Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

Now you're just being actusrhesus. The whole idea is once the morons knuckle under and accept vaccination they can go free.

But why didn't they do that for Shithands Mary? Why did they only quarantine a single actively-infected person, rather than all the people who hadn't gotten the vaccine?

GreyPowerVan posted:

Are you more aware of the law? Even when I disagree with actus, I'm mostly just disagreeing that the laws should work that way, more than the fact that they do.

As a general rule of thumb, fishmech is not aware of anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GreyPowerVan posted:

Are you more aware of the law? Even when I disagree with actus, I'm mostly just disagreeing that the laws should work that way, more than the fact that they do.

He specifically tried to claim you can't prove criminal intent just from parental ignorance, despite that parents have been convicted in the past for various forms of neglect they at least claimed to not know or understand was neglect, as one example.

See: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/05/nyregion/couple-guilty-of-assault-in-vegan-case.html

Main Paineframe posted:

But why didn't they do that for Shithands Mary? Why did they only quarantine a single actively-infected person, rather than all the people who hadn't gotten the vaccine?

Because she had the disease. Thanks for reinforcing my point: that Typhoid Mary was punished for having the disease and spreading it. :waycool:

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 9, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Nintendo Kid posted:

He sure doesn't seem aware of actual law for one.

bahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

you're cute.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ActusRhesus posted:

bahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

you're cute.

And you're clearly stupid, according to yourself.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

Nintendo Kid posted:

He specifically tried to claim you can't prove criminal intent just from parental ignorance, despite that parents have been convicted in the past for various forms of neglect they at least claimed to not know or understand was neglect, as one example.

See: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/05/nyregion/couple-guilty-of-assault-in-vegan-case.html

I read that article, and the prosecutor comes right out and says that the charges were brought not because the diet was inherently neglectful, but because the parents failed to seek medical care as the child's condition worsened.

"He said that no matter what the parents' intentions, their failure to seek any type of medical care as IIce's condition worsened merited the criminal charges. "

The kid's condition was described as:

"By the time the authorities intervened when the child was 15 months old, she was toothless, had rickets, broken bones and internal injuries. She was severely malnourished and weighed 10 pounds -- less than half the normal weight for a young toddler."

Not treating a sick kid has pretty well established precedent for bringing charges.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

tehllama posted:

I read that article, and the prosecutor comes right out and says that the charges were brought not because the diet was inherently neglectful, but because the parents failed to seek medical care as the child's condition worsened.

Refusing to get vaccinations is refusing to seek medical care. Simple.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

tehllama posted:

"He said that no matter what the parents' intentions, their failure to seek any type of medical care as IIce's condition worsened merited the criminal charges. "

The kid's condition was described as:

"By the time the authorities intervened when the child was 15 months old, she was toothless, had rickets, broken bones and internal injuries. She was severely malnourished and weighed 10 pounds -- less than half the normal weight for a young toddler."

Not treating a sick kid has pretty well established precedent for bringing charges.

The relevant English legal concept would be that any reasonable person ought to have believed that such a person was in danger of harm. In that respect fishmech is right that ignorance isn't necessarily a defence at law, but I'm pretty sure ActusRhesus knows what the gently caress is up.

quote:

Refusing to get vaccinations is refusing to seek medical care. Simple.

Actually, those things aren't treated at all similarly with respect to legal ideas of causality.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Right. nintendo kid's problem is that he keeps trying to equate how courts handle

a. deliberately abusing your kid by starving them, beating them, whatever
b. negligently doing or not doing something to your kid that will result in certain death
c. failing to seek medical attention after something you did or didn't do results in medical harm
d. not doing something that might, possibly, result in harm at a later time.

there's also a lot of conflating of civil and criminal liabilities, and punitive measures and regulatory measures.

Basically everything he types now is the mental equivalent of the "random chains" corner of my jewelry box...sure I could take the time to untangle that mess...it's possible...but I don't even know where to start.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ActusRhesus posted:

Right. nintendo kid's problem is that he keeps trying to equate how courts handle

a. deliberately abusing your kid by starving them, beating them, whatever
b. negligently doing or not doing something to your kid that will result in certain death
c. failing to seek medical attention after something you did or didn't do results in medical harm
d. not doing something that might, possibly, result in harm at a later time.

there's also a lot of conflating of civil and criminal liabilities, and punitive measures and regulatory measures.

Basically everything he types now is the mental equivalent of the "random chains" corner of my jewelry box...sure I could take the time to untangle that mess...it's possible...but I don't even know where to start.

Start with not being stupid (your words there).

