Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah let's overmilitirize our cops, it's not a military state it's a safe state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

albany academy posted:

I don't really find Hebdo's cartoons to be ironic though.

Sorry you're ignorant I guess? Like, they super clearly are satire, said over and over, going to constant absurd lengths to show 'hey we're just loving around guys', and, ya know, when it comes to actually DOING things (vs making lovely blog posts) they've been constantly on the side of minority rights and against oppressive forces.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

albany academy posted:

I don't really find Hebdo's cartoons to be ironic though.

Here, this should help.
:nws:http://o.onionstatic.com/images/18/18053/16x9/700.jpg?1577:nws:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

WitchFetish posted:

Okay, you know what, if one of you finds a Charlie Hebdo cartoon he wants translated/some info on the context just tell me, I'll be glad to help.

I want to know if the Boko Haram one is meant to be satirising daily mail type MUSLIM BENEFIT SCROUNGERS TAKING ARE TAXES stuff, or if it's just a terrible joke

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

idk, i don't really see any sort of platform for saying that a minority that thinks something is racist isn't racist... and saying it's just satire, or they're just sensitive, or people just don't get it (me i guess from your reactions) just seems to lack empathy.

like the kelly comics are very definitely satire, and are very subversive and subtle typically - but hebdo's seem to rely primarily on shock value, and subtext can be easily lost if you're the offended party.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hey uh I don't mean to interrupt the shitstorm or anything but

How exactly can Lester convince himself that Obama is on the attackers' side here? :confused:

Like, I get that every time something bad Obama does a thing it is bad and every time a bad thing happens Obama did it, but this just seems particularly shameless and I have no idea how he or anyone else can swallow it

e: Come to think of it maybe that's just a kid who happens to look a lot like Lester's Obama caricature; he's not wearing a rainbow tie after all :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

steinrokkan posted:

I occasionally doodle people with huge noses and goofy expressions, I guess I uphold the racist combined white-Zionist tyranny.

Great big honkers are also stereotypically French.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Broken Cog posted:

Honest question: How many mainstream satirical publications are published in the US these days?

Besides Mad magazine and The Onion, I can't think of any, but publications themselves are weird not-really-things in modern U.S. media. Much of our satire is televised, with I think South Park as probably the biggest satirical show of the last ten years.

And I find it really amusing that people here on a site that prides itself on its reputation of goatse links and over-the-top trolling are being diffident on whether they would want to be seen as really supporting Charlie Hebdo.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

You disappointed me Kirschen

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Eschers Basement posted:

with I think South Park as probably the biggest satirical show of the last ten years.

South Park ain't got poo poo on Colbert

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

albany academy posted:

idk, i don't really see any sort of platform for saying that a minority that thinks something is racist isn't racist... and saying it's just satire, or they're just sensitive, or people just don't get it (me i guess from your reactions) just seems to lack empathy.

It is possible for minorities (just like everyone else) to misinterpret things from time to time.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Eschers Basement posted:

Besides Mad magazine and The Onion, I can't think of any, but publications themselves are weird not-really-things in modern U.S. media. Much of our satire is televised, with I think South Park as probably the biggest satirical show of the last ten years.

Dont forget the Daily Show/Colbert Report. Americans have never been big on reading so tv shows and stand-up comics have been the most widely consumed cultural commentary at least as far back as the 80's

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

It is possible for minorities (just like everyone else) to misinterpret things from time to time.

i think 'misinterpret' is a bit of an understatement if it leads to 12 people being shot to death imo

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

loquacius posted:

420 Gank Mid posted:

Dont forget the Daily Show/Colbert Report. Americans have never been big on reading so tv shows and stand-up comics have been the most widely consumed cultural commentary at least as far back as the 80's

poo poo, yeah, good point, my bad.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

If Lester wants Obama's response to be Islam sucks and Muslims are dumb and they should all convert to Mike Lester's Rome, GA, Pentecostal Megachurch, then I'm not sure who he expects to ever be President saying that poo poo.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eschers Basement posted:

And I find it really amusing that people here on a site that prides itself on its reputation of goatse links and over-the-top trolling are being diffident on whether they would want to be seen as really supporting Charlie Hebdo.

I do not support the general mentality of the over-the-top trolling phenomenon either though :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

albany academy posted:

i think 'misinterpret' is a bit of an understatement if it leads to 12 people being shot to death imo

I think it's a combination of "misinterpret", "react unacceptably", and "overreact". (It's not like it would have been okay if they'd killed just one person.)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

albany academy posted:

Misinterpretation combined with mental illness. Non-mentally-ill people don't kill over a cartoon.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Even Colbert and Daily Show are just milquetoast, non-offensive shows prepared by a staff of writers. As compared to the author-oriented, non-compromising and unapologetic nature of old satire papers.

