Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
I am not so sure that it is universally cheaper to add lots of low paid workers in lieu of full timers. If that were the case, jobs added since the ACA was introduced in 2010 (started in 2013?) would be dominated by part time people. FRED data seems to indicate that the jobs being added are full time, not part time:

The number of part-time employees is at an all time high and falling. Furthermore, it doesn't look there has been a sharp drop in average worker hours for nonsupervisors, since the ACA:

I've posted the whole thing for funsies, you can always hit up the FRED to look at what has happened 2004-2014. It doesn't look drastically changed. There doesn't appear to be some business preference for creating part-time jobs because of the ACA. This may be because of the current point of change from part-time to full-time at 30 hours. If you had a workforce at 40 hours before the ACA, converting to 30 hours means an increase of 25% in the workforce. This means more managers, floor space, overhead in general. While it may happen that some companies make the switch to 30 hour employees and say "suck it up and work 40" this doesn't appear to be a wide-spread phenomenon.

The whole point of this is to basically agree with Amused To Death. The current limit to his/her working hours is probably the ACA limit for part-time, so raising that limit will increase Amused's hours while loving the people who get fired because they aren't needed and the rest of the country. The change from 40 to 30 hours per employee seems to have substantial overhead costs. The change from 40 to 39 does not seem to have the same costs.

For context, I created this post because of things like this:

Trabisnikof posted:

What are you claiming here? That employers don't like having a lot of low hours employees?

Low wage employees are mostly disposable and its better to have a lot of them to cycle through rather than put your eggs in one basket.

Just because an employer blamed ACA for cutting hours doesn't mean that if their ACA obligations are reduced the employer will magically add hours back.

Edit:

I was beaten:

Shageletic posted:

According to the CBO report on ACA's economic impact, which I encourage all y'all to read: the law decreased the total amount of hours worked, on net, 1.5 to 2 percent. This is almost entirely because workers choose not to work to avoid taxes and gain benefits. Therefore this is will likely be a small decrease in labor participation and not a rise of unemployment. There has not been an increase in part time hours due to the law, and there has not been a wave of employers firing people because of the law.

Boot and Rally fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Willa Rogers posted:

Good to hear that Obama can raise the overtime threshold, though. Do you reckon he plans to do so anytime soon?

The White House already put out a statement saying it is going to be adjusted (for the first time since the 70's) in February. They haven't given any indication of how much though. Some economists in the WaPo guessed it will be around 50k, but I have no idea what they are basing that on.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Willa Rogers posted:

* Provide a federal safety net for those eligible for Medicaid, instead of leaving them in limbo and subject to state bureaucracy, as has occurred in California where those eligible for Medicaid had to wait up to 6 months for enrollment.

More for the PPACA thread, but:

I have a friend who's pretty drat poor who was eligible for medicaid but had to instead enroll in some sort of HMO on the exchange and consquentially she can't go back and see the psychiatrist she was seeing for needed meds, and has to go to her new PCP first who won't renew the Rx without seeing her, and she can't get seen for a month after she's enrolled, and going cold turkey off psych meds really sucks.

What I'm saying is there is lots of room for improvement and folks have legit complaints about problems despite acknowledging good points. Psych and addiction care are mandated on exchange plans, and that's a huge expansion of coverage for those things.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

edit: Moved my response to the PPACA thread.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 8, 2015

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Senate passes TRIA reauthorization.

That's good right?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Yeah, that's pretty good.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.
Since we are talking healthcare right now, can someone answer a question for me?

I was having a conversation with a shockingly reasonable self proclaimed libertarian and he told me that since the ACA came into effect, his pretty good $100 a month health insurance now costs him $300 a month for the same coverage, and that one in a similar price range to his old plan has deductibles he wouldn't be able to afford and does almost nothing for him. I told him that the reason for that was likely twofold- one, because his old plan would likely drop him in a heartbeat if anything extreme happened to him, which is now illegal, and two, because we are in Mississippi and our lovely governor rejected the federal funding out of spite. Did I get this right, or is there more to it than that?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Someone earlier made a good point about how groups are now being put in larger pool of people. It's likely your friend is/was low-risk but now has to help out people who are slightly more risky to cover. I say that with no real basis under than thinking I saw somebody say that earlier.

