax structure and Seattle's rapid population growth largely from tech companies, we seem poised to become the libertarian capital of the country, sometime in the next decade. I'm terrified.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Ditocoaf posted:

With Washington's absurdly regressive tax structure and Seattle's rapid population growth largely from tech companies, we seem poised to become the libertarian capital of the country, sometime in the next decade. I'm terrified.

Bellevue will be a glorious, gleaming beacon of libertarian ideals. I can't wait until they build giant glittering skyscrapers with names like Fountainhead or Rand Plaza.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

mod sassinator posted:

Bellevue will be a glorious, gleaming beacon of libertarian ideals. I can't wait until they build giant glittering skyscrapers with names like Fountainhead or Rand Plaza.

Glittering skyscrapers connected by dirt roads and slums, truly the definition of libertarian utopia.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
CNN Money tries to answer the question everybody's asking: Why is everybody moving to Oregon?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kaal posted:

Glittering skyscrapers connected by dirt roads and slums, truly the definition of libertarian utopia.

Dubai??

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Kaal posted:

The dirt roads are for the poors / middle class. The true captains of industry will be transported by an elevated monorail system:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIOA6ExOq6c

(that is a real video made by Microsoft with real ideas they had!)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Error 404 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRiy0_PqYx4

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Boy, imagine if lots of tech people worked in the Seattle area. It really would change everything.

I bet it would become a libertarian paradise, just like San Fransisco.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Goddamn. :vince:

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Gerund posted:

If you give it to Seattle, they just throw it down a big hole anyway.

A millionaire's tax needs another go around. Eastern WA win's the most in this scenario, just need to convince them of such.

Self interest should trump group-think, right?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

mod sassinator posted:

The dirt roads are for the poors / middle class. The true captains of industry will be transported by an elevated monorail system:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIOA6ExOq6c

(that is a real video made by Microsoft with real ideas they had!)

I actually personally know the people who are responsible for that video and it was more about pushing the idea of a PRT testbed than anything to do with Microsoft decadence, (other than they could afford it).

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
The idea of a peoplemover isn't really a new thing, though. Wasn't it something of a staple in 60's sci-fi? Even Walt Disney wanted to set one up throughout the original EPCOT (the planned community, not the theme park).

It's not terribly practical in real life, but I like the idea of a public version in the future. It could really only ever work in a congested area like a downtown section of the city, though, unless it was private and set up for something like a campus. I guess the upkeep on that many smaller vehicles could be pretty nightmarish.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Morgantown, WV, has the oldest and largest Personal Rapid Transit system in existence, having opened in 1975, and has a grand total of five stops. It serves the university there and nothing else. When it had an extension, they had to shut down the entire line.

Perhaps making that system more useful to the general population would be a better use of money than building an entirely new, certain to be undersized and overbudget system up here?

edit: also, hopefully the actual Microsoft campus has more sidewalks than the one in the video...

Hedera Helix fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 9, 2015

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

glowing-fish posted:

Something I should know, but don't:
How many of Oregon's transit systems are municipal services, as opposed to special districts?

Salem-Keizer Transit and Lane Transit appear to be independent districts.

Those two and Tri-met have special taxing districts, i believe.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Hedera Helix posted:

edit: also, hopefully the actual Microsoft campus has more sidewalks than the one in the video...

It does. I work there, and I walk everywhere. Although campus-wide PRT would significantly reduce the number of times I almost get killed crossing the street.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

tk posted:

It does. I work there, and I walk everywhere. Although campus-wide PRT would significantly reduce the number of times I almost get killed crossing the street.

Yeah the video was made almost a decade ago now, so no small surprise.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

mod sassinator posted:

Would a condo in one of these buildings charge association dues?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

oxbrain posted:

If the 594 protestors can get away with saying that on the steps of the capital I think we can get away with it on an Internet comedy forum.

I don't think it's really about being able to "get away with it" rather than it is a dumb thing to say. The comedy defense falls flat because it's not even that funny.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

oxbrain posted:

Would a condo in one of these buildings charge association dues?

Oh certainly. It's not that Libertarians actually dislike collective works - they just hate not being allowed to arbitrarily eject people from them. They want to privatize government so that they can be in control of it.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Kaal posted:

Oh certainly. It's not that Libertarians actually dislike collective works - they just hate not being allowed to arbitrarily eject people from them. They want to privatize government so that they can be in control of it.

I feel describing libertarian collective action "arbitrarily" stretches the term. "Xenophobically" or even "racially" hits the mark far more often than not.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Kaal posted:

They want to privatize government so that they can fantasize about being in control of it.
Well, unless you mean the Kochs and crew. In which case they actually will be the oligarchs.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Also heres a pretty map interlude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

FRINGE posted:

Also heres a pretty map interlude.

Cascadia cascades. :geno: