Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
That seems a little insulting to the nuclear waste, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Atmus posted:

That seems a little insulting to the nuclear waste, to be honest.

Yeah, at least the nuclear waste wasn't always trash.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm studying nuclear engineering (4th year undergraduate) and I've found these projects to scare off future explorers to be really silly and irresponsible. They're all predicated on the idea that you'll be trying to communicate with primitive hunter-gatherers, with concepts like "no honor here" and other things like you're talking to a Klingon.

I think there are two problems with that. First, almost anything you can try will just make people curious or wonder what treasure you're trying to hide. Second, why the hell are you putting your waste somewhere that primitive tribesman can find it?! Even if they don't find it or your warnings work, it will be close enough to the surface that you're risking contaminating the water table in the event of a leak.

Just stick that poo poo so deep that anyone who finds it will be advanced enough that they'll have radiation detection equipment.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

BattleMaster posted:

I'm studying nuclear engineering (4th year undergraduate) and I've found these projects to scare off future explorers to be really silly and irresponsible. They're all predicated on the idea that you'll be trying to communicate with primitive hunter-gatherers, with concepts like "no honor here" and other things like you're talking to a Klingon.

I think there are two problems with that. First, almost anything you can try will just make people curious or wonder what treasure you're trying to hide. Second, why the hell are you putting your waste somewhere that primitive tribesman can find it?! Even if they don't find it or your warnings work, it will be close enough to the surface that you're risking contaminating the water table in the event of a leak.

Just stick that poo poo so deep that anyone who finds it will be advanced enough that they'll have radiation detection equipment.

But that's hard and expensive. :qq:

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Kimmalah posted:

But that's hard and expensive. :qq:

It also doesn't get a group of 'scientists' paid.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Atmus posted:

It also doesn't get a group of 'scientists' paid.

Haha yeah I didn't want to say anything but this project looks like a make-work program for anthropologists.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

BattleMaster posted:

I dunno, 'no honour here' works pretty well when you've got the places where we buried our 'honoured dead' or the monuments to our 'honoured pharaoh', people get that at any tech level.

It just means future archaeologists will be like "It seems the people of the past had some sort of great enemy or shunned caste, lets see what their deal is."

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

This thread has really made my interested in the West Memphis Three case, as it really has yet to be solved. I saw there was a more recent documentary on the case called 'West of Memphis' that I'm going to try and sit down and watch tomorrow when I have a minute. 'Paradise Lost' was just too huge for me to tackle. If anyone has seen this new film, is it any good? I think this newer film seems shorter and more concise. From what I can find it seems like Terry Hobbs is the likely suspect, even though the other stepfather acted like a loving weirdo after the trial. Apparently he's been overheard confessing to it by family members but IDK how accurate that is. Also seems like authorities are refusing to re-open the case based on the new evidence, which isn't surprising considering they tossed three innocent teens into jail over the affair and it wont make them look too good in retrospect if they find the real killer after all these years. Especially if it was a family member (the first place police look, right?)

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Ive just watched the pbs documentary of the Willingham case on Netflix, and if there's one thing that and the wm3 case have taught me, it's that people in charge will go out of their way to avoid admitting mistakes and apologising.

The senator or DA or whoever it was at the end of the film told reporters (after firing the people who'd told him the guy was innocent) that Willingham was a bad man and that's what they should focus on. Because Willingham, just before being put to death for a crime that was never committed, told his wife he hoped she'd 'loving rot in hell'. For lying, so he'd get the death sentence, for a crime that was never committed.

With the west Memphis three, i said in here before i doubt they'll ever find out who killed those boys.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Ive just watched the pbs documentary of the Willingham case on Netflix, and if there's one thing that and the wm3 case have taught me, it's that people in charge will go out of their way to avoid admitting mistakes and apologising.

The senator or DA or whoever it was at the end of the film told reporters (after firing the people who'd told him the guy was innocent) that Willingham was a bad man and that's what they should focus on. Because Willingham, just before being put to death for a crime that was never committed, told his wife he hoped she'd 'loving rot in hell'. For lying, so he'd get the death sentence, for a crime that was never committed.

Ah, so where his final statement reads "[omitted due to profanity]," I assume that's what he was saying, huh?

