Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Xopods Played a Go Game with Xom and You Won't BELIEVE What Happened Next!

(SPOILERS: Not a masterpiece of Go by either of us, but a masterpiece of Go comedy, perhaps.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

xopods posted:

Xopods Played a Go Game with Xom and You Won't BELIEVE What Happened Next!

(SPOILERS: Not a masterpiece of Go by either of us, but a masterpiece of Go comedy, perhaps.)

I had fun browsing through this one. It kept looking like it was on the way to ending in absolute tragedy and resignation for somebody so I was surprised when it leveled out and got to be so close.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

WuChou posted:

I had fun browsing through this one. It kept looking like it was on the way to ending in absolute tragedy and resignation for somebody so I was surprised when it leveled out and got to be so close.

I'm glad it's entertaining, at least. Just before my first big error, I was feeling like it was going to be a really instructive one to review. And then it just went off the deep end.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Get rid of the komi, Xom is now 3 dan. I knew it.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
Can someone accept my request to join SA group at online-go.com? I've been playing there during work.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

xopods posted:

The reason that facing komoku are considered to favor Black is that a Chinese style formation with a stone at C11 and C5 is a pretty strong opening, but if White plays like this to prevent it, a pincer tends to support C5 while simultaneously attacking White.
Given that even I can grasp that logic, I was surprised it's considered playable for White at all. So I resolved to try it, with xopods having agreed to my using database search to assist myself during this correspondence game.

xopods posted:

At this point I was feeling very bad about the game.
I felt bad about this move because Black can immediately play the huge double sente. The alternatives have downsides, too, though.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

I reasoned that b8 and {s10|s11} were miai for 8 points in double gote, so I should play a 4-point reverse sente such as b18. This has two problems. The more damning one (which became irrelevant after Black made the big capture on the left) is that Black can exchange B s11, W s10 in sente, then take b8. The other one relates to the following sequence:

This was actually the only sequence I had read out ahead of time involving the aji in that area. AFAICT Black does have to take gote all the way up to 17, which was why I hadn't reinforced. The value of the h15 string is rather beyond me to calculate, but W b18 devalued White's potential compensating capture. Even so, I'm not sure Black even gains in this exchange.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

In the game, crosscutting at A got a ko, but AFAICT instead clamping at B would've lived unconditionally?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

AdorableStar posted:

Get rid of the komi, Xom is now 3 dan. I knew it.
I was White in the game.

IMlemon posted:

Can someone accept my request to join SA group at online-go.com? I've been playing there during work.
Bug oiseaux about that.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Xom posted:

I was White in the game.
Bug oiseaux about that.

For some reason I thought Xopods as black had komi.

I'm not sure how I came to that conclusion.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Xom posted:

In the game, crosscutting at A got a ko, but AFAICT instead clamping at B would've lived unconditionally?

Seems like it, yeah. If Black connects at B8 before starting this whole sequence, a capturing race arises, but White still wins it by one move. So yeah, I guess that peep isn't as severe as in the game, though it still leads to a fairly substantial reduction in sente, which is all I though it was going to be when I played it.

Anyway, you played a much better game than I did overall.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
so i was going to try to get into chess as well because its very frustrating trying to find human people to play go with in real life, and i thought maybe i could enjoy chess too. but, uh, the chess thread here is even deader than this one and has only 17 pages over 2 years with the most recent post being 3 weeks ago. so. uh. i thought i'd ask here. any thoughts on chess and learning enough about it for it to be interesting? i hope i am not violating some go vs chess rule here. just thought you folks might be good people to ask.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
I used to play chess a lot (and I'm way better at that game than go...) so I probably qualify to answer this. If you want to get good fast, you should be solving at tactics problems because chess, just like go is all about tactics. There are couple of very basic strategic principles that you should have in mind while playing, but otherwise, just try to capture poo poo to start out and see where it goes. You can also probably find many tutorials or videos for beginners, there's tons of material for chess on the web.

For inspiration -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upQ4RKHMQGg.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

so i was going to try to get into chess as well because its very frustrating trying to find human people to play go with in real life, and i thought maybe i could enjoy chess too. but, uh, the chess thread here is even deader than this one and has only 17 pages over 2 years with the most recent post being 3 weeks ago. so. uh. i thought i'd ask here. any thoughts on chess and learning enough about it for it to be interesting? i hope i am not violating some go vs chess rule here. just thought you folks might be good people to ask.

Beware of assholes bringing out their queen and bishop really early.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

uranus posted:

so i was going to try to get into chess as well because its very frustrating trying to find human people to play go with in real life,

There's not a local Go club where you are? If you're in the states, the AGA website list is usually pretty up-to-date.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
youre telling me i have to MAKE NEW FRIENDS???/?

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

uranus posted:

youre telling me i have to MAKE NEW FRIENDS???/?

Who said anything about friends? Victims is the word you're looking for, I think.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

You could post in the chess thread, too, people do have it bookmarked even if there isn't much discussion.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

quote:

North Korea's Mansudae Art Studio may be the world's biggest art factory. It employs around 4,000 laborers of which under a quarter are artists who mostly graduated from the Pyongyang University of Fine Arts. The studio churns out propaganda for the Kim family leadership, producing everything from trinkets to murals and gigantic Soviet-style monuments.
[...]
[...] three-day exhibition of their work at the North Korean Embassy [in London].

