Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Disinterested posted:

I'm pretty sure he doesn't mean all Muslims, even if that will be what a lot of his party take from it.

It's kind of difficult to read otherwise from what he said, you can't come much closer to saying 'gently caress all foreigners'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Disinterested posted:

I'm pretty sure he doesn't mean all Muslims, even if that will be what a lot of his party take from it.

I'm pretty sure he does.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

OwlFancier posted:

It's kind of difficult to read otherwise from what he said, you can't come much closer to saying 'gently caress all foreigners'.

I took it to mean only fundamentalists principally because of:

'Luckily their numbers are very, very small".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Disinterested posted:

It's a well understood paradox among people who dislike minorities that they are both small enough as to not be worth caring about when it comes to any sort of positive action but still far too big when it comes to the urgent need to thin them out.

He does basically say "Multiculturalism is bad, because it lets these people in who are trying to undermine the GLORIOUS BRITISH NATION."

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Disinterested posted:

In the very same paragraph:

quote:

the whole really gross attempt at encouraged division within society that we have had in the past few decades in the name of multiculturalism."
He doesn't blame extremists or fringe elements. He blames multiculturalism - the tolerance of and between different races and cultures.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I think he's trying to blame extremism on multiculturalism, which is a common song of the 'presentable' end of the far right wing. But I think he threw in 'very small numbers' as a consolation prize: 'no, we don't hate foreigners, as long as they own small businesses and have pictures of the queen on their living room walls'.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

marktheando posted:

I believe the objectivist position is that it's ok to receive charity, just not to give it.

Also Wikipedia provides a service in return, so strictly speaking it's not charity - just asking people to pay what they think that service is worth.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Disinterested posted:

'no, we don't hate foreigners, as long as they own small businesses and have pictures of the queen on their living room walls'.

Which one?
___\_____

:vuvu:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think he's an uneducated, uncultured, uncivilised goit who makes a living dressing degenerate, isolationist, paranoid idiocy up in a guise of political legitimacy.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

TinTower posted:

Lib Dems, surely?

If we're posting from Viz then :cmon:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

In before you take out half of CAMRA for not liking your next beer :v:

Different people like different styles, some of them only likes milds :psyduck:. Got out of that inner circle years ago though when I started helping out at breweries and such here and there, still a member though for the beer festivals. :v: I think they'd be literally shaking if they knew I had a keg setup next to my cask and bottle conditioned beers. :spergin:

Constructive criticism owns though man, the feedback I get back from the homebrew competitions and club helps me improve each time. Hopefully will have be able to put a gold medal next to my silver one in September! :shepface:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-30710852

quote:

A policeman with a sideline as a gangster involved in prostitution and drugs was brought to justice after driving a £170,000 Ferrari to work.
:wtc:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 8, 2015

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I read this earlier today, loving hilarious. Nice little scam, why the gently caress did he ruin it by doing that!~!!

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
One Ex-Copper's A Moron

Fluo
May 25, 2007

JFairfax posted:

I read this earlier today, loving hilarious. Nice little scam, why the gently caress did he ruin it by doing that!~!!

Got too cocky I think! D:

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

If we're posting from Viz then :cmon:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jedit posted:

So the Oldham Athletic board received death threats and one staff member was told that a relative of theirs would be raped if Ched Evans was signed by the club. Oldham caved. I think they should have signed him on principle.

This is what I was talking about the other day. The furor over this is absolutely absurd and it has awful people on both sides. This cycle will never end now.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
are we really doing a "the truth is in the middle" thing about an unrepentant rapist

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TinTower posted:

are we really doing a "the truth is in the middle" thing about an unrepentant rapist

No, we really arent. I'm once again commenting on the absurdity of the over the top reactions on both sides of this. Where do you even begin to get that from my post?

He's also not unrepentant any more. He made an apology today, while not admitting to anything.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

He's also not unrepentant any more. He made an apology today, while not admitting to anything.

That's an impressive feat.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

That's an impressive feat.

Not really, politicians manage it every day. At least he didn't say "In my heart I genuinely believed what I did was right" or some variation thereof

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not really, politicians manage it every day. At least he didn't say "In my heart I genuinely believed what I did was right" or some variation thereof

I would generally class that as 'not an apology' but that might just be me.

Unless it's just general apologising, to the world, that bad things exist, and that makes him feel sad, I guess that's technically an apology though not really for anything.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

TinTower posted:

I reckon the right response probably is somewhere between "Chedwyn did nothing wrong" and "I'm going to rape your chairman's daughter". I'm surprised thats controversial.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I would generally class that as 'not an apology' but that might just be me.

Unless it's just general apologising, to the world, that bad things exist, and that makes him feel sad, I guess that's technically an apology though not really for anything.

That's the whole point, politicians "apologise" all the time without ever actually saying sorry.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Blue Star Error posted:

I reckon the right response probably is somewhere between "Chedwyn did nothing wrong" and "I'm going to rape your chairman's daughter". I'm surprised thats controversial.

Good thing some shithead made those threats so we can now safely claim both sides are and have always been wrong!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's the whole point, politicians "apologise" all the time without ever actually saying sorry.

So, is that a good thing or a bad thing then?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

This is what I was talking about the other day. The furor over this is absolutely absurd and it has awful people on both sides. This cycle will never end now.

serious gaylord posted:

No, we really arent. I'm once again commenting on the absurdity of the over the top reactions on both sides of this. Where do you even begin to get that from my post?