And still there was the whole #CancelColbert shitshow when somebody on the staff for once used a mildly provocative means to get a point across.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Does France actually have a decent culture of free speech, or does it just pay lip service to it when it benefits them? Is there an Anjem Choudary type that's currently locked up for using his free speech to say something the government didn't like?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You know, maybe newspapers that aren't printing depictions of Mohammed aren't doing it out of fear or capitulation, but MAYBE because they have readers who are, you know, Muslims? Those people with religious beliefs, the overwhelming majority of whom are not guilty of ideological murder? And maybe just want to read the loving news without having their religious sensibilities offended?

Like, it's fuckin' great that we have free speech and that nobody considers drawing Mohammed to be anything that should be punished in any way, be it fine, jail or extrajudicial murder. But you know what? It's a little bit rude.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mellow Seas posted:

You know, maybe newspapers that aren't printing depictions of Mohammed aren't doing it out of fear or capitulation, but MAYBE because they have readers who are, you know, Muslims? Those people with religious beliefs, the overwhelming majority of whom are not guilty of ideological murder? And maybe just want to read the loving news without having their religious sensibilities offended?

If you require that the news never offend your sensibilities, I think you're doing it wrong.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Eschers Basement posted:

loquacius posted:

420 Gank Mid posted:

Thanks all. I was never big into the Colbert report or the Daily show, as I caught them a couple of times, and they seemed rather America-centric and toothless to me as a foreigner.
The crudeness of South Park is maybe the closest you'd get to the style of Charlie Hebdo, but it's a bit unfair to compare the two, as from what I've heard, the creators of either are on fairly different sides of the political scale.

People should remember that Charlie Hebdo actually is a leftist, anti-racist, anti-authority(including religions) satirical paper.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

Misinterpretation combined with mental illness. Non-mentally-ill people don't kill over a cartoon.

What do sane people kill for

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

prefect posted:

If you require that the news never offend your sensibilities, I think you're doing it wrong.

What does printing a "drawing of Mohammed" (stereotypical Arab guy with the word "Mohammed" next to him) add to the reader's understanding of a story?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mellow Seas posted:

A humorous satire magazine isn't the same as a newspaper. You buy it knowing that you should be offended regardless of your particular conviction.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

steinrokkan posted:

A humorous satire magazine isn't the same as a newspaper. You buy it knowing that you should be offended regardless of your particular conviction.

I'm not talking about Charlie, I'm talking about the "cowardly" American newspapers people have been referencing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mellow Seas posted:

What does printing a "drawing of Mohammed" (stereotypical Arab guy with the word "Mohammed" next to him) add to the reader's understanding of a story?

Because some people got so worked up about the drawing that they flipped out and killed people. I think the reader benefits by seeing what the fuss is about.

My memory isn't perfect, but I could swear they printed pictures of "Piss Christ" when that was a big deal.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

I think the real issue is the "We are Charlie!" stuff for me. Of course, the enormous tragedy in this case is that people were murdered. Murder is awful. It's the worst thing, literally, that you can do to a person, besides doing something bad to them and then murdering them. It should not happen, not for any reason, least of all that they are drawing cartoons.

But some of the cartoons were bigoted, and I do not feel comfortable identifying in a "We are Charlie!" kind of way with the people who drew them. If someone call Muir's balls off and then forced him to chock on them, I would think this was terrible behavior, which was unwarranted, in the face of pretty much anything, but I could not, under any circumstances say "We are Muir!" because I am about as far as I can be from being him. I would not post his cartoons in defiance of the people who killed him, because they are still bad and hateful cartoons.

A lot of us are being exposed to the cartoons for the first time, which are making us uncomfortable because of the bigotry expressed therein, which is why they are being criticized now, even in the wake of the tragedy. We are not bringing it up because we are blaming the victims, we are bringing it up because we are just now seeing these cartoons, and we have been asked to identify with them, which I, at least, do not, beyond in a generalized and nebulous "free speech" sort of way. There's no government body censoring these cartoons and there never was; there is no need to proliferate them. They have already proliferated in their relevant circles. The people who created them were silenced by hateful, murdering hands, and that is indeed a horrible tragedy, and that they will no longer be able to speak or express themselves through drawing is horrible and sad. Still, that doesn't mean that all of us must needs identify with every point they made so much that we must post it in every corner of the internet, when the views expressed are in fact sometimes not good. It doesn't mean that each criticism blames them for what they are doing.

I openly condemn what happened to Charlie, but I am not Charlie, and I will not identify with the viewpoints expressed by Charlie.