Refusing to vaccinate children leads to certain death past a certain point, therefore all that can be done to prevent the spread of this behavior should be done.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Disinterested posted:

The relevant English legal concept would be that any reasonable person ought to have believed that such a person was in danger of harm. In that respect fishmech is right that ignorance isn't necessarily a defence at law, but I'm pretty sure ActusRhesus knows what the gently caress is up.

Actually, those things aren't treated at all similarly with respect to legal ideas of causality.

right...he's taking buzzwords and catch phrases and applying them to situations in which they are not applicable.

Ignorance of the law is not a defense...but ignorance of fact may negate a person's mens rea in a specific intent crime.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ActusRhesus posted:

right...he's taking buzzwords and catch phrases and applying them to situations in which they are not applicable.

Ignorance of the law is not a defense...but ignorance of fact may negate a person's mens rea in a specific intent crime.

It sure didn't in that case or many others!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Start with not being stupid (your words there).

Refusing to vaccinate children leads to certain death past a certain point, therefore all that can be done to prevent the spread of this behavior should be done.

except no...it doesn't because, as has been pointed out repeatedly, thanks to all the people that do not believe the Jenny McCarthys of the world, the risk of contracting a vaccine preventable disease is still very low...as opposed to not feeding your kids.

All mammals who do not eat will die. Not all mammals who are not vaccinated will get sick.

(Again, Irony alert...because of the success of vaccines)

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

It sure didn't in that case or many others!

negligence is not a specific intent crime. the big analysis there is "reasonably foreseeable risk of substantial harm" in a criminal context or "duty, breach, causation, damages" in civil.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ActusRhesus posted:

except no...it doesn't because, as has been pointed out repeatedly, thanks to all the people that do not believe the Jenny McCarthys of the world, the risk of contracting a vaccine preventable disease is still very low...as opposed to not feeding your kids.

Yes this is because incidence of non-vaccination has remained low in most places. Places it hasn't, you've had sudden outbreaks that kill and maim many people.

ActusRhesus posted:

negligence is not a specific intent crime. the big analysis there is "reasonably foreseeable risk of substantial harm" in a criminal context or "duty, breach, causation, damages" in civil.

So you agree there's nothing preventing a law that specifically criminalizes avoiding vaccines, good.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 9, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

The classic example being: you can't murder someone by accident. And you have an accident on purpose.

There is a reason why there is a separate criminal offence of manslaughter in more or less every jurisdiction - exactly this one.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

So you agree there's nothing preventing a law that specifically criminalizes avoiding vaccines, good.

That's not what I said at all. Now you are being deliberately obtuse.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Disinterested posted:

The classic example being: you can't murder someone by accident. And you have an accident on purpose.

There is a reason why there is a separate criminal offence of manslaughter in more or less every jurisdiction - exactly this one.

and in a lot of jurisdictions, absent aggravating factor like DUI or use of a firearm, negligent homicide is a misdemeanor.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

and in a lot of jurisdictions, absent aggravating factor like DUI or use of a firearm, negligent homicide is a misdemeanor.

In the UK, you would have to either kill someone by committing another illegal act, or be grossly negligent. It's almost as if the law has a framework for dealing with different types of intentionality and causation.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

ActusRhesus posted:

Is this obtuse as being more defined by a layman or more of a legalese definition of obtuse?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ActusRhesus posted:

You're the one being obtuse.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

I know you are but what am I? *fart* MOM! ACTUS RHESUS IS PICKING ON ME AGAIN!

Nintendo Kid's mom posted:

*wipes hands on apron and calls down to basement* It's OK, Billy. Come upstairs and have a hot pocket. And wash your hands first!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

haha holy poo poo, what the gently caress is this

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

You have now admitted you have no argument. Great job!

Leo Showers posted:

haha holy poo poo, what the gently caress is this

Well you can't call it a meltdown because of the 15th amendment.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

let me internet school you with my volumes of legal knowledge (resorts to *fart or whatever to win an internet argument)

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Leo Showers posted:

let me internet school you with my volumes of legal knowledge (resorts to *fart or whatever to win an internet argument)

An argument implies there is more than one side. Legally "punishment" is a criminal law concept. Legally negligence requires a reasonably foreseeable substantial risk. Legally omissions and actions are treated differently.

This is not Actus Rhesus's view of the law...it's pretty basic concepts.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 9, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Yes keep putting your own attitude into my mouth. :)

It's nice to see you admitting that you were wrong about punishment, though.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

By all accounts ActusRhesus, with the notable exception of the beep-boop no humanity lawyer gimmick, had the argument in the bag but still felt inclined to drop that steaming hot load of *fart* and then it was game over.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Man, on the one hand we have the literal mouth of the law which I disagree with and on the other we have fishmech

well.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Seriously, kid, what the gently caress is wrong with you?

