Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

colonel_korn posted:

A few late-breaking Hebdo cartoons. Branco packing heat while Ted Rall focuses on what's really important here.

Nothing quite says "Watch out for the armed man willing to defend himself!" like a picture of said man with his back turned to the viewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Here's Plante's response the shootings in France

This one is from a couple days back and requires a bit more explanation

Janet Barresi is Oklahoma's previous State School Superintendent. She lost the Mid Term Election in the primary. She was horrendous on several levels (I've yet to talk to a teacher who liked her), but the reason she got ditched is because she favored Common Core (though her implementation of it was pretty notably awful). She's a Republican and got thrown under the bus really quick when someone decided that Common Core was government overreach.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'm not an artist, so are a lot of these people dating themselves by showing cartoons with literal drawing boards? I imagine every cartoonist around the age of Bors (late 20s/early 30s) is using a tablet.

Just an observation. I have no idea if "traditional" methods are on their way out or not.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Rorus Raz posted:

I'm not an artist, so are a lot of these people dating themselves by showing cartoons with literal drawing boards? I imagine every cartoonist around the age of Bors (late 20s/early 30s) is using a tablet.

Just an observation. I have no idea if "traditional" methods are on their way out or not.

Well, showing yourself drawing on a table is pretty boring, no? Gotta have some of that prestige it gives to have one of those massive drawing boards.

Alternatively, they're all a bunch of old farts.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Rorus Raz posted:

Given how many Robin William tributes were focused on his being Mork from Ork (a role he hadn't played in thirty years), I think "out of touch" is a good way to describe a lot of political cartoonists.

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

All those dip pens too. I guess they're iconic in the industry?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

colonel_korn posted:

A few late-breaking Hebdo cartoons. Branco packing heat while Ted Rall focuses on what's really important here.

My feelings about the attack are complicated and this isn't the place to sort them out, so instead I'm going to bury myself into minutiae and babble about the definition of A Thing Happened.

I think a lot of people misunderstand what A Thing Happened means (because it's such well-defined technical jargon) and that led to a lot of inappropriate cartoons in the category in the Gay Abortions. Being about a current event doesn't in itself make a cartoon A Thing Happened, it also needs to lack any sort of message beyond that the event happened dressed bland sentiments generic to that sort of event, or else an apolitical joke. "Someone died, I'm mourning," "someone accomplished something apolitical, good on them," "a bad guy did a thing, time for payback," that sort of thing. They run the gamut from Don Armussen's Bad Reporter to memorial cartoons, Krieder's Well, Well, Well... to this steaming garbage. Done well, they can be hysterical, most of the time they're utterly inoffensive, but done badly you either get an insultingly awful joke or worse, an unintentionally offensive message like that Robin Williams obituary cartoon where Genie says "Finally, I'm free!"

If your cartoon makes a contentious point, it's no longer A Thing Happened, it's a regular editorial cartoon. "Overexposed celebrity is dumb and I hate her" is A Thing Happened, "Rams players expressing solidarity with the Ferguson protesters are only doing it to get attention, shame on them" is disgusting but I really think it shouldn't have won the 2014 Gay Abortion because it doesn't fit in the category. So let's analyze these two cartoons now that we've got a definition.

The Branco cartoon is solidly A Thing Happened. All it says is "solidarity with France" and "argh bad guys, let's shoot 'em." That would be utterly bland except that it's Branco doing the talking, the only way to get him on the same side as France, let alone drawing hearts, is for there to be Muslims as bad guys. The gun is also ridiculous even though I don't think he's saying "if they had a gun this wouldn't have happened." Thanks to the lack of abstraction, what he is saying is way stupider: "Political cartooning is a dangerous job, for hardened badass action heroes like me. Come at me, bro, MOLON LABE." We're a week into the year and we've already got a solid contender for "worst A Thing Happened cartoon" for the 2015 First Trimester Gay Abortions.

The Rall cartoon, while equally self-congratulatory, is at least making a point. "We are a nation of cowards for not giving a bigger role to the world's bravest heroes, political cartoonists. NO WONDER AMERICA IS DYING." It suggests a course of action that isn't just the default response to a terrorist attack.

The Catalino is, well, Catalino-grade A Thing Happened. Cartoonists threatened: political cartoons are the greatest weapon. Muslim terrorist attack: kill 'em all oorah. There's so little there that it doesn't even manage to say anything stupid.

So yeah I hope this nitpicking to rigorously define this thread's technical jargon is helpful to someone.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

Might just be a holdover icon of "drawing a cartoon." I don't think anyone in a long while has used a 3.5 inch floppy disk, but they all know the "save" icon that still uses the icon. It's an image of how it used to be that's still just "stuck" in culture. I know other young artists who most likely do digital have done so. I could have sworn I've even seen a Bors where he's at an old fashoned drawing board like that.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

albany academy posted:

What do sane people kill for

A Klondike bar.

Edit - I mean, they flat out ask you what would you do for one.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 8, 2015

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

I don't remember seeing these yet

People are dead, Yaweh

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like that God is reading God News, which is probably a periodical about Himself, no doubt written by Him, and He is angry about it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Funosaurus posted:

All those dip pens too. I guess they're iconic in the industry?

I guess lots of people use felt tip pens these days (or only work electronically), but dip pens are still a requirement for anybody who wants to do really fine linework - there's simply nothing better. Whether the cartoonists actually use them is another thing.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I thought that said IRA and was really confused for an instant.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'm trying to find what image Catalino stole that "terrorist" in his cartoon from, but there's quite a few ways to search for it on google.