I would add that in addition to your other two points.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

Since we are talking healthcare right now, can someone answer a question for me?

I was having a conversation with a shockingly reasonable self proclaimed libertarian and he told me that since the ACA came into effect, his pretty good $100 a month health insurance now costs him $300 a month for the same coverage, and that one in a similar price range to his old plan has deductibles he wouldn't be able to afford and does almost nothing for him. I told him that the reason for that was likely twofold- one, because his old plan would likely drop him in a heartbeat if anything extreme happened to him, which is now illegal, and two, because we are in Mississippi and our lovely governor rejected the federal funding out of spite. Did I get this right, or is there more to it than that?

I doubt his $100 a month health insurance plan was worth a poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

N. Senada posted:

Someone earlier made a good point about how groups are now being put in larger pool of people. It's likely your friend is/was low-risk but now has to help out people who are slightly more risky to cover. I say that with no real basis under than thinking I saw somebody say that earlier.

I would add that in addition to your other two points.

I say tell him this and really ham up the whole "YOU ARE SUPPORTING WORTHLESS SICKLY UNTERMENSCHEN" aspect of it just to make his lovely libertarian head explode.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

There's also the small detail that pretty much the only people who ACA overtly raised premiums on is the 18-30 age group and no one gave a poo poo until the Republicans tried to make hay of it. It didn't really move the needle for the same reasons that they did that in the first place.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

Rejected Federal funding was just for medicaid, right? Probably doesn't apply.

Plans that used to cost $100 usually had a low lifetime cap, and a lot of people who had those plans had no idea there was a cap.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I have lovely health insurance and I pay more than $100 a month and I wonder what that dude's definition of 'pretty good' is.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "April brought another trauma to my knees which balked when I tried to rise from my lowly 14" commode. Again, I sat for hours awaiting Wade’s scheduled arrival; however his attempt to lift me was futile — when he pulled me up, he fell backwards and I fell on my knees again. Solution: We installed the tallest-available, 17 1/2" commode and a pull-up bar on my bathroom wall." ~ Alabama Democratic Party Chairwoman Nancy Worley, in her Christmas letter to fellow Democrats.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
How would things like the common carrier rating affect data caps? Increased speeds is nice but if they can still just cap you and then start loving you hard for going over their limits due to streaming lots of TV the victory for us is somewhat diminished.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "April brought another trauma to my knees which balked when I tried to rise from my lowly 14" commode. Again, I sat for hours awaiting Wade’s scheduled arrival; however his attempt to lift me was futile — when he pulled me up, he fell backwards and I fell on my knees again. Solution: We installed the tallest-available, 17 1/2" commode and a pull-up bar on my bathroom wall." ~ Alabama Democratic Party Chairwoman Nancy Worley, in her Christmas letter to fellow Democrats.

This is my state. I have to live here.

Stop it, I already hate it enough.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Boot and Rally posted:

Edit:

I was beaten:

Yeah, sorry about that. Love the graphs though!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Evil Fluffy posted:

How would things like the common carrier rating affect data caps?

Not at all.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Gounads posted:

Rejected Federal funding was just for medicaid, right? Probably doesn't apply.

Plans that used to cost $100 usually had a low lifetime cap, and a lot of people who had those plans had no idea there was a cap.

He could be temporarily embarrassed millionaire to quite some degree.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GreyPowerVan posted:

This is my state. I have to live here.

Stop it, I already hate it enough.

Alabama Dems: Can't even get helped up after a poo poo.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Back to the depressing news.

Millenials are Just as Racist as their Parents

quote:

However frustrating the current state of race relations in the U.S., there is, according to various pundits and prognosticators, hope for the future: Millennials, they say, are the most tolerant, race-blind generation in human history. And when they grow up and constitute the bulk of the adult U.S. population, many of the problems that have plagued U.S. race-relations for centuries will simply melt away, relics of a less-enlightened past.