Thankfully most people use the neutral images of "We are Charlie" (which don't mean endorsment in the slightest, in my opinion) or the general "pen mightier than the sword, free speech!" rather than using the deaths as an excuse to openly endorse hateful poo poo or do another silly "Draw a Muhammad Day".
People died for their views and the method of expression, it is a tragedy, it is right to empathize with victims (we don't evaluate the personal qualities and views of civilians dying in drone strikes or terrorist attacks) and it is right to evoke the oft-quoted (even if misattributed) Voltaire line.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

steinrokkan posted:

The whole point of satire is to shake you up and for a moment lift the self-satisfied complacency that's so easy to fall into. If you don't want that kind of experience, you should avoid satire altogether.

Also, that's one of the failings of Colbert and Daily Show - from all I've seen of them it's just a circle jerk that serves to reassure people about their sense of right and wrong rather than the opposite.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

prefect posted:

I think it's a combination of "misinterpret", "react unacceptably", and "overreact". (It's not like it would have been okay if they'd killed just one person.)

fool_of_sound posted:

It wasn't "misinterpreted" and it wasn't "over a cartoon". It was a calculated act with an intended effect

http://www.juancole.com/2015/01/sharpening-contradictions-satirists.html

An intended effect that thus far appears to be working, btw.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fried Chicken posted:

It wasn't "misinterpreted" and it wasn't "over a cartoon". It was a calculated act with an intended effect

Yeah, I think "misinterpret" is not right. My bad. :tipshat:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

I didn't realize it was an organizational attack. That's pretty interesting.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

fatherboxx posted:

Thankfully most people use the neutral images of "We are Charlie" (which don't mean endorsment in the slightest, in my opinion) or the general "pen mightier than the sword, free speech!" rather than using the deaths as an excuse to openly endorse hateful poo poo or do another silly "Draw a Muhammad Day".
People died for their views and the method of expression, it is a tragedy, it is right to empathize with victims (we don't evaluate the personal qualities and views of civilians dying in drone strikes or terrorist attacks) and it is right to evoke the oft-quoted (even if misattributed) Voltaire line.

I agree that most of the images used in the wake of the tragedy have been tasteful, impactful, and powerful, and that we should empathize deeply with those who are killed for merely expressing themselves. It is horrible. I still have a hard time thinking I could I could say "We are Ramirez!" or "We are McCoy!" if, God forbid, one of them were to be killed. I think cartoons like the ones that were produced about the massacre, expressing and lamenting how people were silenced, the pen being mightier than the sword, and even images of Ramirez with a pen would be appropriate. Posting his bad cartoons and saying "We are Ramirez!" would be too much for me though, and it is too much for me in this case.

I know Charlie Hebdo has a considerably better viewpoint than Ramirez, but I still think the cartoons are hopelessly offensive in a South Park sort of way. I hope that makes sense and that in each of my posts, I have effectively expressed how much of a tragedy I still feel it is, and that I am very upset about it primarily because of the deaths involved, which can never be undone.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

steinrokkan posted:

Also, that's one of the failings of Colbert and Daily Show - from all I've seen of them it's just a circle jerk that serves to reassure people about their sense of right and wrong rather than the opposite.

Yeah, this is one of the problems I had with the shows when I tried watching them. Good satire makes you take a step back(often by employing shock value) to actually think about what is being depicted and maybe go "You know, this is pretty hosed up." You don't get that when the butt of the jokes is just "Well, here's some dumb thing a politican said." It's toothless and pointless as anything but pure entertainment.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, this is one of the problems I had with the shows when I tried watching them. Good satire makes you take a step back(often by employing shock value) to actually think about what is being depicted and maybe go "You know, this is pretty hosed up." You don't get that when the butt of the jokes is just "Well, here's some dumb thing a politican said." It's toothless and pointless as anything but pure entertainment.

Last Week Tonight is doing the best American political satire at the moment.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
So what was initially thought to be a reaction to depictions of Mohammed turned out to be an organized attack

Hebdoghazi

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

"Lucky Ducky" is probably the best since it really pisses me off.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Broken Cog posted:

Thanks all. I was never big into the Colbert report or the Daily show, as I caught them a couple of times, and they seemed rather America-centric and toothless to me as a foreigner.
The crudeness of South Park is maybe the closest you'd get to the style of Charlie Hebdo, but it's a bit unfair to compare the two, as from what I've heard, the creators of either are on fairly different sides of the political scale.

Yeah, I think it's a cultural difference. As an American, I see Colbert as the pinnacle of satire, both funny and incisive, whereas everything posted here from Charlie Hebdo seems crude and juvenile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bicyclops posted:

the cartoons are hopelessly offensive in a South Park sort of way

and nobody should be offended ever.

• Locked thread