Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SirPhoebos posted:

There's got to be an alternative term for the setting trope because for better or worse 'post-apocalypse' brings to mind Mad Max, Terminator and Fallout when it could be applied to a much broader range of settings.

There's no reason why a trope about the downfall of civilization has to refer only to 21st century western civilization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

There's no reason why a trope about the downfall of civilization has to refer only to 21st century western civilization.
Yeah, the themes aren't necessarily connected to the tropes of 80s movies and video games inspired by those same movies.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Does anyone have that post from a million years ago that examine how Tolkien wrote battle scenes and how that related to the way that war was depicted in film and culture something? The Black Company was mentioned. Someone has to know what I'm talking about.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

End Of Worlds posted:

Does anyone have that post from a million years ago that examine how Tolkien wrote battle scenes and how that related to the way that war was depicted in film and culture something? The Black Company was mentioned. Someone has to know what I'm talking about.
Use the shiny new search function! I think there was conversation about how it was ironic that Tolkien got shat on for 'unrealistic battles, lacking the real veteran's experience' or some crap when he spent three months at the Somme.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

SirPhoebos posted:

There's got to be an alternative term for the setting trope because for better or worse 'post-apocalypse' brings to mind Mad Max, Terminator and Fallout when it could be applied to a much broader range of settings.

Gondor is more about longing for a Golden Age long past.

See this: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_Man

Edit: You could say that LotR is about the ushering in of a Heroic Age.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's also this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-50th-Anniversary-Edition/dp/0618517650/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

I just got this myself over the holidays and am reading through it now, it's a beautiful book. Runes are printed in red, the maps are fold-out and huge, there are color prints of the pages of the Book of Mazarbul.

I got this one too fairly recently, it's a great version if you're looking for a quality single-volume LOTR. It's a bit cumbersome physically to actually read, but that's probably unavoidable for 1000-page text.

I'm considering ripping the maps out because I always rip the edge a little bit anyway whenever I unfold them, am I a bad person?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Does the 2004 edition offer something over the newer edition?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Nessus posted:

I think it's heavily magnified from D&D and that argument in the council of elrond, mostly.

Pong Daddy posted:

Well, there was the whole Sack of Doriath thing too, some elves may have still held grudges about that. And weren't dwarves a little pissed nobody else helped them out when they cleared out all those orc fortresses to avenge Thror(or Thrain, I forget which)

e: Theres also the fact that many dwarves were less wholesome than the Longbeards/Durin's Folk and fought for Sauron.

Right, I'm not saying there was no tension at all, just that it was vastly magnified in the movies. There really wasn't even much of an argument at all at the council of elrond, least of all between Legs and Gims.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Levitate posted:

it was vastly magnified in the movies.

Everything is vastly magnified in the movies. There's like zero subtle moments anywhere. Everything is turned up to 11. But it ends up working (for the most part - "shareeee the loaaad"), since the story is epic to begin with.

AdmiralViscen posted:

Does the 2004 edition offer something over the newer edition?

I can't comment on the 50th anniversary edition, but I have the 40th and it owns as well (and looks the same on the outside it seems). It looks like the only major change is adding in the "actual" pages from the Dwarves' book in Moria.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Not just the War of Wrath, there have been multiple large and small apocalypses in Middle-Earth. The fall of Eregion, the sinking of Numenor, Moria, the collapse of Arnor and (slower but no less apocalyptic, I think) of Gondor. Even Smaug caused Dale to be a post-apocalyptic sort of area.

The War of the Last Alliance effectively depopulated a big chunk of the region we're familiar with - removed the Noldor as a serious player. The whole history of Middle-Earth is a long series of events that cause advanced societies to revert to subsistence states. It's why the founding of the Reunited Kingdom at the end of LotR is such a big deal and a huge part of the theme of mourning the loss of better elder days.

EDIT: VV Yeah I had forgotten about the Great Plague, too, thanks. VV

An important thing to remember is that most historical countries have been pretty heavily populated. Not as much as in the modern world, but if you got on a road and walked for five miles in either direction you'd find a town. Middle Earth is an abandoned world by comparison.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

NovemberMike posted:

An important thing to remember is that most historical countries have been pretty heavily populated. Not as much as in the modern world, but if you got on a road and walked for five miles in either direction you'd find a town. Middle Earth is an abandoned world by comparison.