It’s a claim that shows up again and again. A 2010 Pew Research report trumpeted that more than two decades of research confirm that “the younger generation is more racially tolerant than their elders.” In the Chicago Tribune, Ted Gregory seized on this to declare millennials “the most tolerant generation in history.” David Burstein, the millennial author of Fast Future, said millennials are “more tolerant ... than any generation before them.” Hannah Seligson, also a millennial, sounded a similar note in the Daily Beast, writing that research “reveals that we’ve emerged as the most diverse, tolerant, pioneering, educated, and innovative generation in history.” And it’s not just the pundits: A poll from Reason-Rupe shows that in every age bracket, a majority of respondents say that "tolerant" describes millennials "very well."

Given that race-based gaps pertaining to employment opportunities, income, education, incarceration, and wealth are either persisting or growing, there’s a welcome sense that help is on the way in the form of a more racially enlightened populace.

The problem with these rosy sentiments is that they’re at least partly false. Those who claim that the rise of the millennials will usher in a new age of racial harmony are cherry-picking or misreading statistics. They’re doing so primarily in two ways: by lumping together all millennials when they report survey findings rather than breaking out white millennials views on racial issues, or by focusing narrowly on a small set of questions about explicit racial beliefs that don’t tell the full story. The fact of the matter is that millennials who are white — that is, members of the group that has always had the most regressive racial beliefs, and who will constitute a majority of U.S. voters for at least another couple of decades — are, on key questions involving race, no more open-minded than their parents. The only real difference, in fact, is that they think they are.

quote:

Younger (under-30) whites are just as likely as older ones to view whites as more intelligent and harder-working than African-Americans (among the older cohort, 64 percent felt this way, and among the younger cohort the number was 61 percent — not a statistically significant difference). “White millennials appear to be no less prejudiced than the rest of the white population,” Piston told Science of Us in an email, “at least using this dataset and this measure of prejudice.”

quote:

If white millennials were, in fact, significantly more racially tolerant than previous generations, it would show up in implicit association tests. And yet they do no better than many of their older counterparts. For example, a study of 2.5 million voluntary IAT tests from between July 2000 and May 2006 shows very little difference across age groups, with the exception of those 60 or older. Other age cutoffs show a similar result: With the exception of the elderly, who do exhibit significantly more racial animosity, there is little generational difference in implicit bias. What does divide old and young is differences in the accuracy of their self-evaluation of racial bias. While older people underestimate their bias by an average of .38 points on a four-point scale, the youngest two brackets under-report their bias by an average of .52 points on average. Younger people, in other words, are simply more deluded about their own beliefs.

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2015/01/millennials-are-less-tolerant-than-you-think.html

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
John McCain has introduced the Obamacare Opt-Out Act of 2015, which would allow you to check a box on your income tax forms nullifying a federal law.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Alabama Dems: Can't even get helped up after a poo poo.

I think I could chair the Alabama Democratic party better than her --- My strategy, suggest that we give up. Democrats can't win poo poo in Alabama because in Alabama, Democrat is about as bad as the word "welfare", even though a lot of the people here are on food stamps anyways.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Evil Fluffy posted:

How would things like the common carrier rating affect data caps? Increased speeds is nice but if they can still just cap you and then start loving you hard for going over their limits due to streaming lots of TV the victory for us is somewhat diminished.

You would hopefully have an uncapped competitor to switch to when your contract expires. It'd probably cost more or have different speed caps at peak hours, though, because those caps are there for a reason.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Joementum posted:

:allears:

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

John McCain has introduced the Obamacare Opt-Out Act of 2015, which would allow you to check a box on your income tax forms nullifying a federal law.

Where is my auto insurance opt-out McCain??? :argh:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Still constitute the majority of votes until 2050 or so.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Shageletic posted:

I've said it time and time again, but the only way I can see America starting to broach race and equality issues with effective measures is to wait till we just outnumber whites in all the important states and cities, because you guys have had the last half century to do poo poo and spent it voting in the likes of Reagan. :argh:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shageletic posted:

Earlier than that if not all white people are racist (though significant majorities certainly are).

nutranurse posted:

I've said it time and time again, but the only way I can see America starting to broach race and equality issues with effective measures is to wait till we just outnumber whites in all the important states and cities, because you guys have had the last half century to do poo poo and spent it voting in the likes of Reagan. :argh:

If the browning of America were a concentrated effort like racists fear then you really should diffuse that population into other states instead of just the 3-4 most populated states.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 8, 2015

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

To add to the Republican poo poo sandwich, they're reintroducing CISPA.
http://consumerist.com/2015/01/08/third-times-the-charm-house-to-take-another-stab-at-terrible-internet-bill-cispa/

quote:

Not unlike a mummy, the reanimated corpse of a bad bill that just doesn’t know when to stay dead is once again coming to the floor of a Congress near you this week. Tomorrow, the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act — better known as CISPA — is once again going to be introduced before the House of Representatives.
The Hill confirmed the report that Maryland Representative Dutch Ruppersberger will (re- re-) introduce the bill tomorrow.
The new version is likely to be basically the same as the old, which “directs the federal government to conduct cybersecurity activities to provide shared situational awareness enabling integrated operational actions to protect, prevent, mitigate, respond to, and recover from cyber incidents.”
In other words, CISPA makes it easier for intelligence agencies to share everyone’s digital information amongst themselves, with the stated goal of preventing cyberterrorism and other hacks. But while security in the digital world is indeed rapidly proving to be at least as important as security in the physical world, the bill’s good intentions are matched by deep problems.
Specifically, lawmakers, advocates, and others have expressed concerns that as written, CISPA would allow the government to infringe (even more) on citizens’ privacy and would allow the government to demand access personal information, like emails and Internet history, without first getting search warrants or having to follow other legal procedures.
CISPA is one of those bills that just won’t stay dead. The first go at it came up for a vote in the spring of 2012. The legislation passed in the House in a 248-168 vote, but then didn’t make it in the Senate.
A year later, in 2013, CISPA came up yet again. The House once again supported it, voting 288-127 in favor, but the Senate didn’t even bother to give it a look, and there it died once more.
But with the new year comes a new Congress. Any old pending business was basically swept away when the 114th session of our august legislative body was sworn in on Tuesday, and now CISPA gets a chance to be resurrected and shamble once more before lawmakers.
Rep. Ruppersberger told The Hill, ““The reason I’m putting bill in now is I want to keep the momentum going on what’s happening out there in the world,” referring to the current zeitgeist around cybersecurity and internet espionage surrounding the Sony hack.
But Sony isn’t the only chatter flitting through the air. Revelations over the past two years about the depth and breadth of NSA snooping have given rise to a tide of talks about privacy rights.
That, too, might change some of the feeling behind CISPA this time around, even with a different party in charge of the Senate.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

nutranurse posted:

And Carter and Clinton and JFK and Obama...

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Munkeymon posted:

You would hopefully have an uncapped competitor to switch to when your contract expires. It'd probably cost more or have different speed caps at peak hours, though, because those caps are there for a reason.

That reason is making money, if you're talking about monthly caps for total download.

Amergin posted:

And Carter and Clinton and JFK and Obama...

*lists 4 different presidents over 60 years knowingly waggling eyebrows, and shits self*

Democrats am I right???

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 8, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RuanGacho posted:

That reason is making money, if you're talking about monthly caps for total download.

Yes companies want to make money in new capitalism shocker. (the incremental cost to the ISP of a gigabyte of transfer is under a penny, ISPs are a ridiculously high margin business).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I think what this article says is being misinterpreted a little: what it's saying is basically you're no less racist than your parents - but you are way less racist than your grandparents. So there still is social progress as millenials replace their grandparents, just not as much as hoped.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes companies want to make money in new capitalism shocker. (the incremental cost to the ISP of a gigabyte of transfer is under a penny, ISPs are a ridiculously high margin business).

Agreed? Not sure your point. I was clarifying that there is no quality of service reason for monthly data allotments.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

A candidate for the Mayor of London wear a boot on his head?

Not specifically a boot but...

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

computer parts posted:

Yet mysteriously they all start voting in larger numbers after they reach the age of 30.

I'm over 30 and vote, but not for dems because they don't represent me.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

effectual posted:

I'm over 30 and vote, but not for dems because they don't represent me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAT_BuJAI70

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think most GenXers/Millenials are just is racist as their parents but are more oblivious to it and are more defensive about it.

• Locked thread