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I actually saw that episode of Frontline back when it first aired and only now just realized that was the same case as the article. Definitely Willingham was a lovely guy but he was killed with basically no actual evidence supporting that he committed arson.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Go here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhutanese_passport and listen to the audio version of the article.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

With the west Memphis three, i said in here before i doubt they'll ever find out who killed those boys.

There was a development in the Columbine High School spree shooting case where the mother of a kid who had known the killers started complaining that she'd filed police reports about them before for threatening and attacking her son, and the chief of police made public statements that she was crazy and no files existed and that he pitied her for being so far gone that she couldn't tell reality from fantasy.

Then when Dave Cullen interviewed the guy for his book 10 years later, he admitted that the first thing he did after the killers had been identified was meet with all his cops and destroy all the reports that lady and others had filed about the killers. He called it "one of those cover-you-rear end meetings--you know," in a way that make it clear that he considered them a pretty normal part of being a police officer, even in a ritzy suburb in the middle of nowhere.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Popcorn posted:

Go here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhutanese_passport and listen to the audio version of the article.

:stare:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Popcorn posted:

The flying gently caress is going on there.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Popcorn posted:

The authentic Bhutan experience.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Popcorn posted:

Bhutan is full of *happy campers* who do not like *dancing*, we are *jumping peppers*, not *silly cows*!

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
We haven't had a good mine disaster in a while. Let's go see a nasty one, shall we?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1909_Cherry_Mine_disaster

There are several sites dedicated to this disaster. Some have survivors' testimonies, which are fascinating to read. There are also many photos online.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Not wikipedia but an italian murder investigation, featuring:

* A seemingly random crime
* A hard-bitten maverick investigator
* A DNA match to a subject with a solid alibi
* Secretive villagers
* An investigation spanning years

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/08/-sp-the-murder-that-has-obsessed-italy

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
re: containing nuclear waste: I always liked the idea of a grid of enormous black concrete cubes with narrow passages between them that heat up in the sunlight and become impossible to traverse.

BattleMaster posted:

the real problem here is that you haven't taken enough anthropology classes!! the intent is not to communicate with klingons, it's to try to communicate the idea that this site is not to honor a person, event, or thing, it's there to contain bad things.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I think the point is that a civilization of humans that far off won't be able to understand what in the 3 golden head of maa'c duuhn ahlds we're trying to communicate to them. It'd be like trying to read hieroglyphics without the rosetta stone, except in this case the mummy's curse is replaced with delicious radiation poisoning.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

atomicthumbs posted:

re: containing nuclear waste: I always liked the idea of a grid of enormous black concrete cubes with narrow passages between them that heat up in the sunlight and become impossible to traverse.

the real problem here is that you haven't taken enough anthropology classes!! the intent is not to communicate with klingons, it's to try to communicate the idea that this site is not to honor a person, event, or thing, it's there to contain bad things.

Nah, the problem is that if you're storing it close enough to the surface that you need a scary warning then you're risking contaminating people/animals/water even if the warning works and people stay away.

Many radionuclides in spent fuel waste have half-lives of thousands of years, and the majority of it is heavy metal that lasts forever. Do you think that the containers the waste is in will retain their integrity that long?

This whole thing is an irresponsible wankfest by artists and anthropologists when it should be treated as a science and engineering problem. Maybe the social scientists should work towards figuring out how to make sure our society doesn't collapse that far instead of working on their Fallout fantasies?

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 13:49 on Jan 9, 2015

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

A big sign saying "DONT DIG HERE WE hosed UP AND YOULL DIE"

This is about as useful as any of the weird Monuments of Dishonour that heat up and jag and have a billion skulls on the door.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Freudian posted:

A big sign saying "DONT DIG HERE WE hosed UP AND YOULL DIE"

This is about as useful as any of the weird Monuments of Dishonour that heat up and jag and have a billion skulls on the door.

Probably even more useful since more advanced explorers could possibly understand it as something other than a place to poke around in.

