Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

In the end, though, when we all make it to paradise, we can ask Him.

Hey God told me you have to give me 10% of your money or you're going to hell.

Don't question God, just do it and ask Him about it when you get to Paradise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
Genesis 3:19
By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return.

Psalm 103:14
for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust.

Ecclesiastes 3:19-21
19For the fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same. As one dies so dies the other; indeed, they all have the same breath and there is no advantage for man over beast, for all is vanity.
20All go to the same place. All came from the dust and all return to the dust.
21Who knows that the breath of man ascends upward and the breath of the beast descends downward to the earth?…

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

CommieGIR posted:

No offense, but this is really annoying. There's no reason to believe that paradise even exists, good for you for believing in it, but why should I?

You don't have to?

quote:

Its kinda like people who say 'He's in a better place' when talking about children that die from preventable diseases or abuse or elderly people who die from terminal diseases that they were basically forced to suffer through. A lot of wishful thinking. No reason to accept it as true outside of holding it as a standard of your faith.

Even if there is no after-life, the dead can still be considered to be at peace, since they no longer suffer, so the sentiment of "they're in a better place" still works!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Black Bones posted:

Even if there is no after-life, the dead can still be considered to be at peace, since they no longer suffer, so the sentiment of "they're in a better place" still works!

That would appear to violate the "place" clause of the better place platitude.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Al Harrington posted:

Genesis 3:19
By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return.

Psalm 103:14
for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust.

Ecclesiastes 3:19-21
19For the fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same. As one dies so dies the other; indeed, they all have the same breath and there is no advantage for man over beast, for all is vanity.
20All go to the same place. All came from the dust and all return to the dust.
21Who knows that the breath of man ascends upward and the breath of the beast descends downward to the earth?…

:siren: Old Testament :siren: (just to preempt people who will make this point)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Black Bones posted:

You don't have to?

Considering the entire context of what he said, I kinda do.

Black Bones posted:

If your intent was dark sarcasm, yeah it does.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

*puts corpse into fancy box and drops it into the dirt* He's in a better place now

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Al Harrington posted:

*puts corpse into fancy box and drops it into the dirt* He's in a better place now

Mr. Fluffy! :qq:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

OwlFancier posted:

That would appear to violate the "place" clause of the better place platitude.

Not "place" as a geographic or temporal location, but more as a state of being.

Al Harrington posted:

Well yeah? You don't want to just leave him lying around do you? That'd be disrespectful and gross. That's why graves are also known as "resting places" - you get to relax and chill out until summoned to fight in Armageddon :black101:

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

Black Bones posted:

you get to relax and chill out until summoned to fight in Armageddon :black101:

skeleton warriors?! hell yes

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Holy poo poo this thread is still going on? What the gently caress is there even left to discuss?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Knifegrab posted:

Holy poo poo this thread is still going on? What the gently caress is there even left to discuss?

Edit: Whoops wrong thread

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 9, 2015

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

The trick is to just wear everyone out and that way you get to talk about whatever with no blowback.

BrandorKP posted:

I don't think there a deficiency. There's a part a me that suspects that somebody religious really hurt you some how.

You are literally made to be a Scientologist.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
I worship Sol because Mary's cooch was made of star stuff.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Knifegrab posted:

I think at this point we're just waiting for CowOnCrack to say more things. Kyrie and Brandor have kind of worn out their schtick.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

I think at this point we're just waiting for CowOnCrack to say more things. Kyrie and Brandor have kind of worn out their schtick.

I wouldn't expect too many updates from CowOnCrack. The WiFi in prison isn't the greatest and the Warden is a real dick about giving out the password.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Wait, we can just talk about whatever now?

Kyrie, I have a free month of Crunchyroll. Realtalk what should I watch?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The only anime that isn't garbage is DBZ so you should watch that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Black Bones posted:

Yeah, as bone-shuddering as the prospect of ceasing to exist is, the idea that when you die you just go to sleep and never wake up is... well, it would certainly be preferable if I became a vampire or an angel or something, it's not like this is a titanic negative. I imagine if I was 90 years old and ailing it'd look pretty good.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

No offense, but this is really annoying. There's no reason to believe that paradise even exists, good for you for believing in it, but why should I?

Its kinda like people who say 'He's in a better place' when talking about children that die from preventable diseases or abuse or elderly people who die from terminal diseases that they were basically forced to suffer through. A lot of wishful thinking. No reason to accept it as true outside of holding it as a standard of your faith.

And since I'm willing to be that VitalSigns doesn't share your faith, its even less reason for him to buy it.

(I get that he was asking you for further reasoning behind the Mary ideals, but that was just something that always makes me twitch)

Why are you so mad he answered a question about the doctrine of a religion by referencing said doctrine?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Who What Now posted:

The only anime that isn't garbage is DBZ so you should watch that.

