Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes
Thanks for the recommendations. Now for a follow up, how would smash bros fare? We have brawl on the wii but the disc drive is going out so it freezes just past the stage select and wgen we tried to let her play it she picked peach, cause ya know.....princess, and she got upset it wouldnt play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blizzy_Cow posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. Now for a follow up, how would smash bros fare? We have brawl on the wii but the disc drive is going out so it freezes just past the stage select and when we tried to let her play it she picked peach, cause ya know.....princess, and she got upset it wouldnt play.

Smash Bros shouldn't be too bad if she's bright enough to figure out a D-pad and buttons. All you really need to know is how to jump and hit for basic smashy fun.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Even though technically the gameplay of that is quite complex, she's a kid so it won't matter. If she likes smashing action figures together she'll like Smash Bros.

If she wants to play as a female character, Super Mario 3D World has two (one of whom needs to be unlocked). Not sure how hard it would be for a kid.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Blizzy_Cow posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. Now for a follow up, how would smash bros fare? We have brawl on the wii but the disc drive is going out so it freezes just past the stage select and wgen we tried to let her play it she picked peach, cause ya know.....princess, and she got upset it wouldnt play.
I also think the upcoming Kirby game may workout well. In the gameplay for you draw on the touch screen and Kirby follows that path. It will have co op, where other players basically "platform" and run along those paths. It might be ball crushingly hard and bad suggestion because the game hasn't actually come out yet, but my little sister who was 6 liked to play the original game in that series for the DS.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Von Linus posted:

My daughter is 4 and thinks nothing is finer than creating blocks for me to jump on in New super mario brother u. There's also that art application which she likes.

Captain Toad looks like a good bet too.

Which art application is that? The Art Academy sketch pad? My daughter is getting to be a pro at the pokemon art academy and I really wish that they'd release something similar on the U to use the gamepad, but the sketch pad app didn't seem to have any directions or lessons associated with it.

Also, the kids love Mario Kart. They'll play the hell out of Mario Kart. And Captain Toad.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Captain toad is probably a good bet for someone really young, it could be challenging for them certainly but all there is to it is get toad to touch the star on the level. There's not any time limit so you could just have toad run in a circle which would be cute.

I dunno how smart are 4 year olds?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Gaffle posted:

One player is the survivor and kills zombies and tries to take capture points. The gamepad player has a map of the level and spends resources to spawn zombies and also capture the points. It's pretty fun!

It's really great for a non gamer girlfriend to spawn the zombies too.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Fix posted:

Which art application is that? The Art Academy sketch pad? My daughter is getting to be a pro at the pokemon art academy and I really wish that they'd release something similar on the U to use the gamepad, but the sketch pad app didn't seem to have any directions or lessons associated with it.

Also, the kids love Mario Kart. They'll play the hell out of Mario Kart. And Captain Toad.

There is a full-fledged Art Academy title in the works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LxzWefXIEQ

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Argue posted:

There is a full-fledged Art Academy title in the works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LxzWefXIEQ

Awesome. I forgot all about that. I wonder when that's coming along.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Just want to add that I'm a full grown adult and captain toad treasure tracker is one of the best games.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'm about to pull the trigger on a wii u premium based only on captain toad and smash bros. This can't be a bad idea?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on a wii u premium based only on captain toad and smash bros. This can't be a bad idea?

It is a good idea that you should act on. Also get Mario 3D World while you're at it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Blizzy_Cow posted:

If the disc is itself isn't scratched you should be able to play Brawl on WiiU just fine, along with any other Wii games you have.

Also, Hyrule Warriors has, like, four or five princesses you can play as and is a button mashing haven.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
There's been some chat in the Steam thread about Skies of Arcadia and it reminded me that i never finished my copy on the Gamecube.

The Wii was backwards compatible with GC games right? Does that mean the WiiU is as well?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kin posted:

There's been some chat in the Steam thread about Skies of Arcadia and it reminded me that i never finished my copy on the Gamecube.

The Wii was backwards compatible with GC games right? Does that mean the WiiU is as well?

The WiiU has the capability technically, but its disabled by default. You have to hack it to play Gamecube games on it and you can only load Roms.

Most Wiis are backwards compatible, but the absolute newest and cheapest models have that taken out as well.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Kin posted:

What you want is to hack your virtual Wii using a copy of Smash Bros Brawl and a non-SDHC card. Then using something called Nintendont you can play GC backups. You can use a lot of different controllers to do so.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Zore posted:

The WiiU has the capability technically, but its disabled by default. You have to hack it to play Gamecube games on it and you can only load Roms.

