Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Cpt.Americant posted:

So your assumption is that anyone cares enough about Ted Rall to invent a form of time travel just to lay down a burn against Ted Rall?

That's the only explanation that makes sense to Ted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Cpt.Americant posted:

So your assumption is that anyone cares enough about Ted Rall to invent a form of time travel just to lay down a burn against Ted Rall?

What else would you invent time travel for? :confused:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The US government should just pay for Rall to take a trip around the world to meet all the world's leaders.
Then we'd have peace for a generation, as everyone is united in their loathing of him.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

Someone didn't watch Breaking Bad, I take it.

If you're sitting down it's harder to draw your gun if it's on the same side as your dominant hand, so you want to cross-draw instead. At least that's what the TV taught me, I know absolutely nothing about guns :shobon:

The handle is the wrong way round for cross-drawing. I'm sure it's just another Branco idiocy, but this is the least offensive I've seen him.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Could he be... left handed?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'm glad Rall can bring this thread back together.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

alnilam posted:

He's drawing with his right hand, so I'm thinking it's probably a cheat on his part to get the gun in frame.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

alnilam posted:

while drawing with his right hand? Unlikely.

I hate to go for low hanging fruit, but Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Just look at the right leg of the guy on the right. His femur is bent backwards near his hip and his knee is missing.

It's beautiful.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cpt.Americant posted:

I only ever talk about Ted Rall. I was unable to bid on that "I'll buy you dinner deal" he offered, and now I am constantly worried that I will disappear, because I haven't met him and therefore never entered his field of vision.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Cpt.Americant posted:

It got missed by all the glory that is Rall basically being an unironic Kelly, but this is some amazing backhanded victim blaming poo poo. If only they were armed! Because mass shootings never happen in America where everyone's armed. What's that, they literally had an armed guard?

A friend sent a link to me that was, "The killings in France are a sign that gun control has failed." I responded with, "Actually considering that this is shocking and completely unforeseen, it's actually a sign that gun control works."

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Literally the funniest thing I've ever seen in this thread.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Ugh we're such stupid fuckers who can't recognise talent

*literally draws a human being sitting down worse than a second grader*

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

"Draw!"? That's much coming from Catalino.

I totally refuse to believe that Catalino drew that scene without copy-pasting or tracing any elements, but I couldn't find a match in previous Catalino cartoons so the jury is still out... in the meanwhile I did find a bunch of tank cartoons, so let's have a look!

:gifttank::gifttank::gifttank::gifttank:

1. Kind of topical, except I don't know why Obama is chasing the UK mechanized democracy with a knife?

2. That's a fairly good Merkava drawing, actually. Not sure why there should be a chair on top of the turret, though, especially when Merkava can carry passengers inside its hull?

3. Sorry Israel, Obama switched side.

4. Tsk, tsk. Russians don't use rifled cannons in their tanks.

5. Ugh what a terrible design, Bok.

6. That's a really cute mini-Abrams, actually!

7. Hooray, a funny image and a good opinion!

8. Hooray, a... disturbing image and... what the heck?

9. Henry Payne, a known car enthusiast, also loves his tanks.

10. Henry Payne, a known car enthusiast, also loves his tanks.

11. Henry Payne, a known car enthusiast, also loves his tanks.

12. Henry Payne, a known car enthusiast, also loves his tanks.

13. Henry Payne, a known car enthusiast, also loves his tanks.

14. Henry Payne, a known car enthusiast, also loves his... HEY!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Nenonen posted:

5. Ugh what a terrible design, Bok.

Classic Chip "Does this guy even realize what he's arguing?" Bok.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

J_RBG posted:

Kelly I feel is so much less crass there isn't such a danger of its being reappropriated. Your context is not the one that people in the Anglosphere share, and when the photo of an angry Muslim is shared, the crude, offensive, stereotyped drawing of a Muslim is one that sticks out - big noses, brown skin, big bushy beards - it's hardly a devastating critique of an oppressive ideology that people with a sense for social justice should avoid. Instead, it's bound to be popular among the types of people the left shouldn't want to associate with, in the Anglosphere at least. You can rest assured they don't care at all about the nuances of the context of French satire or the actual contents of the magazine. This is why debate and critique of the cartoons is so necessary. The fact that the subtext of the Boko Haram cartoon in particular was completely lost on me doesn't make me deficient at Correct Interpretation, it says their cartoons aren't great vehicles for their message now that the magazine has a lot more exposure, obviously in a way completely unintended and completely undeserved by the cartoonists.

But, now I consider France's history with Muslims, it's hard for me to accept those caricatures exist solely in the context you're pushing here.

Ever seen an Asterix comic? Everybody has big noses in French cartoons and comics. Huge honkers and the One and Only Way to draw noses. Here's some other examples:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cat Mattress posted:

Ever seen an Asterix comic? Everybody has big noses in French cartoons and comics. Huge honkers and the One and Only Way to draw noses. Here's some other examples:

The Gallic nose is big. Big like a pickle, they're still gettin' paid.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's true, I have a big nose.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Noted Frenchman Charles de Gaulle

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

So is he ambidextrous or is he wearing two pistols Yosemite Sam style?

his right hand is his drawing hand but his left hand is his drawin' hand

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I hope that's from the Musée Rodin, because it's very uncanny valley.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Neeksy posted:

Honestly I feel a bit conflicted with the Charlie Hebdo stuff.

