Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010

Gimnbo posted:

They play Coup. I chill. Everyone wins.
The most important thing for people to realize when playing in large groups, is that not everyone will want to play every single game. Having a massive cluster gently caress from forcing 3 people talking about music and records they want to see from guys with stubble and an acoustic guitar, 1 person that still doesn't get it, and 2 people waiting 10 minutes to get a turn in.

Offer up smaller side games to people that aren't on point, then take who you have into a game. Forcing people into everything regardless of preference or interest is a sure fire way to gently caress up social events, and give people some weird feelings. If people are just rambling over a game, especially during instruction, just tell em you'll get them in on werewolf or whatever they typically play.

Half this post is in reply to the thread and the other half cause I just had the experience of wrangling someone and their 2 besties and burning out the opportunity to play anything cause they won't shut the hell up, anytime I'd speak up about the game on the take all of them would just blabber on like they were as quiet as can be, while literally yelling back and forth in a small room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

ETB posted:

I would recommend Kemet before making newer gamers jump into either Game of Thrones or Diplomacy. Personally, Game of Thrones is better overall because 1) it's dripping with theme and 2) the game will end if someone is really good at it or after 10 rounds. Both suffer from rules, rules, rules, so I think it's the stronger of the two options.

I don't think Kemet is a good beginner introduction at all. It's definitely a gamer's game. Quantum would be a good substitute, I think.

I guess whether Game of Thrones or Diplomacy is better is open to interpretation, but I don't think it's at all reasonable to say that Diplomacy suffers from being overly complicated. It's a pretty simple mechanical system with a couple odd, well-documented exceptions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Schizoguy posted:

People are walking in, and you want something short. What do you play?
You have 5 people. What do you play?
You have 9 or 10 people, but don't want to split into two groups, and don't feel like playing Werewolf or Telestrations or whatnot. What do you play?
You have 15 minutes on your hands. What do you play?
It's the end of the night, and you don't feel like thinking very hard, but you also don't want to go home yet. What do you play?
Multiple people in your group enjoy Coup, want to play Coup, and are asking to play Coup, and what the hell, it's short. What do you play?

1) Dodekka, Love Letter or Red7.
2) Temporum.
3) The Resistance. PS: your "whatnot" qualifier makes this question "You have 9-10 people and don't want to play anything that holds that many and isn't Coup", so it can gently caress off.
4) ONUW, usually.
5) Practically anything except Coup. End of the night is for social games.
6) One of the other games that we will split off into. But it doesn't happen, because Coup is a game we only ever play when we're waiting on a couple of people and can't agree on anything else.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Jedit posted:

1) Dodekka, Love Letter or Red7.
2) Temporum.
3) The Resistance. PS: your "whatnot" qualifier makes this question "You have 9-10 people and don't want to play anything that holds that many and isn't Coup", so it can gently caress off.
4) ONUW, usually.
5) Practically anything except Coup. End of the night is for social games.
6) One of the other games that we will split off into. But it doesn't happen, because Coup is a game we only ever play when we're waiting on a couple of people and can't agree on anything else.

Did you ever get around to trying Coup with the actual rules?

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

How good is Z-man about replacing parts? I got a friend pandemic for christmas, and they got an automated message about the replacement parts on the 27th (No red cubes were included in the box at all). And nothing since then.

They'll probably show up soon. I had a similar situation a while back where a game I got was missing a few random wooden pieces. I filled out a ticket, got the acknowledgement email which was in French despite being in the US which was concerning, and then didn't hear anything else. Not too long after that a full set of the pieces showed up in the mail.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Gimnbo posted:

Since it's been brought up how important the people you play with are, do you plan to play more with friends or family? How nerdy are your friends? You could start a lot deeper if your regular group are a bunch of Firaxis fans, for example.

I have two-three friends who live in my city, my other seven friends are in my area from late September to late February, and some time during August. Then I've got four other people in my immediate family. My friends are nerdy as poo poo, really into stuff like Maze Runner, historical fiction, Game of Thrones, League of Legends, Pokemon, etc. They have next to no experience with strategy games besides stuff from Facebook.

EDIT: Which reminds me! Has anyone here played Diskwars? poo poo, so many interesting games and so little money.