Seriously? Why wouldn't Nintendo take advantage of that and put GC games up for download on the Wii U store? Do they not want the fistfuls of cash that we would fork over for Eternal Darkness and Luigi's Mansion?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Seriously? Why wouldn't Nintendo take advantage of that and put GC games up for download on the Wii U store?
they will get to gc games on the vc in 30 years or so based on current trends, thank you for understanding

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Seriously? Why wouldn't Nintendo take advantage of that and put GC games up for download on the Wii U store? Do they not want the fistfuls of cash that we would fork over for Eternal Darkness and Luigi's Mansion?

Probably for the same reasons they won't put GBA games on the 3DS.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Of the PS2/XBox/GC, to me Gamecube is the most challenging one to get looking good on a modern tv. I doubt the Wii U is strong enough to run Dolphin at 1080p and 60FPS. I have a newer TV with tons of options and some good converters, direct component/composite, and a Gamecube that can do component. I've fiddled around with it A LOT and still can't get something like GC Twilight Princess, as an example, to look as good as it did on an SD tv. It is interesting though that many GC games have an option for 16:9. Eternal Darkness as an example looks rad as hell, I can't believe how good the texture artwork is for much of the game and how well it holds up even if the character models are weak.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

SeANMcBAY posted:

Probably for the same reasons they won't put GBA games on the 3DS.

There's a better reason for why they won't put GBA games on the 3DS than GC games on the Wii U.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Neo Rasa posted:

Of the PS2/XBox/GC, to me Gamecube is the most challenging one to get looking good on a modern tv. I doubt the Wii U is strong enough to run Dolphin at 1080p and 60FPS. I have a newer TV with tons of options and some good converters, direct component/composite, and a Gamecube that can do component. I've fiddled around with it A LOT and still can't get something like GC Twilight Princess, as an example, to look as good as it did on an SD tv. It is interesting though that many GC games have an option for 16:9. Eternal Darkness as an example looks rad as hell, I can't believe how good the texture artwork is for much of the game and how well it holds up even if the character models are weak.

Dolphin is cheating because it emulates a superpowered Wii GPU. There's no chance of a Wii U being able to run it, but it does have the power to run GC stuff natively, for the most part, which is all that matters. I half wonder if Gamecube games aren't being sold on the eShop despite Nintendon't running them mostly well is because the GC stuff really only works in Wii mode.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to have a "GC mode" the system goes into when you start a downloadable GC game if it already has a Wii's guts in it. Maybe they don't want to have something where when you're done playing you have to physically turn the system off and on again when done instead of being able to access the menus. So we have to wait til 2097 to download Super Mario Sunshine HD for $29.99.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
There is also the issue that the WiiU doesn't natively have Gamecube controller ports. The Wii basically ran Gamecube games because it had a Gamecube in it so they just ran as normal.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ah, I forgot about dolphin. I take it that only plays backups too? I'm only really interested in firing up my old copy and finishing it so if u can do that on a pc I'm cool with that.

Modding the virtual wii sounds daunting to me just now add I've only had the console for a few months and don't want to risk bricking it. I modded my original wii but only after a few years and not having anything else I desperately wanted to play on it. Is bricking it even something I should be worried about, or should everyone just hack it by default because it's foolproof and easy or something?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kin posted:

Ah, I forgot about dolphin. I take it that only plays backups too? I'm only really interested in firing up my old copy and finishing it so if u can do that on a pc I'm cool with that.

Modding the virtual wii sounds daunting to me just now add I've only had the console for a few months and don't want to risk bricking it. I modded my original wii but only after a few years and not having anything else I desperately wanted to play on it. Is bricking it even something I should be worried about, or should everyone just hack it by default because it's foolproof and easy or something?

Yeah, because Wii and GC disks use a proprietary format that most DVD readers can't recognize. You don't have to worry about bricking vWii mode unless you're doing really stupid things, like uninstalling WADs you shouldn't be or installing stuff not compatible. If you just wanna run Nintendon't, I think all you actually need to do modding wise is get the homebrew channel running.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Kin posted:

It's not virtual Wii mode. The Wii U literally has a Wii inside of it. All the hardware is in there for a Wii.

Edit: When you mod the Wii that's in the Wii U, it's the same as modding an actual Wii.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kin posted:

If you're just interested in playing a game you already own but don't have the means to play it normally then Dolphin's probably your best option.