The supposed threats against Oldham staff never happened

https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/553187082450264064

quote:

Ched Evans: Police say they called Oldham Athletic & sponsors and were told no threats been made; a couple of "low level abuse on Twitter."

Oldham's sponsors stuck the boot in. The chairman had to backpedal and made up some bollocks.

twoot fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 9, 2015

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

baka kaba posted:

Good thing some shithead made those threats so we can now safely claim both sides are and have always been wrong!

The extremes of both sides are wrong though?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

twoot posted:

The supposed threats against Oldham never happened

https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/553187082450264064

Oldham's sponsors stuck the boot in. The chairman had to backpedal and made up some bollocks.

Phew, that really would have been just awful if they had happened. You don't win this by threatening to rape someone!

This will serve as a bloody good example for the public and the powerful alike I think.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Blimey, 1.3 million more people using A&E last year compared to 2010 according to Vince on Question Time. That's a heck of an increase.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I had to use A&E last year (as a result of an infection caught during a previous procedure at the hospital!), they got to me very quickly and effectively, patched me up and sent me home. When I got there I discovered there was actually still quite a lot of blood coming out of me, so had to call an ambulance and head back; the second visit to A&E saw me sat around for several hours before being seen and sorted out and placed into a ward. Then when I was due to be released, the doctors forgot to tell the nurses (despite my pestering!) so I was kept in a day and a half too long. Plus the hospital pharmacy refused to hand over three months supply of the drug I needed, meaning that I had to go and bother my local GP a month later for another prescription, which I again had to pay for, although the ASDA pharmacy didn't rip me off like the hospital one, and gave me all the drugs I was prescribed (such mercy).

All in all no sir I would not recommend having to go to hospital.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Prince John posted:

Blimey, 1.3 million more people using A&E last year compared to 2010 according to Vince on Question Time. That's a heck of an increase.

If you shut hundreds of loving GP surgeries, it's almost as if people will go anywhere for their minor medical problems

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Squalitude posted:

I had to use A&E last year (as a result of an infection caught during a previous procedure at the hospital!), they got to me very quickly and effectively, patched me up and sent me home. When I got there I discovered there was actually still quite a lot of blood coming out of me, so had to call an ambulance and head back; the second visit to A&E saw me sat around for several hours before being seen and sorted out and placed into a ward. Then when I was due to be released, the doctors forgot to tell the nurses (despite my pestering!) so I was kept in a day and a half too long. Plus the hospital pharmacy refused to hand over three months supply of the drug I needed, meaning that I had to go and bother my local GP a month later for another prescription, which I again had to pay for, although the ASDA pharmacy didn't rip me off like the hospital one, and gave me all the drugs I was prescribed (such mercy).

All in all no sir I would not recommend having to go to hospital.

A whole £8.05?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

oxford_town posted:

A whole £8.05?

loving hell you've done it now, prepare to hear why £8.05 is vast riches untold. You flash bastard.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
That's a good weekly wage for the average UKMTer. Check your privilege.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Top quality Viz posts itt

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Disinterested posted:

If you shut hundreds of loving GP surgeries, it's almost as if people will go anywhere for their minor medical problems

Is the GP contract change the single biggest gently caress up in the recent NHS do you think?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Prince John posted:

Is the GP contract change the single biggest gently caress up in the recent NHS do you think?

I think not incentivising A&E work is right up there. Like that doctor in the article said, who would work as a senior doctor in A&E when for the same training you can go off to another part of the hospital for exactly the same pay but regular, day shift hours. Its a no brainer why A&E's are always understaffed.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Prince John posted:

As I'm clearly far less sentimental than most of the people up in arms about this, can somebody explain what the big deal is please? And why is there no outrage over the majority of 'victims' who were adults? What if they used the identities of the deceased from 100 years ago - would that be acceptable? I can understand why using real identities would simplify the process of building a fake identity, but even picking random forenames and surnames from a book would still include the names of dead children and dead adults.
using people from 100 years ago would defeat the entire point. the identity would obviously not match with the real life police.
i think you've missed the point that it's not just a name that happened to match someone real (and dead). they were passing themselves off as the actual person, with documented links to real people. to the point that after the police did their disapearing act and their targets went looking for them the trail leads to the doorstep of entirely innocent parents rather shocked to be asked about their dead child apparantly being alive and running away from a child support bill.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm not necessarily sure new doctors are suitable for A&E but I met one in the US who'd qualified fairly recently and was working for gently caress all comparatively in an under privileged hospital because 5 years there wiped out his student loans. Fortunately for him though he was an anaesthesiologist which probably meant far less stress than normal at those hospitals.

Something like that seems like it could be a good idea though

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Prince John posted:

Having worked briefly with their IT system - no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Prince John posted:

No, the focus on the GP contract is completely unfounded. It was utterly necessary to pull the profession back from the brink, as it was undergoing a similar crisis to which is now engulfing Emergency Medicine. It just stands to show that the NHS constantly goes from major crisis to major crisis because there is no allowance for overcompensating for possible future issues; each crisis is minimally fixed and pushed under the rug, constantly.

I'm sure the thread will remember that NHS private hospital in Cambridge that the coalition was holding up as a glorious example of a more privatised health care system?

Well things have gotten tough and their penny pinching has lead to terrible ratings, and as ever thus the private firm is pulling out and dumping it back on the taxpayer. Circle in talks to exit private contract to run Hinchingbrooke hospital

• Locked thread