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

"A true revolutionary pwning a dumb idiot baby", Pyongyang Institute For Noble Pursuit, Oil On Woodboard (190"x300")

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Although in honesty it's kind of a subversive painting, the style is really roughly stroked compared to a lot of earlier NK propaganda but the little girl is obviously NK in a battle of wills against the shameful cowards in South Korea and their allies in the west, while the world's media looks on????

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
It's not propaganda if it depicts a real situation.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
that situation being: black captures every stone on the board

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
if he wins, he gets to adopt her.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
well i dont think im going to be getting into chess. its just not grabbing me. oh well i tried.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

My kid cousin keeps making me play Chess against him and I'm absolutely terrible at it. Do they do Chess Problems like they do for Go? It took 2 games before he told me I couldn't capture by jumping over things!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yes, and you can totally use your knights to jump over; no other pieces. You should play xiangqi with him, the cannons must capture by jumping over!

But yeah there's tons of chess problems, mostly "mate in x" or "win the piece!" for the simpler ones. Lots of newspapers have a one-per-day sort of thing, and obviously there's plenty of books and just googling "chess problems online".

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

silvergoose posted:

Yes, and you can totally use your knights to jump over; no other pieces. You should play xiangqi with him, the cannons must capture by jumping over!

Maybe he was already playing that because you can't jump over things with elephants/horses :v:

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Here's my 1000-Elo guide to chess:
  1. Roughly speaking, a knight or bishop is worth 3 pawns, a rook 5, and a queen 9.

Being ahead on material is the primary form of advantage in chess, so if you can force a favorable trade, then do it. Likewise, you should do everything you can to avoid unfavorable trades.

If you get ahead on material, you can try to trade non-pawn pieces to magnify the proportion of your advantage. I read somewhere that trading pawns when you're ahead actually slightly reduces your chances of winning, but as a beginner I wouldn't spend too much effort thinking about that.

2. Your goal for the opening (other than exploiting your opponent's material blunders and not making blunders yourself) is to influence the four squares in the center of the board. That means occupying them with pawns and threatening them with pawns and pieces as much as possible.

As a minor caveat, try not to play Pawn to King 3 or Queen 3 if it would block your bishop that hasn't moved out yet (after the bishop moves out, then feel free to move the pawn there), but it's not a disaster if you do, since bishops can also develop to Knight 2, which is considered a useful post for a bishop, though it requires moving the knight's pawn off that square first.

A secondary goal is castling to protect your king, which also puts a rook in position to support pawns in or near the center.

Something that won't be possible every game—if you can safely post a knight on K5 or Q5, supported by a pawn on Q4 or K4 respectively, then do it. Getting caught by a knight fork is one of the most common beginner blunders, so look for those.

3. If all your pieces are decently positioned and there are still a lot of pieces on the board and you don't know what to do next, then, as a beginner, just do whatever while waiting for a tactical opportunity.

4. If you want to get more serious, learn some endgames (start with King and Rook versus King), and do a lot of tactics puzzles.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

IMO Shogi is a lot cooler than Chess because you can drop pieces back onto the battlefield.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

AdorableStar posted:

IMO Shogi is a lot cooler than Chess because you can drop pieces back onto the battlefield.

Agreed, and I grew up on chess. Shogi is fabulous, everyone should learn it.

Mating nets become so loving cool with pieces in hand, and cracking a well built castle is a beautiful thing.

Plus, all out attacks resulting in just barely failing to mate resulting in an all out attack on the other side can lead to amazing defenses, too.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Thanks for the tips!

I was attempting to play it like draughts. Either way, I've rediscovered don't like Chess half as much as Go. Maybe I'll look into Shogi and totally confuse him.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
hmm shogi seems cool. but i have a feeling its going to be even worse than go in regards of anyone knowing wtf it is ever.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

uranus posted:

hmm shogi seems cool. but i have a feeling its going to be even worse than go in regards of anyone knowing wtf it is ever.

This is entirely true, yeah. I got a friend to learn it with me and we're both pretty solidly equal, and I found someone at a con who plays both go and shogi.

That's...kinda it, though! You can play online. Or found a shogi club, start a movement! (that movement being climbing silver, of course)

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

a friend and i have been playing go for a few months now, but he's leaving town and likely won't be near a computer a lot of the time. is there a way we can play one another via ios?

he prefers something that uses kgs, for what it's worth.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 17, 2015

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
what happened to all the posting in here?

i won a league game finally, woo, yay me hooray!

whats up with you, go friends?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

what happened to all the posting in here?

i won a league game finally, woo, yay me hooray!

whats up with you, go friends?

I got okay at osu by playing 4+ hours a day everyday for the last month. What if that applied to Go...

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
go is dead

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I finished reading through BGG's Caylus strategy subforum today. (Best post was this IMO.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i recently finished a game where i didnt do an invasion that i could have because i was already ahead by around 20 points and just wanted to end the game. then i felt bad afterward and wished i had killed what i could. i must kill all things. killl kill killl