If you do have the means to play it normally then do that, 1080p on SD games has like a 50/50 chance of looking fantastic or just looking slightly better than normal, and always comes with glitches though they are slowly but surely being removed as the emulator matures.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Nothing Wii U related to talk about in 2 days? Everyone watching AGDQ?

Not sure if it affects anyone on the forums, but Nintendo is apparently going to stop selling products in Brazil.

http://wiiudaily.com/2015/01/nintendo-leaving-brazil/

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Skimming through some of the stuff about modding - so if I want to run a Wii game that I no longer have the disk for but do have on an external hard drive, all I need to do is mod the vWii just like I would the original Wii to install homebrew and a USB loader?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Fremry posted:

Nothing Wii U related to talk about in 2 days? Everyone watching AGDQ?

The 2 times I've checked AGDQ today they were playing Kingdom Hearts 2 and Halo 2, respectively. loving lol at "awesome".

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Skimming through some of the stuff about modding - so if I want to run a Wii game that I no longer have the disk for but do have on an external hard drive, all I need to do is mod the vWii just like I would the original Wii to install homebrew and a USB loader?

Yeah.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Spiritus Nox posted:

That what i gathered but i think it's done in a slightly different way.

I'm sure i read that you need a "Y cable" (?) to connect a portable hard dive to the WiiU too.

I've been looking into Dolphin and it seems a little more complicated than your standard emulator. Like there are different configuration files for different backups, some don't work properly due to this, etc. While modding the vWii would generally be the most simple option.

I've just been wary of doing it because I've only had the WiiU for a short period of time and don't trust myself not to brick it in some fashion while I've still got a lot of use in it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Kin posted:

That what i gathered but i think it's done in a slightly different way.

I'm sure i read that you need a "Y cable" (?) to connect a portable hard dive to the WiiU too.

I've been looking into Dolphin and it seems a little more complicated than your standard emulator. Like there are different configuration files for different backups, some don't work properly due to this, etc. While modding the vWii would generally be the most simple option.

I've just been wary of doing it because I've only had the WiiU for a short period of time and don't trust myself not to brick it in some fashion while I've still got a lot of use in it.

Too many guides with step by step guides to gently caress it up.

But yeah, you need an external with either a Y-cable (portable) or external power (which is better, for a league of reasons).

On my vWii, I have my games, then my Gamecube games.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You can also use any Y-cable with a USB power adapter to make your hard drive externally powered if you don't want to take up two ports.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

Too many guides with step by step guides to gently caress it up.

But yeah, you need an external with either a Y-cable (portable) or external power (which is better, for a league of reasons).

On my vWii, I have my games, then my Gamecube games.

Interesting. I might just go ahead and do it then. I've got my old Wii sitting on a shelf in the living room for the homebrew stuff, but if i can get the WiiU to do it i can finally pack it away. I'll have to get the cable though as i made a dedicated HDD for it from a Western Digital mypassport (sits on top of the console and blends in perfectly).

I've got the regular wii pro/classic controller, but not tried to use it on the WiiU yet (hell, i've not even activated the vWii yet), is it compatible with it?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kin posted:

Interesting. I might just go ahead and do it then. I've got my old Wii sitting on a shelf in the living room for the homebrew stuff, but if i can get the WiiU to do it i can finally pack it away. I'll have to get the cable though as i made a dedicated HDD for it from a Western Digital mypassport (sits on top of the console and blends in perfectly).

I've got the regular wii pro/classic controller, but not tried to use it on the WiiU yet (hell, i've not even activated the vWii yet), is it compatible with it?

Yes the Wii Classic Controller is compatible with the Wii U and vWii mode.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
has it been difficult finding the new Amiibos

Captain Falcon is 35 dollars on amazon..

e: didnt see amiibo thread. I'm so sorry.

bef fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 11, 2015

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

I just joined the Wii U club, and I feel great. The wife and I busted out the old Wii on NYE, and had a blast, so fuckit, Xmas bonus bought a Wii U.
Got the Super Mario 3d World bundle, and just put about 2 hours into it. Really fun, really well done.
I'm thinking of picking up MK8 and likely Captain Toad - Smash at some point as well. So excited hahah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Katana Gomai posted:

The 2 times I've checked AGDQ today they were playing Kingdom Hearts 2 and Halo 2, respectively. loving lol at "awesome".

The first game they speed ran was Tropical Freeze and that poo poo was insane. Some of the poo poo he was doing was ridiculous. Moving at breakneck speed in the levels with a combination of rolls + Cranky's pogo. The strat they used for the pufferfish boss was :psyduck:

• Locked thread