But seriously, the long-term storage of nuclear waste is a real problem that governments don't want to pay for because the proper solutions (deep underground vaults) that have already been proposed too expensive for the politicians to stomach. That's why they're cheaping out and going with fields of cubes/spikes/gibbeted skulls which won't do a drat thing for long-term safety.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I'd never heard of the Willingham case before, that's actually pretty shocking.

quote:

During the penalty phase of the trial a prosecutor said that Willingham's tattoo of a skull and serpent fit the profile of a sociopath. Two medical experts confirmed the theory. A psychologist was asked to interpret Willingham's Iron Maiden poster, and said that a picture of a fist punching through a skull signified violence and death. He added that Willingham's Led Zeppelin poster of a fallen angel was "many times" an indicator of "cultive-type" activities

Oh gently caress off, this shitte was really used as evidence?? loving hell.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! has a new favorite as of 14:08 on Jan 9, 2015

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

BattleMaster posted:

Haha yeah I didn't want to say anything but this project looks like a make-work program for anthropologists.

You are absolutely right:

quote:

Each of these locations was selected due to its relative geologic stability, theoretically allowing facilities there to contain the waste for the required 10,000 years.

quote:

WIPP is not scheduled to be sealed until the year 2038, and Yucca Mountain may be operating well into the 24th century

At this point, it is more of a thought experiment than anything else. For example, what if our future descendants are for some reason blind? They would have no way to determine the meaning of any symbols or warnings painted onto signs, despite any potential language barrier.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Popcorn posted:

whhhaaa??? :O How did you find out about this?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

I'd never heard of the Willingham case before, that's actually pretty shocking.

Oh gently caress off, this shitte was really used as evidence?? loving hell.

Read the whole New Yorker piece and try not to have your head spin off.

The US justice system isn't based on silly things like 'empirical scientific evidence.'

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

lovely evidence posted:

"a picture of a fist punching through a skull signified violence and death"

yeah no poo poo.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

whhhaaa??? :O How did you find out about this?

Looks like the dude who made the recording actually is Bhutanese.

What if the entire country of Bhutan is actually just performance art writ large?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

quote:

During the penalty phase of the trial a prosecutor said that Willingham's tattoo of a skull and serpent fit the profile of a sociopath. Two medical experts confirmed the theory. A psychologist was asked to interpret Willingham's Iron Maiden poster, and said that a picture of a fist punching through a skull signified violence and death. He added that Willingham's Led Zeppelin poster of a fallen angel was "many times" an indicator of "cultive-type" activities

Welp, looks like I'm going to the chair.

MightyJoe36 has a new favorite as of 18:39 on Jan 9, 2015

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jesus the latest episode of Sword and Scale has audio from the Dnepropetrovsk maniacs "Three Guys One Hammer" video. That sound I was hearing wasn't some sort of angry, frightened animal, but a mutilated middle aged man struggling to use his last ounce of strength to breathe.

I will never unhear that :gonk:

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 18:17 on Jan 9, 2015

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

This thread has really made me interested in the West Memphis Three case, as it really has yet to be solved. I saw there was a more recent documentary on the case called 'West of Memphis' that I'm going to try and sit down and watch tomorrow when I have a minute.
So I did finish the film. It's shorter than watching all the pieces of the Paradise Lost saga and also more concise. It covers events from the day of the deaths up until after they have been released from prison and sort of describes the entire journey. I was super surprised to see just how massively the police and others involved in trying the case hosed up. There was rampant bribery of witnesses, coercion, and they also misrepresented evidence like the knife that was found. Not to mention the fact that the time scene was torn to pieces before it was ever searched for evidence. The man who found the bodies tripped on one of the little boys and fell into the crime scene and all the bodies were pulled from the river before the coroner was present. And then those assholes had the gall to say the bodies were mutilated when those wounds had been inflicted by turtles after the death.

There is also an excellent section that lays out evidence supporting Terry Hobbs' guilt, with information included that I had not seen anywhere else:
-Hobbs lacks an alibi for two hours on the night of the murders
-He was seen with the boys by neighbors during this two hour time period but insists he never saw the boys that day
-His hair was found at the crime scene and DNA matched to a sample taken from him, as was DNA evidence that belonged to a friend he visited directly before the murders
-Family members attested that Hobbs' stepson admitted to them that Hobbs sexually molested him and his sister, and that his stepfather was very violent in general but especially violent towards him
-Hobbs' nephew states that he was told by his father (Hobbs' brother) that his uncle had been the one to kill those boys and this was known as 'the Hobbs family secret.'