I'm not even trying to pick a fight here...I'm trying to clarify how the law works for you.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

ActusRhesus posted:

I'm not even trying to pick a fight here...I'm trying to clarify how the law works for you.

We know but you still went full retard fart soooo

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

Your uh fart post with his mom or something was a little unnecessary

also you're calling him a kid now, you may consider putting him on your ignore list instead. You would save everyone a lot of headaches because I'm not sure where this thread is headed right now.

At least we can all agree vaccinations are good.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 9, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ActusRhesus posted:

No you're melting down and shouting about farts because you can't bring yourself to admit you don't understand the thread. You're also still wrong about punishment only existing as a result of convictions.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

No you're melting down and shouting about farts because you can't bring yourself to admit you don't understand the thread. You're also still wrong about punishment only existing as a result of convictions.

If by melting down you mean eating melted brie en croute and shaking my head at you, sure.

So, what exactly don't I understand. Enlighten me.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ActusRhesus posted:

If by melting down you mean eating melted brie en croute and shaking my head at you, sure.

You don't understand anything, buddy. For example, you think bragging about melted cheese is a good way to win an argument over vaccines.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

ActusRhesus posted:

please dont go down this path, please

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

You don't understand anything, buddy. For example, you think bragging about melted cheese is a good way to win an argument over vaccines.

your first mistake is assuming I am trying to "win" anything. Again, this is not an argument. it's not a debate.

and again, please, tell me what, exactly, I don't understand.

Also, melted cheese is delicious. who wouldn't want that?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ActusRhesus posted:

your first mistake is assuming I am trying to "win" anything. Again, this is not an argument. it's not a debate.

and again, please, tell me what, exactly, I don't understand.

Also, melted cheese is delicious. who wouldn't want that?

You're not debating though, you're trying to brag about some supermarket cheese because you're incapable of proving that punishments don't exist outside of convictions. What are you even on?

What, exactly, you don't understand is everything you've claimed to talk about today.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Nintendo Kid posted:

You're not debating though, you're trying to brag about some supermarket cheese because you're incapable of proving that punishments don't exist outside of convictions. What are you even on?
ActusRhesus would be correct in not debating your legal opinions, since they are just obviously trivially wrong. You don't debate people who say 2+2=5.

twodot fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 9, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

twodot posted:

ActusRehsus would be correct in not debating your legal opinions, since they are just obviously trivially wrong. You don't debate people who say 2+2=5.

true...but the former professor in me really wants to help people understand. one more crack and then back to cheese. because cheese is delicious.

Here we go...try to follow. Under US law, "punishments" "penalties" and "restrictions" are not the same thing.

Punishments are a criminal concept. They are what we do to "bad people" after they've gotten a trial.

Penalties are usually a civil concept. They are sanctions we impose for non-criminal conduct. (not to be confused with fines, which are often punishments)

Restrictions are a regulatory concept.

the state's power to impose any of the above come from different authoritative sources, and the rights and protections afforded to people facing them will also be different.

So, the questions

1. Can I put someone in jail for not vaccinating?
2. Can I sue someone if their unvaccinated kid gets me sick?
3. Can the state kick unvaccinated kids out of public school?
4. Can the state quarantine kids with measels?

Are all analyzed differently.

This is not some crazy out there theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

twodot posted:

ActusRhesus would be correct in not debating your legal opinions, since they are just obviously trivially wrong. You don't debate people who say 2+2=5.

That's not my legal opinion, friend.

ActusRhesus posted:

true...but the former professor in me really wants to help people understand. one more crack and then back to cheese. because cheese is delicious.

Here we go...try to follow. Under US law, "punishments" "penalties" and "restrictions" are not the same thing.

Punishments are a criminal concept. They are what we do to "bad people" after they've gotten a trial.

Penalties are usually a civil concept. They are sanctions we impose for non-criminal conduct. (not to be confused with fines, which are often punishments)

Restrictions are a regulatory concept.

the state's power to impose any of the above come from different authoritative sources, and the rights and protections afforded to people facing them will also be different.

So, the questions

1. Can I put someone in jail for not vaccinating?
2. Can I sue someone if their unvaccinated kid gets me sick?
3. Can the state kick unvaccinated kids out of public school?
4. Can the state quarantine kids with measels?

Are all analyzed differently.

This is not some crazy out there theory.

This is all utterly irrelevant to the fact that things can be punishments without being the result of convictions.

• Locked thread