Guessing two reasons for that. First, presumably JRRT didn't want to elaborate a whole economic model as it would have been a huge amount of work and his interest was in a) the tale and b) the languages. Second, TH and LOTR are essentially wilderness adventures. Relatively little time is spent in villages and I don't think there are very large cities in the whole of ME. (Is there any comment on the size of the biggest cities and which are they?) JRRT was enamoured with a rural/agrarian/medieval past and cities like Rome, Paris and Cologne were European rather than British. London didn't feature as a large city until well after the medieval period so in British minds, that period is inextricably viewed as low population density, villages and citadels rather than cities. I agree that ME does seem a lot less populated than pre-Black Death (and even post-BD) England was but describing a network of villages and trade routes would have been a huge job and not really to his purpose. What do you think?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

To a certain extent he probably just didn't think about how medieval societies actually organize themselves, but if you take it as a deliberate part of the setting then it does make Middle Earth a lonely and inhospitable place. This fits in well with the rest of the setting.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

A lot of LOTR is also deliberately steering clear of places of habitation I imagine. If they'd gone along the coast of Gondor they'd probably have found many more people (who would have likely either ratted them out to Sauron or take the Ring to Denethor)

I assume there were Dunedain settlements here and there, and the Shire and Bree were not exactly empty.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, once they left Bree Strider determined that between the 'swarthy half-orcs' that were giving them the stinkeye there and the black Rider attack afterwards their best bet was to head for the hills and take the scenic route to Rivendell. Then after the Council of Elrond the whole secret mission thing necessitated they take yet another long, circuitous route to avoid any settlements, bad guy, good guy or ? (see: Orthanc). So while they could've gone across the Misties where Bilbo et al went and hit up the Beornings and sailed on down the Anduin the whole way they decided that way was too populous/watched and went for Caradhras (which Sauron was able to throw snow at them and make them back down) then finally settled on Moria, since going through the Gap of Rohan would take them way too close to Saruman for Gandalf's liking and he didn't know what was up with the Rohirrim either since rumors of them selling black horses to Mordor were being bandied about and Gandalf and Aragorn were paranoid as all heck. Not to mention Boromir's growing obsession was probably not a good sign about going anywhere near Gondor.

Then after Lorien the river was the easiest way to avoid having to make a decision to go straight for the Black Gate or detour to Gondor and it went through what was basically no man's land between the orcs on one side of the river and the Rohirrim on the other. Boromir I think mentions that the orcs had been raiding villages on the Rohan side of the river and that's why it was so deserted, people had all pulled back to the towns and fortifications.

But yeah, Middle Earth was pretty depopulated compared to when say, the Numenoreans held sway or the kingdoms of Gondor and Arnor were at their peak. I think it was supposed to be more of a post-Roman pre-midieval period.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh, another thing I hadn't noticed before:

When they get to Buckland and all have baths. There are only three bathtubs. No bath for Sam. Merry, Pippin, and Frodo get a happy bath with happy bath song. Sam doesn't. Because he's a servant.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
communist detected ^^

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

When they get to Buckland and all have baths. There are only three bathtubs. No bath for Sam. Merry, Pippin, and Frodo get a happy bath with happy bath song. Sam doesn't. Because he's a servant.
I don't have the book to hand but I thought Pippin and Merry shared a tub or something. I recall Sam did get to go in though he might've gone second.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Oracle posted:

Caradhras (which Sauron was able to throw snow at them and make them back down)
Tangential, but was it Sauron? The impression I always got from the book is "Caradhras is a dickhead mountain that hates people and throws poo poo at them if it gets a chance" - I always liked that as an example of other powers in Middle Earth that don't give a poo poo about Rings or Elves or wizards or Sauron, you can all just piss off and stop walking on me.

So I rolled my eyes at Saruman summoning snowstorms in the movie, but did Tolkien ever make it explicit what was going on with that weather?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Runcible Cat posted:

Tangential, but was it Sauron? The impression I always got from the book is "Caradhras is a dickhead mountain that hates people and throws poo poo at them if it gets a chance" - I always liked that as an example of other powers in Middle Earth that don't give a poo poo about Rings or Elves or wizards or Sauron, you can all just piss off and stop walking on me.

So I rolled my eyes at Saruman summoning snowstorms in the movie, but did Tolkien ever make it explicit what was going on with that weather?

It isn't explicit in the book. Boromir says he hears voices in the wind and thinks the falling rocks are aimed at the party, Aragorn doesn't think there are voices but mentions old evils in the world not necessarily aligned with Sauron, and Gimli gets tinfoily about the actual mountain hating dwarves and elves. The movie takes Boromir's voices and attributes them to Saruman.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

There's also this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-50th-Anniversary-Edition/dp/0618517650/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

I just got this myself over the holidays and am reading through it now, it's a beautiful book. Runes are printed in red, the maps are fold-out and huge, there are color prints of the pages of the Book of Mazarbul.