Azran fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 8, 2015

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I started four people who had never played a worker placement game on Lords of Waterdeep and they had a great time and want to play again. The theme is nice if your group has any experience with D&D, the Lord of the Rings movies, etc -- and the rules are easily explainable/graspable after one round while maintaining depth. I'm already planning a heavier worker placement to spring on them just based on how much they enjoyed it (come to me Dominant Species, come to me -- or maybe Caylus/Agricola/Viticulture/Concordia/Le Havre/Dungeon Lords aaaaaaaaaahhh I already asked for enough recommendations). Actually I'm definitely getting Dungeon Lords so that + something else.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 8, 2015

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

T-Bone posted:

I started four people who had never played a worker placement game on Lords of Waterdeep and they had a great time and want to play again. The theme is nice if your group has any experience with D&D, the Lord of the Rings movies, etc -- and the rules are easily explainable/graspable after one round while maintaining depth. I'm already planning a heavier worker placement to spring on them just based on how much they enjoyed it (come to me Dominant Species, come to me -- or maybe Caylus/Agricola/Viticulture/Concordia/Le Havre/Dungeon Lords aaaaaaaaaahhh I already asked for enough recommendations). Actually I'm definitely getting Dungeon Lords so that + something else.

I wouldn't jump from Lords of Waterdeep to Dominant Species, it's very complicated, competitive, and long, with plenty of ways to get screwed badly. I mean, I love the game, but it could definitely scare off newer players. I'd suggest Terra Mystica if you want a eurogame that's heavier (although it's not worker placement). You might also consider Russian Railroads if you want something heavy. Your other ideas are fine too.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Got space alert for Xmas, and finally managed to crack our open and play it. Managed to succeed on the test run then failed horribly on the first run because we said, what the hell, let's throw the higher difficulty challenges in there too. Was an absolute blast.

We then followed up with a game of 8 virulent strain + mutation pandemic.

Because we hate winning.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
Got the new(ish) expansion, Titans, for Cyclades and I'm loving stoked like you wouldn't believe. I cannot wait to get it to a table. I'm wondering how it well it works with the Hades expansion though - seems like a lot of stuff!

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I just got my copy of Steam Park (IELLO Edition) and some of the punchboards are not very well cut. The sticker layer on the pieces is also kind of lovely.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Azran posted:

EDIT: Which reminds me! Has anyone here played Diskwars? poo poo, so many interesting games and so little money.

Warhammer Diskwars is the better (arguably) and 100 times cheaper and less time consuming method of playing Warhammer Fantasy. Take it or leave it at that. I like it, but the guy I play 2 player games with prefers to play Netrunner and Tash-Kalar over it and any other wargame/skirmish game. (I want to play Mage Wars too T_T)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

echoMateria posted:

(I want to play Mage Wars too T_T)

Magewars has this problem where part of being good requires it to be popular, and it isn't popular enough to be good. It's like if magic were only sold as one or two very large pools of cards.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

I feel like I need a worker placement game in my collection, and am curious about Manhattan Project.

How is it? The theme definitely appeals, mostly just because I'm glad it's not farming or something equally dry.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

CaptainApathyUK posted:

I feel like I need a worker placement game in my collection, and am curious about Manhattan Project.

How is it? The theme definitely appeals, mostly just because I'm glad it's not farming or something equally dry.

I've been meaning to give this a try again, but from my experience, it was somehow both dry and really aggressive, which makes it a turn off for both the types of people who prefer dry Euro games and the people who prefer games with strong themes. Note that it is not so much a worker placement game as an engine building game, though, since your optimal play is usually "Turn A: Gather dudes Turn B: Place dudes on all your buildings (engine parts) to score points. Repeat." That is, most of the time your dudes are likely just on your own buildings, which are sorta hard for other players to get to. Other players, though, get to disrupt your engine with bombs and maybe spies. This can also lead to a dogpile on the leader thing, as people use their fighters to chew through the leader's fighters, and then once those are clear, bombing the poo poo out of [Crucial piece of the point assembly line].

It also has the Small World problem where a lot of your turns amount to just passing and doing nothing (in this case, getting your dudes back into your pool), so that kinda blows. And when peak efficiency means that those Do Nothing turns account for 50% of your actual turns, it doesn't really feel that great.

