Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

beepsandboops posted:

Rall's not the only cartoonist who's reacted to the Charlie Hebdo massacre with criticism of how organizations publish cartoons and pay cartoonists.

To be fair though, I do see a lot of American cartoonists beating this drum regardless of what's going on in the news.
I think Bors has merit since it's pretty loving lovely not to pay cartoonists for their work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Is it really that outrageous that cartoonists would be annoyed by people using their work and not paying for it?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Saint Sputnik posted:

Yeah sure God You didn't know about it till You read it in the news. :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMNi8En7ZZs&t=1240s

Relevant bit starts at 20:36

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Especially since these people are saying "We support political cartoonists!" by....stealing cartoonists' work. That's pretty loving low.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Rorus Raz posted:

I'm not an artist, so are a lot of these people dating themselves by showing cartoons with literal drawing boards? I imagine every cartoonist around the age of Bors (late 20s/early 30s) is using a tablet.

Just an observation. I have no idea if "traditional" methods are on their way out or not.

Screw you. I'm 25 and I still draw on paper with a drawing board. And I love doing it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

"Wait what? Why did the wisp of smoke from the gun barrel move behi--Aaaah."

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Rorus Raz posted:

I think Bors has merit since it's pretty loving lovely not to pay cartoonists for their work.

Boy, are we in debt!

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
And yes, Bors has said before that he draws on paper with brush.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mister Beeg posted:

Screw you. I'm 25 and I still draw on paper with a drawing board. And I love doing it.
Hey, I made no judgements in that post, gramps :corsair:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

:whatup:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's good to be back.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This is seriously going to be their talking point.

It's incredible.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Rorus Raz posted:

It's incredible.

Is it? I'm guessing they had that sentence ready for an opportunity like this one.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 9, 2015

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

I'm with you, nothing surprises me anymore really.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/09/25/remarks-president-un-general-assembly

quote:

The future must not belong to those who target Coptic Christians in Egypt -- it must be claimed by those in Tahrir Square who chanted, "Muslims, Christians, we are one." The future must not belong to those who bully women -- it must be shaped by girls who go to school, and those who stand for a world where our daughters can live their dreams just like our sons. (Applause.)

The future must not belong to those corrupt few who steal a country’s resources -- it must be won by the students and entrepreneurs, the workers and business owners who seek a broader prosperity for all people. Those are the women and men that America stands with; theirs is the vision we will support.

The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam. But to be credible, those who condemn that slander must also condemn the hate we see in the images of Jesus Christ that are desecrated, or churches that are destroyed, or the Holocaust that is denied. (Applause.)
Nope, nothing taken out of context there at all! :hurr:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bicyclops posted:

I like that God is reading God News, which is probably a periodical about Himself, no doubt written by Him, and He is angry about it.

Yeah, he should read the much more accessible Popular Deity magazine. In this century's issue we have Performing Wonders: We Take The Mystery Out Of The Moves and our group test, Plagues: 10 Of The Best Put Through Their Paces.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Jedit posted:

Yeah, he should read the much more accessible Popular Deity magazine. In this century's issue we have Performing Wonders: We Take The Mystery Out Of The Moves and our group test, Plagues: 10 Of The Best Put Through Their Paces.
Not a huge fan of Popular Deity. But at least it's better than BuzzCreed. 9 Best Times The Jews Survived Something. Bleh.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Man, skinheads sure do love Israel and Jews in general

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

loquacius posted:

Man, skinheads sure do love Israel and Jews in general

There are hard-left extremists who welcome American imperialism. I'm sure there's room for some Israel loving nazis. (What's Christian Identity's take on Israel?)

zakharov posted:

Is it really that outrageous that cartoonists would be annoyed by people using their work and not paying for it?

It might be considered to be in poor taste trying to utilize this as a talking point about royalities. Especially when this publication is a bit murkier than ordinary cartoon printing when it comes to royalities.

But despite my generally low opinion of Bors I have to give him some credit. He is very consistent and vocal when it comes to intellectual property rights when it comes to cartoonists and it's not necessarily a stance that is all that popular in various parts of the political left.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

ephex posted:

Okay, Berlin newspapers are officially badass

NO!
YOU CAN'T MURDER OUR FREEDOM

Lmao if you don't realize this is only because mainstream German sentiment is virulently anti-Muslim (slash anti-immigrant slash anti-Turkish).

b0ner of doom
Mar 17, 2006
There is nothing fundamentally wrong with being anti-Islam.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

I'm sure that'll take of Europes growing antisemitism and save press and publishers from intimidation.

