Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Jamsque posted:

That's definitely the event I'm remembering, I guess it just didn't fire at all during my recent game. I wondered if one of the patches or expansions that hit since my last CKII binge had changed it.
Now that you mention it, I haven't seen that in forever either.

Not sure why, though. The event is 50005 in imprisoned_events.txt, and looks like it would still be functional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tsyni posted:

I don't know if this is exactly the case. I've played for 900 hours of iron man...I've found it to be quite enjoyable. Maybe I've been lucky with bugs, but I honestly can't think of a time where a bug hosed things up beyond repair, or even made things really difficult.

I dunno how much my 750 hours is ironman but I been using it since it came out and I've never had a game ending bug.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Tsyni posted:

Sure, that isn't game over though. For one, if the mongols take over France in an invasion, you'd still be kicking, just as a vassal of the mongols.

I guess I was annoyed that all my plotting had become irrelevant because an apocalyptic legion spawned two countries away. I didn't continue the game after I saw the Mongols marching through Germany.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Now that you mention it, I haven't seen that in forever either.

Not sure why, though. The event is 50005 in imprisoned_events.txt, and looks like it would still be functional.

I feel like it used to trigger for 100% of adult prisoners within a few days or weeks of imprisoning them, to the point where it was actually annoying, and now it never triggers, which bums me out because sometimes I really want to throw someone in the oubliette.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

QuoProQuid posted:

I guess I was annoyed that all my plotting had become irrelevant because an apocalyptic legion spawned two countries away. I didn't continue the game after I saw the Mongols marching through Germany.

The Golden Horde is stronger than the HRE?

Galdarion
Apr 13, 2014
surely you could mod it with some changes to the setup for the period. As an overhaul mod?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Alright sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm playing as the queen of Ireland and one of my vassals has the negative mood modifier "Wrong government type"

I think that's because he became a merchant republic at some point but I'm not sure how to fix this.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

MildManeredManikin posted:

Alright sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm playing as the queen of Ireland and one of my vassals has the negative mood modifier "Wrong government type"

I think that's because he became a merchant republic at some point but I'm not sure how to fix this.

You can't, he'll always be annoyed that you're a feudal lord. Just smooth it over with some cash and honorary titles.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Drop his levies to minimum, raise his taxes to maximum, and give him an honorary title or two. He'll give you a giant pile of cash (make a couple vassal merchant republics if you can), and will provide lovely troops so putting them at minimum doesn't matter.

Merchant Republics will end up providing you with thousands of gold as the game goes on, so just ignore the relations penalty and rake in the ducats.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Jamsque posted:

I feel like it used to trigger for 100% of adult prisoners within a few days or weeks of imprisoning them, to the point where it was actually annoying, and now it never triggers, which bums me out because sometimes I really want to throw someone in the oubliette.
On testing, it looks like the request event isn't getting to the captor, though I haven't yet figured out why.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

On testing, it looks like the request event isn't getting to the captor, though I haven't yet figured out why.

Literally game breaking bug can't believe Paradox put this out without testing I quit my job to spend my days fulfilling my throwing-people-in-poop fantasies via the medium of Crusader Kings II and now they have taken that from me for shame etc etc

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Groogy posted:

You missed the entire point of that it would require a completely different game with a completely different focus of gameplay on purpose right?

No I got the point, I was just seizing the opportunity to snark about start date creep.

Jamsque posted:

Yeah, I noticed this too actually. Hopefully it's on the list for patching.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I tried to google 'antipope' because the history you guys were talking about sounded interested, and I discovered a bunch of sites claiming Francis is an antipope.

Also this.

I am not enlightened.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I tried to google 'antipope' because the history you guys were talking about sounded interested, and I discovered a bunch of sites claiming Francis is an antipope.

Also this.

I am not enlightened.

An antipope refers to an individual claiming to be Pope that others believe to be illegitimately elected. These individuals have usually come out of disputed Papal Conclaves and resulted in the Church splitting down factional lines, with each side claiming that their Pope is legitimate and the other an imposter. The most famous instance of this occurred during the Western Schism, during which there were three rival Popes that had excommunicated each other and competed for support to destroy the others.

The term has been co-opted by Sedevacantists and Conclavists, ultra-conservative Catholics, to refer to any Pope elected after the reforms of Vatican II.