I refuse to believe it was something he drew on his own, and there's just something lovely about honoring murdered cartoonists via plagiarism. Classy.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

......does anyone else see the word "SEX" in this composition?

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

D.N. Nation posted:

No, but thanks for the fascinating glimpse into your psyche.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

steinrokkan posted:

I guess lots of people use felt tip pens these days (or only work electronically), but dip pens are still a requirement for anybody who wants to do really fine linework - there's simply nothing better. Whether the cartoonists actually use them is another thing.

Honestly, the real (and boring) reason is probably just that drawing boards an tip pens are iconic. And you can use the ink from the pen to symbolize blood for good measure.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

D.N. Nation posted:

Nope but I did notice the two phallic symbols, one of them erect with the terrorist looking intently at it

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

WitchFetish posted:

Trust me, it's the first one. It's definitely intended to ridicule the conservative viewpoint of minorities getting all the benefits because :

-Boko Haram sex slaves most likely have more important issues to deal with
-They are not even in France
-The whole thing is definitively over the top

Oh so it's like that Kelly cartoon about the adopted Chinese child that's actually a communist infiltrator in a karate outfit. Yeah this thread has to realize that a bunch of idiots already think that Kelly is a legitimate conservative idiot and that's basically what we're doing wit hthe Hedbo cartoons.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

e_angst posted:

No, but thanks for the fascinating glimpse into your psyche.

Hey man that poo poo's everywhere https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDYhUKrGD7U

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Guardian Media Group has pledged £100k donation to Charlie Hebdo to help ensure it's not silenced. Google is giving $300k.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Rorus Raz posted:

drawing a cintiq sitting on a table with a computer next to it is way more complicated than drawing a big square

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Guardian Media Group has pledged £100k donation to Charlie Hebdo to help ensure it's not silenced. Google is giving $300k.
More cartoons for the thread :getin:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
A column by Martin Rowson which is good

And an AJ article which is also good

J_RBG posted:

The fact that the subtext of the Boko Haram cartoon in particular was completely lost on me doesn't make me deficient at Correct Interpretation,

It really does, and you should make sure never to look at a Robert Crumb or Ward Sutton cartoon ever

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Is there a good reason for the cartoons to depict the perpetrators with giant turbans, beards, and hatchets? I mean, they used guns in this attack and resembled rebel fighters with the faces covered up and armor.

It seems like using the beard/turban imagery is somehow symbolically trying to say "ISLAM did it" than "these individual assholes".

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Neeksy posted:

It seems like using the beard/turban imagery is somehow symbolically trying to say "ISLAM did it" than "these individual assholes".

Ding ding ding.

Look at this as an example.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

If god is omnipotent, why would he be surprised while reading a newspaper?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!
The Los Angeles Times has an article with cartoonists reacting to the Charlie Hebdo killings. Bagley, Horsey, and Bennett are among those quoted. Here's the Bagley bit:

quote:

Pat Bagley of the Salt Lake Tribune said the images that "outrage people most are those that spotlight people's sacred cows."

He learned this firsthand, he said, long before the so-called Muhammad cartoon crisis of 2005-2006. That's when hundreds died or were injured during protests in Muslim lands over a dozen cartoons, largely depicting the prophet in an unflattering light, that were published in a Danish newspaper.

A "retired Mormon" in the religion's capital, Bagley caricatured Mormon prophet Gordon B. Hinckley after he became president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Bagley said he has never had "a direct death threat," although he has received emails "from people who let me know they own guns, they know how to use them, and I should be careful."

But he makes a big distinction between threats against editorial cartoonists in the United States and those in other parts of the world.

"One thing that is different is that in Europe and the Middle East, they take cartoons deadly seriously," said Bagley, who had met several of the slain artists at a cartoonists' salon around two years ago. "In the U.S., we're more entertainers, and we don't get quite the respect or the response they do in Europe or the Middle East."

Bagley said he couldn't remember when an American cartoonist had been assaulted or killed for his or her work. "It happens all the time in the Middle East, and it happens way too often in South America and sometimes in Europe. It's really depressing."

Have a Luckovich.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Islamic Terror, Islamophobia

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

The Los Angeles Times has an article with cartoonists reacting to the Charlie Hebdo killings. Bagley, Horsey, and Bennett are among those quoted. Here's the Bagley bit:

Have a Luckovich.

From Horsey:

quote:

People who disagree with him, he said, are often his most loyal followers. "They're back every day just to tell me what an idiot I am," he said. "There's not much hate behind it. It's, 'Boy, you're an idiot,' not, 'I'm gonna come get you.'"

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Islamophobia has been working out.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Rorus Raz posted:

I know you're joking, but I think it reflects reality: skinheads are often really jacked dudes. Probably because they're also violent dudes.

edit: or maybe that's just the stereotypical skinhead, and a lot of them in reality are pudgy or skinny? It just seems whenever you see an image of a skinhead, they're jacked and mean-looking.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ralepozozaxe posted:

It's a new take on an old paradox

Can God create a newspaper that will contain information that He finds shocking and new?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Legitimate question, has the pro-Israeli factions in France said anything trying to turn this anti-Muslim to benefit their own causes?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Rorus Raz posted:

The true way of the Iron Pill requires gains brah

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Ralepozozaxe posted:

He use too, but now he just skims the God Times for headlines and goes back to playing video games.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Rall's not the only cartoonist who's reacted to the Charlie Hebdo massacre with criticism of how organizations publish cartoons and pay cartoonists.

To be fair though, I do see a lot of American cartoonists beating this drum regardless of what's going on in the news.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Matt's Rall's padawan though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Yeah sure God You didn't know about it till You read it in the news. :rolleyes:

• Locked thread