I'm planning to reread tolkien's stuff in the near future and want to finally get my own books instead of repeatedly borrowing the library copies. This definitely seems like the edition of LOTR to go with, but what version of the silmarillion would you guys recommend? The 2004 illustarted hardcover? http://www.amazon.com/The-Silmarillion-J-R-R-Tolkien/dp/0618391118/ref=tmm_hrd_title_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420888591&sr=8-1

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I always read that as Merry riding ahead and having his bath, then three baths for the three travellers. He's not in there with Frodo and Pippin during the Hot Water song, though. They escape from the Black Riders, and then...

quote:

‘All right! You and Pippin know your way; so I’ll just ride on and tell Fatty Bolger that you are coming. We’ll see about supper and things.’
‘We had our supper early with Farmer Maggot,’ said Frodo; ‘but we could do with another.’
‘You shall have it! Give me that basket!’ said Merry, and rode ahead into the darkness.

Description of Crickhollow, then...

quote:

The travellers hung up their cloaks, and piled their packs on the floor. Merry led them down the passage and threw open a door at the far end. Firelight came out, and a puff of steam.
‘A bath!’ cried Pippin. ‘O blessed Meriadoc!’
‘Which order shall we go in?’ said Frodo. ‘Eldest first, or quickest first? You’ll be last either way, Master Peregrin.’
‘Trust me to arrange things better than that!’ said Merry. ‘We can’t begin life at Crickhollow with a quarrel over baths. In that room there are three tubs, and a copper full of boiling water. There are also towels, mats and soap. Get inside, and be quick!’
Merry and Fatty went into the kitchen on the other side of the passage, and busied themselves with the final preparations for a late supper. Snatches of competing songs came from the bathroom mixed with the sound of splashing and wallowing. The voice of Pippin was suddenly lifted up above the others in one of Bilbo’s favourite bath-songs.
(Hot Water song)
There was a terrific splash, and a shout of Whoa! from Frodo. It appeared that a lot of Pippin’s bath had imitated a fountain and leaped on high. Merry went to the door:
‘What about supper and beer in the throat?’ he called.
Frodo came out drying his hair. ‘There’s so much water in the air that I’m coming into the kitchen to finish,’ he said.
‘Lawks!’ said Merry, looking in. The stone floor was swimming. ‘You ought to mop all that up before you get anything to eat, Peregrin,’ he said. ‘Hurry up, or we shan’t wait for you.’

Sam disappears from the narrative completely for a few pages - he looks over his shoulder at a black shape after crossing the Brandywine, then isn't mentioned again until after dinner when he assists Pippin in re-telling the story of the journey from Hobbiton, so I guess you could still have it either way if you wanted - either he's in there but not mentioned (probably feeling a bit self-conscious in the presence of his betters) or propriety/King's Regulations/whatever doesn't allow him to use the same tub that the Brandybuck arse has recently vacated, or to have his bath at the same time.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 10, 2015

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
Well I found it and it's great so I'm going to repost it here, thanks

A more charitable response to the Wheel of Time would be that the Lord of the Rings was a fantasy response to the World Wars (one and two) written by an Oxford professor of ancient Anglo-Saxon literature, while the Wheel of Time is a fantasy response to Vietnam written by an American nuclear engineer.

WoT is a good series in its own way but it's not Tolkien and not for everyone. Both LotR and WoT are, to some extent at least, about the experience of going to war and how that changes you.

Anyone who claims WoT is better than LotR is dumb though. WoT is good in its own way -- if you like sinking yourself into a gratuitously huge series, it's great for that. It's very American in the same way that LotR is very English.

TO illustrate with an example on the specific topic of battle scenes, both Jordan and Tolkien tend to use soldier's eye level narratives. Tolkien uses a more traditional style -- Big Event, Big Event, Big Event -- while Jordan tends to use sharp jumps between different points of view none of which fully understand what's going on at the time, followed up by flashback reconstructions until you get a full picture of what happened (again, compare, say, WW 2 cinema and Vietnam-era war cinema). You can tell both authors have seen real combat but Tolkien's style is more traditional and Jordan's more modern. Compare either of them to a modern writer who hasn't seen combat -- say, Brandon Sanderson -- and you can really see the difference.

My guess is your friend more easily recognizes Jordan's writing as "real combat" because Jordan's more chaotic, snapshot-image style is more in tune with modern-era war movies. It's the other side of the coin with people who think Tolkien was bad at writing characters because they lack the literary background to recognize that he was deliberately writing saga archetypes most of the time.