I can't think of a simpler, nor more correct answer than this.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So, the idea is that Mary was indeed a regular human just like you and I. More than that, though, she was born free from original sin so that she could be the perfect vessel from which Christ would be born - and it was through Christ that this Free Pass is given. The quote from the CCC is "The most Blessed Virgin Mary was, from the first moment of her conception, by a singular grace and privilege of almighty God and by virtue of the merits of Jesus Christ, Savior of the human race, preserved immune from all stain of original sin." The church further holds that, indeed, Mary was free from sin for her entire life through this same grace.
--
In the end, though, when we all make it to paradise, we can ask Him.
Related to this, I've got a mostly serious question: I know that you (and Black Bones) are Catholic, so do you guys believe in the perpetual virginity of Mary? I'm legitimately curious since you guys disagree with Kyrie on a lot stuff, and the importance of Mary and a lot of the stuff relating to her is definitely more of a "thing" in Catholicism than in Protestantism. I've already made my own take on the issue clear (and you can tell I was definitely raised Protestant:v:):

fade5 posted:

There's also stuff like Mary being a virgin for her entire life (not just prior to Jesus being born) that I also disagree with. Kyrie (and the Catholic Church in general) hold with this belief, but I think it's incorrect, especially since Jesus had brothers and sisters. So when someone points out that Mary being a perma-virgin is contradicted by Scripture, I don't twist myself into knots trying to defend it, I just agree that it makes more sense that Mary had sex with Joseph after Jesus was born, and that's where Jesus's siblings came from.

Same question also applies to Transubstantiation, which has the amazing ability to make me more confused the more I read about it.:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 9, 2015

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

her hymen grew back after every child/those were all Joseph's children from a previous mother

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Badger of Basra posted:

Why are you so mad he answered a question about the doctrine of a religion by referencing said doctrine?

The only part I was discussing was the 'We'll ask him in paradise' part which really isn't part of the doctrine.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
I'm a christian but I am also what many people believe is a heretic. For instance, I believe in universal salvation, that hell is real but not some other plane of existence but rather a place we create for ourselves and others when we act like jerks and heaven is a thing we build for the whole world when we act Christ like. There is an afterlife and salvation for everyone. I also believe that it is possible that Jesus was not a man that existed in the holy land on 1 AD born on Dec 25th but was rather an idea that has always been with us in some form and his sacrifice and ideals are something we are meant to model whether he is real or not. I believe that the Lord taylors his message for the needs of different cultures and many of these other beliefs are merely reflections of him and we all have a bit of divinity within us. Its a belief that tends make me unpopular

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Black Bones posted:

Not "place" as a geographic or temporal location, but more as a state of being.

A non-state of non-being where the concept of 'he' no longer exists.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah well I believe in a thing called love, just listen to the rhythm of my heart.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mandy Thompson posted:

I'm a christian but I am also what many people believe is a heretic. For instance, I believe in universal salvation, that hell is real but not some other plane of existence but rather a place we create for ourselves and others when we act like jerks and heaven is a thing we build for the whole world when we act Christ like. There is an afterlife and salvation for everyone. I also believe that it is possible that Jesus was not a man that existed in the holy land on 1 AD born on Dec 25th but was rather an idea that has always been with us in some form and his sacrifice and ideals are something we are meant to model whether he is real or not. I believe that the Lord taylors his message for the needs of different cultures and many of these other beliefs are merely reflections of him and we all have a bit of divinity within us. Its a belief that tends make me unpopular

You could have just said you were UU and saved everyone some time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mandy Thompson posted:

I'm a christian but I am also what many people believe is a heretic.

Well that's manifestly true just by being a Christian. Just saying.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

the messiah was supposed to be named Immanuel and the apologetics are quite amusing as to why Jesus is alright instead

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Al Harrington posted:

the messiah was supposed to be named Immanuel but the apologetics are quite amusing as to why Jesus is alright

Well he ain't named Jesus either, and he certainly ain't named Christ.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
I believe that Jesus was a magical gnome and that the Last Supper was actually mimosas and breakfast burritos and that his main teaching was that everybody needs somebody to love, someone to love.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought he was called Joshua?

Kyrie eleison posted:

I believe that Jesus was a magical gnome and that the Last Supper was actually mimosas and breakfast burritos and that his main teaching was that everybody needs somebody to love, someone to love.

It's also still being a dick if you do it sarcastically. God is doing a poor job of making you nice.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kyrie eleison posted:

I hope this is serious because it sounds way better than the religion you normally post about.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

OwlFancier posted:

I thought he was called Joshua?

It's also still being a dick if you do it sarcastically. God is doing a poor job of making you nice.

Yeshua, which is also Joshua nowadays.

Josh, the son of god.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

Josh, the son of god.

where did the Jesus name come about then?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Josh, the son of god.

That's the one, I know it was a traditional Hebrew name that got changed, presumably to sound less Jewish.

Al Harrington posted:

Garbled transliteration/people not wanting to the messiah to sound like one of those dirty Jewish christ murderers, presumably.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Al Harrington posted:

Translations into the Greek, I imagine.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Al Harrington posted:

The early Greek editions of the bible transliterated the name Yeshua as Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous) and then the Latin translations made that into IESVS aka Jesus using modern letters.

OwlFancier posted:

That's the one, I know it was a traditional Hebrew name that got changed, presumably to sound less Jewish.

Oh it's not to sound less Jewish, it's just how the name changed over the next few thousand years. Sound shifts and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
Emmanuel is a title :colbert: meaning "God with us."

Yeshua means "The Lord is salvation" so it is fitting.

• Locked thread