In-game, antipopes can be created from any bishop by the player. Creating an antipope gives you income from any bishop that prefers your candidate to the one occupying the Papacy at the cost of moral authority. You can also push your antipope's claim on the Papacy, which will give your candidate a major relations boost and install him on the papal throne.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

In-game, antipopes can be created from any bishop by the player. Creating an antipope gives you income from any bishop that prefers your candidate to the one occupying the Papacy at the cost of moral authority. You can also push your antipope's claim on the Papacy, which will give your candidate a major relations boost and install him on the papal throne.

And by "major relations boost" we mean "he will give you all the money and claims you want basically forever."

Installing a vassal pope is the closest thing CKII has to a "you beat the game" state, probably.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

SeaTard posted:

Drop his levies to minimum, raise his taxes to maximum, and give him an honorary title or two. He'll give you a giant pile of cash (make a couple vassal merchant republics if you can), and will provide lovely troops so putting them at minimum doesn't matter.

Merchant Republics will end up providing you with thousands of gold as the game goes on, so just ignore the relations penalty and rake in the ducats.

Is there a way to do that without doing it to everybody?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Is there a way to do that without doing it to everybody?

You do it for all city vassals. Which is fine, because all they are good for is making you money.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Speaking of merchant vassals, is it ok/"safe" to give them the kingdom title to the (small, 2 duchy) kingdom they're in if I already have absolute crown authority in the empire? Will it cause them to freak out or do anything crazy?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

VDay posted:

Speaking of merchant vassals, is it ok/"safe" to give them the kingdom title to the (small, 2 duchy) kingdom they're in if I already have absolute crown authority in the empire? Will it cause them to freak out or do anything crazy?

iirc you can't give kingdom titles to republics. they can form them if they have the necessary duchies however.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Well, this is just bizarre. eventid 50006, the event received by a captor when an imprisoned character requests better accomodations, will not fire. I can manually trigger it, but it it doesn't happen when the option to make the request is chosen - and when I change the code to trigger a different event instead, it's passed along properly.

I don't see anything wrong with the event that would prevent it from firing, though.

code:
#Host responds to the prisoner's request
character_event = {
	id = 50006
	desc = EVTDESC50006
	picture = GFX_evt_into_the_dungeon
	border = GFX_event_normal_frame_intrigue

is_triggered_only = yes

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA50006" # Denied
		trigger = {
			FROM = {
				prisoner = yes
			}
		}
		ai_chance = { factor = 34 }
	}

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTB50006" # Granted
		trigger = {
			FROM = {
				prisoner = yes
			}
		}
		ai_chance = { 
			factor = 33 
			modifier = {
				factor = 0
				trait = paranoid
			}
			modifier = {
				factor = 0
				trait = wroth
			}
			modifier = {
				factor = 5
				trait = kind
			}
		}
		tooltip = {
			FROM = {	
				add_character_modifier = { 
					name = house_arrest
					duration = -1
				}
			}
		}
		hidden_tooltip = {
			FROM = {
				character_event = {
					id = 50007
				}
			}
		}
	}

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTC50006" # The Oubliette!
		trigger = {
			FROM = {
				prisoner = yes
			}
		}
		ai_chance = { 
			factor = 33 
			modifier = {
				factor = 0
				trait = kind
			}
			modifier = {
				factor = 2
				trait = envious
			}
			modifier = {
				factor = 5
				trait = paranoid
			}
			modifier = {
				factor = 5
				trait = cruel
			}
			modifier = {
				factor = 5
				trait = wroth
			}
		}

tooltip = {
			FROM = {	
				add_character_modifier = {
					name = the_oubliette
					duration = -1
				}
			}
		}

hidden_tooltip = {
			FROM = {
				character_event = {
					id = 50008
				}
			}
		}
	}
	option = {
		name = "EVTOPTD50006" # Already released
		trigger = {
			FROM = {
				prisoner = no
			}
		}
	}
}
All seems pretty straightforward. I thought perhaps it could be that there weren't any quotation marks around the EVTDESC50006, since apparently localization was made stricter recently, but adding them in didn't change anything. This is seriously baffling.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

VDay posted:

I can't remember why, but I'm almost 100% sure you're better off with high than absolute when it comes to having a vassal republic. Think it has something to do with their ability to embargo, and conquer cities and trade posts. And yeah it's safe. It's best to have one really strong republic rather than a couple weak ones or one weak one. Just make it a point to remember that if one single vassal has a positive opinion of you, it's the doge.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I tried to duel my rival in my ironman Sicily game and had a CTD. Re-loaded, same thing.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Volkerball posted:

It's best to have one really strong republic rather than a couple weak ones
Why do you say that? Number of active trade posts scales almost linearly with the number of republics, unless you really go crazy with it.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Martello posted:

I tried to duel my rival in my ironman Sicily game and had a CTD. Re-loaded, same thing.