I didn't think it was the worst, but it felt really bland. I also think that there's something weird about the cartoony worker art contrasting with the dark themes of the game. Again, I only played it once, though, and that was without the expansions.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 8, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

CaptainApathyUK posted:

That's not dry for some people :colbert:

Manhattan Project is alright. It has a weird 'combat' system in that you can build fighters and bombers, where you match fighters off against the opponents and if the defender goes down to 0 fighters, you can bomb his stuff with his bombers. This both means that if you even have 1 less fighter than someone else, he can still hit you for full effectiveness. On the other hand, it does create that 'no one wants to strike first' thing that suits the theme.

The worker placement section is that you have to take an action to take your guys back, and you can send your workers either to your own buildings or communal actions. You can also use espionage to use enemy buildings as well, which locks them up until you recall your guys. It works alright but I have a mild dislike for games in which you have to spend actions to recall stuff back (I have a similar problem with the Small World decline action). It was perfectly playable but it didn't blow me away like Caylus/Dungeon Lords/Dungeon Petz did in terms of worker placement games.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Well gently caress, GrandpaPants, thanks for taking the words out of my mouth :argh:

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Those are all valid observations, but despite all that, it is an engaging and interesting combination of WP and engine building. It's not the best in genre, but if you've already got a bunch of WP games, and need some more, it's worth a look. I'd say hunt down Carson City if you want a more directly adversarial WP game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

I also think that there's something weird about the cartoony worker art contrasting with the dark themes of the game.

I consider this to be a plus point, actually. It has a strong feel of Fallout to it.

The one game of MP I played I won out of nowhere a turn before someone else would have locked it out as the other players didn't realise I had squirreled away enough bomb orders to make such a quick comeback, which was a positive point as it means the game doesn't have strong inevitability from a good early start. Overall, though, I would neither rush to a second play or rule one out entirely. It's neither bad nor good, depressingly stupid nor exceedingly clever.

My worker placement games of choice would be Caylus for a basic introduction, Versailles for a strong variant on the genre, and Viticulture for an escalating advanced experience.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
God drat Dungeon Lords is really hard. Highly enjoyable but it kicked the poo poo out of us this evening. Horribly. I think I ended up with two points. The events in particular have the potential to be just VICIOUS.

I really want to play again though. I've been trying to work out whether it's possible to get the first and second Paladins and not lose too hard, and it seems difficult.

Adding the expansion next time. Eep.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Quick trip report from weekly board game meet.

Played Skull & Roses while I wolfed down some food (the pub where we meet does awesome burgers, and had a wonderfully silky pint of a stout called "Christmas Truce") which I enjoyed playing but being the first player eliminated only really served to reinforce my belief that I am terrible at bluffing games.

After that, got in on a 6-player game of Historia. I played this a few months ago and quite liked it, and having it played it again tonight I like it a little more. I didn't make so many terrible moves, there was only one that I properly cocked up but fortunately I was able to recover, and some of the finer strategies were more apparent this time. Due to time restraints and having to teach three newbies we only managed to play two of the three eras, but even by then the runaway leader problem I noticed last game was again obvious. The leader had 70 points with second place in the low 40s and the rest of us in the mid 30s. Getting the right set of wonders early on, and especially completeing the goals offered by your first era leader can really give you a massive boost in points. It might be something that evens out if you play with people who really know the game, but it really did feel that, after the first era where the leader had double of the points of the guy in second place, it really was just a race to not come last.

We also played with the Event deck this time, which is an event that applies to the whole table for that round. Holy Jesus some of these are brutal. We had a particuarly awful double-whammy of "Play any card, lose military." one round, followed by "Play any card, lose science." but overall I think they added a nice extra layer to the gameplay. All in all, Historia isn't a game I'd buy myself, it's a bit too complex for my regular crowd, but I'd happily play it again at the gaming meet.

When I got home I found out that my parents had played Catan without me. Two player Catan :stare:

They realised themselves why it doesn't really work two player (limited trading, too much space for each player etc.) and they both reached 10 points so quickly they played on until they ran out of roads. I'd better find a two-player variant for them to try I suppose. Friday night gaming tomorrow night with my parents anyway, I think it's time I tried something new with them so I'll break out Splendor I think and see how they like it.

Also, first glimpse of one of the new challenges from upcoming Pandemic: State of Emergency:

The one on the right, no flights allowed? :gonk:

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

thespaceinvader posted:

God drat Dungeon Lords is really hard. Highly enjoyable but it kicked the poo poo out of us this evening. Horribly. I think I ended up with two points. The events in particular have the potential to be just VICIOUS.