I think it was quite fortunate that the national clerics and elsewhere in Europe was quick to unequivocally condemn the murders though some crinkly had to add some some "buts" or had to answer "well myees"... even the Robber Barons and the Theocrats down at ME joined it (blood stained hypocrisy of them to commit murders but there you have it)

Trying to convince people that demographics are amorphous is something I've always tried to illustrate, with 75% residents with Muslim heritage calls themselves believers and only 41 practitioners makes it more likely that we're gonna see more drunk Bosniaks then zealus Salafists in 2083.

As for Hebdo.

Its like going around sharing a book with racists jokes to strangers, they can be fun but trying it out to everyone and judge those that get huffy is pointless, worse you risk running into a nazi...all you get is a creepy grin and unclean knowledge that you have given him a nugget of self satisfaction.

But I don't think he was Islamophobic,

Its the IS goon thats so narcissistic, proudful, that that he kills his Prophet. Saving the ummah by killing innocent muslims.

Or the jackboots saving the Nations by plunging it in fire.

54.4 crowns fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 9, 2015

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

b0ner of doom posted:

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with being anti-Islam.

There's also nothing fundamentally wrong in believing in state's rights.. but it's hard to separate the fundamental core from all the stuff that gets added in practice.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

A Movie Was Watched, and Muir felt it necessary to inform everyone.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Now that the cartoonist's have put out their hokey memorial cartoons, they can get to the real meat of the issue.

Edit: I don't know much about guns, but that silencer is huge.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Political Correctness silences radical Islam. A Good Cartoon.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Imagine I posted the billion Day by Day strips with copy-pasted Dr. Evil poses to indicate Zed/Damon/MoneyDad is being cool and/or cheeky. Actually, don't.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Most easily reinterpreted cartoon of 2015 only 8 days into the year.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

54.4 crowns posted:

As for Hebdo.
[...]
But I don't think he was Islamophobic,
I'm not gonna be mean to you since you're obviously drunk, but just in case, Charlie Hebdo is the name of a magazine, not a dude.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

WitchFetish posted:

I'm not gonna be mean to you since you're obviously drunk, but just in case, Charlie Hebdo is the name of a magazine, not a dude.

I think this is the thing most people have been confused about (including myself).

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the Charlie Hebdo attackers – French police have named three men suspected of carrying out Wednesday's attack at the offices in Paris of the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo" Also, Martin Rowson's article on the attacks.

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Yesterday's Mail:

Fire engine used as makeshift ambulance for elderly woman

Mail:

Also, Mac's article on the attacks.

Express:

Lady at war over £2m painting sold for £3,500 :monocle:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Respect for others is the antidote to extremism. A good cartoon. (This one's a bit of a stretch, but his intended meaning makes even less sense).

alnilam posted:

I know you're joking, but I think it reflects reality: skinheads are often really jacked dudes. Probably because they're also violent dudes.

edit: or maybe that's just the stereotypical skinhead, and a lot of them in reality are pudgy or skinny? It just seems whenever you see an image of a skinhead, they're jacked and mean-looking.
It could also be because Aryan Nation style skinheads are closely associated with prisons, an environment where endless working out is one of the main forms of recreation and something of a survival strategy.

Rorus Raz posted:

It's incredible.

Well I mean Obama was basically talking about them. It's only natural they'd get defensive.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

Political Correctness silences radical Islam. A Good Cartoon.

Is there even another way to see it?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Agreed, a set of rules that basically boils down to 'have basic respect for your fellow man' that while not LAW become general social practice over time will help curb Radical Islam's messaging ability.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Like, I realize that Ramirez doesn't meant that, but I can't really figure out his intended meaning at all.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

forbidden lesbian posted:

It's actually a loudener that gives +5 to damage and intimidation.

Ramirez confirmed as video game obsessed goon.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

forbidden lesbian posted:

The PC police keep us silent about the dangers of radical Islam, ergo they're a part of the violence when it happens. I'm 100% secure saying that was his intended message.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

You know, for people who decry "political correctness", Ramirez and McCoy and their lot really have a hard time just coming out and saying whatever they want to happen to Muslims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Uh the gun still kills people when it has a silencer on it, guys. He's saying that political correctness helps to conceal violence committed by extremists. Ramirez is poo poo at metaphors but I think this one is fairly coherent.

• Locked thread