Make a bug report and provide the save and we'll have a look at it so the save isn't a waste.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

:stare: Well that's a new one.
How on earth do you get that trait? A rare event with the carousing focus?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Something slightly strange happened. I'm the Ivaring king of Wales and Brittany and soon to be emperor of Brittania if the emperor would stop surviving assassination attempts. The Byzantine emperor was married to a distant relative of mine and somehow their second oldest son ended up in my court. After I conquered Brittany I gave the kid a couple of counties there to avoid going over the limit. Some time later he converts one of the counties to Orthodox so I forced him to convert to Catholicism to prevent that sort of thing in the future. Not long after that he's suddenly emperor. Apparently his older brother died in some battle a year or so before their father died. So not only does the Byzantine empire have lands in Brittany now but they're run by a Catholic. There if of course a massive rebellion not long after he takes power but he rather effortlessly crushes it and now almost all his vassals are blind and/or castrated and the rest have converted. A few years later he dies from some disease and his daughter takes over. The empire itself is mostly Catholic now but I don´t think she stands much of a chance in the long run.

Other fun stuff:
-The Hungarians have formed Carpathia but somewhere along the way they became Catholic Russians.
-A very sinful pope, that I had assassinated because he was tanking the moral authority of the church, was dug up and put on trial after he died.
-I'm seeing if I can make "8====W===D*" a common name by naming the less important children it. Still no results.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 9, 2015

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Groogy posted:

Make a bug report and provide the save and we'll have a look at it so the save isn't a waste.

Posted.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

QuoProQuid posted:

Did they ever make it so people outside your realm will actually support your anti-pope?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

FreudianSlippers posted:

-A very sinful pope, that I had assassinated because he was tanking the moral authority of the church, was dug up and put on trial after he died.

Oh wow, that's great. That's a reference to a weird-but-true historical event, the Cadaver Synod.

It's one of those historical facts you can bust out at dinner parties to seem like a loving smarty, along with the Defenestration of Prague and the Dancing Plague of 1518. Also sets people up nicely for when you want to bullshit them about the Great Urine Flood of Vienna or other amusing lies.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Broken Cog posted:

You'd think being a cannibal would cause a hell of a lot worse of a relation penalty than -10.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

This happened in one of my games, except it wasn't actually the Pope's fault. Catholics kept declaring/losing dumb holy wars around Germany/Eastern Europe and it wrecked their moral authority, which caused a bunch of heresies to spring up and spread, which ended in 70% of Europe being Cathar. The Pope himself was an okay dude though, and would've ruled pretty well if newly-Catholic Saxony hadn't decided they really wanted to be Denmark and Poland's punching bag.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

Yep. Can happen if you go carousing with, or as, someone with the lunatic, possessed, or impaler traits.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
How do you get the possessed trait?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

add_trait possessed or at random.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Zun festivals.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Groogy posted:

You missed the entire point of that it would require a completely different game with a completely different focus of gameplay on purpose right?
The viceroy mechanics make a lot of the Late Imperial and Early Middle Ages politics of the (post-)Roman world function close-ish to how governors worked, though. That sort of thing even carried on into the Visigothic and Ostrogothic states a fair bit, until Justinian (:argh:) ruined the Ostrogoths and the Visigothics decided constant civil wars were the bee's knees.

I dunno, seems like the main thing needed is hashing out a better system than what the Magyars in Old Gods have for migrations, so a titular d_ title can move around, simultaneously gaining and losing provs. By your account, there's at least some designs drawn up somewhere for a pre-Schism Christianity, and viceroys and tribal governments should be able to cover a lot of ground between the (sub-)Roman world and the migrating peoples from the west.

CKII's probably more character-focused than what's needed for a game in that era, but it's already got a lot of the mechanics it needs to give it a solid go.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Is there any easy ingame way to get the lunatic trait? Lunatic Ragnar Lothbrok was the most fun I've had in ages and I want to try to repeat it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Is there any easy ingame way to get the lunatic trait? Lunatic Ragnar Lothbrok was the most fun I've had in ages and I want to try to repeat it.

Off topic, but if you're a lunatic with hunting focus and you get a dog, when the dog dies you can build it a pyramid which gives you -5 revolt risk in your capital permanently. Love this game.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

I've had it develop naturally from stressed/depressed, but I only saw it happen once. It's a shame because Lunatic is the best trait in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It seems like half my vassals at any given time are either Lunatic or Possessed, but gently caress if it ever happens to me. :argh:

• Locked thread