I really want to play again though. I've been trying to work out whether it's possible to get the first and second Paladins and not lose too hard, and it seems difficult.

Adding the expansion next time. Eep.

A few nights back I managed to win a tight game by taking out both paladins - think I ended up with about 22 points?

I was playing maxed out evil, and had taken out the adventurers and paladin in two rounds the first year. I planned to recruit another Witch to go with my existing Witch, to take out the paladin in an alpha strike in my anti-magic room at the start of the second year. Unfortunately, due to evilness issues due to being pushed second in getting food by another player that round I was unable to recruit her.

Luckily, I was able to deal with the paladin with my Vampire and Witch with the use of the Vampire/Witch +1 damage special room. The rest of the adventurers escaped, but +10 points over everyone else in a game where ~20 points is the winning score is massive and was enough to juuuuust push me over the edge.

Fantastic game - so glad I got the anniversary edition.

EBag
May 18, 2006

CaptainApathyUK posted:

For light WP Istanbul is great and Lords of Waterdeep is pretty popular. Stone Age is also good.

For medium weight, Keyflower is really good and very interactive as far as WP games go, and also has some aggression without actually destroying other players things.

For heavy WP Agricola or Caverna, Agricola being the harder but more replayable game. Dungeon Petz is supposed to be good if not a little fiddly but haven't played it. Just picked up Bruxelles 1893 which is a WP with an interesting mix of mechanics, supposed to be excellent but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Stumiester posted:

A few nights back I managed to win a tight game by taking out both paladins - think I ended up with about 22 points?

I was playing maxed out evil, and had taken out the adventurers and paladin in two rounds the first year. I planned to recruit another Witch to go with my existing Witch, to take out the paladin in an alpha strike in my anti-magic room at the start of the second year. Unfortunately, due to evilness issues due to being pushed second in getting food by another player that round I was unable to recruit her.

Luckily, I was able to deal with the paladin with my Vampire and Witch with the use of the Vampire/Witch +1 damage special room. The rest of the adventurers escaped, but +10 points over everyone else in a game where ~20 points is the winning score is massive and was enough to juuuuust push me over the edge.

Fantastic game - so glad I got the anniversary edition.

Yeah, I'm really pleased to have gotten it, it's really great fun even when it's kicking the hell out of you - but I really want to get better at it.

The only thing that bothers me is that the 2 and 3 player variants seem a little... off somehow. We've only played 3 and 4 thus far but the fact that the dummy player doesn't take a room or a monster and thus gives the players who get those actions those rounds more choice and/or or cheaper actions... seems a little off. Don't think there's a fix for it, but it definitely seems like a game at its best with exactly 4.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Got a chance to play Imperial Settlers at the FLGS tonight. Got stuck with Egypt as the last player, drew Oasis my second turn.

I got through all but 6 cards of my faction deck and got almost 150 points. Though both Sphinxes were out too so that total is a little inflated.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
So how do you get the Lancelot rules to Resistance Avalon if you wanted to proxy the cards? I've seen the cards on BGG, but no idea how they are used. Be nice if they just sold the kickstarter stuff separately somewhere. Yeah, I know there's the original Resistance expansions that do the same stuff, well I guess. Didn't see a Lancelot listed. I'm thinking that one over too.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Is Dungeon Petz : Dark Alleys getting a reprint anytime soon?
It's 3x more costly than the base game and I can only find it online.

Also did only Z-Man games publish it because I know Czech had to reprint Tash themselves or something.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
Any opinions on Roll for the Galaxy so far?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Is Dungeon Petz : Dark Alleys getting a reprint anytime soon?
It's 3x more costly than the base game and I can only find it online.

Also did only Z-Man games publish it because I know Czech had to reprint Tash themselves or something.

I bought Dark Alleys from the Warstore while ordering miniatures on Black Friday. They're not well known among boardgamers since they primarily sell miniatures, but they're an excellent online store with pretty good service. They still have it in stock for $27 + shipping

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

berenzen posted:

Got space alert for Xmas, and finally managed to crack our open and play it. Managed to succeed on the test run then failed horribly on the first run because we said, what the hell, let's throw the higher difficulty challenges in there too. Was an absolute blast.

We then followed up with a game of 8 virulent strain + mutation pandemic.