I'd like to see the case go back to trial but even with the Alford plea I think this is unlikely. The whole point of the plea is so the defendant can say "I'm innocent but I'm pleading guilty anyway" which removes culpability for the false imprisonment from the state. So the state cannot be sued for the actions of the police force, judge, and prosecuters in the original and appellate cases. It's depressing because there is so much more information tying Hobbs to the crime than there ever was for those three boys. The police never even interviewed Hobbs regarding the boys' deaths, though usually the family is the FIRST place they look. I think even with the fact that they're legally protected, they refuse to admit to protect their political careers that they ever made a mistake.

This and the Willingham case are excellent examples of the state acting incompetently and nefariously to shoehorn the idea that these were cult related in order to deceive the bible thumping and gullible jury to condemn the accused before the trials even began. Never underestimate the effect saying "they did it because Satan!" has on a conservative redneck population. In exchange for throwing their morals out the window, they gained fame and notoriety and were able to further their political careers as a result.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Mak0rz posted:

Jesus the latest episode of Sword and Scale has audio from the Dnepropetrovsk maniacs "Three Guys One Hammer" video. That sound I was hearing wasn't some sort of angry, frightened animal, but a mutilated middle aged man struggling to use his last ounce of strength to breathe.

Christ. I can't say I wasn't warned but gently caress me that was difficult to sit through. The Dnepropetrovsk maniacs video has always been one no amount of morbid curiosity could make me watch.

For unnerving I've always been partial to Chernobyl in terms of how close thing got to becoming a global rather than local disaster.

I'm a big fan of this BBC docu-drama covering the immediate aftermath:

http://youtu.be/yk3-XUe0oEU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Gibfender posted:

I'm a big fan of this BBC docu-drama covering the immediate aftermath:

http://youtu.be/yk3-XUe0oEU

That is some high-quality TV right there. I think I've watched it like 8 times by now.

wootsie
Feb 27, 2013

Gibfender posted:

Christ. I can't say I wasn't warned but gently caress me that was difficult to sit through. The Dnepropetrovsk maniacs video has always been one no amount of morbid curiosity could make me watch.

Yeah, that was pretty hosed up. Especially how long it went on. I'll never watch the video.

For content: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incorruptibility
People, usually saints, whose bodies do not decompose after death. Not really scary but kind of unnerving.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I've seen the body of St. Clare of Assisi, and either her remains themselves look like she's been turned to wax, or someone has put a wax mask over the face, because that's what she looked like. A friend of mine (who was with me in Assisi when we saw St. Clare) was in France this summer and saw the body of St. Catherine Laboure, and she said that, unlike St. Clare, the body looked like a living person who was asleep.

I would love to learn more about these cases -- are they all hoaxes and the bodies have been embalmed? Surely even embalmed corpses decay over centuries? St. Clare of Assisi died in the 1200s and St. Catherine Laboure died in 1876, for reference.

Rabbit Hill has a new favorite as of 22:20 on Jan 9, 2015

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The ones that look like wax do have wax masks. This is because although they have no decomposed they have dehydrated significantly, and as a result look rather horrifying.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

I listened to that and they left that audio running far too long. I unsubscribed.

In fact, I'd already emailed them about an earliest episode which started, with no warning, with a guy explaining in great detail how he sexually abused his stepson. I'll never forget that piece of audio til I die.

stickyfngrdboy has a new favorite as of 22:46 on Jan 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Rabbit Hill posted:

I've seen the body of St. Clare of Assisi, and either her remains themselves look like she's been turned to wax, or someone has put a wax mask over the face, because that's what she looked like. A friend of mine (who was with me in Assisi when we saw St. Clare) was in France this summer and saw the body of St. Catherine Laboure, and she said that, unlike St. Clare, the body looked like a living person who was asleep.

I would love to learn more about these cases -- are they all hoaxes and the bodies have been embalmed? Surely even embalmed corpses decay over centuries? St. Clare of Assisi died in the 1200s and St. Catherine Laboure died in 1876, for reference.

The church rarely allows scientists to put their credibility on the line; I would reckon they're always embalmed or waxen.