Clearly they should not have been murdered over drawing cartoons, and they have the right to publish what they want. But at the same time the cartoons they made were often racist and just downright vile, and elevating their work or allowing the tragedy to make them immune from criticism worries me.

This kind of poo poo becoming the symbol of free speech is a bit gross:

"Hands off our welfare!"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
You've never posted here before, but if you had you'd know that we went through an entire day-long fuckfest about this already and we're mostly done now, dredging it back up isn't necessary

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

loquacius posted:

South Park ain't got poo poo on Colbert

Wilmore really needs to bring his A game.

I'm still pissed they wouldn't let him call it the Minority Report.

albany academy posted:

What do sane people kill for

Love, money, power, a heated argument, and so on. Not every murderer is mentally ill.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

steinrokkan posted:

And still there was the whole #CancelColbert shitshow when somebody on the staff for once used a mildly provocative means to get a point across.

That is exactly what is going on here. People who watched the show knew it was a joke but when it was taken out of context by a bunch of people who don't even know who Stephen Colbert is the whole shitstorm started. Essentially a microcosm of whats going on with all the handwringing over Hedbo. Sure, the cartoons are borderline racist and crude. Welcome to France.

colonel_korn posted:

I wonder if he's aware that the staff had armed police guards with them. Who were also killed.

Not to mention the first police officer killed was a Muslim.

Exhibit A in not getting context.

This is what I was thinking. Show the world you aren't violent murderers by violently murdering cartoonists.

What?

Not the greatest cartoon, but it does have a translated quote from one of the cartoonists killed.

4 Americans killed over a video. 12 French killed over cartoon. At this point, what difference does it make?

Getting a cool stenciled private eye door is a nice perk of being a cartoonist.

Oh boy.

Fuckt Tupp fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 8, 2015

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

I'm glad Rall can bring this thread back together.

The things that we hate unite us far more than the things we believe in divide us. :patriot:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

albany academy posted:

swishers sweets and untaxed cigarettes

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Internet Webguy posted:

Exhibit A in not getting context.

Wow. gently caress whoever that is.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Nenonen posted:

13. Henry Payne, a known car enthusiast, also loves his tanks.

14. Henry Payne, a known car enthusiast, also loves his... HEY!
No war but class war. SMC (Some Marxist Cartoons)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Legit surprised Gorrell didn't use this as an excuse to turn in a blank cartoon.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

albany academy posted:

To have a place in this world and society, free from being the pawns of God and Government. Sane people kill for Outer Heaven.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

I feel like these are both saying the same thing -- "yeah sure big man, it's real easy to practice your free speech when you're packing heat, you loving coward."

The Fraternal Order of Police has a weird dress code.

JT Jag posted:

You've never posted here before, but if you had you'd know that we went through an entire day-long fuckfest about this already and we're mostly done now, dredging it back up isn't necessary

Please, it's too soon for metadiscussion on the derail, let the dust settle first.

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

Cpt.Americant posted:

Ted Rall spotted.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Saint Sputnik posted:

Please, it's too soon for metadiscussion on the derail, let the dust settle first.

Is it meta to say it's too soon to discuss a derail that was largely about if it was too soon to discuss something else?

Basically what XyloJW said:

XyloJW posted:

As much as I hate limiting debates and/or discussions, can people please not do the whole "too soon to discuss [x]" because no one is ever going to come back in a few days later and say "okay, now you may discuss this issue" and also this is a current events thread.

Edit: Though I'm not trying to re-fight that whole argument, just saying "too soon" is a dumb reason to not talk about it. "It made us act like idiots and created several pages of off topic :words:" is probably a better reason.

Cpt.Americant fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 8, 2015

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Saint Sputnik posted:

I'm not saying we deserved a derail, but us Politoons goons are no angels.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Ted Rall is never not a gaping anus, is he? :allears:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

PassTheRemote posted:

while drawing with his right hand? Unlikely.
That's what Leonardo da Vinci did so Branco could just be a modern versiohahahahaha jesus no

Cat Mattress posted:

It's not just a French thing either, big noses are pretty common in cartooning.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Internet Webguy posted:

Not to mention the first police officer killed was a Muslim.

Named Mohammad, no less... :smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Can anybody link me to a source that says Charlie Hebdo's guards where armed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

Ever seen an Asterix comic? Everybody has big noses in French cartoons and comics.

Ha, true. I do remember sometimes that noses differed considerably from the norm if you were foreign, though (although Romans I think often had rounded noses too. Probably because they were drawn more often).

Just looking at that 'if you don't laugh: 1000 lashes' cartoon, though, I just know bigots will use it for bigoted reasons. That nose is suitably pointy and Arab enough to be reappropriated by them, is my point, regardless of the intentions of the cartoonists. The broader point being that this is a Bad Event for many reasons, a long-term one being the fuelling of Islamophobia, which the cartoons will unwittingly play a role in.

• Locked thread