The Belgian posted:

I'm planning to reread tolkien's stuff in the near future and want to finally get my own books instead of repeatedly borrowing the library copies. This definitely seems like the edition of LOTR to go with, but what version of the silmarillion would you guys recommend? The 2004 illustarted hardcover? http://www.amazon.com/The-Silmarillion-J-R-R-Tolkien/dp/0618391118/ref=tmm_hrd_title_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420888591&sr=8-1

This edition is absolutely gorgeous, but it's huge and cumbersome to carry around - it's more of a coffee table book. I'd definitely recommend grabbing it if you like the Silmarillion, but I'm not sure that it'd be the best place to start. I might suggest this one instead: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0544338014/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_0TvSub1FFY742

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 10, 2015

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
e: double post

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

No Pants posted:

It isn't explicit in the book. Boromir says he hears voices in the wind and thinks the falling rocks are aimed at the party, Aragorn doesn't think there are voices but mentions old evils in the world not necessarily aligned with Sauron, and Gimli gets tinfoily about the actual mountain hating dwarves and elves. The movie takes Boromir's voices and attributes them to Saruman.

Aragon says something like 'Sauron's arm has grown long indeed if he can hurl snow at us from 300 miles away' and Gandalf replies in typical Gandalf fashion 'His arm has grown long' which I always took as confirmation that Gandalf at least thinks its Sauron behind it, but yeah ultimately its left up to the reader which they believe.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

End Of Worlds posted:

Well I found it and it's great so I'm going to repost it here, thanks

This edition is absolutely gorgeous, but it's huge and cumbersome to carry around - it's more of a coffee table book. I'd definitely recommend grabbing it if you like the Silmarillion, but I'm not sure that it'd be the best place to start. I might suggest this one instead: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0544338014/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_0TvSub1FFY742

Thanks! I've already read Tolkien's work multiple times (except unfinisched tales/HoME) and love it, a big fancy edition is exactly what I'm looking for.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

No Pants posted:

I must have liked Gimli's explanation most when I first read it. But are there any other examples in Middle-Earth of actual places with, well, sentience or personality or whatever it is that Caradhras would have in that case, that aren't that way because someone/something powerful lives hangs out there? (Barring the various forests, which are presumably down to elves/ents/Bombadil/Dol Guldur's runoff etc.)

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
There's that wonderful chapter where the Fellowship are walking through Hollin and they can sense that the rocks have some kind of sentience or emotion but that may be because they were spoken to long ago by elves, like the forests you mentioned.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

quote:

'There is a wholesome air about Hollin. Much evil must befall a country before it wholly forgets the Elves, if once they dwelt there.'

'That is true,' said Legolas. `But the Elves of this land were of a race strange to us of the silvan folk, and the trees and the grass do not now remember them: Only I hear the stones lament them: Deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago.'

In many cases sentience in nature is because the Elves woke them and talked to them. The Ents were there before or at the same time as the Elves but otherwise got along very well. Treebeard mentions that the Elves also woke trees to speak to them as well.

There was also Old Man Willow from the Barrow-Downs. He was alive but also a malicious rear end in a top hat.

There's an understanding in the text that all nature is alive and could speak if it was so inclined. There's references to sentient rivers as well. The bubbling river in Lothlorien mimics the song of Nimrodel because that's where Amroth drowned, right?

HIJK fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 11, 2015

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
In retrospect I was really lucky to see Fellowship before I read the books because I thought Saruman summoning the storm was an awesome scene. Even with the knowledge from the books I think it's a good scene, it builds up Saruman as a legitimate threat and still depicts Tolkien's magic as more subtle than D&D fireballs; I got the impression that Saruman wasn't creating the storm himself but just directing the clouds towards Caradhras. Also, Gandalf's failed counter-spell nicely indicates the power gap between the two wizards, much better than their Force duel earlier in the film (which I don't hate either but it's probably the cheesiest scene after ALL SHALL LOVE ME).

radlum
May 13, 2013
I just re watched The Two Towers and I was left wondering something. Why was Saruman powerless to stop the ents from attacking Isengard? I don't have my book with me so I can't check it out, and it seemed really odd that during the attack on Isengard in the movie all Christopher Lee has to do is look around with a weird expression on his face.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I always understood the power and magic of Saruman to be in his knowledge, crafting, and persuasion, not raw personal offensive magic (and was not fond of much of his portrayal in the movies) but he had a blind spot where the Ents were concerned. He didn't consider them a threat, and when they got riled up and took action (which perhaps would not have happened without Merry and Pippin turning up), much of his forces had already departed. The Ents took losses (some quite severe), and were unable to destroy the tower itself, but flooded the valley and kept him bottled up until Gandalf could deal with him.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

radlum posted:

I just re watched The Two Towers and I was left wondering something. Why was Saruman powerless to stop the ents from attacking Isengard? I don't have my book with me so I can't check it out, and it seemed really odd that during the attack on Isengard in the movie all Christopher Lee has to do is look around with a weird expression on his face.