Because we hate winning.

Finish the training campaign first. Then, it'll realistically take you a few weeks or even a few months before you're capable of handling yellow threats. You ideally need to be able to perfect a white mission before you should consider adding yellow cards.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

echoMateria posted:

Any opinions on Roll for the Galaxy so far?

My group really likes it so far, but we've only played once. We play a lot of Race, both Brink and AA. Roll is very similar to Race, but it's also definitely different. It doesn't feel like you can get screwed badly by the dice, but it does feel like predicting what phase people are selecting and taking advantage of that is even more important than in Race. Need more plays though.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Ojetor posted:

I bought Dark Alleys from the Warstore while ordering miniatures on Black Friday. They're not well known among boardgamers since they primarily sell miniatures, but they're an excellent online store with pretty good service. They still have it in stock for $27 + shipping

Oh neat, thanks! Guess I only have to feel bad now if they make an anniversary addition of petz too.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

QnoisX posted:

So how do you get the Lancelot rules to Resistance Avalon if you wanted to proxy the cards? I've seen the cards on BGG, but no idea how they are used. Be nice if they just sold the kickstarter stuff separately somewhere. Yeah, I know there's the original Resistance expansions that do the same stuff, well I guess. Didn't see a Lancelot listed. I'm thinking that one over too.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3439169/Do%20Not%20Delete/lancelot.pdf

and Excalibur:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3439169/Do%20Not%20Delete/excalibur.pdf

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
I got a full time job and I've been scooting around looking to pick a game up. I have plenty of games at the moment but they are all massive hulking beasts that take hours to complete and have chomp 15 minutes for setup almost universally.

I don't like Hive, and I'm looking for some lighter card games, anything thats light that can be had for about 19.99, I perused sellsvvords but i'm not sold on it. Lets get a handful of recommendations made based on the criteria of cheap, good, quick.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Anybody have experience with Tales and Games: The Hare and The Tortoise? I saw it on Tabletop and was very impressed, probably going to pick it up unless there's some horror stories.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

PROTOSTORM!!! posted:

I got a full time job and I've been scooting around looking to pick a game up. I have plenty of games at the moment but they are all massive hulking beasts that take hours to complete and have chomp 15 minutes for setup almost universally.

I don't like Hive, and I'm looking for some lighter card games, anything thats light that can be had for about 19.99, I perused sellsvvords but i'm not sold on it. Lets get a handful of recommendations made based on the criteria of cheap, good, quick.

Number of players?

Also, Coup.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

So I'm about a couple months into this hobby and I'm severely bankrupt. However it has given me and my friends hours of fun and we've moved to the stage where we play on VASSAL, playdominion.com, and Board Game Arena instead of video games.

I gravitated towards games like Betrayal at House on the Hill and Eldritch Horror in the beginning because I am a sucker for flavor text and role playing mechanics. I thought I would never touch a victory point collecting, more mathematically designed type of board game but I recently played Dominion. I've played maybe 3 games of Betrayal and the cards and haunts don't really excite me anymore, but I've racked up probably about 50 games of Dominion, not only because it's short but also I enjoy figuring out strategies and getting better at the game.

Are there any more games that fit this category? Something that actually facilitates different skill levels, has a decently complex meta-game, but still has some sort of theme even if it's just a card title/art that sorta fits the effects of the card. Come to think of it, what's are games with a decent competitive scene?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

A Jupiter posted:

Come to think of it, what's are games with a decent competitive scene?

You're likely going to want Netrunner for this. Magic has a better (generally, I don't know about current block) competitive scene, but a competitive deck will likely cost more than getting a full Netrunner set (about 300 if I'm doing my math right?).

For cheaper but less popular options, other 2 player games have tournaments occasionally, like Twilight Struggle. It wouldn't be too hard to organize a BattleCON tournament with a single Devastation box, either. Tactical games like Mage Wars and Warhammer Diskwars are easy tournament fodder, but they're not the most popular games. Of course stalwart abstracts like chess and Go are also competitive as hell.

Say no to Catan tournaments. Diplomacy tournaments, on the other hand, sound intense as hell.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yomi has a pretty active competitive scene and has tons of flavor and tons of replayability. Battlecon has tons of flavor and replayability but I don't think it really has a developed competitive scene anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
What are some basic strategy's/beginners tips to learn while starting out Dominion.