He wasn't expecting the Ents to do anything, they waited until his army had left Isengard, Ents are incredibly strong and tough, and Treebeard was able to neutralize his defenses after he managed to kill one Ent.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Yeah, book Saruman causes some injuries and at least one ent fatality with steam and fire from the underground machinery. The movie battle is (understandably) scaled down quite a bit.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Pippin pretty much asks the same question about Saruman's magic in Two Towers right before they go to talk to him.

quote:

'What's the danger?' asked Pippin. 'Will he shoot at us, and pour fire out of the windows; or can he put a spell on us from a distance?'
'The last is most likely, if you ride to his door with a light heart,' said Gandalf. 'But there is no knowing what he can do, or may choose to try. A wild beast cornered is not safe to approach. And Saruman has powers you do not guess. Beware of his voice!'

And a little before that, Aragorn and Pippin are talking specifically about Saruman's voice:

quote:

'No,' said Aragorn. 'Once he was as great as his fame made him. His knowledge was deep, his thought was subtle, and his hands marvellously skilled; and he had a power over the minds of others. The wise he could persuade, and the smaller folk he could daunt. That power he certainly still keeps. There are not many in Middle-earth that I should say were safe, if they were left alone to talk with him, even now when he has suffered a defeat. Gandalf, Elrond, and Galadriel, perhaps, now that his wickedness has been laid bare, but very few others.'
'The Ents are safe,' said Pippin. 'He seems at one time to have got round them, but never again. And anyway he did not understand them; and he made the great mistake of leaving them out of his calculations. He had no plan for them, and there was no time to make any, once they had set to work. ...'

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I thought that scene where Saruman just sounds so reasonable and persuasive and everyone's sort of drooping and figuring now he's going to go plot with Gandalf and maybe Aragorn and they'll all just sit tight until they get instructions was quite on point. It reminded me of the discouragement people feel nowadays about politics, though unfortunately we are short on Gandalfs to dispel things.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Gandalf and Saruman only really have the power to manipulate others, Saruman with his words and Gandalf with his presence. To me it's fairly clear that Saruman's voice is so powerful it even works on Gandalf, right up until the point where Gandalf is taken prisoner (hence why he doubts Saruman but doesn't actually do anything about it until much later).

I find all the "wizard duel" stuff in the movies really off-putting, particularly that scene in Fellowship where Gandalf and Saruman fight. I actually find Galadriel-as-barely-contained-sorcerer to be more believable and in keeping with the books than wizard fights.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

I always thought it was interesting how similar Sauron and Saruman end up being - both Maiar of Aule, both with an interest in machines and efficiency, both having a great talent for manipulating people using rhetoric. Aule really had bad luck with Maiar.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Honestly, knowing Tolkien's views on industry, and Aule's focus on personal craft and his own designs, it does kind of make sense. And isn't there a throwaway line about how Aule was really similar in terms of his mentality to Melkor? If any Maiar were gonna go bad, seems like they'd be his.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Yeah, Aulë himself also defied the will of Ilúvatar when he created the Dwarves, so a rebellious streak in his Maiar isn't totally a surprise.

They weren't the only ones though - Ossë was Ulmo's vassal, and he went bad for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Nessus posted:

I thought that scene where Saruman just sounds so reasonable and persuasive and everyone's sort of drooping and figuring now he's going to go plot with Gandalf and maybe Aragorn and they'll all just sit tight until they get instructions was quite on point. It reminded me of the discouragement people feel nowadays about politics, though unfortunately we are short on Gandalfs to dispel things.

I don't think it was Gandalf that did a whole lot, it was Theoden who looked like he was being persuaded and then said "what the gently caress you've waged war on us and killed our people gently caress you" and then Saruman flipped his poo poo at that and that kind of broke the spell

e: actually a little of both. Theoden resisted Saruman himself and that surprised his people and Saruman's reaction at the refusal also kind of alienated them, but then Saruman put all his effort into charming Gandalf and everyone else was thinking like what you said until Gandalf laughed at him.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 12, 2015